Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Co-ed dorm rooms

Pants ManPants Man Registered User
edited May 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
pretty self-explanatory, i just saw this on CNN and was kind of shocked

http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/wayoflife/05/02/coed.dorm.rooms.ap/index.html
(AP) -- Erik Youngdahl and Michelle Garcia share a dorm room at Connecticut's Wesleyan University. But they say there's no funny business going on. Really. They mean it.


Erik Youngdahl and Michelle Garcia surf the internet in their room at Wesleyan University.

They have set up their beds side-by-side like Lucy and Ricky in "I Love Lucy" and avert their eyes when one of them is changing clothes.

"People are shocked to hear that it's happening and even that it's possible," said Youngdahl, a 20-year-old sophomore. But "once you actually live in it, it doesn't actually turn into a big deal."

In the prim 1950s, college dorms were off-limits to members of the opposite sex. Then came the 1970s, when male and female students started crossing paths in coed dormitories. Now, to the astonishment of some baby boomer parents, a growing number of colleges are going even further: coed rooms.

At least two dozen schools, including Brown University, the University of Pennsylvania, Oberlin College, Clark University and the California Institute of Technology, allow some or all students to share a room with anyone they choose, including someone of the opposite sex. This spring, as students sign up for next year's room, more schools are following suit, including Stanford University.

As shocking as it sounds to some parents, some students and schools say it's not about sex.

Instead, they say the demand is mostly from heterosexual students who want to live with close friends who happen to be of the opposite sex. Some gay students who feel more comfortable rooming with someone of the opposite sex are also taking advantage of the option.

"It ultimately comes down to finding someone that you feel is compatible with you," said Jeffrey Chang, a junior at Clark in Worcester, Massachusetts, who co-founded the National Student Genderblind Campaign, a group that is pushing for gender-neutral housing. "Students aren't doing this to make a point. They're not doing this to upset their parents. It's really for practical reasons."

Couples do sometimes room together, an arrangement known at some schools as "roomcest." Brown explicitly discourages couples from living together on campus, be they gay or straight. But the University of California, Riverside has never had a problem with a roommate couple breaking up midyear, said James C. Smith, assistant director for residence life.

Most schools introduced the couples option in the past three or four years. So far, relatively few students are taking part. At the University of Pennsylvania, which began offering coed rooms in 2005, about 120 out of 10,400 students took advantage of the option this year.

At UC Riverside, which has approximately 6,000 students in campus housing, about 50 have roommates of the opposite sex. The school has had the option since 2005.

Garcia and Youngdahl live in a house for students with an interest in Russian studies. They said they were already friendly and didn't think they would be compatible with some of the other people in the house.

"I had just roomed with a boy. I was under the impression at the time that girls were a little bit neater and more quiet," Youngdahl said. "As it turns out, I don't see much of a difference from one sex to the other."

Garcia, 19, admitted: "I'm incredibly messy."

Parents aren't necessarily thrilled with boy-girl housing.

Debbie Feldman's 20-year-old daughter, Samantha, is a sophomore at Oberlin in Ohio and plans to room with her platonic friend Grey Caspro, a straight guy, next year. Feldman said she was shocked when her daughter told her.

"When you have a male and female sharing such close quarters, I think it's somewhat delusional to think there won't be sexual tension," 52-year-old Feldman said. "Maybe this generation feels more comfortable walking around in their underwear. I'm not sure that's a good thing."

Still, Feldman said her daughter is partly in college to learn life lessons, and it's her decision. Samantha said she assured her mom that she thinks of Caspro as a brother.

"I'm really close to him, and I consider him one of my really good friends," she said. "I really trust him. That trust makes it work."

i guess this is great if the people rooming with each other are compatable and also incredibly mature, but there are just so many things i can see going wrong with this that i'm really surprised that colleges would take the risk in doing this. if there was ever some kind of sexual incident, i'd bet dollars to doughnuts that the parents would try and find a way to make the college liable in some fashion. i just envision thousands and thousands of horny teenagers signing up for this thinking it'll get them laid.

i dunno, even outside of a dorm situation, co ed roomies are often frowned upon. i don't see it going much better with a bunch of college freshman (although maybe the solution here is to restrict it to upperclassmen who've lived in the dorms before).

Pants Man on
"okay byron, my grandma has a right to be happy, so i give you my blessing. just... don't get her pregnant. i don't need another mom."
«1345678

Posts

  • khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Drez wrote: »
    In fact, I think I know as many co-ed non-romantic roommate situations here as I know single-gender roommate situations. Often there's a 2-girls-1-guy or 1-girl-2-guys kind of thing too. It's not frowned upon at all.

    Your talking about people that live in a apartment and each have their own room right Drez?

  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Wait, what? I was under the impression that coed dorms were fairly commonplace, especially in large universities. This isn't the 50's. I don't see how this is a big deal at all. o_O

    39kEWYh.jpg
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Henroid wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    And once you're that age, I think "frowned upon" is kind of silly. By who? Trust me, nobody gives a shit at that point. And it's very common, at least here in New York.

    Well, I imagine parents will easily have concern. I'm no parent yet, but thinking about it now, if my daughter was telling me she was going to have a boy as a roomie in her dorm I'd be an adamant prick about it. Or maybe I won't if in her growing up she's displayed herself as being strong willed.

    It's a tricky situation. :P

    (and I was born and raised in California; I'm not that liberal though)

    I'm talking about 22-30. No offense, but what your parents think about your life choices at that point is very much academic and based on generation-old textbooks.

    steam_sig.png
  • Pants ManPants Man Registered User
    edited May 2008
    Drez wrote: »
    In fact, I think I know as many co-ed non-romantic roommate situations here as I know single-gender roommate situations. Often there's a 2-girls-1-guy or 1-girl-2-guys kind of thing too. It's not frowned upon at all.

    i disagree, but whatever.


    again, i just don't see how this could work on a large scale with a bunch of horny 18 year olds. and i am more surprised that a college would take the risk that's inherently involved here. if you live in an apartment and decide to live with a person of the opposite sex, that's your choice. but because roommates are assigned by the college, if one of the roommates turns out to be a creep, there's the potential for some huge problems that the college could potentially be liable for.

    "okay byron, my grandma has a right to be happy, so i give you my blessing. just... don't get her pregnant. i don't need another mom."
  • Pants ManPants Man Registered User
    edited May 2008
    Wait, what? I was under the impression that coed dorms were fairly commonplace, especially in large universities. This isn't the 50's. I don't see how this is a big deal at all. o_O

    co ed ROOMS. read the article, buddy

    "okay byron, my grandma has a right to be happy, so i give you my blessing. just... don't get her pregnant. i don't need another mom."
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    khain wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    In fact, I think I know as many co-ed non-romantic roommate situations here as I know single-gender roommate situations. Often there's a 2-girls-1-guy or 1-girl-2-guys kind of thing too. It's not frowned upon at all.

    Your talking about people that live in a apartment and each have their own room right Drez?

    Usually, yes.

    Again, I was responding to pants man's comment that "outside of a dorm situation" it is still frowned upon.

    steam_sig.png
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Pants Man wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    In fact, I think I know as many co-ed non-romantic roommate situations here as I know single-gender roommate situations. Often there's a 2-girls-1-guy or 1-girl-2-guys kind of thing too. It's not frowned upon at all.

    i disagree, but whatever.


    again, i just don't see how this could work on a large scale with a bunch of horny 18 year olds. and i am more surprised that a college would take the risk that's inherently involved here. if you live in an apartment and decide to live with a person of the opposite sex, that's your choice. but because roommates are assigned by the college, if one of the roommates turns out to be a creep, there's the potential for some huge problems that the college could potentially be liable for.
    Yeah, if both parties consent, then they enter at their own risk. Not that they are consenting or expecting rape. This is fairly commonplace.

    39kEWYh.jpg
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Pants Man wrote: »
    Wait, what? I was under the impression that coed dorms were fairly commonplace, especially in large universities. This isn't the 50's. I don't see how this is a big deal at all. o_O

    co ed ROOMS. read the article, buddy
    Wait, what? I was under the impression that coed ROOMS were also fairly commonplace, especially in large universities. This isn't the 50's. I don't see how this is a big deal at all. o_O

    39kEWYh.jpg
  • KalTorakKalTorak Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Henroid wrote: »
    What'd help is a system of meeting your roomie before actually living with them, like some sort of interview or screening process even. Randomly pairing up people is the danger. I've never lived in a college dorm, nor looked into the process of how that's all done even in non-co-ed places, so... is random pairing the prevalent method?
    I'm pretty sure this system is only for when people choosing their roommates (after freshman year) - a lot of the time people will choose to live with friends they've met during the year. All this does is let that friend be someone of the opposite sex if you want.
    Wait, what? I was under the impression that coed dorms were fairly commonplace, especially in large universities. This isn't the 50's. I don't see how this is a big deal at all. o_O
    This is co-ed rooms, not coed dorms or hallways.

  • Pants ManPants Man Registered User
    edited May 2008
    Pants Man wrote: »
    Wait, what? I was under the impression that coed dorms were fairly commonplace, especially in large universities. This isn't the 50's. I don't see how this is a big deal at all. o_O

    co ed ROOMS. read the article, buddy
    Wait, what? I was under the impression that coed ROOMS were also fairly commonplace, especially in large universities. This isn't the 50's. I don't see how this is a big deal at all. o_O

    seriously, did you read the article? or have ever been to college? or have ever been around teenagers/been a teenager yourself?

    "okay byron, my grandma has a right to be happy, so i give you my blessing. just... don't get her pregnant. i don't need another mom."
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Pants Man wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    In fact, I think I know as many co-ed non-romantic roommate situations here as I know single-gender roommate situations. Often there's a 2-girls-1-guy or 1-girl-2-guys kind of thing too. It's not frowned upon at all.

    i disagree, but whatever.


    again, i just don't see how this could work on a large scale with a bunch of horny 18 year olds. and i am more surprised that a college would take the risk that's inherently involved here. if you live in an apartment and decide to live with a person of the opposite sex, that's your choice. but because roommates are assigned by the college, if one of the roommates turns out to be a creep, there's the potential for some huge problems that the college could potentially be liable for.

    What do you disagree with? I don't know anyone that frowns upon it. I can't say that nobody frowns upon it - and in fact I'm sure people do - but do you have some kind of survey proving that a majority of people out there frown upon gender-mixed groups of people sharing living quarters? All I have to go on is the fact that this is extremely commonplace in New York and that nobody I know, especially in my generation but also in my parent's generation, thinks much of it. Hell, my GRANDMOTHERS don't really think anything of it. They thought it was interesting, actually, when I was planning on moving in with a female friend.

    steam_sig.png
  • FarseerBaradasFarseerBaradas Registered User
    edited May 2008
    Pants Man wrote: »
    Wait, what? I was under the impression that coed dorms were fairly commonplace, especially in large universities. This isn't the 50's. I don't see how this is a big deal at all. o_O

    co ed ROOMS. read the article, buddy
    Wait, what? I was under the impression that coed ROOMS were also fairly commonplace, especially in large universities. This isn't the 50's. I don't see how this is a big deal at all. o_O

    Because apparently people like me, college freshmen, can't control ourselves and if we roomed with a girl we'd go crazy with wanting sex.

    sigeb2.png
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Pants Man wrote: »
    Pants Man wrote: »
    Wait, what? I was under the impression that coed dorms were fairly commonplace, especially in large universities. This isn't the 50's. I don't see how this is a big deal at all. o_O

    co ed ROOMS. read the article, buddy
    Wait, what? I was under the impression that coed ROOMS were also fairly commonplace, especially in large universities. This isn't the 50's. I don't see how this is a big deal at all. o_O

    seriously, did you read the article? or have ever been to college? or have ever been around teenagers/been a teenager yourself?
    See, the point everyone is invariably making is that once you are in college, you are an adult, and fucking responsible for your own actions.

    39kEWYh.jpg
  • thorgotthorgot Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    My parents lived together when they went to college. And that was a long time ago.

    So I don't see what the big deal is.

    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Pants Man wrote: »
    Pants Man wrote: »
    Wait, what? I was under the impression that coed dorms were fairly commonplace, especially in large universities. This isn't the 50's. I don't see how this is a big deal at all. o_O

    co ed ROOMS. read the article, buddy
    Wait, what? I was under the impression that coed ROOMS were also fairly commonplace, especially in large universities. This isn't the 50's. I don't see how this is a big deal at all. o_O

    seriously, did you read the article? or have ever been to college? or have ever been around teenagers/been a teenager yourself?

    Have you? I know this isn't directed at me, but you seem to be assuming a great many things that shouldn't be assumed.

    steam_sig.png
  • Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS
    edited May 2008
    Pants Man wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    In fact, I think I know as many co-ed non-romantic roommate situations here as I know single-gender roommate situations. Often there's a 2-girls-1-guy or 1-girl-2-guys kind of thing too. It's not frowned upon at all.

    i disagree, but whatever.

    again, i just don't see how this could work on a large scale with a bunch of horny 18 year olds. and i am more surprised that a college would take the risk that's inherently involved here. if you live in an apartment and decide to live with a person of the opposite sex, that's your choice. but because roommates are assigned by the college, if one of the roommates turns out to be a creep, there's the potential for some huge problems that the college could potentially be liable for.

    First, how can you disagree with something Drez knows? Or did you just mean the frowned upon part?

    Are there immature 18 year olds? Yes. Are there immature 40 year olds? Yes. It's not 1950 anymore, and there is enough shielding of young people from the big bad scary world (girls! boys! omigod they're together) as it is. Guy-guy / girl-girl matchups can be just as creepy as guy-girl matchups. The only reason you don't see how it could work is perhaps you aren't mature enough to accept this? I don't mean this as an insult, but it seems this could be an explanation for your extreme resistance to this.

  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Pants Man wrote: »
    Wait, what? I was under the impression that coed dorms were fairly commonplace, especially in large universities. This isn't the 50's. I don't see how this is a big deal at all. o_O

    co ed ROOMS. read the article, buddy
    Wait, what? I was under the impression that coed ROOMS were also fairly commonplace, especially in large universities. This isn't the 50's. I don't see how this is a big deal at all. o_O

    Because apparently people like me, college freshmen, can't control ourselves and if we roomed with a girl we'd go crazy with wanting sex.
    I think the OP may be projecting his own faults upon an entire populace of college-goers. The lol if girl is in room sex I must have lol argument is pretty childish.

    39kEWYh.jpg
  • FarseerBaradasFarseerBaradas Registered User
    edited May 2008
    Pants Man wrote: »
    Pants Man wrote: »
    Wait, what? I was under the impression that coed dorms were fairly commonplace, especially in large universities. This isn't the 50's. I don't see how this is a big deal at all. o_O

    co ed ROOMS. read the article, buddy
    Wait, what? I was under the impression that coed ROOMS were also fairly commonplace, especially in large universities. This isn't the 50's. I don't see how this is a big deal at all. o_O

    seriously, did you read the article? or have ever been to college? or have ever been around teenagers/been a teenager yourself?
    See, the point everyone is invariably making is that once you are in college, you are an adult, and fucking responsible for your own actions.

    Yeah, I can speak from the experience of being in a dormroom right now that we're responsible, sometimes we have fun and shit, but we can control ourselves.

    sigeb2.png
  • Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I was more stunned by the fact that the school I'm going to (Clark) offers this than the fact that it is occurring.

    Honestly, I wouldn't want to date my roommate if I was in this situation. Too awkward, methinks.

  • Pants ManPants Man Registered User
    edited May 2008
    Satan. wrote: »
    Pants Man wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    In fact, I think I know as many co-ed non-romantic roommate situations here as I know single-gender roommate situations. Often there's a 2-girls-1-guy or 1-girl-2-guys kind of thing too. It's not frowned upon at all.

    i disagree, but whatever.

    again, i just don't see how this could work on a large scale with a bunch of horny 18 year olds. and i am more surprised that a college would take the risk that's inherently involved here. if you live in an apartment and decide to live with a person of the opposite sex, that's your choice. but because roommates are assigned by the college, if one of the roommates turns out to be a creep, there's the potential for some huge problems that the college could potentially be liable for.

    First, how can you disagree with something Drez knows? Or did you just mean the frowned upon part?

    Are there immature 18 year olds? Yes. Are there immature 40 year olds? Yes. It's not 1950 anymore, and there is enough shielding of young people from the big bad scary world (girls! boys! omigod they're together) as it is. Guy-guy / girl-girl matchups can be just as creepy as guy-girl matchups. The only reason you don't see how it could work is perhaps you aren't mature enough to accept this? I don't mean this as an insult, but it seems this could be an explanation for your extreme resistance to this.

    okay, a few things:

    i know the opposite of what drez is saying just as much as he knows it. it's a statement of opinion, not fact. i'm sure i KNOW just as many people as he does that think differently about the subject than he does. not to mention that it's only marginally related to the topic at hand because they're two different situations.

    secondly: arguing that 50 year olds are on the whole any way comparable to the maturity level of 18 year olds? really? REALLY?

    lastly, read the OP. i said that if the students are mature enough to handle this, this would be fine and great, like the situation in the article. my problem is that colleges are going to have some kind of liability in this if something goes wrong AND the fact that college freshman are generally looking to get laid and drunk. are all of them? no. but let's stop with the retarded "NUH UH I AM TOTALLY MATURE SEE YOU ARE WRONG" crap.

    "okay byron, my grandma has a right to be happy, so i give you my blessing. just... don't get her pregnant. i don't need another mom."
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I think the crux of the issue is that you are acting like someone from the Victorian era.

    39kEWYh.jpg
  • FarseerBaradasFarseerBaradas Registered User
    edited May 2008
    Pants Man wrote: »

    okay, a few things:

    i know the opposite of what drez is saying just as much as he knows it. it's a statement of opinion, not fact. i'm sure i KNOW just as many people as he does that think differently than he does. not to mention that it's only marginally related to the topic at hand because they're two different situations.

    secondly: arguing that 50 year olds are on the whole any way comparable to the maturity level of 18 year olds? really? REALLY?

    lastly, read the OP. i said that if the students are mature enough to handle this, this would be fine and great, like the situation in the article. my problem is that colleges are going to have some kind of liability in this if something goes wrong AND the fact that college freshman are generally looking to get laid and drunk. are all of them? no. but let's stop with the retarded "NUH UH I AM TOTALLY MATURE SEE YOU ARE WRONG" crap.

    Dude, I'm in college RIGHT NOW and we're responsible enough to not fuck our room mate. Yes, we drink, yes we try to get laid but I really don't see how this makes coed dorm rooms horrible. NEWS FLASH: Teenage males can indeed go long periods of time without trying to screw anything that moves.

    sigeb2.png
  • Pants ManPants Man Registered User
    edited May 2008
    I think the crux of the issue is that you are acting like someone from the Victorian era.

    either that, or you guys are placing most of your argument in the hands of 18 and 19 year olds, most of whom are living on their own for the first time.

    which is hilarious.

    "okay byron, my grandma has a right to be happy, so i give you my blessing. just... don't get her pregnant. i don't need another mom."
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Pants Man wrote: »
    I think the crux of the issue is that you are acting like someone from the Victorian era.

    either that, or you guys are placing most of your argument in the hands of 18 and 19 year olds, most of whom are living on their own for the first time.

    which is hilarious.
    Nope, pretty sure we aren't.

    39kEWYh.jpg
  • FarseerBaradasFarseerBaradas Registered User
    edited May 2008
    Pants Man wrote: »
    I think the crux of the issue is that you are acting like someone from the Victorian era.

    either that, or you guys are placing most of your argument in the hands of 18 and 19 year olds, most of whom are living on their own for the first time.

    which is hilarious.

    Well, since 18 and 19 year olds are the ones you are saying aren't mature enough, I don't see why my opinion and observations of college as a 19 year old are invalid.

    sigeb2.png
  • Pants ManPants Man Registered User
    edited May 2008
    Dude, I'm in college RIGHT NOW and we're responsible enough to not fuck our room mate. Yes, we drink, yes we try to get laid but I really don't see how this makes coed dorm rooms horrible. NEWS FLASH: Teenage males can indeed go long periods of time without trying to screw anything that moves.

    hooray for you and your roommate

    look, i'm not saying all freshmen are stupid and horny and looking to get drunk. but a lot of them are, and if you don't think there'd be more problems with a 1000 coed dorm rooms compared with a 1000 single sex dorm rooms, you're out of your mind.

    "okay byron, my grandma has a right to be happy, so i give you my blessing. just... don't get her pregnant. i don't need another mom."
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Pants Man wrote: »
    Dude, I'm in college RIGHT NOW and we're responsible enough to not fuck our room mate. Yes, we drink, yes we try to get laid but I really don't see how this makes coed dorm rooms horrible. NEWS FLASH: Teenage males can indeed go long periods of time without trying to screw anything that moves.

    hooray for you and your roommate

    look, i'm not saying all freshmen are stupid and horny and looking to get drunk. but a lot of them are, and if you don't think there'd be more problems with a 1000 coed dorm rooms compared with a 1000 single sex dorm rooms, you're out of your mind.
    The thing is, we are not okay with your broad sweeping generalities and the implications they entail. So find a new, cogent argument and try again. Your fallacies just continue to detract from your waning point.

    39kEWYh.jpg
  • FarseerBaradasFarseerBaradas Registered User
    edited May 2008
    Pants Man wrote: »
    Dude, I'm in college RIGHT NOW and we're responsible enough to not fuck our room mate. Yes, we drink, yes we try to get laid but I really don't see how this makes coed dorm rooms horrible. NEWS FLASH: Teenage males can indeed go long periods of time without trying to screw anything that moves.

    hooray for you and your roommate

    look, i'm not saying all freshmen are stupid and horny and looking to get drunk. but a lot of them are, and if you don't think there'd be more problems with a 1000 coed dorm rooms compared with a 1000 single sex dorm rooms, you're out of your mind.

    I really don't think there'd be a huge problem, or even many more problems with coed vs. single sex.

    sigeb2.png
  • Pants ManPants Man Registered User
    edited May 2008
    the other thing is: as rare as sexual assault might end up being, why should colleges even try and facilitate coed rooms, which is only going to serve to increase the chances of it happening?

    "okay byron, my grandma has a right to be happy, so i give you my blessing. just... don't get her pregnant. i don't need another mom."
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    What can I say, Pants Man? Your logic is impeccable. Put boys and girls together and everything goes to shit. It's very obvious and we are all very silly for not immediately grasping this flawless, irrefutable point.

    steam_sig.png
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Drez wrote: »
    What can I say, Pants Man? Your logic is impeccable. Put boys and girls together and everything goes to shit. It's very obvious and we are all very silly for not immediately grasping this flawless, irrefutable point.
    You forgot babies. There's always babies.

    39kEWYh.jpg
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Pants Man wrote: »
    I think the crux of the issue is that you are acting like someone from the Victorian era.

    either that, or you guys are placing most of your argument in the hands of 18 and 19 year olds, most of whom are living on their own for the first time.

    which is hilarious.

    Well, since 18 and 19 year olds are the ones you are saying aren't mature enough, I don't see why my opinion and observations of college as a 19 year old are invalid.

    Because the plural of anecdote isn't data? Look, this is the Debate and Discourse section of a video game forum, as a whole, the people who are here are probably smarter and a little more mature than the average member of their age group. I have no idea how the average 18 or 19 year old would handle a co-ed dorm room and neither do you.

    That said, I don't think this is all that big a deal, except from the school's perspective, there's a question of liability that might make me shy away from this if I were a school administrator. All it takes is one bad case or event and the school is potentially fucked in a legal sense.

    Lose: to suffer defeat, to misplace (Ex: "I hope I don't lose the match." "Did you lose your phone again?")
    Loose: about to slip, to release (Ex: "That knot is loose." "Loose arrows.")
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Pants Man wrote: »
    the other thing is: as rare as sexual assault might end up being, why should colleges even try and facilitate coed rooms, which is only going to serve to increase the chances of it happening?
    This is stupid.

    I'm not even sure how to respond to it, it's so stupid.

  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Pants Man wrote: »
    Dude, I'm in college RIGHT NOW and we're responsible enough to not fuck our room mate. Yes, we drink, yes we try to get laid but I really don't see how this makes coed dorm rooms horrible. NEWS FLASH: Teenage males can indeed go long periods of time without trying to screw anything that moves.

    hooray for you and your roommate

    look, i'm not saying all freshmen are stupid and horny and looking to get drunk. but a lot of them are, and if you don't think there'd be more problems with a 1000 coed dorm rooms compared with a 1000 single sex dorm rooms, you're out of your mind.

    I'm very out of my mind then. Not only do I not see anything wrong with this, but I think it is a step in the right direction.

    steam_sig.png
  • Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS
    edited May 2008
    Pants Man wrote: »
    okay, a few things:

    i know the opposite of what drez is saying just as much as he knows it. it's a statement of opinion, not fact.

    You said "disagree". You should probably choose your words better. Something like "I understand that you know thing X, but I also know thing Y in addition". Saying you disagree is saying that Drez is wrong.
    Pants Man wrote: »
    secondly: arguing that 50 year olds are on the whole any way comparable to the maturity level of 18 year olds? really? REALLY?

    Really. Oh and 40 year olds, but whatever. My point, that you completely missed, is that immaturity can exist at all ages. At what point do you say it's OK for co-ed roommates? What makes you judge and jury on choosing that age?
    Pants Man wrote: »
    lastly, read the OP. i said that if the students are mature enough to handle this, this would be fine and great, like the situation in the article. my problem is that colleges are going to have some kind of liability in this if something goes wrong AND the fact that college freshman are generally looking to get laid and drunk.

    Freshman roommate pairings go wrong all the time. The sex doesn't matter. My freshman roommate sucked, and I picked him. If you don't like your roommate, guess what, either 1) suck it up and deal or 2) bitch and get your room changed. It can and does happen all of the time.
    Pants Man wrote: »
    but let's stop with the retarded "NUH UH I AM TOTALLY MATURE SEE YOU ARE WRONG" crap.

    Just as soon as you stop assuming all college freshman want to do nothing but fuck every member of the opposite sex they lay eyes upon, we'll stop telling you that mature people exist in the world.

  • Pants ManPants Man Registered User
    edited May 2008
    Pants Man wrote: »
    Dude, I'm in college RIGHT NOW and we're responsible enough to not fuck our room mate. Yes, we drink, yes we try to get laid but I really don't see how this makes coed dorm rooms horrible. NEWS FLASH: Teenage males can indeed go long periods of time without trying to screw anything that moves.

    hooray for you and your roommate

    look, i'm not saying all freshmen are stupid and horny and looking to get drunk. but a lot of them are, and if you don't think there'd be more problems with a 1000 coed dorm rooms compared with a 1000 single sex dorm rooms, you're out of your mind.
    The thing is, we are not okay with your broad sweeping generalities and the implications they entail. So find a new, cogent argument and try again. Your fallacies just continue to detract from your waning point.

    wait, my broad, sweeping generality that teenagers are horny? do you really want me to provide emprical evidence to that effect?

    i'm sorry your panties are in a bunch over the implication that college freshman are on the whole much more prone to retardation than even upper classmen, but that is hardly some kind of radical assumption on my part.

    "okay byron, my grandma has a right to be happy, so i give you my blessing. just... don't get her pregnant. i don't need another mom."
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Satan. wrote: »
    Pants Man wrote: »
    but let's stop with the retarded "NUH UH I AM TOTALLY MATURE SEE YOU ARE WRONG" crap.

    Just as soon as you stop assuming all college freshman want to do nothing but fuck every member of the opposite sex they lay eyes upon, we'll stop telling you that mature people exist in the world.
    Oh shit. If I room with a dude, that means I will constantly have to not have sex with him. Fuck. What will I do? What if I am in no way attracted to him, and he isn't even gay? Fuck. This is a dilemma. I'll have to room with a girl. But then, because she is female, I will inevitably end up having sex with her, because even though I'm gay, I am obligated to sex her up because she is within my 300 meter dong proximity.

    39kEWYh.jpg
  • duallainduallain Registered User
    edited May 2008
    That most important piece of this is that it isn't terrible common. If you read the article you see that there are hundreds of people doing this when there are thousands of people living in the residence halls for whatever universities are offering it. People seem to be effectively policing themselves.

    I know it's cool and all to think that college kids are still kids but when do we start treating them like adults, allowed to make decisions (that sometimes turn out poorly) for themselves?

  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Pants Man wrote: »
    the other thing is: as rare as sexual assault might end up being, why should colleges even try and facilitate coed rooms, which is only going to serve to increase the chances of it happening?

    For many reasons, some of which have been discussed already:

    1) Gives homosexual students more chance to feel comfortable.
    2) Gives heterosexual friends the ability to room together.

    Why are you ignoring these things? Those are only two good reasons out of a possible hundred or thousand more.

    I'm not assuming that there will necessarily be sexual tension between a homosexual male rooming with another male (homosexual or not) but why not allow them a choice? And why not allow co-gender platonic couples the opportunity to room together?

    Nothing you've suggested is a valid reason against this. You're just throwing out silly hypotheticals which reflect - as others have suggested - a very conservative, backwards point of view.

    steam_sig.png
  • Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS
    edited May 2008
    Pants Man, maybe you should take a break and come back and argue this a bit more rationally.

«1345678
Sign In or Register to comment.