As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What are you gonna do with Free Money? (2008 Stimulus Check, Maybe NSF56k)

• Options
    babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Fellhand wrote: »
    You make me feel a little bit better about my 40K in student loans.

Cars and houses are expensive. After you graduate claim a piece of land and build a log cabin.

babyeatingjesus on
    hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Fuck that, rob banks and live on the lam like a modern day Jesse James.

Hunter on
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Cars and houses are expensive. After you graduate claim a piece of land and build a log cabin.

I have graduated and have been paying on them for five years. Supposedly I'll be debt free in five more, but I'm thinking it's going to take longer.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

I have graduated and have been paying on them for five years. Supposedly I'll be debt free in five more, but I'm thinking it's going to take longer.

Jesus. Fake your own death and change your name.

Of course, then your diploma won't count for much.

babyeatingjesus on
    hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm gonna buy my PAX plane ticket. Maybe if I have money left over I'll fully pay off a preorder on Fallout 3 or somethin'.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    life3life3 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    What is the reasoning behind the gun purchases again?

life3 on
    HOW APPROPRIATE [URL="aim:goim?screenname=skullc0rp"]YOU[/URL] FIGHT LIKE A COW
  • Options
    msuitepyonmsuitepyon Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    life3 wrote: »

I enjoy shooting firearms. Is there a problem with this?

msuitepyon on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2008
    pay off as much of my credit card as I can so I can start school slightly less completely fucking broke.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    msuitepyon wrote: »

No, I just need a reason to buy a gun for myself. Something to convince my rational side because 'zombie apocalypse' isn't cutting it.

life3 on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

No, I just need a reason to buy a gun for myself. Something to convince my rational side because 'zombie apocalypse' isn't cutting it.

Ah. Well, I find shooting to be fun. You can get into competitive shooting, too.

msuitepyon on
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    You could be a gangster, maybe.

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    JoeUser wrote: »
    Come May 16 it's "Hello 300 wing-wangs!" for me.

WIll it only be $300 for you? It only starts to reduce from $600 once you earn 75k or more.

Or if you don't have to pay any additional taxes. If you don't have any tax liability (i.e. you receive a refund), then you only get $300.

Wrong. If you get a refund and make under 75k you still get the $600. The $300 is for people who don't pay income Taxes from their paychecks and still file. The people who make less than 75k and get refunds is exactly the demographic they are trying to reach - because they are the ones that will most likely go out and spend the money.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

After the government collapses they'll be much more useful for claiming food and supplies from the other survivors than sticks or knives.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    MagicPrime wrote: »

WIll it only be $300 for you? It only starts to reduce from $600 once you earn 75k or more.

Or if you don't have to pay any additional taxes. If you don't have any tax liability (i.e. you receive a refund), then you only get $300.

Wrong. If you get a refund and make under 75k you still get the $600. The $300 is for people who don't pay income Taxes from their paychecks and file.

This says I get $300.

msuitepyon on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The same thing told me and my wife that we get 1200.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    Captain CthulhuCaptain Cthulhu Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm puttin it towards one of these babies
    35314d861cdfa32078d4fbd4cbd1ccc2.jpg

Or maybe one of these babies, I haven't decided yet.

desktop_b.jpg

Captain Cthulhu on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Becoming a gangter, competitive shooting, collapse of society; Thank you friends, I think I can work with this!

life3 on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2008
    hey cap

you wanna buy a keytar?

my buddy has a really nice one he's thinking of selling.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    Wrong. If you get a refund and make under 75k you still get the $600. The $300 is for people who don't pay income Taxes from their paychecks and file.
    This says I get $300.
    If you make a really low or high amount of money, the stimulus check gets cut.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    hey cap

you wanna buy a keytar?

my buddy has a really nice one he's thinking of selling.

What kind is it? I already have one of these, but I might be down to get a different one for the right price.

DSC00426a.jpg

Captain Cthulhu on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I dunno, but it has to be better than that one. That one has old weirdo chick all over it.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    PussumPussum Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The lower end of that Keytar must smell something fierce.

Pussum on
    venomsigva5.png
  • Options
    taoistlumberjaktaoistlumberjak Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Why is ring shopping this complicated?

taoistlumberjak on
    grillsgrillsgrills.jpg
  • Options
    the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm unsure if I'm going to get anything back

at the bottom of the stimulus package payment schedule page, it has this little ditty
    Some taxpayers may receive smaller economic stimulus payments than they anticipated. By law, the stimulus payments are offset to satisfy past-due taxes, student loans, child support and certain other debts.

and i owe well over $600 in student loans

so who knows?

the wook on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Either put it into computer upgrades, or just save it.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    WallhitterWallhitter Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    My econ class has been discussing the shit outta this.

Wallhitter on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Hahaha, here's a better picture of it, it's pretty badass.
    P1000257.jpg

My guess is that he's selling a Roland AX-7, since that is the only keytar still currently in production.
    roland_AX-7_main.jpg

It's pretty effective, but it's normally overpriced and I don't like the way it looks. Plus it's easy to find so every dick-cheese who wants some old school cred picks one up. What I really want it is a Roland AXIS:
    axis1.jpg

That thing is the Cadillac of Keytars. It's huge, powerful, ballsy, and it has a bitchin' look. It comes in a sick cherry red too, but I'd probably paint mine anyway. They're super rare though, so usually pretty expensive.

Captain Cthulhu on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    the wook wrote: »

at the bottom of the stimulus package payment schedule page, it has this little ditty
    Some taxpayers may receive smaller economic stimulus payments than they anticipated. By law, the stimulus payments are offset to satisfy past-due taxes, student loans, child support and certain other debts.

so who knows?
    Unless you're in default on your student loans, you don't have to worry about it. The "past-due" there applies to everything listed, not just taxes.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Thanatos wrote: »

so who knows?
    Unless you're in default on your student loans, you don't have to worry about it. The "past-due" there applies to everything listed, not just taxes.

oh ok rad

thanks thanatos

the wook on
  • Options
    DaricDaric Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Hey Thanatos, how do I trick the government into giving me money even though I'm listed as a dependant. I don't depend on shit, this isn't fair.

Daric on
    cc61181c22f23454a304a4f1f0867845044.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Daric wrote: »
    Hey Thanatos, how do I trick the government into giving me money even though I'm listed as a dependant. I don't depend on shit, this isn't fair.

get a job hippy.

Captain Cthulhu on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

so who knows?
    oh ok rad

thanks thanatos
    Yeah, they want you spending that money, not using it to pay down debt. Remember to buy retail. :P

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    get a job hippy.
    Cap beats me to it. :P

The only ways to get around it would be to commit tax fraud or get your parents to file an amended claim. I don't recommend the former, and the latter would probably cost your parents more money than you'd get back in stimulus/tax refund.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited April 2008
    Tricky Dick.

man that is twice as funny now that I have the quote right.

Curse my horrible hearing.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'll probably get a Wii.

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

so who knows?
    oh ok rad

thanks thanatos
    Yeah, they want you spending that money, not using it to pay down debt. Remember to buy retail. :P

can i use it to pay off a credit card knowing i'm going to be putting $1000 or so back on it in June?

i mean, i know i can use it however i want, but am i still within the principle of the issue?

the wook on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    can i use it to pay off a credit card knowing i'm going to be putting $1000 or so back on it in June?

i mean, i know i can use it however i want, but am i still within the principle of the issue?
    Yeah, that's fine, if you're a dirty, terrorist-loving commie. Why do you hate America, wook? Why do you hate freedom?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    get a job hippy.

The only ways to get around it would be to commit tax fraud or get your parents to file an amended claim. I don't recommend the former, and the latter would probably cost your parents more money than you'd get back in stimulus/tax refund.
    I was about to suggest the way that my folks and I used to do handle the tax refund, but then I realized that it probably constitutes tax fraud.

So never mind.

naporeon on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Yeah, that's fine, if you're a dirty, terrorist-loving commie. Why do you hate America, wook? Why do you hate freedom?

i hate any form of government that doesn't let me take anything and everything from anyone weaker than me

the wook on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    naporeon wrote: »
    get a job hippy.

I was about to suggest the way that my folks and I used to do handle the tax refund, but then I realized that it probably constitutes tax fraud.

So never mind.
    Were you going to suggest that they figure out which way more money is saved, by claiming or not claiming as a dependent, and work out some sort of equitable division of the money? Because that's what my parents and I always did. I always assumed it was legal.

Thanatos on