As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Invincible Iron Thread: The Movies, The Comics, The Ephemera

ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited April 2009 in Graphic Violence
So I saw it at an 8pm show today and holy balls it was sweet.

Robert Downy was pitch perfect as Tony Stark. A real dick who you'd want to hang out with anyway.

The evolution of the suit was very well done, I thought, and unlike every other "hero discovering his powers" sequence in superhero origin films, it was interesting and funny to watch, with all the screw-ups and laffos.

Stane was a so-so villain made much better by Jeff Bridge's performance and Paltrow as Pepper Potts (against all expectations) did not annoy me literally to death.

Primarily I must say, stay though the credits, beeyotch.
Nick Fury? Avengers Initiative? Literally best after-credits bonus scene ever.

I'm having a little trouble formulating more thoughts because I'm having a conversation while I'm typing and finding it hard to split my thoughts between the two, so comment further and I'll chime in later.

newsigs.jpg
Servo on

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited May 2008
    gwyneth paltrow was fantastic in this, I thought

but then, most everybody was

DJ Eebs on
  • RuinsRuins Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So when they said the Avenger Initiative did they mean just making up the Avengers or the 50 State Initiative?

Ruins on
    ach.png
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    Ruins wrote: »
    So when they said the Avenger Initiative did they mean just making up the Avengers or the 50 State Initiative?
    they don't elaborate. it seems phrased to be kind of an ambiguous nod either way, given iron man's relation to both the regular avengers and the initiative.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Marvel really knows how to do a movie. And how to set up sequels. The after the credits thing is a wide open door. And
    The Ten Rings
    ? Great setup that most people probably won't get.

deadonthestreet on
    edited May 2008
    Marvel really knows how to do a movie. And how to set up sequels. The after the credits thing is a wide open door. And
    The Ten Rings
    When did they mention the
    10 Rings?

Also,
    War Machine being set up.

Ruins on
    ach.png
    edited May 2008
    i loved the new acronym for shield. i don't even remember all of it. strategic homeland something something. The first time that dude popped up I was like "wait, where's he from? oh snap son!" then started leaning over and whispering to my friends. "shield in the house, motherfuckers!"

also, how fucking cool was the closing scene?
    they prepared the whole perfect cover story for him, secret identity and everything and he just figures fuck it. "I'm Iron Man." Cue reporters going nuts.

love it

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The Ten Rings
    10 Rings?
    It was the name of the terrorist organization.

The dude who got his face all scarred up was the Mandarin maybe. He sure had a big, huge ring.

deadonthestreet on
    edited May 2008
    The Ten Rings
    10 Rings?

Also,
    Ten Rings is the name of the terrorist group that captures Tony. they mention it once or twice, but don't make too big a deal out of it. the leader appears to fiddle with a pretty prominent looking ring throughout the movie, but never shoots lasers with it or anything. it definitely seems like a set-up to find the mandarin leading the ten rings over the next movie or two

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I got to screen this today before the big showing.

Fucking.

Amazing.

God Downy Jr. as Stark was the best idea anyone has ever had. Ever.

Bucketman on
    edited May 2008
    Servo wrote: »
    The Ten Rings
    10 Rings?

Also,
    Ten Rings is the name of the terrorist group that captures Tony. they mention it once or twice, but don't make too big a deal out of it. the leader appears to fiddle with a pretty prominent looking ring throughout the movie, but never shoots lasers with it or anything. it definitely seems like a set-up to find the mandarin leading the ten rings over the next movie or two
    So that guy is supposed to be the Mandarin? I hope not.

Ruins on
    ach.png
    edited May 2008
    The Ten Rings
    10 Rings?

Also,
    So that guy is supposed to be the Mandarin? I hope not.
    nah, i definitely didn't think that guy was the mandarin. i thought he was just some jumped-up lieutenant who thought he could take over with the suits.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited May 2008
    i loved the new acronym for shield. i don't even remember all of it. strategic homeland something something. The first time that dude popped up I was like "wait, where's he from? oh snap son!" then started leaning over and whispering to my friends. "shield in the house, motherfuckers!"

also, how fucking cool was the closing scene?
    they prepared the whole perfect cover story for him, secret identity and everything and he just figures fuck it. "I'm Iron Man." Cue reporters going nuts.

love it

and then it cuts right to black sabbath, which I was waiting for the whole movie

DJ Eebs on
  • Mars_UPMars_UP Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Concerning the end credits, It's an spoiler to an Avengers movie with Zak Penn writing it and Robert Downey, Samuel L Jackson and Edward Norton saying they will do it. Also whoever they get for the Captain America, Thor, and Ant-Man will also be apart of it with an aim to a 2011 release.

Mars_UP on
  • RobchamRobcham The Rabbit King of your pantsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Mars_UP wrote: »
    Concerning the end credits, It's an spoiler to an Avengers movie with Zak Penn writing it and Robert Downey, Samuel L Jackson and Edward Norton saying they will do it. Also whoever they get for the Captain America, Thor, and Ant-Man will also be apart of it with an aim to a 2010 release.
    man who do you think is gonna play Captain America in that?
    also the other heroes

Robcham on
    edited May 2008
    Robcham wrote: »
    Concerning the end credits, It's an spoiler to an Avengers movie with Zak Penn writing it and Robert Downey, Samuel L Jackson and Edward Norton saying they will do it. Also whoever they get for the Captain America, Thor, and Ant-Man will also be apart of it with an aim to a 2010 release.
    also the other heroes
    I'd assume they'd get the people they attach to star in those respective movies

DJ Eebs on
    edited May 2008
    Robcham wrote: »
    also the other heroes
    Nick Cassavetes (John Q, The Notebook) is rumored to be directing Captain America, and David Self (Road to Perdition) is writing it and it's scheduled for a July 2009 release but no word on who playing Cap. Matthew Vaughan (Layer Cake) is Directing Thor with Mark Protosevich (I am Legend) writing the script and Kevin McKidd (HBO's Rome) is rumored to be our favorite asgardian badass. Ant Man is definately looks the most interesting as Edgar Wright and Joe Cornish (The guys behind the awesome Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz) are directing and writing the script respectively. Ant Man hasn't been cast yet but Alan Tudyk (Firefly and steve the pirate from dodgeball) and Simon Pegg have been rumored to play Ant Man.

Mars_UP on
    edited May 2008
    By the way...
    Iron Man 2 IS coming out in 2010, and Andrew Marlowe (Hollow Man and Air Force one) is writing Nick Fury.

so here are the tentative release datCaptain America and Thor in 2009, Iron Man 2, Nick Fury and Ant Man in 2010 and the Avengers has no release date but Jon Favreau wants to be the Avengers director.

Mars_UP on
  • bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I loved all the little touches like the TV show theme as Stark's ring-tone? Classy.

Also, <3 Stan Lee

Although... would it have been too much to ask for Bridges to be drinking a white russian in those scenes which required him to drink?

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I got to screen this today before the big showing.

Fucking.

Amazing.

God Downy Jr. as Stark was the best idea anyone has ever had. Ever.

So pretty much Downy had the best idea ever. At least I think, because I heard he wanted the part but got rejected twice before they let him do it.

Also I'm extremely excited to see this tonight! Especially with what everyone is saying. WOO

Prospicience on
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So I saw the film and it was pretty much everything I could've hoped for. Awesomeness.

But I missed that end-of-credits scene. BAH.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I will say the "I'm Iron Man" bit was absolutely fantastic.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Iron Man is definitely being graded on a curve due to being a superhero movie, but it's certainly the best rendition of a superhero yet and a good film overall. Tony's characterization was nailed, Stane is pretty creepy (even if his motives are a bit thin), the relationship with Pepper Potts goes beyond cliche of distant love brought closer by extraordinary circumstances, and the bits with the armor and final fight manage to excite without becoming the entire point of the film.

Finally, the final scene after the credits was a real treat, even for those who knew it was coming.

I have no real complaints beyond the generic rock they used for background music at points and the few moments where Pepper suddenly became a bit of a bumbling idiot.

Also, I liked the presence of SHIELD, but not so much the joke where they don't discover the magic of acronyms until the very end.

Robos A Go Go on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Well thank you Cinemark Tinseltown for completely fucking up my Ironman experience.

What's that? You're going to cut off the sound half way through the picture, then let it keep running mute until the entire thing is shut down altogether? What's this? You're going to take twenty goddamn minutes to get it started again, only to have the rest of the feature with the most intense scenes played in mono sound?

Ugh.

Godfather on
    edited May 2008
    Godfather wrote: »
    Well thank you Cinemark Tinseltown for completely fucking up my Ironman experience.

What's that? You're going to cut off the sound half way through the picture, then let it keep running mute until the entire thing is shut down altogether? What's this? You're going to take twenty goddamn minutes to get it started again, only to have the rest of the feature with the most intense scenes played in mono sound?

Ugh.

Most theatres would give you a gift certificate after that, or something.

Robos A Go Go on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Godfather wrote: »

Ugh.

Most theatres would give you a gift certificate after that, or something.

They gave me a raincheck, but now that I know everything that's going to happen in the movie, it's just not the same.

Godfather on
    edited May 2008
    I have no real complaints beyond the generic rock they used for background music at points and the few moments where Pepper suddenly became a bit of a bumbling idiot.

You're going to have to give examples there because I didn't see that at all.

DJ Eebs on
    edited May 2008

The scene where she nearly kills Tony replacing his arc light heart device and the bit where she mistakes a bomb for some sort of lock-picking device.

I know that little flubs like those don't go so far as to characterize her as an idiot, but it's still humor at the expense of her intelligence and that sort of thing bugs me in general because it's really common with female characters in film tday.

Nonetheless, she's still one of the stronger love interests I've seen in any movie with a romantic subplot, so it's all very forgivable.

Robos A Go Go on
  • 143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    You should spoiler those.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
    edited May 2008
    143999 wrote: »

Sure, though I think it's a little silly.

Robos A Go Go on
  • bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

No he shouldn't. It'll be fine.

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • 143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008

Sure, though I think it's a little silly.

Neither of those are dealbreakers, but both would fall under an "interesting little plot tidbits which aren't seen in preview materials" clause.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • manaleak34manaleak34 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Oh man I just saw it this morning and it is so good.

The movie is top-notch from beginning to end and never any part where you feel a little bad for watching like other Superhero movies.

And the scene after the credits made me as giddy as a schoolgirl.

manaleak34 on
    XBL/Steam:ManaCrevice
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

The scene where she nearly kills Tony replacing his arc light heart device and the bit where she mistakes a bomb for some sort of lock-picking device.

I know that little flubs like those don't go so far as to characterize her as an idiot, but it's still humor at the expense of her intelligence and that sort of thing bugs me in general because it's really common with female characters in film tday.

Nonetheless, she's still one of the stronger love interests I've seen in any movie with a romantic subplot, so it's all very forgivable.
    The "It's like Operation." "What!?" scene made me think she meant more "What the hell are you talking about?" than "What is Operation?"

Also, she's neither a tech OR a doctor, so this was kind of new for her.

And she's probably never seen SHIELDs tech.

I agree completely about the last part, though. I like how he turns on the Stark charm on her at the end and her response is essentially ":V No, Tony, I will not sleep with you."

The Muffin Man on
    edited May 2008

The "It's like Operation." "What!?" scene made me think she meant more "What the hell are you talking about?" than "What is Operation?"

Also, she's neither a tech OR a doctor, so this was kind of new for her.

And she's probably never seen SHIELDs tech.

I agree completely about the last part, though. I like how he turns on the Stark charm on her at the end and her response is essentially ":V No, Tony, I will not sleep with you."
    i totally agree about the heart replacement scene. if my boss asked me to do something like that, i'd probably have the exact same reaction. i mean, look at what she was doing! incidentally, one of my favorite lines in the movie was when she complained about the pus and he explained that it was a byproduct of the tech, not pus, and then she complained that it smelled funny and his response was "yes it does."

the bit at the end where she thought the bomb was a lockpick struck me as odd too, though. it didn't make me think she was meant to be dumb, per se, it just confused me. why would she assume "super high tech lockpick" over "small explosive"? it struck me as one of the few clumsy bits of writing in that it just sort of set up this little joke where he was like "uh, no, just stand back" and it didn't end up playing very well.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, in retrospect, the problem is that these two jokes scenes were a bit forced (in my mind) and required Paltrow to act a little differently to sell the humor. Frankly, I think the first one would have been cut if it wasn't integral to the plot.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited May 2008
    i really liked the first one. it made sense to me and i thought it was a nice little bit that showed how both potts and tony function together.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited May 2008
    the second one seemed to want to set up "these guys are hardcore" while she was assuming "man these guys got supertech like tony does"

DJ Eebs on
    edited May 2008
    yeah, i agree.
    when the shield guy first introduced himself, knowing that sam jackson was supposed to have a cameo, i kind of thought the movie would end with nick fury busting into stark's office and yelling 'motherfucker, i thought i told you to debrief. you think shield's a buncha punks, motherfucker?"

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Holy shit, the movie was FANTASTIC. With the exception of the
    Paltrow scenes discussed
    I could not find one thing wrong with it. WAY better than Batman Begins, despite what my friend argues.
    I was hoping for a War Machine appearance, but "next time." :P

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
    edited May 2008
    the second one seemed to want to set up "these guys are hardcore" while she was assuming "man these guys got supertech like tony does"

Yeah, it was weird that they only had a tiny door-opening bomb and normal guns, though I suppose they were operating under really short notice.

Robos A Go Go on