As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Invincible Iron Thread: The Movies, The Comics, The Ephemera

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Whoops, I just read that Marvel won't release a film in 2009. Guess Ant-man has to wait till 2010.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Nabob wrote: »
    Totally awesome movie, the only complaint I have is I think they went a little over the top with the whole "millionaire playboy" thing at the beginning, it was fine and then that stripper pole rising out of the floor of his private plane just nudged it over the hill.

I hope the Wolverine movie is of this caliber, X3 makes me worry though. But I mean come on, they're putting Deadpool in it so it can't be terrible.

I really wish everyone who thinks X3 was terrible could see all the deleted scenes.

They don't make the movie incredible, but they make it consistent and fix the most major flaws (pacing and plot continuity).

There were scenes that explained where the brotherhood have been since X2, and what they've been doing. There were more scenes that presented and explained the development and production of the cure. There was a scene or two of beast actually doing sciency-things, and some more of him kicking ass. There were a bunch of scenes of altered dialog or extended battles that just made things flow so much better.

But the absolute best was the most radically different ending:
    Wolverine decides that he wants to stay and help continue the X-men, but after all that's happened, he's too shook up to stay. So he leaves, and reverts to his old self, ending up back at the bar from the first film.

A good movie was shot and processed, but it was edited into a broken film.

Where are you getting your information from? I actually know "someone" who worked on the film and actually saw a pre-theatre cut of the film with a different ending and that wasn't what I saw.

Sorry to derail, I'm just curious.

Heh, just on the DVD. When the US DVD came out it was only supposed to have something like 12 deleted scenes, and then they were going to do a special edition later on with twice that many. Instead, there was a production glitch, and about half of the first print of the DVDs had all the deleted scenes.

If you watch them all, most of them are short but would service the pacing of the movie very well. There were two or three alternate endings as well, on all printings of the DVD. The wolverine ending I mentioned is one of them.

HadjiQuest on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Accualt wrote: »
    Marvel this morning released its First Quarter 2008 numbers this morning, and along with them, news that officially, an Iron Man sequel is slated for 2010 along with Thor, and two “Avenger-themed” movies in summer of 2011: Captain America (May) and The Avengers (July).

Oh lord, oooooooh lord. Please, Marvel, please!

Captain America movie all WW2, end it with him frozen in ice.
    The Avengers movie, halfway through it they find Cap.

If there's a Captain America film set entirely in WWII, I'd want it to be shot and processed in a way similar to 300. Just kind of a rustic, washed out feel, so it actually seems like something shot during WWII, and possibly the same kind of heavy action scenes, just as kind of a way to promote Cap's WWII exploits to the legendary/mythic status they achieved later on.

HadjiQuest on
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Zephonate wrote: »

On a related note, imagine Marvel's first buddy movie, starring Ultimate Nick Fury (Samuel L.), and Stan Lee.

Some things in this world are so epic, a man CANNOT think on them without cumming immediately.

I would gladly sell my own kidneys to finance the project if i could walk into a cinema and see a giant cardboard stand for STAN LEE: AGENT OF SHIELD!

It would also add a disturbing level of continuity to all the Marvel movies. Thats why Stan keeps showing up in different places as different people, he's actually a SHIELD agent scouting out super heros.
    Whoops, I just read that Marvel won't release a film in 2009. Guess Ant-man has to wait till 2010.

Ant-man needs to be played by Bruce Campbell. Provided we're talking about the Irredeemable Ant-man, not the boring and annoying yellow suited wife-beater who can't decide on a single bloody name for himself. I find Hank Pym so disinteresting it makes me hate him.
    If there's a Captain America film set entirely in WWII, I'd want it to be shot and processed in a way similar to 300. Just kind of a rustic, washed out feel, so it actually seems like something shot during WWII, and possibly the same kind of heavy action scenes, just as kind of a way to promote Cap's WWII exploits to the legendary/mythic status they achieved later on.

Even if they didn't make a WW2 film about Cap that'd be a really good way to explain the premise. Have the opening reel in the style of a WW2 news-reel about the Super-Solider Program and Cap's role in defeating the Nazi's, wrap that up with something about Captain America being lost and the whole plane thing. From there cut to a shot of SHIELD heli-carrier flying over an arctic ocean with spotlights playing across the water before locating and recovering the block of ice with Captain America inside it. Fade to opening title..... I really really like visualising the way things should be shot in my mind.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited May 2008
    The Ant Man movie is about Hank Pym and Scott Lang apparently, and Bruce Campbell is wrong for both parts.

DJ Eebs on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    People suggest Bruce Campbell for everything, and the only suggestion I ever agree with is Mysterio.

Robos A Go Go on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Ant-Man is supposed to be about both Hank Pym AND Scott Lang. I'd guess we'd get an Eric O'Grady cameo, though.

Also, rumor has it that Simon Pegg is attached in some way.

EDIT: Robos I wanna be the first to say that that is the perfect role for Campbell.
    Like. Literally perfect.
    God I hope he's in spider-man 4. And I stand by my belief that Mysterio should just keep getting in Spidey's way while he fights real villains like Electro or Scorpion.

The Muffin Man on
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The Ant Man movie is about Hank Pym and Scott Lang apparently, and Bruce Campbell is wrong for both parts.

Oh definitely. I just think that Hank Pym is a boring waste of celluloid and that they need a Eric O'Grady Ant-man/Bruce Campbell vehicle. Either Stan Lee or Sean Connery can be Black Fox.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So Apparently the Captain America Movie is Being called "The First Avenger: Captain America.

Devlin_Dragonus on
    I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    working title (it says)

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    thats a working title, probably not final

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I didn't even catch the SHIELD reference until they went to Stark's lab with Pepper. I suddenly went, "Ohhhh!" as I remembered all the "You guys really need to work on that name," jokes.

Movie = great, etc.

Lux on
  • supergpsupergp Registered User new member
    edited May 2008
    Nick Fury needed to announce to Stark that he was tired of these motherfucking snakes on his motherfucking helicarrier.

supergp on
    edited May 2008
    whatever the opposite of that is, that's what he actually needs to do

DJ Eebs on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Eric O'Grady would work 100% better as a television series than as a movie.

Mai-Kero on
    edited May 2008
    but on skinemax so he can look at ladies taking showers!!!

DJ Eebs on
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So the way all these movies are going to intertwine is brilliance, as now Im going to have to see every single one at least once, just out of curiosity.

I still wonder if the whole Hillary Swank Iron Man scence was ever actually shot - as in an interview with Favreau, when asked about
    what may show up on the DVD version, his response was "You want me to say Hillary Swank? Or Sam Jackson?" and than went on to basically say he wants to keep suprises suprises, and its so hard now adays, so no one should start guessing whats on the DVD until they actually see what's in the MOVIE. This was before it actually opened, when the Fury scene was cut for reviewers.

But man, these tie-ins are going to be nuts. All building to Avengers.

We have Fury in Iron Man, asking Iron Man to join the Avengers.
    We'll have Stark in Hulk - my guess is giving advice on how to bring the Hulk down.

Ant-Man? I could guess either Stark or Fury would show up to talk to Hank about his tech.

Iron Man 2 - I'm going to guess somewhere in the movie we get an allusion to the Fury/Stark meeting in the first one, with Tony basically saying he shrugged Fury off, saying come back when you actually HAVE something. My guess is post-credits we'll see Fury telling Stark that they want him to take a look into something...

Thor - Post credits we'll have Thor throwing back some brews in a nice, Viking-esque bar. When someone offers to buy him his next beer, if he'll talk to him. Camera pans over to Stark.

Cap - WW2 movie that ends with him in a block of ice. Post credits we'll have the helicarrier above the ocean with Fury inside, saying he's down there, and Tony and Thor behind him.

Avengers - Yeah.

I am too excited. I someday hope to be some sort of screenplay writer person - and just coming up with how to tie these all together in short, two sentence bursts is pure insanity. There's such a huge pool of charecters to pick from that really, anything could happen at any time.

Please, someone, throw Namor in the Cap movie...than have Namor lead the Avengers to the ice...

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    supergp wrote: »
    Nick Fury needed to announce to Stark that he was tired of these motherfucking snakes on his motherfucking helicarrier.

:arrow::arrow:

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So I guess the Avengers line-up in the movie will be Iron Man, Cap, Thor, Ant-man, and Hulk with maybe Wasp thrown in. They'll either fight aliens or Ultron.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • DredZedDredZed Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Cap - WW2 movie that ends with him in a block of ice. Post credits we'll have the helicarrier above the ocean with Fury inside, saying he's down there, and Tony and Thor behind him.

That is more or less exactly how I've hoped the Captain America movie would wind up since before I knew about all this tying things together. That scene after the credits of Cap, the first part of Avengers leading up to that same moment, and the rest of Avengers following from there would be just perfect.

DredZed on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FiziksFiziks Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    When Obi starts to show his betrayal to Stark, my friend said next to me, "Man, he's being very un-dude right now."

Also, would of been cool if they did a quick boardroom scene where the board says, "WE WANTS ZE MONEY, (LEBOW....) STANE." Realistically however, if they just had Bridges drinking a caucasian, I would have went nuts.

Oh, and if you still haven't seen the movie, and the post-credit scene. Trust me, all of your dicks will be cumming.

Fiziks on
    Cvcwu.jpg
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I just worry because I wonder how nicely Ed Norton would play with Robert Downey, Jr.

And that doesn't go for just those 2 - the bigger these movies get, the bigger the names that will get attached, and when you have Norton and Downey, and than Favereau and Vaughan (Iron Man and Thor) - who gets priority? Whos going to actually direct? Will Downey work with someone who isn't Favs?

I just hope these contracts have all that thought out...

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Again I say, the Cap movie will be incomplete without a scene where he punches Hitler out. I demand that this be in the movie.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So I can't say enough good things about the movie, it was just amazing and I loved just about everything in it. I went and saw it with a few friends and my dad, he really enjoyed it and he is not even remotely aware of any Iron Man stuff outside of what I've told him prior to the release. Anyway I loved the movie

smokmnky on
  • The Ragin' CanadianThe Ragin' Canadian Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I know I'm a bit late... as I saw this movie on friday, but had to work free Comicbook day at the store I work for... and completely forgot to be a part of the nerdgasm on this site.

But yeah, Iron Man was glorious; I have a hard time believing The Dark Knight will top this film in terms of quality. But did anyone else think it was weird
    having children in the theatre during the flight to Afghanistan scene, and when the 10 rings were raiding that village? My buddy literally turned to me and whispered, "There's babies and 6 year olds in the theatre right now... fucking babies."
    Just felt a little awkward, tis all. Especially with all the guys in the theatre laughing their heads off when that pole came up.

The Ragin' Canadian on
    " You can't say that, you're crazy!"

" No, I'm eccentric... only poor people are called crazy."
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Not at all, it was far more tame than what you'd see on the nightyl news or even most sitcoms. No blood at all, well short of the guys burnt head, and the ladies only showed midriff. Hell their skirts were even of a rather modest length.
    Please, someone, throw Namor in the Cap movie...than have Namor lead the Avengers to the ice...
    I'm actually kind of surprised Marvel isn't moving to make a Namor movie. I love the character and I think it could make for an absolutely amazing movie. The origin story part can almost entirely be skipped over, unlike most of these movies, because olol lost city of Atlantis prince half man guy.

Not to mention pollution is a hot topic right now. Hell they'll get free publicity simply from "news" shows arguing if the movie is trying to shame America into recycling or something stupid like that.

I'd love it if he showed up in Captain America but he kind deserves his own movie, not to mention I think that would make the movie overly convoluted. Obviously he won't get a movie before Cap. At the very least they could have the Nazis, or someone, make a reference to hunting for the lost city of Atlantis.

I want a Namor movie. :(

Accualt on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'll settle for a Namor cameo. I think there is an aquaman social taboo out there still.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Whom could you possibly cast to play Namor?

Robos A Go Go on
  • GoodCitizenGoodCitizen Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So... best Stan Lee cameo of all time?

GoodCitizen on
    Benjamin Franklin used foil covered window glass to create a capacitor. He then attempted to kill a turkey with the stored charge. Instead, he knocked himself out. Franklin later wrote, "I tried to kill a turkey but nearly succeeded in killing a goose."
  • LynxLynx Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    But man, these tie-ins are going to be nuts. All building to Avengers.

We have Fury in Iron Man, asking Iron Man to join the Avengers.
    We'll have Stark in Hulk - my guess is giving advice on how to bring the Hulk down.

Ant-Man? I could guess either Stark or Fury would show up to talk to Hank about his tech.

Iron Man 2 - I'm going to guess somewhere in the movie we get an allusion to the Fury/Stark meeting in the first one, with Tony basically saying he shrugged Fury off, saying come back when you actually HAVE something. My guess is post-credits we'll see Fury telling Stark that they want him to take a look into something...

Thor - Post credits we'll have Thor throwing back some brews in a nice, Viking-esque bar. When someone offers to buy him his next beer, if he'll talk to him. Camera pans over to Stark.

Avengers - Yeah.

Two of those are already set in stone.

The Incredible Hulk -
    Stark shows up during the credits, so I'm assuming he's the one to recruit Banner for The Avengers.

Iron Man 2 -
    Thor is going to be introduced at the end of the movie, leading into his own movie two months later.
    mxmarks wrote:
    I just worry because I wonder how nicely Ed Norton would play with Robert Downey, Jr.

And that doesn't go for just those 2 - the bigger these movies get, the bigger the names that will get attached, and when you have Norton and Downey, and than Favereau and Vaughan (Iron Man and Thor) - who gets priority? Whos going to actually direct? Will Downey work with someone who isn't Favs?

I just hope these contracts have all that thought out...

Last I heard, Favreau wanted to direct The Avengers movie. So, it shouldn't be a problem. As for Norton and Downey Jr. playing nice together, I don't see why not. They're stars, but they've both played supporting roles before. Plus, in The Avengers, there really isn't a staring role. Cap, Thor, Iron Man, Hulk and Fury are all going to be top billing. Only Ant-Man/Giant Man and The Wasp would really be supporting, if they even appear.

Lynx on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    i think the avengers movie is the perfect place to introduce hawkeye, incidentally.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Servo wrote: »
    i think the avengers movie is the perfect place to introduce hawkeye, incidentally.

The bow and arrow thing might be a bit corny. They'd have to go down the Ultimates 1/2 path, compound bow, etc. No purple mask for j00!

Now that I think of it, Jessica Biel had a bow and arrow and made it look badass in Blade Trinity.

devoir on
  • The Ragin' CanadianThe Ragin' Canadian Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    devoir wrote: »
    Now that I think of it, Jessica Biel had a bow and arrow and made it look badass in Blade Trinity.
    Can we never mention that movie ever again?

And as much as I like Biel as eye candy, I prefer to not see her in serious roles. I don't "buy it" one bit.

The Ragin' Canadian on
    " You can't say that, you're crazy!"

" No, I'm eccentric... only poor people are called crazy."
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So apparently this is what happens during the credits of Hulk
    General Ross is sitting in a bar, and Tony Stark comes over and sits next to him, and says "So I hear you're having a bit of a Hulk problem.

Mai-Kero on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    well, that would be actually about as awesome as the iron man one, but in a different way!

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    It's that "Let me talk to you about something" thing
    Enough is implied to make you go "Shit yes" without giving too much away

Me Too! on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Whom could you possibly cast to play Namor?

Adrian Grenier since he played Aquaman fictitiously.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • ZombieAsumaZombieAsuma Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Well except for the whole part where Adrian Grenier is one of the worst actors I've ever seen. Like Paul Walker-bad. Plus Entourage was a horrid show.

ZombieAsuma on
  • devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    devoir wrote: »
    Can we never mention that movie ever again?

And as much as I like Biel as eye candy, I prefer to not see her in serious roles. I don't "buy it" one bit.

I dunno. Blade Trinity was pretty cool. Didn't you see all those wrestling moves?
    Blade Trinity

devoir on
  • ZombieAsumaZombieAsuma Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    That bow that Abigail Whistler used was prolly the most hi-tech bow I've ever seen. Although collapsible weaponry is the best weaponry.

ZombieAsuma on