As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Invincible Iron Thread: The Movies, The Comics, The Ephemera

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited May 2008
    the second one seemed to want to set up "these guys are hardcore" while she was assuming "man these guys got supertech like tony does"

Yeah, it was weird that they only had a tiny door-opening bomb and normal guns, though I suppose they were operating under really short notice.

it kind of makes more sense to me that they have door bombs than a magical skeleton keycard, though

DJ Eebs on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    door bombs make way more sense than magic lock picks. that's what they have now

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    the second one seemed to want to set up "these guys are hardcore" while she was assuming "man these guys got supertech like tony does"

Yeah, it was weird that they only had a tiny door-opening bomb and normal guns, though I suppose they were operating under really short notice.

it kind of makes more sense to me that they have door bombs than a magical skeleton keycard, though

Plus considering the lengths Stane was going to, it seemed like the last thing they wanted to do was risk terrorists getting supertech, so they only brought what they needed.

The Muffin Man on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I meant that there was a bit of a disparity between the hardcore image the writer may have meant to convey (as Geebs suggested) and what the audience actually saw, at least until the post-credits scene. Nobody was really wowed by them getting past the door, or anything else they did.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited May 2008

Plus considering the lengths Stane was going to, it seemed like the last thing they wanted to do was risk terrorists getting supertech, so they only brought what they needed.

tiny bombs and shiny gats

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited May 2008
    I meant that there was a bit of a disparity between the hardcore image the writer may have meant to convey (as Geebs suggested) and what the audience actually saw, at least until the post-credits scene. Nobody was really wowed by them getting past the door, or anything else they did.

Well, to be fair, there wasn't much they were going to be able to do in that situation.

DJ Eebs on
    edited May 2008
    yeah, i mean most of them died man.

they did their best. jeeze.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
    edited May 2008

Well, to be fair, there wasn't much they were going to be able to do in that situation.

How did that guy even survive?

Robos A Go Go on
    edited May 2008
    he's an LMD

DJ Eebs on
  • MAD!MAD! Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    What an awesome movie. I hope that this proves to all the directors out there that you can stay faithful to the material and not try and reinvent the wheel in some "Well I never read the comics... but I want to treat this movie like... And my take on "Insert hero/ team name here" is that they should be like ..."

It's fantastic that Marvel is now making its own movies and has that control. If they keep this up with The Incredible Hulk we are in for some real comic move GOLD!!!!!!!!!!

MAD! on
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Godfather wrote: »
    Well thank you Cinemark Tinseltown for completely fucking up my Ironman experience.

What's that? You're going to cut off the sound half way through the picture, then let it keep running mute until the entire thing is shut down altogether? What's this? You're going to take twenty goddamn minutes to get it started again, only to have the rest of the feature with the most intense scenes played in mono sound?

Ugh.

Most theatres would give you a gift certificate after that, or something.

They gave me a raincheck, but now that I know everything that's going to happen in the movie, it's just not the same.

Out of curiosity, what Cinamark did you go to? We had a problem at the one I work at (today was opening night for our theater) where there was a tornado spotted nearby and we had to shut down all the movies for about 5 minutes to explain emergency proceadures and a ton of people got pissed off because hey who the fuck cares if I might die. I'm watchin Iron Man over here!

Bucketman on
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I am seriously considering picking up whatever the Ultimate incarnation of Iron Man is purely because I loved this movie so much, so I guess it did its job.

No complaints at all. I really liked that he had a drink in his hand at least once every fifteen minutes. The only thing that even made me blink was the Paltrow scene at the end; the one at the beginning was fine, as being flustered and confused in such a situation would be, you know, entirely normal.

Salvation122 on
    edited May 2008
    I wouldn't recommend the Ultimate Iron Man miniseries. He's great in Ultimates 1 and 2, though, and he definitely has some good stories in the regular universe.

DJ Eebs on
  • NabobNabob Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Totally awesome movie, the only complaint I have is I think they went a little over the top with the whole "millionaire playboy" thing at the beginning, it was fine and then that stripper pole rising out of the floor of his private plane just nudged it over the hill.

I hope the Wolverine movie is of this caliber, X3 makes me worry though. But I mean come on, they're putting Deadpool in it so it can't be terrible.

Nabob on
    3DS Friend Code: 3325-2367-6821
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    movie was awesome as hell. Loved it
    Nabob wrote: »

I hope the Wolverine movie is of this caliber, X3 makes me worry though. But I mean come on, they're putting Deadpool in it so it CAN be terrible.

fixed

Algertman on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    This was an origin movie. I thought that the whole SHIELD acronym thing, plus the way they opened the door and handled themselves in general, was also an origin of sorts. It felt to me as though SHIELD was just starting to get its feet wet and they were as new to the whole super-spy thing as Stark was to being Iron Man.

I fully anticipate that if in fact they make another Iron Man film, and if they make an Avengers movie, I bet we'll see SHIELD really grow. Especially if they collaborate with Stark. After all, a lot of their supertech comes from him anyway, right? Isn't the SHIELD helicarrier built by Stark Enterprises?

Lucascraft on
  • GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    aren't they making a nick fury movie?

Guek on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Guek wrote: »
    aren't they making a nick fury movie?

Technically: Yes.

But, technically, as of this time last year they were planning on making one film for almost every character that had ever had their own book. It was the reason Avi Arad left/was leaving Marvel.

However, most of them (if not all of them) are still listed as in production on IMDB, so who knows.

HadjiQuest on
  • D.T.D.T. Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So, the first dude Tony smashes with the Mark I suit is Tom Morello from Rage Against the Machine and Audioslave.

D.T. on
    DxTiddy.png
  • D.T.D.T. Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Also, great movie.

D.T. on
    DxTiddy.png
    edited May 2008
    Nabob wrote: »
    Totally awesome movie, the only complaint I have is I think they went a little over the top with the whole "millionaire playboy" thing at the beginning, it was fine and then that stripper pole rising out of the floor of his private plane just nudged it over the hill.

I hope the Wolverine movie is of this caliber, X3 makes me worry though. But I mean come on, they're putting Deadpool in it so it can't be terrible.

I really wish everyone who thinks X3 was terrible could see all the deleted scenes.

They don't make the movie incredible, but they make it consistent and fix the most major flaws (pacing and plot continuity).

There were scenes that explained where the brotherhood have been since X2, and what they've been doing. There were more scenes that presented and explained the development and production of the cure. There was a scene or two of beast actually doing sciency-things, and some more of him kicking ass. There were a bunch of scenes of altered dialog or extended battles that just made things flow so much better.

But the absolute best was the most radically different ending:
    Wolverine decides that he wants to stay and help continue the X-men, but after all that's happened, he's too shook up to stay. So he leaves, and reverts to his old self, ending up back at the bar from the first film.

A good movie was shot and processed, but it was edited into a broken film.

HadjiQuest on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Wolverine is being done by Fox, not Marvel Studios

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Well thank you Cinemark Tinseltown for completely fucking up my Ironman experience.

What's that? You're going to cut off the sound half way through the picture, then let it keep running mute until the entire thing is shut down altogether? What's this? You're going to take twenty goddamn minutes to get it started again, only to have the rest of the feature with the most intense scenes played in mono sound?

Ugh.

Most theatres would give you a gift certificate after that, or something.

They gave me a raincheck, but now that I know everything that's going to happen in the movie, it's just not the same.

Out of curiosity, what Cinamark did you go to? We had a problem at the one I work at (today was opening night for our theater) where there was a tornado spotted nearby and we had to shut down all the movies for about 5 minutes to explain emergency proceadures and a ton of people got pissed off because hey who the fuck cares if I might die. I'm watchin Iron Man over here!

The one in the Woodlands, TX.

Nothing but clear blue skies that day.

Godfather on
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    D.T. wrote: »
    So, the first dude Tony smashes with the Mark I suit is Tom Morello from Rage Against the Machine and Audioslave.

he also did guitar for a lot of the sound/music stuff. according to the credits at least.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
    edited May 2008
    So,
    what are the odds that bald guy who probably isn't dead after being 'killed' twice, has rings, and was the leader of the '10 rings' cult is going to be the mandarin?

Pretty much 100%, huh?

HadjiQuest on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    So,
    what are the odds that bald guy who probably isn't dead after being 'killed' twice, has rings, and was the leader of the '10 rings' cult is going to be the mandarin?

Pretty much 100%, huh?

Zero.
    He's not the Mandarin, or the leader of the Ten Rings. He's a part of them, and seems to have 1 ring he's wearing and fondling. It would be really fucking retarded to make the Mandarin an Arab guy because, you know, Mandarin Chinese.

Plus, they said repeatedly the Mandarin is not in the movie.

Pony on
    edited May 2008
    Pony wrote: »
    So,

Pretty much 100%, huh?

Zero.
    He's not the Mandarin, or the leader of the Ten Rings. He's a part of them, and seems to have 1 ring he's wearing and fondling. It would be really fucking retarded to make the Mandarin an Arab guy because, you know, Mandarin Chinese.

Plus, they said repeatedly the Mandarin is not in the movie.

Out of curiosity, did you ever see the remake of the Manchurian Candidate a few years ago?

'Manchurian' became the name of a british-american founded global conglomerate.

It was stupid. A bad, bad movie. But, it shows that it could be done, and if it was, it'd be a bit more graceful than that.

HadjiQuest on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    But also

They said the Mandarin wasn't in the movie and that he would be in sequels

They said this many times.

The dude you see is probably a lieutenant of some kind.

Pony on
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    My bet is that movie-Mandarin ends up having ten lieutenants, in ten different countries or regions, and that they all wear a ring to signify their role.

...wait that's getting a bit too LotR.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I wonder how they would do the Mandarin anyway without re-jiggering the whole concept. It really feels like it would set a weird tone by bringing in dragon alien tech power rings.

Grey Ghost on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Is the guy an Arab, or an Afghani?
    A good movie was shot and processed, but it was edited into a broken film.

That tends to happen when you have a bad director.
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I wonder how they would do the Mandarin anyway without re-jiggering the whole concept. It really feels like it would set a weird tone by bringing in dragon alien tech power rings.

Easily. It's like Fury says, Tony's entered a universe a lot bigger than himself. A universe of Marvels.

Crimsondude on
  • CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I saw it and loved it, think it belongs in the upper echelon of comic book movies, along with Batman Begins and the Spiderman franchise. Sequel/Spinoff is coming big time, maybe both.

but this one thing pissed me off big time...
    How can the characters just hop-scotch around the globe without any accountability. I mean, it takes more than an afternoon to fly from California to Afghanistan, even if your motherfuckin' Iron Man. Hell, The Dude goes from California to Afghanistan to retrieve the first iron man armor back to California in less than 24 hours movie time. I can accept some small suspension of logic, but not on that scale.

And BTW
    Retractable stripper pole is the private jet is P.I.M.P. Remind me to have one installed in my own private jet someday...

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I saw it and loved it, think it belongs in the upper echelon of comic book movies, along with Batman Begins and the Spiderman franchise. Sequel/Spinoff is coming big time, maybe both.

but this one thing pissed me off big time...
    How can the characters just hop-scotch around the globe without any accountability. I mean, it takes more than an afternoon to fly from California to Afghanistan, even if your motherfuckin' Iron Man. Hell, The Dude goes from California to Afghanistan to retrieve the first iron man armor back to California in less than 24 hours movie time. I can accept some small suspension of logic, but not on that scale.

And BTW
    Retractable stripper pole is the private jet is P.I.M.P. Remind me to have one installed in my own private jet someday...

On the first spoiler
    Motherfucking repulsor technology. Did you notice how he could fly from his house to the town that was under attack really fucking fast? Stark industry jets.

Mai-Kero on
  • GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    they also make an effort to point out that he can go supersonic with relative easy. who knows how fast he's traveling. mach 1? mach 5? maybe.

Guek on
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Also he is God damn Iron Man so who gives a crap

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I had a nerd-gasam after the credits.

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
    edited May 2008
    Toxic Toys wrote: »
    I had a nerd-gasam after the credits.

Is that better or worse than the normal kind?

Robos A Go Go on
    edited May 2008
    Stickier, certainly.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Way better and stickier. It least I didn't have to clean up afterwards.
    Sam Jackson as Nick Fury. That was awesome.

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
    edited May 2008
    Yes. Yes it was.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png