As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hotels on PAX page full - help?

zombiebotzombiebot Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in PAX Archive
So my bf and I procrastinated, and it looks like all the hotels on the discount rate page are full. Oops.

I remember last year folks staying at the Red Lion, but are there any other hotels to check out? I don't think we wanna spend a ton, since we're probably staying four nights. (8-28/9-1)

Help?

Chelseabot, fell victim Quake III, aka "Girl Killer" in 2007.
zombiebot on

• Options
    Darkblade_1Darkblade_1 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    http://www.greentortoise.net/

Try the green tortoise, its a youth hostel down on pike street, its about 6 or 7 blocks from the convention center. Not a bad little walk in the morning and its a down hill walk on the way back at night.

It's cheap, and it's clean. I stayed here last year.

Darkblade_1 on
    iveseenvivstits.gif
    You're drawn to my eccentric Brawl Code: 4596 9143 4529
  • Options
    nearlysobernearlysober Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    If a hostel isn't your thing, then the closest cheap hotel to the convention center is probably going to be the Sixth Avenue Inn: www.sixthavenueinn.com

It'll run ya an average of $139.00 per night for the room, and its about 6 blocks (about half a mile) or so away from the Convention Center so its definately walkable.

Alternatively, you can try waiting it out to see if the PA crew can open up anymore rooms for the convetion. If you're worried about prices going up and nothing getting better, you can reserve a room at most hotels without any fees or charges as long as you cancel in enough time (make sure read each hotels policy before doing this! also sites like expedia dont give full refunds). So you could put something on hold now incase nothing better comes around.

nearlysober on
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    what dates are you trying to book at the hotel?

The most rooms in the block are set aside for the actual PAX days (friday/sat).

Edit:
    I just put the PAX dates into all the hotels on the page and got a room. You might have to look elsewhere if you want a long stay thats outside the days of PAX.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    BigRed wrote: »

Edit:
    I just put the PAX dates into all the hotels on the page and got a room. You might have to look elsewhere if you want a long stay thats outside the days of PAX.

Most hotels give discounts for the two days before and after, since I booked on those dates before and didn't have a problem. Maybe I should call them and see what I can wrangle. I know we'll be staying Thursday night (8-28) and probably to Monday morning (9-1), since it's a holiday.

That is helpful info though.

zombiebot on
  • Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    BigRed wrote: »

Edit:

I ran into the same problem today. I wanted August 27 through September 1 and I was out of luck with the PAX hotels. I then got a room at the hotel I did last year. Executive Hotel Pacific. My average daily rate was $155.70. It is a short and pleasant walk (8 minutes) to the convention center.

http://www.executivehotels.net/seattle/

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • Options
    Riggz13Riggz13 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    mentok1982 wrote: »
    I ran into the same problem today. I wanted August 27 through September 1 and I was out of luck with the PAX hotels. I then got a room at the hotel I did last year. Executive Hotel Pacific. My average daily rate was $155.70. It is a short and pleasant walk (8 minutes) to the convention center.

How was that hotel? I nearly booked us a room there but a lot of people on TripAdvisor seemed to really hate it.

As for the PAX hotels, I know last year they opened up 3 or 4 more after the first batch got filled, we ended up at The Paramount for a reasonable price. It's a gamble if you want to wait and hope they do that again this year though.

Riggz13 on
  • Options
    b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Calling hotels directly can also often help, because online applications are usually pretty craptastic.

b0wser on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    b0wser wrote: »
    Calling hotels directly can also often help, because online applications are usually pretty craptastic.

Yeah, I called the Sheraton and found a cheaper rate. It's still kind of costly though ($239 a night).

zombiebot on
  • Options
    MR.TMR.T Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    You should definately call the hotels. I'm at the Crowne Plaza and it showed no rooms available when I tried to book online. I got the Pax rate for the 28th through the 1st by just calling and being polite. I used to work in hotels and the on-site reservations people have a lot more leeway than the online system. I know that us online folks try to avoid offline communication but we can manage! ;)

MR.T on
  • Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Riggz13 wrote: »
    mentok1982 wrote: »

How was that hotel? I nearly booked us a room there but a lot of people on TripAdvisor seemed to really hate it.

As for the PAX hotels, I know last year they opened up 3 or 4 more after the first batch got filled, we ended up at The Paramount for a reasonable price. It's a gamble if you want to wait and hope they do that again this year though.

I really dig it. The staff is super cool, especially the young dudes who are at the desk late at night. Last year they had free WiFi and I was told that they were going to implement a pay system for their WiFi, but I would not be surprised if it is still free this year. Even if WiFI is not free, they have two desktops for guests to use in the lobby area.

The rooms are nice but I would describe the bathroom I had as compact. I had to shut the door if I wanted to sit on the toilet. All the rooms have 26 inch LCD TVs and I enjoyed their on demand service.

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • Options
    Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited May 2008
    Just as a heads up guys - we are working on getting more hotel rooms for you guys.

Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
  • Options
    TransparentTransparent Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    http://pax.wikidot.com/hotels

I don't have website links yet, but there are prices and distances, you can google a hotel you're interested in.

EDIT: The map has links, the list doesn't.

Transparent on
    PAXtrain '10, let's do this!
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Just as a heads up guys - we are working on getting more hotel rooms for you guys.

Khoo speaketh. Thanks a lot, man!

Edit: MR. T is a genius. I called Crowne Plaza and got a room at the PAX rate!

zombiebot on
  • Options
    Robert KhooRobert Khoo Registered User, ClubPA staff
    edited May 2008
    Robert Khoo on
    Some guy.
This discussion has been closed.