As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Flying to PAX - Now with 50% more shirt!

• ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I hate to be pedantic, but Boston is about 300 miles further away from Seattle than Atlanta is.

(That said, check out the link, it's pretty cool.)

ASimPerson on
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    I hate to be pedantic, but Boston is about 300 miles further away from Seattle than Atlanta is.

(That said, check out the link, it's pretty cool.)

It's the North American Continent's fault for not being rectangular. Not mine.

:D

Thanks for the correction!

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • sum10fishysum10fishy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    No ticket yet but I'm probably flying Roanoke, VA to Atlanta, meeting a buddy who is going to PAX too and flying on to Seattle. So, that's +2 DS. +2 Mario Kart.

sum10fishy on
  • BamboozaBambooza Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Of all the US government agencies the FAA is one of the best to work with. Their policies and procedures are pretty hassle free as well as their willingness to work with you on case by case bases for COA’s and experimental flight status. This is not to say that there is not a lot of documentation and certifications that need to be acquired before any flights take place in NAS.

As for the use of electronic device usage on flights, the FAA has no policy regulating their use and has left it up to the individual operator to manage their own policy. Most Major airliners have adopted the RTCA’s recommendation on the use of PED which suggests limiting the use of these devices to none critical times of the flight plan i.e. take of and landing where navigation and communication disruption can be detrimental to the safety of all involved.

As Mythbusters have shown most planes are well shielded to EMI and the small power sources most PED have would be hard pressed to cause any effect. But it doesn’t mean the possibilities don’t exist and so we have them erroring on the side of safety when making policies for their operations.

As for buying cheep tickets try to stay out of large international hubs as airliners have to pay a higher fee for gate time at these airports which is then passed on to you as a consumer. Travel sale sites have been known to provide tickets below what is available at the Airliner’s own website. But it’s based upon availability as well as the travel sites ability to acquire last minute tickets and whole sale ticket purchase. Just remember that some airline companies are not listed on the travel sites but still have flights available.

Bambooza on
    The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
  • GreyHunter316GreyHunter316 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm hopefully goin to PAX this year depends how much money I have saved.
    But does anyone know how much a plane ticket from Albany to Seattle will cost.

GreyHunter316 on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited February 2008
    More than driving ;-)

Seriously, probably close to $400.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• sum10fishysum10fishy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Albany, NY? Orbitz has one for $249 right now but I dunno if that's both to and from or each. It says for round trip though. It also has one for $3,164 on Alaska Airlines. I would suggest NOT taking that one.

Travelocity has some for $305 on Delta after fees and crap.

Not terrible but the supertrip would probably be cheaper. The Moe Knows!

sum10fishy on
    edited February 2008
    Flights from ALB proper are $486 right now. If you're willing to drive to Boston or the New York airports you're looking at around $330.

ASimPerson on
  • LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Lastminute.com Manchester to Seattle via Chicago £501.20 each.

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    It depends on the site you use, when you get it, what days you're leaving/coming back, and how lucky you get.

As for it being more expensive than the super-trip: if gas hits $4 a gallon (not unlikely, during the summer price gouge), and you're lucky enough to share a car getting 30 miles to the gallon with 3 other people, the cost of gas alone for one person will be about $200.

Thanatos on
    edited March 2008
    And plane tickets cost anywhere from $250-$400. Not to mention the security hassles and luggage restrictions.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• RowdyTheDogRowdyTheDog Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    For some reason I got an amazingly sick deal of 170$ round trip from Burlington, VT. Without taxes, that's 60$ each way. How can they even afford that? That's with Delta btw, but there were only a few tickets left when I bought and they're all gone now.

RowdyTheDog on
    edited March 2008
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    And plane tickets cost anywhere from $250-$400. Not to mention the security hassles and luggage restrictions.

Opportunity cost!

I don't think anyone is saying that it isn't cheaper traveling by car (assuming you can get other people to chip in) but the monetary costs certainly are approaching flying, and there are downsides to driving as well (time spent on the road, discomfort, mileage on the car, having to stay awake to drive). It's certainly an option to fly, and for those that simply can't or won't do the supertrip, flying is a viable option.

jonxp on
    edited April 2008

In 2 words, "It depends".

I recommend 2 things:
    1) http://matrix.itasoftware.com/cvg/dispatch/ to find flights
    2) http://www.yapta.com to track them.

Also, check out www.farecast.com once they start tracking that weekend (it'll be another month or so). You don't want to buy too early, but especially since PAX is on a holiday weekend this year you don't want to wait until too late, either.

ASimPerson on
  • SableSable Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The Juneauites are eating about 550.00USD each for airfare...

Sable on
  • crucialityfactorcrucialityfactor Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Jon!!!!

I donated 5 whole dollars to your server....buy me a plane ticket from New York...

Also...get one for Rakuen out of Boston.

crucialityfactor on
    edited April 2008
    Jon!!!!

I donated 5 whole dollars to your server....buy me a plane ticket from New York...

Also...get one for Rakuen out of Boston.

Man, if only this were ten years down the road when I'm a multibillionaire, I'd totally do it.

jonxp on
    edited April 2008
    Alaska's SJC-SEA fare is the lowest I've ever seen it: $207 all-in for departing the evening of the 28th and leaving the 1st. They may be having other sales right now as well.

ASimPerson on
  • Riggz13Riggz13 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Weirdest thing is, I was looking at Alaskan flights out of Dallas for $370, and yet their website has the flights from Little Rock, AR and Memphis at $2,000+. Apparently there's some kind air monster that the pilot has to negotiate between Arkansas and Texas that makes any flights east of Texas cost 10x more.

Riggz13 on
  • Pat McRotchPat McRotch Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Riggz13 wrote: »
    Weirdest thing is, I was looking at Alaskan flights out of Dallas for $370, and yet their website has the flights from Little Rock, AR and Memphis at $2,000+. Apparently there's some kind air monster that the pilot has to negotiate between Arkansas and Texas that makes any flights east of Texas cost 10x more.

Dude, check out priceline.com. They have flights out of Little Rock for just $20 more. If you are really willing to drive all the way to Dallas, save an hour, drive to Tulsa. That is what I am doing (2 hours for me). About $260 from TUL to SEA.

Heh, cheapest flight out of my home town, $512!

Pat McRotch on
    xPat+McR0tch.png
    patmcrotch.png
  • mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So. Bought my tickets from Virgin America, LAX -> SEA in February and they were each $198 + taxes round trip. Since they have gone up to almost $300 + taxes round trip each.

THEN (literally less than a week ago) I found out that Thurs. August 28 is my son's first day of kindergarten. D: NOW I have to change my outgoing flight which will, according to Virgin America's website, cost $40 per ticket PLUS the $45 the fair has gone up since I booked in February.

If any jet setters out there know any way I can save myself the $170 (two tickets) on this thing without missing my son's first day of kindergarten, please speak up. It is just killing me because that's almost how much a round trip ticket cost me in the first place, all so that we can have 5-8 hours LESS vacation. :(

I'm pretty sure I'm screwed though.

mare_imbrium on
    v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
    edited April 2008
    So. Bought my tickets from Virgin America, LAX -> SEA in February and they were each $198 + taxes round trip. Since they have gone up to almost $300 + taxes round trip each.

THEN (literally less than a week ago) I found out that Thurs. August 28 is my son's first day of kindergarten. D: NOW I have to change my outgoing flight which will, according to Virgin America's website, cost $40 per ticket PLUS the $45 the fair has gone up since I booked in February.

If any jet setters out there know any way I can save myself the $170 (two tickets) on this thing without missing my son's first day of kindergarten, please speak up. It is just killing me because that's almost how much a round trip ticket cost me in the first place, all so that we can have 5-8 hours LESS vacation. :(

I'm going to ask a travel agent friend tomorrow, but don't get your hopes up, I'm pretty sure they won't be able to give me any good news.

jonxp on
  • MurphysParadoxMurphysParadox Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I definitely recommend anyone in/near NY, DC Metro, Vegas, LAX, or SFO to check out Virgin America (they only fly twix those cities). Just got my tickets through them - $189 one way from DC to Seattle isn't bad AND they have personal in-flight TV, personal power plugs, personal awesome, and some other stuff (check out their website at the least). For those of us that surpass 72 inches in height, they also offer 4-6" more legroom for $25 extra.

And on a more serious note, they also are doing well in the financial area and fly all new planes... thus aren't likely to go bankrupt in the next few months nor cancel thousands of flights for overdue maintenance. Defnitely sad times when this is a consideration.

MurphysParadox on
    Murphy's Law: Whatever can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's Paradox: The more you plan, the more that can go wrong. The less you plan, the less likely your plan will succeed.
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I am currently looking at a flight from SEA to MAN on the way back from PAX, with a three-hour-or-so stopover at Newark EWR. What are the rules like on leaving the airport? Do I have to stay in the lounge or can I do what I want? Not too fussed about having to pass security and such, although my opinion may change once I'm there and have been through it twice.

With three hours to kill this seems like an ideal opportunity to go and doss around New York for a bit, especially since I've never been. Can anyone fill me in?

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
    edited April 2008
    You can leave, sure, you can even completely skip your flight and take a bus home. Of course, given that it is still suggested that you hit the airport at T minus 1 hour, you might find that you won't have much time to wander around NY.

MurphysParadox on
    Murphy's Paradox: The more you plan, the more that can go wrong. The less you plan, the less likely your plan will succeed.
    edited April 2008
    As long as there's not some super anal rule in place about it then I can work my way from there. And a bus home might be a bit wet. :)

I was thinking about the check-in time, but I guess I could check in and leave the airport, then come back and whazz straight through security, though - added bonus of not having to lug my bag around the city. Most likely not possible, but meh. It'd be nice.

Cheers.

Willeth on
    edited April 2008
    I thought of that when I went to Colorado a few years ago, but I was told it could take an hour to get into central New York, an hour back would only leave an hour to cram stuff in. I decided it wasn't worth the worry of missing my flight home. But, one of my friends, who frequently flies to USA said I should say at check-in that I can be flexible in my travel plans - he's often bumped off the plane, given free accommodation, some $$$ and a flight the next day - airlines always overbook scheduled flights,and bank on someone not turning up for their flight. I remember that happening at Newark on my way to Denver, Continental were offering shed loads of $$ for people to get off, be put up in NY, and fly the next day. I couldn't take em up, as I was the driver for the group I was travelling with.

Me and LewieP are flying back home via Chicago, with BMI on the Monday after PAX. Shame we're not on the same flights!

LewieP's Mummy on

edited April 2008
    LewiePs Mummy has a good point - though for international flights this may work out differently. Furthermore, since it is international, the rule of thumb is something like be there at least 2 hours early. As for pre-checking your luggage - I will say, from personal experience, that having luggage arrive at the destination days before the owner really isn't fun for those several days (a good reason to put short-term necessary things and at least 1 change of clothes in a carry-on).

MurphysParadox on
    edited April 2008

You know mare... looking over VA's policies, one way to avoid the $40 charge is to upgrade to 1st class when changing flights. Then you just pay the fare differential

Of course, this kind of goes against the saving your money thing...

MurphysParadox on
    edited April 2008
    Willeth wrote: »
    I am currently looking at a flight from SEA to MAN on the way back from PAX, with a three-hour-or-so stopover at Newark EWR. What are the rules like on leaving the airport? Do I have to stay in the lounge or can I do what I want? Not too fussed about having to pass security and such, although my opinion may change once I'm there and have been through it twice.

With three hours to kill this seems like an ideal opportunity to go and doss around New York for a bit, especially since I've never been. Can anyone fill me in?

I wouldn't recommend it.

Three hours isn't really a lot of time, and you're not even in New York, you're in Newark. Yes, you could go "landside" (outside of security) but then you have to go back through security, which is likely a pain in the ass at EWR since it is a huge airport. Also, you will already be "checked in" for you EWR-MAN leg so if you are late for boarding you will miss your flight.

ASimPerson on
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, I've spoken with an ex who works for Virgin (heh) and she recommended I stay airside as well. But I haven't booked the flight yet.

So sod it, I could be on your plane, Lewiefamily.

Willeth on
    edited April 2008
    That would be cool! Make it happen, we can start PAX early/end it late.

LewieP's Mummy on

edited April 2008
    Well I won't be on the outgoing leg. I'm flying to Wisconsin. :D

Willeth on
  • MegamaniacoMegamaniaco Madrid, Spain (again!)Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    My god...and I still don't have the money to buy the ticket to fly Spain - Seattle...I wonder how much it's going to cost when I get paid (around the end of May .___. )

*sigh*

Megamaniaco on
    Steam ID: Megamaniaco // LoL summoner: Corcorigan (NA), Megamaniaco (EUW) // Hearthstone: Megamaniaco.2120

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
  • ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Ugh, buying tickets from Ottawa, Canada to Seattle sucks. This is such a HUGE chunk outta my alcohol fund. =(

Imperfect on
    edited May 2008
    Yeah ticket prices are getting higher as the year goes on. I'm just hoping that flights don't start to get canceled due to fuel costs.

jonxp on
  • Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    jonxp wrote: »
    Yeah ticket prices are getting higher as the year goes on. I'm just hoping that flights don't start to get canceled due to fuel costs.

Granted their are most people who are trying to hold onto the hope of those last minute deals that the airlines are always having. Well, to them I say,

PAX IS LABOR DAY WEEKEND.

It's the 3rd busiest weekend of the year for the airlines, they are not going to need last minute deals to fill the seats, and if they do post any deals, most likely are going to have the weekend of PAX blacked out.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
    edited May 2008
    Hmm, now giving serious thought to telling the airline we are very flexible in our travel plans when we check in, I'll just take a bit more time off work - I'm jobshare, first half of the week, get 6 weeks leave per year (pro-rata) and have just over a week in time owing, and Lewie won't be back at Uni til the end of September.

But, what is Labor/Labour Day weekend?

LewieP's Mummy on

• BrennaCeDriaBrennaCeDria Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    But, what is Labor/Labour Day weekend?

Free day off in the States for people with desk jobs, absolutely nothing for people that work in any service industry (including food service, retail, travel, etc).

BrennaCeDria on
    edited May 2008
    It's that phoney baloney holiday crammed down our throats by fat-cat union gangsters.

Hot dog! A day off!
    FuturamaLaborDay1.jpg

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

This discussion has been closed.