As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Invincible Iron Thread: The Movies, The Comics, The Ephemera

• Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Also in Blade 3 Ryan Reynolds calls someone a cock-juggling thundercunt.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    Shit yes he did
    That was choice

Me Too! on
  • Options
    ZombieAsumaZombieAsuma Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Its pretty funny if you listen to the commentary track for the movie Ryan Reynolds talks about how much he HATES his introduction line in the movie when he crashes through the two-way glass. Its pretty funny. Shit, somehow the Iron Man movie thread turned into Blade 3.....oops. Umm....IRON MAN MADE $201 MILLION WORLDWIDE!!

ZombieAsuma on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited May 2008
    mxmarks wrote: »
    I still wonder if the whole Hillary Swank Iron Man scence was ever actually shot

Favreau said that he put out a false rumor about Swank being in the movie to throw off people chasing down spoilers.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Plus Entourage was a horrid show.

It still airs and it is fantastic.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZombieAsumaZombieAsuma Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Someone forced the first two season sets upon me and I didn't make it through the first one. I don't have HBO on my cable package so I just assumed that surely that show couldn't have lasted longer than two seasons. Apparently I was wrong. So, do you guys think Iron Man can hold off Speed Racer and take #1 two weeks in a row? I've seen all the Speed Racer trailers and still don't really have an opinion on it.

ZombieAsuma on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Speed Racer hasn't had much of a marketing blitz like Iron Man, so it will probably take second

But I will totally see it

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It doesn't interest me. These things tend to fall into three categories for me; see at the movies, maybe see it on DVD rental/at a friend's place/if I get free tickets, don't bother.

Speed Racer is firmly in the middle category, and I'm quite a voracious attendee of the local cinema.

devoir on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Devoir go see it. It is amazing.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Oh man have you seen it?

Is it as good as it looks? How many ninja fights are there? How many asses does Racer X kick? Is there lots of surf music? And what about the midair car punches?

I need to know

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Is it wrong of me to hope they skip the regular ant man and jump straight into Irredemable Ant Man with Simon Pegg as him (forget the characters name). Would be totally awesome with all these big super hero movies comming out to have a guy steal the ant man suit from Pym and use it to spy on chicks in the shower.

A man can dream...

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

he's talking about Speed Racer, not Iron Man

Diablo Fett on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Olivaw wrote: »

Oh man have you seen it?

Is it as good as it looks? How many ninja fights are there? How many asses does Racer X kick? Is there lots of surf music? And what about the midair car punches?

I need to know

Man Fuck Speed Racer. I'm talking about Iron Man.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Oh man have you seen it?

I need to know

Oh I'm sorry, for a second I thought you were cool

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So, I think this is definitely way above Spider-Man 1, 2 and X-Men. Probably equal to Batman Begins as "best superhero movie," though they are both very different flavors that are delicious for different tastes.

Lux on
  • Options
    McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I think that it was better than Begins because it didn't have anything dragging it down (choppy fight scenes, Katie Holmes). Dark Knight will probably blow it out of the water, though. So far, I think it's best comic book movie.

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I thought the characters were all great in Begins. Everyone from Lucius to Alfred to Falcone all had compelling personalities or stories behind them. The only character of that caliber was Tony Stark, everyone else felt kind of plain. Pepper maybe, but she didn't seem to get very many opportunities to express it. It was great in the way the best blockbuster action movies are great.

Lux on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    This is why I firmly do not believe in comparing these two movies. It's like comparing Die Hard to... man... the Untouchables. You can enjoy both movies a lot, but they're really quite different.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Oh man have you seen it?

I need to know

This has me in tears. The Muffin Man wins the "Make Devoir laugh out loud in the office" award for today.

devoir on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

You can tell by the very fact that he said "it is amazing". I mean, how could he be talking about Speed Racer at that point?
    I kid, I kid! =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    edited May 2008

You can tell by the very fact that he said "it is amazing". I mean, how could he be talking about Speed Racer at that point?
    I kid, I kid! =)

I will crush your skull in my bare hands
    well I guess I haven't seen it yet, but I can't imagine it not being good

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    McCly wrote: »
    I think that it was better than Begins because it didn't have anything dragging it down (choppy fight scenes, Katie Holmes). Dark Knight will probably blow it out of the water, though. So far, I think it's best comic book movie.

so you are pretty much saying the dark knight trailers are better than the entire movie of Iron Man?

or am i reading it wrong, and you think iron man is the best comic book movie so far?

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Nogs wrote: »
    McCly wrote: »

so you are pretty much saying the dark knight trailers are better than the entire movie of Iron Man?

or am i reading it wrong, and you think iron man is the best comic book movie so far?

"So far, I think it's best comic book movie." was for Iron Man. (sorry, 3 am, tired, etc.)

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    The amount of confusion in this thread is hilarious.

devoir on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Saw it today. Holy shit, "10% power" backflip into the wall is one of my favorite scenes ever.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    That was pretty fantastic. I'm glad they didn't succumb to the urge to put that in the trailer, because that was perfect trailer material but then I wouldn't have gotten to crack up over it at the movies :)

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    FallingmanFallingman Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I really enjoyed this. I agree with the previous statement that the best thing about it was that you weren't just sitting there waiting for the action... The Stark bits were just as entertaining.

Fallingman on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    devoir on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    If any of those things happen in Iron Man 2, it will be a guaranteed success.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Bringing in Hawkeye or Black Widow would be cool but Thor coming to help Iron Man?

I think it would take a lot of the wind out of Iron Man's sails to have Thor show up and absolutely wreak shit. I mean, if you are true to Thor he's going to pound the bejesus out of whatever challenged Tony.

Accualt on
  • Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    devoir wrote: »
    Fin Fang Fuck Yes.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Thoughts on Iron Man II's potential plot and spoilers.
    With the upcoming mini-series, Iron Man: Viva Las Vegas, coming out soon, it's kind of funny that they want to do Fin Fang Foom in the second movie. Viva Las Vegas, for those unaware, is the pseudo movie tie-in that Favreau's writing and Adi Granov's illustrating, featuring Iron Man doing battle with Fin Fang Foom. When discussing the comic in interviews, Favreau said that it had to be done as a comic, because it'd be far too expensive to ever do as film.

Guess Iron Man really exceeded box office expectations.

Munch on
  • Options
    smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    143999 wrote: »
    Fin Fang Fuck Yes.

I'm sorry I just can't see the idea of a giant extraterrestrial dragon playing well in movie form. Don't get me wrong I like Fin Fang Foom but as a movie villain I just don't think it would work for non-comic audiences.

smokmnky on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Well if they're also going to include
    Thor, then that'd be a nice way to tie in Fin Fang Foom. Maybe the Mandarin finds a way to access Asgard's resources and pulls Fin Fang Foom from there as a giant biological WMD. Prompting Thor to travel to Earth so he can return Foom to Asgard.

Now I don't really think a bunch of magic hoodoo belongs in an Iron Man movie, but if they're introducing Thor, I'm pretty sure they won't shirk from magical alien rings of power or interdimensional space dragons.

Munch on
  • Options
    RuinsRuins Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    smokmnky wrote: »
    143999 wrote: »
    Fin Fang Fuck Yes.

I'm sorry I just can't see the idea of a giant extraterrestrial dragon playing well in movie form. Don't get me wrong I like Fin Fang Foom but as a movie villain I just don't think it would work for non-comic audiences.
    Who cares? Comic readers have been getting the shaft on cool movies portraying their favorite characters for years.

Ruins on
    ach.png
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm pretty sure the everyone involved cares about possibly alienating the majority of the non-comics fans who loved the first movie and contributed to its 100 million dollar + opening weekend

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Munch wrote: »
    Thor, then that'd be a nice way to tie in Fin Fang Foom. Maybe the Mandarin finds a way to access Asgard's resources and pulls Fin Fang Foom from there as a giant biological WMD. Prompting Thor to travel to Earth so he can return Foom to Asgard.

Now I don't really think a bunch of magic hoodoo belongs in an Iron Man movie, but if they're introducing Thor, I'm pretty sure they won't shirk from magical alien rings of power or interdimensional space dragons.

Fin Fang Foom isn't actually the Midgard Serpent: rather, the Midgard Serpet once pretended to be Fin Fang Foom.

The Midgard Serpent, like all of the Norse creatures, are literal magical beings (although often different from how our classical fictional mythology portrayed them). Fin Fang Foom, on the other hand, is a straightforward alien born of science (the same way Mandarin's rings are just the engine rings of a ship belonging to one of Foom's peers).

Now, as a separate matter: seriously, does anyone actually think people wouldn't "buy" Fin Fang Foom? You want a good way to buy it? Stick straight to the comics. It's an alien. You alter the story a little bit - Mandarin has been intentionally keeping Foom in stasis while he coopted the power of the rings, etc. - but you don't acknowledge the absurdity. After all, is Fin Fang Foom any more odd than the CLOVERFIELD monster?

mattharvest on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    With FFF and Smaug these next years will be great for the Dragon mythos.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Munch wrote: »

Fin Fang Foom isn't actually the Midgard Serpent: rather, the Midgard Serpet once pretended to be Fin Fang Foom.

The Midgard Serpent, like all of the Norse creatures, are literal magical beings (although often different from how our classical fictional mythology portrayed them). Fin Fang Foom, on the other hand, is a straightforward alien born of science (the same way Mandarin's rings are just the engine rings of a ship belonging to one of Foom's peers).

Now, as a separate matter: seriously, does anyone actually think people wouldn't "buy" Fin Fang Foom? You want a good way to buy it? Stick straight to the comics. It's an alien. You alter the story a little bit - Mandarin has been intentionally keeping Foom in stasis while he coopted the power of the rings, etc. - but you don't acknowledge the absurdity. After all, is Fin Fang Foom any more odd than the CLOVERFIELD monster?

purple shorts

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Foom's a nudist, these days.

Fin_Fang_Foom_002.jpg

No pants!

Robos A Go Go on