As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mac Thread - G3 phone thing is out. Have you heard of it?

• KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Whew, what a relief. :lol:

Kris on
  • ginguskahnginguskahn Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So uh, MSN Messenger 7 is out for Mac... shockingly it still sucks! I don't even seem to be able to put my own display picture in without an error, can't see a way to do tabbed chat, can't see a way to do video chats (I thought that was the whole point of 7), and it's still fugly!

Wait, I found video chats, I have to be in "corporate contact list" mode, which then crashed and I had to force quit from the apple menu... eeesh.

Back to Adium

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Kris wrote: »
    Whew, what a relief. :lol:

Hi5!

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
    edited April 2008
    ginguskahn wrote: »
    So uh, MSN Messenger 7 is out for Mac... shockingly it still sucks! I don't even seem to be able to put my own display picture in without an error, can't see a way to do tabbed chat, can't see a way to do video chats (I thought that was the whole point of 7), and it's still fugly!

Wait, I found video chats, I have to be in "corporate contact list" mode, which then crashed and I had to force quit from the apple menu... eeesh.

Back to Adium

Haha. Wow. How do they repeatedly fail so hard at writing decent mac software? It's not like they have limited resources. Oh well, like you said, thank goodness we have Adium!

Kris on
  • corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    corcorigan wrote: »
    Both were aimed at a market between two established ranges, sacrificed a lot for looks, and were perceived to be rather expensive. Lots of similarities there.

I want a silent Mac dammit.
    About the best you're gonna do methinks...

Yes. If only Apple gave them some love.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
    edited April 2008
    Both were aimed at a market between two established ranges, sacrificed a lot for looks, and were perceived to be rather expensive. Lots of similarities there.

I want a silent Mac dammit.
    About the best you're gonna do methinks...

Yes. If only Apple gave them some love.

Maybe they will get a processor jump and wireless N when Atom is launched (or should I say put into a mac?).... or not :(

I do love my mini mind.

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • contrabandcontraband Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Does the Mac Mini have hardware roughly equivalent to the Macbook?

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    contraband wrote: »
    Does the Mac Mini have hardware roughly equivalent to the Macbook?

Sort of. The Mini runs at 1.83Ghz, while the MacBooks are 2.1-4Ghz now. They both ship with 1GB of RAM standard. The Mini HDD starts at 80GB while the MacBook starts at 120GB. Also, the Mini lacks 802.11n.

Satan. on
  • ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Dammit MS, why can't you make a decent mac client. I really want to use video chat.

Zoolander on
    edited April 2008

Back to Adium

Haha. Wow. How do they repeatedly fail so hard at writing decent mac software? It's not like they have limited resources. Oh well, like you said, thank goodness we have Adium!
    Well I'm not an expert, but I doubt Mac MS is well-funded at all.

Zoolander on
  • corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Zoolander wrote: »

Back to Adium

Ars Technica said that it was due to MS being in the process of swapping to a new video client, and the Mac team being too lazy to get the current one working, only to have to do it again for the new one in a few months.

Adium all the way though.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • Akilae729Akilae729 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Is there any word on Adium eventually including a video chat component?

Akilae729 on
    signaturebighe7.jpg
  • ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I currently use skype for video, but it sucks dongs. Poor quality, drops the connection every ten seocnds. Shite.

ben0207 on
  • Akilae729Akilae729 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I still use iChat when i need to switch to video. I still can't find something that beats the quality. Person on the other end had to have a Mac though

Akilae729 on
    signaturebighe7.jpg
    edited April 2008
    Akilae729 wrote: »
    I still use iChat when i need to switch to video. I still can't find something that beats the quality. Person on the other end had to have a Mac though

Persuading my GF to buy a Mac would be like persuading the tide to turn around. She develops VB for a living*.

*not that i consider coding VB "living". More a slow death.

ben0207 on
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Still waiting to get my badass iMac.

But I need to find a job.

Sigh.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    edited April 2008
    Zoolander wrote: »

Back to Adium

Ars Technica said that it was due to MS being in the process of swapping to a new video client, and the Mac team being too lazy to get the current one working, only to have to do it again for the new one in a few months.

Adium all the way though.
    Meh to Adium. People I know only use MSN (as is the case for pretty much everyone in Canada) and I want to use all the features of MSN dammit, especially video chat.

Zoolander on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2008
    Can I make Adium appear on all desktops in Spaces?

Echo on
    edited May 2008
    Echo wrote: »

If you set it to appear in a certain space, you should then be able to select "Every Space" (in System Prefs/Expose and spaces).

Does aMSN still support video, or has it been nerfed? I know it did, not long ago.

Adium does a good enough job of being MSN for me (and prettier to boot) the only thing I miss is video chat. It would pretty much be perfect if it wasn't for that (screw all these nudges and winks nothing annoys me more).

Mercury I thought supported video, but I hated MM so I never tested it, it went straight to the bin.

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • H*RH*R Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Still waiting to get my badass iMac.

But I need to find a job.

Sigh.

Mine's set to be delivered on Friday. Hi5!

And i just got a new job, with a raise! Hi5x2! Best of luck to you though.

But a conundrum i have is that i'm getting the base 500G drive, but for time machine i'm thinking 750 should be good for now and 1T is overkill...right? To put it in perspective I've got a 180G right now that's only got about 60G on it and most of it is static.

FYI Crucial has 4G mem kits for the new iMacs for $125

And Best Buy has WD My Book Studio 750G's for $170 in store. Cheaper than most places i've looked online. Anyone have any expierience with these? Are they decent?

H*R on
    Nintendo Network: WarrenMSP
    3DS: 4184-2362-9697
    PSN: Skywarrd
    edited May 2008

I have mine set to autohide when docked to the side of the screen, and the contact list will appear on all Spaces. However, I've had no luck getting the IM window to appear on all Spaces.

Satan. on
  • ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Ichat can do aim vid chat with windows users, i've done it a few times

ronzo on
    edited May 2008
    Bottom pages but I believe this does the chat window as well:

If you set it to appear in a certain space, you should then be able to select "Every Space" (in System Prefs/Expose and spaces).

(snip).

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
    edited May 2008
    Bottom pages but I believe this does the chat window as well:

(snip).

I keep trying that, but the sum'bitch won't work for me. Both of my OS X installs act weird, so who knows what the deal is.

Satan. on
    edited May 2008
    sometimes my itunes, when I pull it up from being minimized (using the "genie" effect), there's a blocky texture around the rew/play/next buttons, like it's showing the transparent corners of the button graphic. that's only during the maximization animation though, and when it's pulled up completely it looks fine. anyone know what I'm talking about?

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
    edited May 2008
    I know exactly what you're talking about, as it had happened to me awhile ago while using Tiger. Although, I was screwing around with Shapeshifter at the time, so that might have had something to do with it.

Are you asking for a fix? If so, I don't know of one. A quick google search didn't turn anything up for me. :( Maybe have a browse through http://www.macfixit.com/ *shrugs*

Kris on
    edited May 2008
    eh guess I'm not looking for a fix, it doesn't bother me too much. and yeah, guess i am messing around with candybar when this happens. huh! just glad to know i'm not the only one. ;x

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • bashbash Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    My friend showed me an awesome trick the other day with the new aluminum keyboards. Normally the F3 can't be remapped to any Exposé modes besides "Show all windows", that is unless you use modifier keys. Holding down Cmd and hitting F3 shows the desktop while holding down control and hitting it shows all of the current application windows. This is 100% badass. Holding down option and hitting the F3 key brings up the Exposé pane in System Preferences. Up until now I've been using F5 and F6 mapped to the alternate Exposé functions.

My new iMac was ordered this afternoon as well. Excelsior.

bash on
    comi-sig1.jpg
    edited May 2008
    My film class has got me pausing/rewinding/FFwding movies a lot, and VLC is kinda shitty for that. Does anyone recommend a different, more capable video player?

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
  • LindenLinden Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Is there any word on Adium eventually including a video chat component?

Yes. It's a way off, though.

Linden on
    edited May 2008
    My film class has got me pausing/rewinding/FFwding movies a lot, and VLC is kinda shitty for that. Does anyone recommend a different, more capable video player?

Get the Perian plugin for quicktime.

ben0207 on
  • FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    ben0207 wrote: »

Get the Perian plugin for quicktime.

I have this, but still cant seem to play avi files through front row... Anyone else have this?

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    does anyone use Opera for the Mac? I'm wondering how it compares to Opera on windows (which I really like).

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Proto wrote: »
    does anyone use Opera for the Mac? I'm wondering how it compares to Opera on windows (which I really like).

AFAIK, it's exactly the same, which is why people don't use it much. Yucky non-native stuff.

Lewisham on
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, basically. If it was native I'd be all over it though.

Oh, and if it sync'd (sänc) with my iPhone. Is there a FF plugin for this yet? All it'd need to do is rewrite the Safari BMs with the FF ones.

ben0207 on
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    what the hell are you guys talking about?

Opera works fine on OS X. If you like it on Windows you should like it just as much on your Mac. It has it's problems, but if you've used it before, you're used to them by now.

Monoxide on
  • LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Monoxide wrote: »
    what the hell are you guys talking about?

Opera works fine on OS X. If you like it on Windows you should like it just as much on your Mac. It has it's problems, but if you've used it before, you're used to them by now.

Nativeness man. Nativeness. All the widgets are wrong. The window looks completely different to anything else on Mac OS X. Keychain support, AFAIK, is not there. Things like this. It's icky.

It's fine on Windows because there are zero guidelines on how a Windows app should look, so it's a complete clusterfuck anyway.

Lewisham on
    edited May 2008
    ohhhh

as a sidenote, i am enjoying the ff3 now that it's decided to run, and also to work with that safari skin. it's sweet.

contraband on
    sigxw0.jpg
    edited May 2008
    Finally bought Leopard for my Macbook, along with Applecare.

I'm really really really not liking the transparent menu bar, but everything else looks nice.

Leopard's Spotlight is kind of a disappointment though. The results seem to be kind of random. I'll type in something at one time and get one result, but at another time I'll get a completely different result. This really makes it unsuitable for applications-launching. I was hoping to avoid needing quicksilver.

Zoolander on
  • joshua1joshua1 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So I opened up a reputable mens periodical (ZOO, for anyone who knows is), to see a artist's impression (or whatever, not the exact thing, but what an artist thinks what it would look like) of something called a nanoBook. A macbook that is just a touchscreen, with write on functionality but also packing a on-screen keyboard. It also contained a asston of wireless connectivity but also, a BluRay drive. Due to be released later this year

Having just bought a MacBookAir, the announcement of such a machine has me annoyed. I was tossing up between the MBair and a tablet PC and only got the air for its portability.....

Whats some more reliable info on this annoying machine?

joshua1 on
This discussion has been closed.