As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Quitting my job, what about my vacation hours?

klokklok Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Been kind of slack at work lately and I get the feeling my days are numbered so I've decided to leave on my own accord so I don't burn any bridges and they are able to find a replacement for my shifts. I work at a retail store for about a year and a half and have racked up 30 hours of vacation which i never used.

Now I am guessing if I call it quit (or fired) those hours go down the drain, thats almost a weeks worth of pay so I don't really want to waste it. Would I be able to put in my two weeks and at the same time use my vacation hours? Would that be the right thing to do?

klok on

• supertallsupertall Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    They have to pay you any vacation days you've accrued, so you'll just get a larger paycheque for your last one.

supertall on
  • klokklok Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Thanks also another question I have that maybe could be answered, on my check stub above my available vacation hours it says "PH Available: #" I'm guessing this means 'paid hours available.' Does this mean I have hours they can't verify I have yet because I missed punching into work/ending work, etc?

klok on
  • DesertBoxDesertBox Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    supertall wrote: »
    They have to pay you any vacation days you've accrued, so you'll just get a larger paycheque for your last one.

I was under the impression that this was just policy at some companies, not necessarily mandated by law or anything. I've heard of ppl's accrued PTO going down the drain. You might very well be right, I'm just asking before we go presuming.

DesertBox on
  • SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    They don't really have to do anything. Most companies will pay out your accrued PTO when you leave, but they are under no requirment to do so, especially if you're fired or don't give 2 weeks notice. That said, check your employee handbook, it's probably in there somewhere.

Edit: beat'd by 2 minutes. I state mine with some certainty though, if that helps.

Edit again - this could well varry state by state. My certainty is crumbling.

SlickShughes on
  • musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I have a friend in a situation who doesn't get paid for his vacation hours, so he's going to put in his 2 weeks and use all his vacation days and not go in for those 2 weeks.

musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
  • RNEMESiS42RNEMESiS42 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    When I resigned from a grocery store after three years, I had a considerable amount of sick days and vacation built up. For my last check, the paid me out in full or those hours, and I left with quite a big chunk of money. It was nice having as I looked for a new job.

RNEMESiS42 on
    my apartment looks upside down from there
    water spirals the wrong way out the sink
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    musanman wrote: »
    I have a friend in a situation who doesn't get paid for his vacation hours, so he's going to put in his 2 weeks and use all his vacation days and not go in for those 2 weeks.

That's fine as long as the employer approves of it, that's known as "terminal leave". Just make sure it's going to be kosher with your job, you don't want to leave a job you worked at for a year and a half without being able to get a good recommendation from them.

Regina Fong on
  • EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Up here in Canada, an employer is required to pay out any unreceived vacation time. It's usually a percentage of your total earnings (around 4-5%) unless there is another formula adopted by the company.

A year and a half gets you 30 hours?!

Are you sure that is right?

Endomatic on
  • MephistophelesMephistopheles Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It's the US. We don't take vacations.

Mephistopheles on
    "Friends are just enemies in reverse."
    - Gary Busey
    A Glass, Darkly
  • ins0mniacins0mniac Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    About two weeks after I quit my job (after giving adequate two week notice) I recieved all my vacation hours.

It is a very nice thing to find in your mail. Free money, provided your place of employment isn't dickish about it. I can imagine leaving on bad terms might hinder it.. but if you don't receive it after 30 days, I think you might want to contact them or perhaps a corporate office if one exists.

EDIT: And from what I understand, they have to pay you for your vacation time BY LAW (at least in Massachusetts). This is from word of mouth and I have no documentation to back this up, so perhaps someone can inform us otherwise.

ins0mniac on
    X-Box Live Gamertag: Merciless319
  • Susan DelgadoSusan Delgado Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I think for most places, PTO/vacation time is a benefit, so they don't have to do anything.

If you can get your hands on the company policies or employee handbook it will probably describe what they do if you leave (with adequate notice).

Susan Delgado on
    Go then, there are other worlds than these.
    edited May 2008
    Endomatic wrote: »
    A year and a half gets you 30 hours?!

Are you sure that is right?

Yeah that's what it says on my check stub, maybe they don't give vacation hours during the first 3 months (it's been so long i forgot what they called it, but i didn't have benefits). I was eligible for benefits near the end of january, so maybe it's only been a year and 3 months.

Which is practically a year and a half, I'm guessing they deleted my vacation hours for last year since i didn't use them.

klok on
  • CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Whether he can collect unpaid vacation time upon termination depends on what state the OP is in, whether he would be considered an at-will or contractual employee (I'm guessing the former over the latter), what it states in the company's employee handbook, whether he made the proper request in a timely fashion AND if he did and/or did not sign away his rights to collect unpaid vacation time for some other benefit.

In other words, we need more info my man.

EDIT: might want to check to see if your vacation time is specified in the handbook to have an expiration date as well.

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    At my company you forfeit all vacation time when you put in your notice. So you have to take all your time, then put in your notice and work your last 2 weeks.

DeShadowC on
  • sinnsinn Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It really does vary state by state. Here in NY your employer is required to pay you all of your accrued vacation time no later than your final scheduled paycheck, UNLESS the employer has a specific WRITTEN policy that you've signed off on (e.g. company handbook, etc...) that states otherwise.

It's worth googling around for your states department of labor website and seeing what they have to say on the matter.

sinn on
    He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past.
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    we definitely need to know what country and state/province the OP is in, since the exact answer to his question will be determined by that.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • MurphysParadoxMurphysParadox Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Does your store's company have an HR group? I imagine a simple phone call or website check could clear this up right quick. I've never heard of a company simply dropping vacation hours without paying them out... but I work for/have friends who work for large companies (thousands of employees), which tends to ensure a strong HR framework.

MurphysParadox on
    Murphy's Law: Whatever can go wrong will go wrong.
    Murphy's Paradox: The more you plan, the more that can go wrong. The less you plan, the less likely your plan will succeed.
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I've heard that retained vacation & compensation varies by state. What state are you in?

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
    edited May 2008
    I live in North Carolina, workin at a target store to be more specific. I haven't had a chance to get my hands on a employee handbook yet but I'm going to try and do that next time I go into work.

klok on
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Oh... aye, definitely do that.

AH! You're a lucky bugger:

http://jobsearchtech.about.com/cs/labor_laws/a/vacation_pay.htm

Apparently only the following states have it, by law, that if an employer offers you vacation time they must compensate you for it as you've accrued it:

* California
    * Illinois
    * Iowa
    * Louisiana
    * Maine
    * Massachusetts
    * North Carolina
    * Oregon
    * Rhode Island
    * Tennessee

North Carolina's on the list! That means that, no matter what their handbook says, they owe you payment on any back vacation that you haven't taken.

EDIT: Just make sure that you give them advance notice etc... otherwise they apparently might be allowed to deny it.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095