As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The British are coming....again

• Options
    nopantsjacknopantsjack Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm going with firegauntlets and it would be good to meet up with some fellow brits among the surely endless colonials.

nopantsjack on
  • Options
    RomulasRomulas Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    lol, its interesting to see how many brits will attend this year, the count has sloooowly risen since the first pax.

Romulas on
  • Options
    Isca2000Isca2000 Registered User new member
    edited March 2008
    Add two more brits to the count. We are living in LA now but will be up for any PAX related pub crawls/meet ups during the event. We will also be manning a booth at the show, so come stop by the Meteor Games booth and check out what we are doing :)

Isca2000 on
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Wahey - more LA-dwelling Brits! I'm not alone!

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    sweet jeebus this will be fun...

Romulas on
  • Options
    kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    OK I have just booked my return flight to Seattle for the 28th and I arrive at around 4pm Seattle time. I also got some travel insurance just to be safe and checked my passport is still valid, which it is.

If any of you are worried about requiring a visa to gain entry to the US they do operate a Visa Waiver system for people from 'Jolly Old England' as they describe the whole of the UK. The link below will take you to a guide on what's required to gain access to the us without a formal visa:

Visa Waiver Check Wizard

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    FiregauntletsFiregauntlets Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Hey guys, just an update on my travel options. In the end my friends dad is paying for it and im paying him back over time, so wooptata :D.
    Secondly hes booking all flights etc and from what i can tell a company called 'eastern airlines',( or something similar, ill update when i know the exact site), is the cheapest. Around £500 return but its similar in a lot of places.
    Also, im planning to get a couple of TShirts with my gamertag on 'Crimson' or 'ColdBlooded: Crimson' im gonna be goin for :P and my friend NPJ (NoPantsJack) is gonna be doin the same ^^, he actually got the name out of the penny arcade about gabe being the king of no pants but i digress :P, im also gonna get a union jack on my top to show all these americans who the badass UK gamers are :D, is it easy to recognise the Uk people? if not, anyone else up for doing the same :D?

Firegauntlets on
  • Options
    ArachnamusArachnamus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    A couple of us posted in the Aussie thread, nice we have our own.

Main options seem to be:

1. Fly direct
    2. Fly to LA (or nearby) and grab the WCTT.
    3. Fly to NYC or Chicago (or similar), hire a car and join the CCST.

1 is obviously your easiest option, but you'll not have a handy pack of nerd friends premade on PAX arrival. 3 would be fun but possibly a bit pricy, and I don't fancy driving for 36 hours straight. 2 is the option I'm probably going to take, plus a few other stop-offs to make a fortnight of it. Delta already owe me $300 of internal flights I need to use up by September. Any of this syncs up with you guys, I'd be glad to share a flight with fellow crumpeteers.

Arachnamus on
  • Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Hmm... Didn't see this thread. I will be in attendance at this years PAX too. Flying to LAX first though before I hit up Seattle.

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    im in the US now guys, ill keep posting info on the party as i work it all out.

Romulas on
  • Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Me and LewieP are coming! Can't wait.

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Me and LewiePs Mummy are coming! Can't wait!!!!!!

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    minor update.... still working on a venue but ive recruited friends into helping me so its a ste in the right direction.

Romulas on
  • Options
    Willeh DeeWilleh Dee Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm coming, only im staying with a guy in Florida for a week before hand and hopefully a couple of days afterwards, so ill be coming from Florida. Man this is guna be a pricey trip.

Willeh Dee on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    sweet stuff, we may have found a place to host the party but its in limbo at the moment so dont get too excited just yet....

Romulas on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    /excited.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    very. i'm polishing my tiara.

LewieP's Mummy on

• Options
    edited April 2008
    well, now how many people do you think will attend, im trying to figure out space issues.

Romulas on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Me and LewieP make 2!

LewieP's Mummy on

• Options
    edited April 2008
    The internet is a small world. I wouldn't expect more than say 30 people.

BTW, kropotkin, are you the same guy from the OLL irc chat?

I am the same LewieP. Although you seem to just lurk here.

LewieP on
  • Options
    JonmanJonman Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm so English, I make tea look positively French.

I also live about 4 miles from downtown Seattle, so my journey to PAX will be sufficiently less tiresome than the rest of my countrymen.

Of course, this means that you have a local source of knowledge that appreciates the finer points of travelling as an Englishman. You know, the best gutters to puke in, which bars you'll find American chicks that go weak at the knees at your accent (hint - most of them), the few shops that sell proper tea, that kind of thing.

Jonman on
    yadda yadda humerous yadda
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    m8 they sell tetley in qfc.... but good maybe you and i can coordinate this

Romulas on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Tetley?

Ha!

I'm sorry

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    hey man i like tetley

Romulas on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    YuK, Tetley is tea leaf sweepings poured into bags!!!

Earl Grey / Lady Grey is the way to go (as she sits, sipping a freshly brewed Lady Grey - heaven in a cup)

LewieP's Mummy on

• Options
    edited April 2008
    Romulas wrote: »
    hey man i like tetley

:P

LewieP on
  • Options
    Sleepy OneSleepy One Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    East Stains Massive! (actually Americans + townies = bad news)

If any of you Brits are old daocers, I'll buy ya a drink :) Hibby excalibur ftw!

Sleepy One on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    north london here m8 t

Romulas on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Us 2 are Mancs (well, I'm really from West Cumbria, but I've lived in Manchester since I was 10, Lewie was born here)

LewieP's Mummy on

• Options
    edited May 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    The internet is a small world. I wouldn't expect more than say 30 people.

BTW, kropotkin, are you the same guy from the OLL irc chat?

I am the same LewieP. Although you seem to just lurk here.

You are indeed correct in saying I am Kropotkin from OLL chat. As for lurking here in PA Forums yes I do tend to as my main haunt is Allgames.com.

As for food supplies which I've been thinking about would any folks advice to take any of the following:

1) PG Tips/Tetly tea bags as tea in the US tastes like gnat's pee.

2) A small box of Quality Street

3) Marmite/Bovril which ever suits your pallette.

4) Walkers Crisps

5) A packet of McVities Hob Nobs

Any other foodstuff advice would be appreciated

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Hey now, not all tea in the states is nasty. You just need to know where to look. ;)

If you've got a sweet tooth and can't go the week without some chocolate, please bring cadbury or better over. The majority of chocolate bars here taste like wax compared to your stuff.

If you're aussie, bring musk sticks to share. :D

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I'm definitely bringing chocolate - fair trade 70% bitter - and Lady Grey tea, and some chivers thick cut marmalade, mmmmm

LewieP's Mummy on

• Options
    edited June 2008
    kropotkin wrote: »
    for those of you who live in or around london, we should meet up for a pint before i go stateside on the 12th...

Sounds like a good idea. There should be some kind of collective who are heading to PAX from The Big Smoke AKA London or indeed the UK in general. Lets try to maintain an active thread here and organise something closer to the time.

Holy almost dead thread batman! How or why did this come back into the fray? Well time is moving on and we citizens of the British Emprie (that consists of Great Britain and a small island off of the coast of Argentina) still need to make our plans for meeting up prior to heading to PAX 08.

Romulus stated he wished to meet up prior to him leaving for the US on 12 March but that date has long since passed so it looks like we'll have to organise something without him seeing as he is now in the colonies.

I recommend we try the bank-holiday weekend which is on 23-24 August. This however may be difficult for those going to Reading/Leeds festival so we could move it to the weekend before.

Possible venues are as follows:

1) Hyde Park or Regents Park - 12pm onwards -> Could mix it up with some games of Ultimate Frisbee or something.

2) Pub somewhere in the London West End, Pitcher & Piano in Charing Cross is reasonably large and easy to get to.

3) Omega Sector in Birmingham - LAN and console game set up located in the centre of the England.

My vote goes to no. 1 as it will probably be quite hot and getting some Vitimin D will do us all some good.

Thoughts and opinions then please raise them in this thread. The sooner we agree on where and when the easier this meet up will be. I'm also going to put some pics up of the meet up prior to leaving for PAX just to let all other Brits attending the show who to look out for when we are all there.

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    edited June 2008
    Birmingham - half way between us and the smoke, and Lewie so wants to go there. I could go to Selfridges and shop while you boys play games! then find a pub for later.

LewieP's Mummy on

• Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Would you stop by and say hello LewiePs Mummy?

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Most definitely! but I won't be wearing my tiara, I'm saving that for PAX. I will also drink beer in the pub.

LewieP's Mummy on

• Options
    edited June 2008
    for those of you who live in or around london, we should meet up for a pint before i go stateside on the 12th...

Sounds like a good idea. There should be some kind of collective who are heading to PAX from The Big Smoke AKA London or indeed the UK in general. Lets try to maintain an active thread here and organise something closer to the time.

Holy almost dead thread batman! How or why did this come back into the fray? Well time is moving on and we citizens of the British Emprie (that consists of Great Britain and a small island off of the coast of Argentina) still need to make our plans for meeting up prior to heading to PAX 08.

Romulus stated he wished to meet up prior to him leaving for the US on 12 March but that date has long since passed so it looks like we'll have to organise something without him seeing as he is now in the colonies.

I recommend we try the bank-holiday weekend which is on 23-24 August. This however may be difficult for those going to Reading/Leeds festival so we could move it to the weekend before.

Possible venues are as follows:

1) Hyde Park or Regents Park - 12pm onwards -> Could mix it up with some games of Ultimate Frisbee or something.

2) Pub somewhere in the London West End, Pitcher & Piano in Charing Cross is reasonably large and easy to get to.

3) Omega Sector in Birmingham - LAN and console game set up located in the centre of the England.

My vote goes to no. 1 as it will probably be quite hot and getting some Vitimin D will do us all some good.

Thoughts and opinions then please raise them in this thread. The sooner we agree on where and when the easier this meet up will be. I'm also going to put some pics up of the meet up prior to leaving for PAX just to let all other Brits attending the show who to look out for when we are all there.

totally missing england but i hope you guys work this thing on out

Romulas on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    So, a couple of people in the UK bargains thread are interested. Me and Lewie would really like to make this thing happen, and want to suggest Birmingham, either the last Saturday in July or the first Saturday in August. I'm happy to sort out anything that needs sorting (I have soooo much time on my well, I'd like to say hands, but 1 is still broken, so hand), like directions, train times/routes for people, where we meet, lunch and pub/bar, but don't want anyone to think I'm trying to take over. I'm just bored and have died in the D&D Phalla.

So, I've now checked out the omega sektor, it looks fun, and noobs get free lessons! And if you become a member (for free) you get 1 hours gaming free (normally £3) on your first visit. Its a short walk from Birmingham New Street station, so would be very easy to get to. It also has bars and cafes, but i can't find out prices.

Let me know what you think, post in this thread please.

LewieP's Mummy on

• Options
    edited June 2008
    OK we have a clear winner in Omega Sektor in Brummie land. Personally I would have gone for Hyde Park but the Midlands it is.

This may even warrant a new thread in of itself. In the mean time check out the funky logo I made for it:

PAX08_UK_Gathering.jpg

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    edited June 2008
    Top logo! Can you change the date please, to 26th july, and I'll put it in the thread, and maybe make a sign/banner for when we all meet up! (we have our younger foster children for the weekend 1st - 3rd August, so i couldn't come then.)

LewieP's Mummy on

This discussion has been closed.