As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Co-ed dorm rooms

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Banning alcohol would be a first good step to decreasing rape cases.

Casually Hardcore on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Well, in the US you aren't legally allowed to drink until you are 21, so it is de facto banned in most dorms.

Also can we please not turn this into a rape thread?

deadonthestreet on
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    Banning alcohol would be a first good step to decreasing rape cases.

Not really. I mean in case you hadn't noticed, the fact that it's illegal to possess alcohol under 21 years of age doesn't exactly stop any freshmen from getting tanked.

ViolentChemistry on
  • AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Well, in the US you aren't legally allowed to drink until you are 21, so it is de facto banned in most dorms.

Also can we please not turn this into a rape thread?

That would be a shining example of a de jure ban.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Then make it a crushingly bad idea to get drunk.

Make it an expellable offense to be caught DUI, drinking on campus, and so on.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    That is silly and dumb

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
    edited May 2008
    Silly and dumb ideas often works.

Casually Hardcore on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Quid wrote: »
    But the mandatory rule, I agree, is dumb as it stands right now. If, however, the housing were improved to the point that it was worth the amount of money they were giving up I'd have less issue with it.

Same here. Actually, the general quality of the housing was a large part of why I hated the barracks as well.

mcdermott on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    But the mandatory rule, I agree, is dumb as it stands right now. If, however, the housing were improved to the point that it was worth the amount of money they were giving up I'd have less issue with it.

Same here. Actually, the general quality of the housing was a large part of why I hated the barracks as well.
    I'm not surprised. I stayed one night with an army friend and was kind of surprised. However, bit by bit the military is improving those too.

Quid on
  • zakkielzakkiel Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

I think you're missing out on what a silly and dumb idea is. By definition, they don't work out very often.

zakkiel on
    Account not recoverable. So long.
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    KalTorak wrote: »
    There is a pretty big problem with rape and what's being done to prevent it at colleges. My girlfriend's school (one of the ones trying out this coed-room thing) tried to claim that there have been no sexual assaults at the college in five years, when in reality there were quite a few that hadn't been reported. The ones that were reported were swept under the carpet.

At my school, a reported rape case brought to light a previous incident, in which a student was raped by an RA, who afterward was allowed to keep his job (even though an RA selling marijuana would have been terminated w/ no questions asked). There was a student uproar and eventually the zero-tolerance rule was changed to include rapists, but the fact that the judiciary policy considered selling marijuana a more serious offense than rape is just indicative of how sick a lot of systems are.

I'm not sure what (if any) correlation there would be between co-ed rooms and sexual assault. It does seem likely that people would immediately try to establish a correlation if the sexual assault rates went up at all, and hold the school responsible.

Couldn't they have gone after him for sexual harassment and normal assault if they wanted to keep their record? Hell, couldn't they have just put him on the "hurling team" and had all the football players beat the crap out of him?

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

You may, perhaps, be forgetting that colleges and universities are businesses. The severity required to effect a real ban, considering the sort of policies that are common now, would be a tremendous deterrent to enrollment.

Especially when one considers what percentage of students have already been getting drunk in highschool, and have no plans to stop.

Tarantio on
    edited May 2008

You endorse kicking people out of school for drinking because rape? And here I thought the temperance movement went out with flappers.

ViolentChemistry on
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Question:

Is mandatory "you must stay in our dorms" even legal in the USA? I don't know, I suppose as an outsider I have this conception of American's being big on the whole personal liberties thing, and this seems like a huge infringement on those liberties.

Also, while I may not agree with Mcdermott's tone, his point is pretty valid IMO. The folks, who in response to my bringing up the issue said they thought dorms being mandatory were a good idea seemed to be basically basing that on "it worked fine for me, so requiring everyone to do it is an awesome idea" which isn't exactly a compelling argument. A compelling argument would be something showing that dorms are such an overwhelmingly positive influence that making them mandatory is reasonable.

I think dorms have some good points, and can benefit a lot of people. For other people, like the person I was in my first year of university, dorms were extremely bad for me.

I did a cursory google search and I couldn't find any instances of dorms (or as their often called here, residence) being mandatory in Canadian universities. All that came up was a bunch of stuff about mandatory meal plans for people who live in dorms.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Corvus wrote: »
    Question:

Is mandatory "you must stay in our dorms" even legal in the USA? I don't know, I suppose as an outsider I have this conception of American's being big on the whole personal liberties thing, and this seems like a huge infringement on those liberties.

Well, you aren't forced to go to the school so I don't see how it infringes on civil liberties. By attending, you are agreeing to follow the school's rules.

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Question:

It's legal for private institutions - fuck, they can pretty much do whatever they please.

Not sure what the situation is for state schools. I'd guess that they'd be more flexible.

KalTorak on
    edited May 2008
    Um, people have choice on where they go to school, and so, yeah, of course it is legal. America is also a place with way more colleges and universities and a lot of choice for where people can go, so if people want to go to a residential college where people live in dorms, they can, and if they don't want to, they can go elsewhere.

Where I am, everyone has to live in the dorms as first years, and mostly in all first year dorms. I think it's nice way to get to know your class and bond with them and make friends. After that, people are free to move off campus... though we are guaranteed housing if we choose to for all 4 years, which the vast majority of people choose to do (given that we are in Manhattan and unlike other places, it might not actually be cheaper to move off campus unless you went ass far away).

Some other schools are really based on, in a large part, the residential aspect. Others, not so much. Choice is a nice thing, no?

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Question:

It's legal for private institutions - fuck, they can pretty much do whatever they please.

Not sure what the situation is for state schools. I'd guess that they'd be more flexible.

It was mandatory for my freshman year of college in a public university.

So was Physics, but I tested out.

moniker on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    moniker wrote: »
    Question:

It was mandatory for my freshman year of college in a public university.

So was Physics, but I tested out.

The only way to test out of living in a dorm double is to have crippling allergies or a wheelchair, m i rite?

KalTorak on
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Question:

Hmm, yeah I suppose the private institution thing kind of gets them around that.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    zakkiel wrote: »

I think you're missing out on what a silly and dumb idea is. By definition, they don't work out very often.

My coach said it was a bad idea to catch that pass. I fractured the bones in my leg 27 times, but I got the touch down! The world is built on bad ideas, my boy!

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
    edited May 2008
    Tarranon wrote: »
    zakkiel wrote: »

My coach said it was a bad idea to catch that pass. I fractured the bones in my leg 27 times, but I got the touch down! The world is built on bad ideas, my boy!

No, the world is built on a goddamn turtle's back.

KalTorak on
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I did a cursory google search and I couldn't find any instances of dorms (or as their often called here, residence) being mandatory in Canadian universities. All that came up was a bunch of stuff about mandatory meal plans for people who live in dorms.

To the best of my knowledge there are no mandatory residence higher education institutions in this country. The entire idea strikes me as something between asinine and astoundingly retarded.

Co-ed dorm rooms I've got no problem with.

Senjutsu on
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008

You endorse kicking people out of school for drinking because rape? And here I thought the temperance movement went out with flappers.
    The flappers were hardly anti-booze. That was their mums, who were anti-booze because they had no social or legal power to escape their drunken punchy spouses.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The Cat wrote: »

The flappers were hardly anti-booze. That was their mums, who were anti-booze because they had no social or legal power to escape their drunken punchy spouses.
    See lady with tomahawk. Also The Great Gatsby.

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Also, driving drinking underground creates an illicit and unhealthy drinking culture, prone to dangerous binging. The school I go to has adopted the policy position that freshman dorm staff will allow drinking so long as it occurs in rooms with open doors, since we actually wind up sending fewer people to the hospital that way than we did back in full-on prohibition days.

Not to mention that college is a lot less fun when it's run by anti-booze nazis.

MrMister on
  • MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Also, although campus rape is certainly a legitimate concern, I haven't yet seen how segregating rooms is the most effective or appropriate measure to take in preventing it.

MrMister on
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Oh god. I thought this was [chat].

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
    edited May 2008

I never said the flappers were anti-booze, I said that they went out of style. And banning alcohol didn't give anyone any social or legal power to escape punchy spouses or parents, who may or may not actually even be drunk.

ViolentChemistry on
    edited May 2008
    Yeah MrMister, you guys have such a better and safer policy. It was nice knowing, when I was visiting friends there, that if anything happened, the RA wouldn't get you in trouble, but would actually help you. Over here there is a terrible draconian closed door policy and people get written up all the time, and it is lame. And people need to hide and be secretive and it is so much worse. But that's because this place, in many ways, is full of suck and terrible.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

I never said the flappers were anti-booze, I said that they went out of style. And banning alcohol didn't give anyone any social or legal power to escape punchy spouses or parents, who may or may not actually even be drunk.

You'd think punchy spouses would be punchier without their sweet sweet alcohol fix.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    Sure, if you didn't know anything about alcohol.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
    edited May 2008

Or, you know, you never met an alcoholic.

So wait, we're blaming domestic violence on alcohol now?

Kagera on
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    As far as my experience goes, Alcohol makes people prone to violence even more violent.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Kagera wrote: »

Alcohol abuse is a major contributing factor to domestic violence.

But I doubt you knew that, seeing as how you enjoy spouting off announcing your glaring ignorance near constantly.

Regina Fong on
    edited May 2008
    Alcohol abuse frequently plays a role in situations of domestic abuse however you can have one without the other and banning alcohol doesn't get rid of domestic violence nor give its victims any social or legal escape.

ViolentChemistry on
    edited May 2008
    jeepguy wrote: »
    Kagera wrote: »

Alcohol abuse is a major contributing factor to domestic violence.

But I doubt you knew that, seeing as how you enjoy spouting off announcing your glaring ignorance near constantly.

Love you too pookie.

Kagera on
    edited May 2008
    Domestic violence happens because domestic violence happens, alcohol or no alcohol.

The thing with alcohol is that it can take a perfectly okay guy or gal and turn them into something not so okay. Whether it be a wife beater or a Jezebel.

Now for some reason college kids love to binge drink, 100 people all together drinking their minds off will equate to something happening. Fights, rape, 100 men orgy, or whatever. Alcohol does that to people.

Of course not everybody who goes to these party are there to binge drink. But it only takes 1 guy to rape a girl.

Casually Hardcore on
    edited May 2008
    Good god what are we even talking about anymore?

MrMister on
    edited May 2008
    The thing with alcohol is that it can take a perfectly okay guy or gal and turn them into something not so okay. Whether it be a wife beater or a Jezebel.

Now for some reason college kids love to binge drink, 100 people all together drinking their minds off will equate to something happening. Fights, rape, 100 men orgy, or whatever. Alcohol does that to people.

Of course not everybody who goes to these party are there to binge drink. But it only takes 1 guy to rape a girl.

You're giving alcohol more control over people than it has. The social convention of getting drunk and acting like a jackass is the phenomenon you should be raging against, not alcohol itself.

ViolentChemistry on