As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mac Thread - G3 phone thing is out. Have you heard of it?

• iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Satan. wrote: »
    The reasons there are assloads more free software for Windows than Mac is just sheer number of developers. While yes, the Mac culture in general likes to spend a bit more than the Windows culture in general (more mature audience, let's be honest) it's not just due to that. Windows developers have their fair share of douchebags overcharging for crap software.
    I agree with all of that.

Totally off-topic: do you occasionally post on TUAW as "Big John"? Just curious. Same avatar, similar ... language and "tone."

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    The reasons there are assloads more free software for Windows than Mac is just sheer number of developers. While yes, the Mac culture in general likes to spend a bit more than the Windows culture in general (more mature audience, let's be honest) it's not just due to that. Windows developers have their fair share of douchebags overcharging for crap software.
    I agree with all of that.

Totally off-topic: do you occasionally post on TUAW as "Big John"? Just curious. Same avatar, similar ... language and "tone."

I know, I hide myself well on the internet. Yes, that's me.

Satan. on
  • DigDug2000DigDug2000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    For the record, iBank, NoteBook and CoverSutra (MacHeist) are the only programs I paid for on my Macs and for all of them I paid a reduced price.

While your comment that Mac users are somehow "more mature" is flame bait, I actually think there are a lot of Windows users out there who pay for software. My parents seem to have some new shareware bought from Best Buy every time I stop by the house at least. I think the larger userbase has just led to tighter competition there, and to a larger open source community putting out free software.

Its strange how software options in Windows are often, "Use this free tool, or pay $600 for this professional one." There's not much middle ground. There seems to be more well priced software on Macs and less of the two extremes. That's probably a gross generalization too though. Photoshop isn't cheap for anyone.

DigDug2000 on
    edited April 2008
    How is it flamebait? Market studies have been done and reflect that as a whole, Mac audiences are older and tend to have more mature tastes.

We can anecdote all day long, but you have to remember that we're speaking in broad, general terms here. Obviously there are going to be exceptions to the rule.

Satan. on
  • Akilae729Akilae729 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    ronzo wrote: »
    Kris wrote: »
    Akilae729 wrote:
    Does anyone else have have any problems with adium starting really slowly. It takes this thing about a minute from when i start it until my contact list pops up. Im logging into an AIM account, a MSN account, and a GTalk account. Perhaps that has something to do with it.

Yeah, I have the same problem. I only connect to MSN, but it takes around a minute to finally connect and show my buddy list. Unfortunately, because I'm only using one protocol, I dunno if the problem is specific to MSN, or if all others are like that too.

if you're using leopard, i think MSN has some issues, having something to do with long server connect times on the server end. There is a stop gap fix for this on the adium site somewhere.

The trick that they had on their forums

1. Go to System Preferences.
    2. Click on Network.
    3. Click on Advanced.
    4. Click on the DNS tab.
    5. Click the + sign in the lower left of the window and add the following two DNS servers.
    6. Click OK and close system preferences.

seemed to speed it up a little bit.

I guess there is a bug in leopard with how it talks to some servers or something.

Sometimes I wish i had just stayed with tiger

Akilae729 on
    signaturebighe7.jpg
  • lordswinglordswing Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Google searches failed for my problem, so maybe you guys have an answer. In iTunes, there's a couple cds that have the album art show up for EVERY song. Aquemini shows up as 16 of the same album art with Coverflow. I've tried selecting all the songs and just dragged the album art to the box in "get info," but that didn't work. All the info shows up as the same (artist, album, etc). Anyone else get this problem before?

lordswing on
    D2:LoD East -> *FlipPaulHewitt
    edited April 2008
    lordswing wrote: »
    Google searches failed for my problem, so maybe you guys have an answer. In iTunes, there's a couple cds that have the album art show up for EVERY song. Aquemini shows up as 16 of the same album art with Coverflow. I've tried selecting all the songs and just dragged the album art to the box in "get info," but that didn't work. All the info shows up as the same (artist, album, etc). Anyone else get this problem before?

Select all the tracks for the album (so you have all 16 or whatnot tracks highlighted) and open the Get Info box. Check 'Artist' and set it to the same, also do the same for 'Album Artist'. That should fix it. I know they all look the same but the way the library stores information gets a little wonky sometimes.

Satan. on
  • lordswinglordswing Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Select all the tracks for the album (so you have all 16 or whatnot tracks highlighted) and open the Get Info box. Check 'Artist' and set it to the same, also do the same for 'Album Artist'. That should fix it. I know they all look the same but the way the library stores information gets a little wonky sometimes.

Thanks, it was an issue with "Album Artist." I usually never fill that in, thinking it's redundant with "Artist," guess I have to now. Thanks!

lordswing on
    D2:LoD East -> *FlipPaulHewitt
    edited April 2008

Thanks, it was an issue with "Album Artist." I usually never fill that in, thinking it's redundant with "Artist," guess I have to now. Thanks!

Just do it for when you're having an issue like that with multiple CoverFlow results for an album. The reason this distinction exists is for things like film soundtracks, etc. that have multiple artists. That way the artist can still be the actual artist and the album artist can be something unifying like Various Artists or the album name, etc.

Satan. on
  • Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    Okay. Support question time.

And the most annoying of them all: the plastic frame is warped. On the left side it's clearly warped if you take a close look at it -- it's as if the screws there aren't tightened enough. I can push it in with an accompanying plastic squeaky noise. D:

So, time to yell at Apple support, right?

I direct you to The Squishy Macbook.
    ... “allegedly” Steve Jobs thinks that the two screws used to fasten the computer on the right side need to have left sided counterparts in order to achieve some sort of visual symmetry, even though they serve no purpose, and their lack of functionality actually hurts the MacBook. This idea seems both plausible and preposterous given Steve’s reputation.

My wife's Macbook does the same thing, by the way.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
    edited April 2008

And the most annoying of them all: the plastic frame is warped. On the left side it's clearly warped if you take a close look at it -- it's as if the screws there aren't tightened enough. I can push it in with an accompanying plastic squeaky noise. D:

... “allegedly” Steve Jobs thinks that the two screws used to fasten the computer on the right side need to have left sided counterparts in order to achieve some sort of visual symmetry, even though they serve no purpose, and their lack of functionality actually hurts the MacBook. This idea seems both plausible and preposterous given Steve’s reputation.

I really don't think this is true.

Satan. on
    edited April 2008
    I'm not passing it off as the truth. I can verify that I do own a Macbook that does the same thing, for whatever it's worth.

Evil_Reaver on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2008

Yeah. That's the exact thing. The screws clearly aren't attached to anything or they'd poke out of the frame when I push it in. Overall this seems like terribly shoddy design to me.

edit: haha, Mac apologists crawling out of the woods. "That piece isn't the most important piece in your macbook, If it's a little loose it'll be fine."

Echo on
  • LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Send it back. You just got it, right?

Lewisham on
  • xrolfxxrolfx Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

I really don't think this is true.

Eh, I don't know about that. I just finished reading Inside Steve's Brain and he once ordered Apple engineers to redesign the motherboard for the Macintosh because he thought it was ugly.

xrolfx on
    edited April 2008
    Lewisham wrote: »
    Send it back. You just got it, right?

I'll talk to a service place since the iSight is effectively useless, and I'll make sure to show them the squeaky frame too.

Echo on
  • FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008

I've had problems with the camera since I got the Macbook. It had about 50% chance per reboot to not work and not show up as an USB device in the system profiler. I googled and did an SMC restore as recommended by the Apple KB, but it's still wonky -- right now does show up in the system profiler, but it started automatically when I booted and when I test it with iChat I get a black screen from it and nothing else. Ditto with other apps that can use the iSight.

Since I did the SMC restore file/protocol associations keep resetting to default every time I reboot. Safari is always the default browser, iChat the default IM client etc.

You got it not too long ago, yeah? ( < 90 days)

If you're near an Apple Store, go to http://www.apple.com/retail/ make an appointment at the closest one to see a Genius. Show up on time and they should sort you out. The camera things sounds like possibly a flakey connection or something deeper. As far as I was aware, resetting the SMC shouldn't screw with the system that much...some settings should reset (network settings and the like) but it shouldn't be screwing with application preferences). Also with the frame, if you make enough noise about it they might just give you a replacement computer. Co-worker of mine complained that his frame, or top cover, was just slightly off and he got a new replacement.

FF on
    Huh...
    edited April 2008
    On the left side it's clearly warped if you take a close look at it -- it's as if the screws there aren't tightened enough. I can push it in with an accompanying plastic squeaky noise. D:

<snip>

Mine does this too, though I don't see the "warping" on mine.

iTunesIsEvil on
    edited April 2008
    Mine does this too, though I don't see the "warping" on mine.

It's very noticable on mine. It clearly pokes out more by the screws than it does up by the ports.

Echo on
  • contrabandcontraband Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    xrolfx wrote: »
    Eh, I don't know about that. I just finished reading Inside Steve's Brain and he once ordered Apple engineers to redesign the motherboard for the Macintosh because he thought it was ugly.

haha whaaat, i gotta check this book out

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
    edited April 2008
    contraband wrote: »

Mr. Jobs is well known for being kind of psycho when it comes to running his company. It's widely known that he obsesses over his keynote presentation for weeks before the Macworld show, practicing the full keynote several times a day so that the real deal is perfect. One can only imagine how he deals with decisions concerning his product.

Evil_Reaver on
  • ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Haha my Macbook is 'squishy' too, I just thought it was slightly shoddy build quality on my particular unit, but nothing to worry too much about.

Zoolander on
    edited April 2008
    The battery in my old laptop died due to me having the charger hooked up most of the time, which was apparently bad for the battery. So I'm understandably a bit paranoid about that happening again. Does anyone know if the Macbook is smarter about this and doesn't juice up the battery when the charger is green and runs straight from the charger instead of the battery?

Echo on
  • LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The battery in my old laptop died due to me having the charger hooked up most of the time, which was apparently bad for the battery. So I'm understandably a bit paranoid about that happening again. Does anyone know if the Macbook is smarter about this and doesn't juice up the battery when the charger is green and runs straight from the charger instead of the battery?

Apple says you should cycle it once a month.

http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

I personally have never had a problem, but I cycled mine quite regularly by using it on the sofa.

Lewisham on
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    I cycle mine a lot just from regular use of taking it to work or class or carrying it around the apartment. If you get the free version of the iStat Pro dashboard widget, it'll keep count of the amount of cycles you've used and report on relative battery health.

107 cycles in just under 6 months, apparently.

Monoxide on
    edited April 2008
    12 cycles in a week. :P

Echo on
    edited April 2008
    61 since I got this thing, whenever the fuck that was. Sometime in mid-February I think.

Satan. on
    edited April 2008

Yeah, it's a pretty fun book if you like anecdotes like that. There's tons of them in there. It also has an interesting bit about the G4 cube and how Jobs was so obsessed with it, he couldn't see it was going to tank. That was really one that he designed for himself, kind of like how some people think the Air got made...

xrolfx on
    edited April 2008
    two hundred sixty-nine since september last year

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
    edited April 2008

Yeah, it's a pretty fun book if you like anecdotes like that. There's tons of them in there. It also has an interesting bit about the G4 cube and how Jobs was so obsessed with it, he couldn't see it was going to tank. That was really one that he designed for himself, kind of like how some people think the Air got made...

OH MAN AWESOME, THE AIR SUCKS SO BAD OLOLOL

Get lost.

Satan. on
    edited April 2008

Get lost.

hey

he didn't diss your computer, so chill out

don't be so easy to anger, maybe

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • typhoontyphoon Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Get lost.
    God, what's your problem? Why do you take everything so personally and get on everyone's case? It's annoying and pathetic.

typhoon on
    edited April 2008

Get lost.

Man, I don't care if you got an Air. If you're happy with it, then good for you. I'm just saying that apparently, Jobs has that power within Apple to push a product to production, even if many people don't see the use for it. Like many people don't see a use for the Air (seriously, check the internet, a lot of people think it's a wacky computer). If you do think it's useful and you're happy with it, why be angry and defensive about it? What does anyone else's opinion matter?

xrolfx on
  • corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Both were aimed at a market between two established ranges, sacrificed a lot for looks, and were perceived to be rather expensive. Lots of similarities there.

I want a silent Mac dammit.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
    edited April 2008
    corcorigan wrote: »
    Both were aimed at a market between two established ranges, sacrificed a lot for looks, and were perceived to be rather expensive. Lots of similarities there.

I want a silent Mac dammit.
    About the best you're gonna do methinks...

iTunesIsEvil on
  • PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So...who is to blame for the lack of Apple supported cell phone drivers?
    I mean, even before they came out with their phone, I had trouble finding drivers.
    Anyone know how to deal with a Samsung a437?

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
    edited April 2008
    If you all don't like my posts, don't read them. The ignore button is a handy feature on these forums. Otherwise, keep it to yourselves.

Satan. on
    edited April 2008
    That's not really the point, dude. You're always getting up in everyone's grill over stupid shit, that's the annoying part. You're just as bad as a troll sometimes; I mean, did you really think that going in to the XP SP3 thread and posting *YAWN!!!1111* was useful?

I don't want to ignore you because you do occasionally post something relevant and insightful... it's the other 75% of the time that everyone dislikes your online persona.

Evil_Reaver on
  • KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    If you all don't like my posts, don't read them. The ignore button is a handy feature on these forums. Otherwise, keep it to yourselves.

Ooor, if you don't like other people's posts, you could just keep it to yourself...

There's nothing wrong with an intelligent debate, but don't take everything so personally and snap at people.

Kris on
    edited April 2008
    ...and you've each ended up on ignore. Enjoy.

Satan. on
This discussion has been closed.