As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bloodline game - Dwarf Fortress - I have pulled my proverbial finger out

• Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Hey SO where do you edit the evidence I am not a spammer or robot, I have never found it and looked several times.
    nigglypuff wrote: »
    haha what is that supposed to mean ? :P

Probably your name duder.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Tools>Edit options

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Tools>Edit options

Oh snap it won't let me edit it just goes to some lame ass you can't do that page, guess I'm doomed too.

On an unrelated note, there is seriously like one fucking water cooler in my whole faculty at uni, what the fuck. I have to go to the electrical / computer systems engineering building and up two flights of stairs for a decent thing to fill my water bottle from.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Haha unrelated again, we were at this uni open day thing and were in the chemistry labs doing some simple experiment, and they were going on about how the eyewash stations gave a 'gentle warm flow' of water or something, so one of my mates tries it and angles it perfectly so that it sprays all over his crotch, and he pushes the button down too far so that it doesn't pop out again. Luckily for him no one else noticed. He also dropped the filter paper that we had filtered water through after collecting it at a nearby stream and going through like 5 steps to isolate phytoplankton onto the bench when he was sticking it in the petri dish, which was fucking hilarious. A professor pouring liquid nitrogen into the sink and seeing it come out of all the other sinks down the bench was great too.

L|ama on
  • Options
    GenericFanGenericFan Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I would want a go at this but I'd probably destroy it horribly so I'll just sit back and watch.

Watching you guys horribly destroy it is so much more fun. I couldn't imagine handing some ridiculously bad save off to someone and just saying, uhh wait for the write up I've got a reason I promise.

You all know it would happen.

GenericFan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I'm thinking of backing up the save I get in case I royally fuck things up, but that's sort of against the spirit of things.

(GMT+12 is the best timezone)

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    All the saves will be uploaded to one fileplanet account, I think that is what I'm going to do anyway, that way people can look at them if they like.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    BremenBremen Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Ledneh wrote: »
    I'm pretty much required to post this in any and all DF threads

For an example of a bloodline game of (the old version of) DF go read The Saga of Boatmurdered, especially the bits by StarkRavingMad (update 11). It's laff-tastic

It's so sad to know I shall forever be in his shadow :P

Good luck with this game, everyone. I'll definitely be watching this thread. I'd sign up but I've learned it's much more fun just to watch others fail.

Bremen on
  • Options
    ZerinanZerinan Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I would like to be near the first few years, because I haven't actually played a fortress past year 3 or so, I might not be able to handle the later years. But then again, me failing around while under a siege might be entertaining.

Zerinan on
    6394_970621.png
  • Options
    redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    well, here's my current fort, for anyone who wants to see it

outside
    the 2 ways into my fort, one has a retractable drawbrige, the other has a bunch of stonefall and weapon traps
    noone has tried go get in yet :(
    outside.png

farming level
    i recently bought out the humans of food, and need to make more room for all the different types. Also, I have a well there.
    farming.png

production level
    where the magic happens... or something. I have 2 legendary stonecrafters due to fey moods, but now i make so much stuff, i have more crafts than the traders have stuff to sell me, almost
    crafts.png

living quarters
    once all that gets built and cleaned up, it will hold exactly 200 beds, so i won't need to go any larger, if i make it that long.
    beds.png

redfenix on
  • Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    hah, year 7! you are all doomed when my rule begins!

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    JigglypuffJigglypuff __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    this is all very confusing .

Jigglypuff on
    this space below my posts is dedicated to Resident0 , rest in peace , my friend , rest in peace .
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm down

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    hah, year 7! you are all doomed when my rule begins!

When my rule starts, I'm going to recruit a squad of female dwarves into the military, strip them naked, and make them wrestle each other in mud.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I have shuffled the order a little bit. If anyone wants me to shuffle it further, just ask and you can be moved closer to where you would like to play.

I put Artreus first because he said he wanted to be in the first few years, fair enough.
    But now that means he has to create the world and start the fortress.

So let us choose first off, what type of location we would like to start in.
    Followed by what type of dwarves we want.
    Then what items / animals we shall bring with us.

Go.

IMPORTANT! - I have decided that to do the saves, zip them, and upload them yourself. Link the next person and myself to this zip. I will then download it and upload it to my filefront account so they're all in one place hopefully it won't run out of bandwidth. You're free to upload yours wherever it doesn't suck donkey balls.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    forested with at least river access, magma is alright too, at least 2 biomes

skills:
    (all proficients beside 1st dwarf)

prof miner/ nov: Judge of intent,appraiser,organizer,record keeper,consoler
    miner/mason
    mechanic/building designer
    wood cutter / carpenter
    cook/brewer
    grower/herbalist
    engraver/stone crafter

items
    2-4 picks
    2-3 axes
    1 of every 2-cost meat
    25+ plump helmet spawns
    ~10 rock nut seeds
    ~30 each liquor
    ~100 of one 2 cost meat
    ~20 turtles

redfenix on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Woo! Alright, I like to think I'm decent a picking starting spots, but I have never bothered with using those revealer things to show everything on the map, we would probably be better off without those anyway, to keep it more interesting. But I do know how to pick out mountains/volcanos/rivers, etc.

As far as starting dwarf allocation, I really think we should go with:

-Miner
    -Miner/mason (mason is a maybe)
    -Wood cutter/carpenter
    -Farmer
    -Fisherdorf
    -Hunter of some sort
    -Broker with appraisal skill so you can see what you actually have and how much of it you have. Also various other random skills so he can do odd jobs.

Also, I never start with an anvil, as I use those points to get my skills up, buy a ton of food, and some livestock, because you can get plenty of food later on from about 20 musk oxen that bred from the original 2-4.

Also also. Starting location.
    I usually go with forested at the foot of a mountain with at least a river of some sort. I try to find a volcano sometimes for magma, but if the world has not generated one, I don't worry about it too much. Also I usually go for the mid-level as far as animal craziness goes but we can go for terrifying or whatever to make it more interesting.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I'm leaning towards red fenix's build at the moment, except I never normally take an engraver to start, I know they're good for happiness and making rooms worth more, but it isn't all that hard to train someone from scratch in that skill, as just smoothing doesn't take into account the skill, I think. Just slower if you're not that great.

Because really, mechanic is so useful. Makes a lot of wealth too.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    i'd prefer to be towards the beginning of the game because i am inexperienced at handling many dwarves

not like right at the beginning though, maybe a few turns in

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    is having a dedicated cook/brewer really that useful? I rarely cook the food (which I guess is a bad thing) and my farmer usually brews the drinks in his spare time.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Artreus wrote: »
    is having a dedicated cook/brewer really that useful? I rarely cook the food (which I guess is a bad thing) and my farmer usually brews the drinks in his spare time.

From what I understand, prepared food in a food stockpile never rots. It can only be lost via lizards and beetles and all those other vermin eating away at it (which is why you want a few cats)

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    They brew/cook faster, and I think dwarves have happy thoughts when they eat well prepared meals/drink, even though the quality of drinks doesn't show up people think it is there silently.

So yeah, even without that quality later it helps to have someone brew all your stuff up at a good pace.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Actually hell yes, I might stick a masonry on that building designer. I have... plans.

Artreus on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I generally get mason/building designer, and mechanic on one of my miners.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I generally get mason/building designer, and mechanic on one of my miners.

Same here, but I like having the miners being pretty dedicated. Usually stick building designer on most of my other dorfs, which may or may not be a mistakes.

Artreus on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    You only really need one building designer I think.
    Anyway I'd say feel free to start whenever you want, river, lots of trees, some stones, maybe lava ;)

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    It'll have to be by the mountains and sitting on HIDDEN FUN STUFF, everything else is secondary.

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    You only really need one building designer I think.
    Anyway I'd say feel free to start whenever you want, river, lots of trees, some stones, maybe lava ;)

Sacrificing enemies to the angry lava gods.

Also SO elaborate please. Also suggest starting jorbs/supplies, I would like your input as well.

Artreus on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I usually grab two max miners, one carpenter/woodcutter/bowyer, one mason/architect, a farmer/brewer, a farmer/cook and a mechanic/stonecrafter. If we're playing in a watery area, give the miners a point of swimming too. That'll keep them alive if they're digging around in aquefiers and lakes.

Equipment I bring along 20 plump helmet spawn, 10 of all other seeds except those worthless dimple cups, two dogs, and tons of turtle meat, booze and about 40-80 logs. You can sell off one axe at the start because you wont need two. If you really want to save on starting cash, bring along 3 charcoal, one malachite stone and two granite stones. Then you can just smelt the ore into copper and turn that into the axe you need right away, plus get extra points to play around with.

Also bring along a few dogs, so your dwarves can pretend to be Shackleton if things go bad.

Hidden fun stuff =
    Demons.

You can use the regional prospector util to reveal it at the start before we embark.

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Also Fallout, damn. Can't you stay out of jail for just one second?

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Alright, I think I will want to get more livestock than that if I can swing it.

So yes or no to waiting until the caravan to get an anvil. I think I am going to start tomorrow (Sunday) so there is still time to suggest things.

Artreus on
  • Options
    JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Use the regional prospector, make sure the fort contains adamantine/pits somewhere so if there are no hostiles above-ground we can dig some up.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    flooding the world with demons.

Artreus on
  • Options
    The One Dark KnightThe One Dark Knight Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Gotta say fenix's build, and give the miner novice appraiser/consoler/judge of intent too. And let's not take an anvil the first year. Take wood and food instead.

Region wise let's get a river and magma, and a mountain tile otherwise no possibility for adamantine.

EDIT: take 100-150 meat, but make sure you take at least one of each kind so we get extra barrels.
    EDIT2: And make lots of bins, early.

EDIT3: If at all possible, could I be moved slightly further up the list to near spot 10ish?

The One Dark Knight on
    [END]
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I'd make the stonecrafter/mech the leader with the appraise/console skills. Miners are usually too busy

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    My Dwarfs always seem to pick different expedition leaders to the one I give appraiser etc to, which is quite annoying. Also whoever goes first, I think you should make sure to get some crops up and running straight away, it is pretty hard to run out of food with crops. I vote for taking the anvil with us first thing, being able to make more picks/battleaxes as they're needed is handy, and I personally draft immigrant peasants straight into the military, and let them wrestle in armour with shields for a while before giving them crossbows or hammers.
    I'd like to be a bit closer to the start, maybe somewhere around 7?

Oh, and making waterfalls in the centres of your dining room and bedroom that pumps itself back to the river is a lot harder than I expected. Walling around the waterfall, even with glass/obsidian will ruin all the benefits of having one in the first place, won't it?

L|ama on
  • Options
    seizureorbsseizureorbs Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    so can we do that thing where all the dorfs are named after forumers

because you know

my name is perfect for this

seizureorbs on
    eyes.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Stim where's the regular thread? Did you let it die? Hwarhbglglg.

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Stim where's the regular thread? Did you let it die? Hwarhbglglg.

Unfortunately it is getting really fucking taxing to do.
    So yes I have :|
    With too many dwarves it becomes incredibly difficult to do the style of writeups I was enjoying doing.

If I ever do it again I'm going to have to edit the .ini or whatever to limit dwarves to something like 30/40.
    Because past that it turned into a giant fucking headache.
    I'd also have to see if there is a way to make the goblins start invading with less dwarves. I'm sure you can edit that there too.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    does anyone use autohotkey?
    it does a few handy things for this game that i really like.

redfenix on