Vanilla Forums has been nominated for a second time in the CMS Critic "Critic's Choice" awards, and we need your vote! Read more here, and then do the thing (please).
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Did anyone see those cosplay chicks?

2456

Posts

  • DrasiirDrasiir Registered User
    edited August 2004
    Borfase wrote:
    PS: though while i agree with you, that last comment there was a little...harsh

    It was supposed to be taken lightly. I probably should have added a :P or something.

  • Valkyrie FDValkyrie FD Registered User
    edited August 2004
    lol, you are basically saying a girl cant powder her nose while playing a game...... we are still girls and we arent going to change that. Hate to break it to ya but most girls powder their noses when they need it!

    Not to mention the Frag Dolls came there not to entertain but to play in the tourny and win it, and that is exactly what we did, whether you "get it" or not.

    It is not that you aren't entitled to your opinion, you most certainly are! I just feel you are being a little too agressive in your attacks on us as well as taking away the pride we feel as a team in what we have accomplished. We are pumped LIKE ANY TEAM, male or female, that we came, we conquored, and we left. Can we please just leave it at that?


    Nightingale, hopefully we can hang out more next year and if you get on XBOX LIVE every you could come play with us as well!

    FD_sig_Valkyrie.jpg
  • DrasiirDrasiir Registered User
    edited August 2004
    Athene FD wrote:
    lol, you are basically saying a girl cant powder her nose while playing a game...... we are still girls and we arent going to change that. Hat to break it to ya but most girls powder their noses when they need it!


    Nightingale, hopefully we can hang out more next year and if you get on XBOX LIVE every you could come play with us as well!

    I don't recall saying that actually. I do recall saying that what they did appeared to be for one reason only: proving a point that doesn't need to be proven.

    It doesn't seem like you read what I wrote, but, then again, it probably wouldn't matter.

  • TheMountieTheMountie Registered User
    edited August 2004
    maybe she was powdering her nose :roll:
    i thought the girls kicking ass was a great thing, how many other girls won tournies at PAX?

    just shows me that girls are just as good at games than anyone else.
    if they want to rub it in peoples faces, whether they meant to or not, i dont see a problem. Just another way of shit talking without actually saying, I won, you lost, boobs rule over dicks.

    Dear PAX, next year may i have an enforcer shirt instead of just a staff badge. Love, Tyler.
  • SuperFlyTNTSuperFlyTNT Registered User
    edited August 2004
    Who were you? Link me.

    You can see me here with some of the guys from red vs. blue. I have other pictures in that folder too of friends and people I ran across.

    OK I saw you there. Nice costume by the way, I thought you were someone else though as I never play DOA3.

    *walks over to SuperFly with a baseball bat*

    *WHACK WHACK WHACK WHACK WHACK WHACK WHACK*

    *walks away, leaving SuperFly in a beaten, bloody mess on the floor*

    Anyone who hasn't played DOA3 is an idiot.

    *walks out of the Thread*

    I think you play to many violent video games... :P

    "Contact with alien races always renews one's faith in humanity. It is my belief that foreign travel narrows the mind wonderfully"
    -Helem Boesch-
  • SuperFlyTNTSuperFlyTNT Registered User
    edited August 2004
    Athene FD wrote:
    lol, you are basically saying a girl cant powder her nose while playing a game...... we are still girls and we arent going to change that. Hate to break it to ya but most girls powder their noses when they need it!

    Not to mention the Frag Dolls came there not to entertain but to play in the tourny and win it, and that is exactly what we did, whether you "get it" or not.

    It is not that you aren't entitled to your opinion, you most certainly are! I just feel you are being a little too agressive in your attacks on us as well as taking away the pride we feel as a team in what we have accomplished. We are pumped LIKE ANY TEAM, male or female, that we can, we conquored, and we left. Can we please just leave it at that?


    Nightingale, hopefully we can hang out more next year and if you get on XBOX LIVE every you could come play with us as well!

    I enjoyed watching Red Machine D talk to you guys. I was standing right there smoking with my buddy and he came up in a cape and starting talking to you. I thought you were in one of the bands at first, but the whole idea of grrl gamers, being promoted to play video games is way cooler.

    "Contact with alien races always renews one's faith in humanity. It is my belief that foreign travel narrows the mind wonderfully"
    -Helem Boesch-
  • JinxJinx Registered User
    edited August 2004
    Well, to be perfectly honest, I for one *was* concerned about my appearance. I get really jittery around cameras because every picture of me comes out looking totally stoned (i.e. the one up on our blog). While I'm not some supermodel, I would like to look as good as possible if someone's flashing around a picture of me. Maybe it's a global girl thing, maybe it's not, but it is a self-consciousness. I don't think it's somehow shameful to us as female gamers to try to look nice as well, and you at least can't complain that we lacked in our hygiene. <g>

    The Guitar Zeros << My friend's rad band that everyone should <3
    linkstick.gif
  • Valkyrie FDValkyrie FD Registered User
    edited August 2004
    Alright, this will be the last time I attempt to rationalize. We worked 14 hours the first day and 12 the next and spent the entire time (minus a short lunch break) playing the games. I am sorry you found it insulting, annoying, gimmicky, or however you took it that sometimes we felt sweaty and had to powder our nose- yes girls sweat!

    It was never intended to point to the fact we are girls, we ARE simply girls and that is the end of the story. If you are a gamer you should know this is a dream job for gamers and should be HAPPY for us. Yes, we are defensive is someone is negetive towards us because not only do we feel it is not deserved or warrented, this is also our JOB and negitive comments not only hurt our feelings but pose potential problems to our employers, understand? By your posts you are telling us we did not communicate appropriately who and what we really are, and I guess that is our fault but I also still feel you are not giving us the respect we crave, deserve, and work very hard for.

    FD_sig_Valkyrie.jpg
  • SphyxSphyx Registered User
    edited August 2004
    Well if you saw us, a lot of it was regrouping with a large group that did not want to get lost for it was half of our's first time at a convention and we had some minors with us. My parents would be pissed if I came home without my little brother. On the other hand, I was there largely to people watch so that did require some standing around XD

    ...People watch? You mean you paid $25 to watch people from the fourth floor near the escalators? :|
    I had never cosplayed before

    Well, I have, almost as many times as I've been to a convention. Then you wouldn't understand what I meant by the right time or the wrong time.
    I don't believe we hurt anyone by being there in costume and it made the experience more enjoyable for us.

    I didn't say you were hurting anyone. It's simply that nothing in the convention was geared towards cosplay whatsoever, and the very few of you that cosplayed seemed, frankly, out of place. Very out of place. And not just because there were so few of you, but simply because the focus was on so many other things.

    I can understand those guys that think it's great eye-candy, but we've been over this with the booth babes thing. It distracts and detracts from certain elements.
    If you think about it, not everyone there wore shirts strictly for Penny Arcade, despite it being run by two guys who operate a web comic. I saw other web comic t-shirts as well, in addition to several game-related and geek-related shirts. I fail to see how wearing game-related wear makes it anymore different.

    There's wearing a shirt proclaiming your nerdness, and then there's cosplaying. It's a huge line between the two, and anyone would agree on that. This is simply the opinion of myself and the five guys I went with, nothing more.

    I was the blue-haired girl at PAX 2005.
  • DrasiirDrasiir Registered User
    edited August 2004
    Jinx FD wrote:
    Well, to be perfectly honest, I for one *was* concerned about my appearance. I get really jittery around cameras because every picture of me comes out looking totally stoned (i.e. the one up on our blog). While I'm not some supermodel, I would like to look as good as possible if someone's flashing around a picture of me. Maybe it's a global girl thing, maybe it's not, but it is a self-consciousness. I don't think it's somehow shameful to us as female gamers to try to look nice as well, and you at least can't complain that we lacked in our hygiene. <g>

    That makes perfect sense and is completely understandable. I was just explaining why some people didn't like the frag dolls' image. I don't particularly care one way or another, but that's the reason why others do.

    I, myself, like the frag dolls. And the image thing is nobody's fault. But there is some reasoning behind it, and knowing can't hurt.

  • SuperFlyTNTSuperFlyTNT Registered User
    edited August 2004
    Athene FD wrote:
    Alright, this will be the last time I attempt to rationalize. We worked 14 hours the first day and 12 the next and spent the entire time (minus a short lunch break) playing the games. I am sorry you found it insulting, annoying, gimmicky, or however you took it that sometimes we felt sweaty and had to powder our nose- yes girls sweat!

    It was never intended to point to the fact we are girls, we ARE simply girls and that is the end of the story. If you are a gamer you should know this is a dream job for gamers and should be HAPPY for us. Yes, we are defensive is someone is negetive towards us because not only do we feel it is not deserved or warrented, this is also our JOB and negitive comments not only hurt our feelings but pose potential problems to our employers, understand? By your posts you are telling us we did not communicate appropriately who and what we really are, and I guess that is our fault but I also still feel you are not giving us the respect we crave, deserve, and work very hard for.

    Yeah, I wouldnt worry about it. The fact is more guys were probably scared of you than anything else. Dont take that the wrong way, its just that pretty girls intimidate mouth breathers.

    "Contact with alien races always renews one's faith in humanity. It is my belief that foreign travel narrows the mind wonderfully"
    -Helem Boesch-
  • BorfaseBorfase __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2004
    Athene FD wrote:
    Alright, this will be the last time I attempt to rationalize. We worked 14 hours the first day and 12 the next and spent the entire time (minus a short lunch break) playing the games. I am sorry you found it insulting, annoying, gimmicky, or however you took it that sometimes we felt sweaty and had to powder our nose- yes girls sweat!

    It was never intended to point to the fact we are girls, we ARE simply girls and that is the end of the story. If you are a gamer you should know this is a dream job for gamers and should be HAPPY for us. Yes, we are defensive is someone is negetive towards us because not only do we feel it is not deserved or warrented, this is also our JOB and negitive comments not only hurt our feelings but pose potential problems to our employers, understand? By your posts you are telling us we did not communicate appropriately who and what we really are, and I guess that is our fault but I also still feel you are not giving us the respect we crave, deserve, and work very hard for.

    Yeah, I wouldnt worry about it. The fact is more guys were probably scared of you than anything else. Dont take that the wrong way, its just that pretty girls intimidate mouth breathers.

    yeah that's totally it

    duhhhh i like spaghetti-o's lolz
  • SuperFlyTNTSuperFlyTNT Registered User
    edited August 2004
    "Contact with alien races always renews one's faith in humanity. It is my belief that foreign travel narrows the mind wonderfully"
    -Helem Boesch-
  • TheMountieTheMountie Registered User
    edited August 2004
    omg, my heart, make it stop.

    Dear PAX, next year may i have an enforcer shirt instead of just a staff badge. Love, Tyler.
  • NightingaleNightingale Registered User
    edited August 2004
    Sphyx wrote:
    ...People watch? You mean you paid $25 to watch people from the fourth floor near the escalators? :|

    My money, why not? XD It wasn't the only reason but it became one of my reasons. I hung out with my friends, met a lot of cool people, got to see Red vs. Blue, the PA Q&A, and just have an overall good time. These were the goals. Sunday we did spend a lot of time standing around, true, it was our meeting spot up by the escalators and we were in fact on a mission to find the Red vs. Blue guys so I could take a picture and then we could leave XD. And it worked!! :D
    Sphyx wrote:
    Well, I have, almost as many times as I've been to a convention. Then you wouldn't understand what I meant by the right time or the wrong time.

    I think a lot of that is perception, Sphyx. I'm not trying to discredit your experience in cosplaying because I'm not afraid to admit it was my first time at it. I just fail to see how it hurt the atmosphere. Maybe some people thought it was out of place, but I thought it was a great opportunity. If you want to get back to talking about money, if I'm going to spend the money to go to a convention I'm going to go all out about it. It's still a personal decision.
    Sphyx wrote:
    There's wearing a shirt proclaiming your nerdness, and then there's cosplaying. It's a huge line between the two, and anyone would agree on that. This is simply the opinion of myself and the five guys I went with, nothing more.

    That's cool, I respect that, and thanks for your honest feedback. I'll keep it in mind and sorry if I offended you or anything but overall it was a great experience, I had a wonderful time cosplaying, and I got a lot of compliments on the costume. I'm definitely planning on going in costume again next year. Cosplay is my way of showing my geekness :D

    finalnightsig.jpg
  • TheMountieTheMountie Registered User
    edited August 2004
    i think next year i'll dress as a gamer.

    Dear PAX, next year may i have an enforcer shirt instead of just a staff badge. Love, Tyler.
  • futilityfutility Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2004
    Athene FD wrote:
    Alright, this will be the last time I attempt to rationalize. We worked 14 hours the first day and 12 the next and spent the entire time (minus a short lunch break) playing the games. I am sorry you found it insulting, annoying, gimmicky, or however you took it that sometimes we felt sweaty and had to powder our nose- yes girls sweat!

    It was never intended to point to the fact we are girls, we ARE simply girls and that is the end of the story. If you are a gamer you should know this is a dream job for gamers and should be HAPPY for us. Yes, we are defensive is someone is negetive towards us because not only do we feel it is not deserved or warrented, this is also our JOB and negitive comments not only hurt our feelings but pose potential problems to our employers, understand? By your posts you are telling us we did not communicate appropriately who and what we really are, and I guess that is our fault but I also still feel you are not giving us the respect we crave, deserve, and work very hard for.

    I'm sorry if we've put you in the arguing position where you have to be on the defence. I'm sure it's something that you often have to put up with because of the disbelief of other. It's just that every time I heard the announcement of "OMG get ready or sigh up to play the frag dolls in r63:ba" it felt like a commercial. That's my only criticism really. I don't care that you're girls or that one of you powdered your nose during a match. Fuck if you all could braid each others' hair while wasting the competition that's even better (I suppose but then you become more of a side show).

    You all more than proved yourselves and get every bit of props or respect for it. And it's good that you exist to reach out to the female audience. you worked and played hard. good for you. and you did a good job at your job I suppose in kicking eveyrone's ass.

    And if your strategy is to atract female gamers by showing them that the girls can kick the boys asses, you're doing a great job. Just try not to go too far overboard...

  • SphyxSphyx Registered User
    edited August 2004
    That's cool, I respect that, and thanks for your honest feedback. I'll keep it in mind and sorry if I offended you or anything but overall it was a great experience, I had a wonderful time cosplaying, and I got a lot of compliments on the costume. I'm definitely planning on going in costume again next year. Cosplay is my way of showing my geekness :D

    You always get compliments when you cosplay. There was no point in cosplaying, however, outside of you felt like it. If your reasoning for going to this convention had been related more to the actual content than whatever you feel like doing, then perhaps you would've read my commentary with a careful eye.

    I understand the thrill of looking how you normally don't, but if you'd done this before a few times, maybe you would've gathered that it was, indeed, pointless outside of instant gratification from admirers.

    Your overuse of polite discourse is painful to wade through, but what I've gathered is you didn't understand in the least what I meant because you simply don't have the experience to have an opinion, so whatever. I'd rather not talk about this with you anymore.

    I was the blue-haired girl at PAX 2005.
  • NightingaleNightingale Registered User
    edited August 2004
    Athene FD wrote:
    - yes girls sweat!

    Actually, we 'perspire' tee hee. And Jinx, you needn't feel so nervous, you girls looked awesome :D I agree that the commentary about 'your chance to compete against the frag dolls!' seemed a little like a commercial but it was kind of a highlight to the tournament, if you ask me. I'm certainly inspired to play more, keep up the great work, girls :) *winks*

    finalnightsig.jpg
  • Bat-Winged BoyBat-Winged Boy Registered User, ClubPA
    edited August 2004
    Sphyx wrote:
    That's cool, I respect that, and thanks for your honest feedback. I'll keep it in mind and sorry if I offended you or anything but overall it was a great experience, I had a wonderful time cosplaying, and I got a lot of compliments on the costume. I'm definitely planning on going in costume again next year. Cosplay is my way of showing my geekness :D

    You always get compliments when you cosplay. There was no point in cosplaying, however, outside of you felt like it. If your reasoning for going to this convention had been related more to the actual content than whatever you feel like doing, then perhaps you would've read my commentary with a careful eye.

    I understand the thrill of looking how you normally don't, but if you'd done this before a few times, maybe you would've gathered that it was, indeed, pointless outside of instant gratification from admirers.

    You even ignored my bluntly saying I didn't say you were hurting anyone. Your overuse of polite discourse is painful to wade through, but what I've gathered is you didn't understand in the least what I meant because you simply don't have the experience to have an opinion, so whatever. I'd rather not talk about this with you anymore.

    1. Read today's summary of PAX from Tycho.
    2. Play Jet Set Radio Future.

    To me, this thread is all about people acting like dicks to people who are outside of their typical parlance.

    So what if there were cosplayers?
    And
    So what if you got taken to school by a bunch of hot chicks?

    Whine whine whine all you want, but unless you can find a real reason cosplay/girlgaming sucks (aside from "it's weird and different"), you're really taking no more superior a mindset than an intolerant high school bully.

  • Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Athene FD wrote:
    - yes girls sweat!

    Actually, we 'perspire' tee hee. And Jinx, you needn't feel so nervous, you girls looked awesome :D I agree that the commentary about 'your chance to compete against the frag dolls!' seemed a little like a commercial but it was kind of a highlight to the tournament, if you ask me. I'm certainly inspired to play more, keep up the great work, girls :) *winks*

    If you plan of cosplaying next year, you should do Sakura from Naruto. I am thinking of going as naruto my self.

  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2004
    ZeroZero wrote:
    Athene FD wrote:
    - yes girls sweat!

    Actually, we 'perspire' tee hee. And Jinx, you needn't feel so nervous, you girls looked awesome :D I agree that the commentary about 'your chance to compete against the frag dolls!' seemed a little like a commercial but it was kind of a highlight to the tournament, if you ask me. I'm certainly inspired to play more, keep up the great work, girls :) *winks*

    If you plan of cosplaying next year, you should do Sakura from Naruto. I am thinking of going as naruto my self.
    See, that's exactly what we don't want. ANIME cosplaying has no place in a gaming convention. They're two different things no matter how many times the mediums cross. As I gather it Nightingale and her group went as GAME characters, which is just fine. Something I wouldn't do, but I wouldn't have a problem with it. Especially the person who went as Aya Brea; her being my favorite heroine and all, it was nice to see someone represent.

    EDIT: See as in, see a picture and hear about. Christ, I wish I'd gone just so I wouldn't have to explain my context.

    EDIT #2: Naruto is terrible.

  • NightingaleNightingale Registered User
    edited August 2004
    ZeroZero wrote:
    If you plan of cosplaying next year, you should do Sakura from Naruto. I am thinking of going as naruto my self.

    We do plan on cosplaying but we're gonna try to keep it more in the general and recognizable video game genre. Maybe King of Fighters or Soul Calibur. We've even thought of Mario Brothers :D

    finalnightsig.jpg
  • Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    ZeroZero wrote:
    If you plan of cosplaying next year, you should do Sakura from Naruto. I am thinking of going as naruto my self.

    We do plan on cosplaying but we're gonna try to keep it more in the general and recognizable video game genre. Maybe King of Fighters or Soul Calibur. We've even thought of Mario Brothers :D

    Yeah, that souds good. I think people would recoognize Naruto though. Half of G+T reads it.

  • QuizMasterQuizMaster Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    seppuku FD wrote:
    well, just to hear it from the source, we're a team of girls sponsored by Ubisoft to kinda break the stereotype of a typical female gamer.

    Hmmmm....I don't know if that is really "breaking" the stereotype as much as it is reinforcing it. I mean (and I'm really trying not to be sexist here...but it's hard to put my thoughts out with a positive connotation), wasn't the whole point behind the team to shock people until they say to themselves, "Wow, they were able to find a group of lovely ladies who had skills" . I'm just saying...the intensity and skill shown was shocking.

    But if it is shocking...wouldn't that mean that it is rare (who gets shocked by familiarity)? And if it is rare, then is it not typical? And if the scenario of having females win is not typical....doesn't that make the stereotype even worse?

    Not trying to offend anyone...just asking a question that has been on my mind for a while now.

  • Kato_ArabelKato_Arabel Registered User
    edited August 2004
    Who were you? Link me.

    You can see me here with some of the guys from red vs. blue. I have other pictures in that folder too of friends and people I ran across.

    OK I saw you there. Nice costume by the way, I thought you were someone else though as I never play DOA3.

    *walks over to SuperFly with a baseball bat*

    *WHACK WHACK WHACK WHACK WHACK WHACK WHACK*

    *walks away, leaving SuperFly in a beaten, bloody mess on the floor*

    Anyone who hasn't played DOA3 is an idiot.

    *walks out of the Thread*

    I think you play to many violent video games... :P
    |


    And some people say that Motorball is violent....
    I just simply like to entertain myself with thoughts of beating people into a pulp when it comes to dealing with morons who have a brick for a brain.

  • Bat-Winged BoyBat-Winged Boy Registered User, ClubPA
    edited August 2004
    QuizMaster wrote:
    seppuku FD wrote:
    well, just to hear it from the source, we're a team of girls sponsored by Ubisoft to kinda break the stereotype of a typical female gamer.

    Hmmmm....I don't know if that is really "breaking" the stereotype as much as it is reinforcing it. I mean (and I'm really trying not to be sexist here...but it's hard to put my thoughts out with a positive connotation), wasn't the whole point behind the team to shock people until they say to themselves, "Wow, they were able to find a group of lovely ladies who had skills" . I'm just saying...the intensity and skill shown was shocking.

    But if it is shocking...wouldn't that mean that it is rare (who gets shocked by familiarity)? And if it is rare, then is it not typical? And if the scenario of having females win is not typical....doesn't that make the stereotype even worse?

    Not trying to offend anyone...just asking a question that has been on my mind for a while now.

    And would my local Gamestop, which has often been staffed with more women than men (and in managerial positions too!), be "trying to shock people" with that choice of employees?

    No. They chose the employees for who they were. This isn't to say the FragDolls "happenstantially" are all girls, but it felt more novelty to me than feminism. Of course, to me it accomplished both. My thoughts were as follows:

    ME: "Oh, ha ha, FragDolls. Hooray for booth babes, boo for girls relying on boobs to be popular."
    FRAGDOLLS: *grab gamers*
    ME: "Huh?"
    FRAGDOLLS: *chomp chomp chew masticate PTOOIE*
    ME: "Sw33t!"

    I mean really. If they'd been the FragNecks, a bunch of mullet-wearing gamers dressed in flannel who couldn't spell their own last names, but could take all comers in all tournaments, would all these boys be complaining now?

  • terrixterrix Registered User
    edited August 2004
    I thought it was cool to see attractive girls there that were actual gamers, instead of just paid models who no interest in the actual convention or gaming themselves. That's the stereotype I think they break. The fact the FragDolls can whoop you in most games puts them several marks above just some attractive girl paid to look hot in some costume to market some product, they were actual legitimate gamers and not just booth babes or what I would call booth babes. One of them(didn't get her name) gave me tips in the Rainbow Six tourney while I was playing and earned a lot of my respect. Another friend of mine got to talk with Jinx for a while watching a tourney and thought she was a pretty cool person who knew her gaming.

    The hot asian girls on the other hand were just booth babes as far as I knew as they were just handing out flyers. If they were there to enjoy the convention as well then my mistake. Somehow, one of my friends coaxed me into a picture with one of them. :roll:

    The cosplayers were cool, I got my picture with a few of them, and was cosplaying a bit the second day with my Naruto Konoha forehead protector. Lots of people came up to me about that. Actually I got pictures of most of the event. I'll put up later on www.roxborolan.com

    Edit: Nightengale, I didn't realize you were one of the cosplayers, I would have mentioned seeing you post in the forums.

    In terms of girls and gamers I came back to my computer before I was packing up and found a rather attractive girl on it playing CoD. We got to talking and she was rather cool and we talked for a while and found out we liked the same games. She was there to play games. For me I had heard of such girls but to me it was like a myth told of in ancient legend, going to PAX changed my perspective or I should say helped to shape my perspective a bit on the idea of a female hardcore gamer.

  • DiscoWlitenDiscoWliten Registered User
    edited August 2004
    Athene FD wrote:
    - yes girls sweat!

    Actually, we 'perspire' tee hee.

    To quote my grandmother, an expert on the subject:

    Horses sweat,
    Men perspire,
    Women glow.

  • SuperFlyTNTSuperFlyTNT Registered User
    edited August 2004
    And some people say that Motorball is violent....
    I just simply like to entertain myself with thoughts of beating people into a pulp when it comes to dealing with morons who have a brick for a brain

    People have brick for brains because they dont play the same crappy games you do? AYRTS? Is anyone?

    "Contact with alien races always renews one's faith in humanity. It is my belief that foreign travel narrows the mind wonderfully"
    -Helem Boesch-
  • SuperFlyTNTSuperFlyTNT Registered User
    edited August 2004
    QuizMaster wrote:
    seppuku FD wrote:
    well, just to hear it from the source, we're a team of girls sponsored by Ubisoft to kinda break the stereotype of a typical female gamer.

    Hmmmm....I don't know if that is really "breaking" the stereotype as much as it is reinforcing it. I mean (and I'm really trying not to be sexist here...but it's hard to put my thoughts out with a positive connotation), wasn't the whole point behind the team to shock people until they say to themselves, "Wow, they were able to find a group of lovely ladies who had skills" . I'm just saying...the intensity and skill shown was shocking.

    But if it is shocking...wouldn't that mean that it is rare (who gets shocked by familiarity)? And if it is rare, then is it not typical? And if the scenario of having females win is not typical....doesn't that make the stereotype even worse?

    Not trying to offend anyone...just asking a question that has been on my mind for a while now.

    And would my local Gamestop, which has often been staffed with more women than men (and in managerial positions too!), be "trying to shock people" with that choice of employees?

    No. They chose the employees for who they were. This isn't to say the FragDolls "happenstantially" are all girls, but it felt more novelty to me than feminism. Of course, to me it accomplished both. My thoughts were as follows:

    ME: "Oh, ha ha, FragDolls. Hooray for booth babes, boo for girls relying on boobs to be popular."
    FRAGDOLLS: *grab gamers*
    ME: "Huh?"
    FRAGDOLLS: *chomp chomp chew masticate PTOOIE*
    ME: "Sw33t!"

    I mean really. If they'd been the FragNecks, a bunch of mullet-wearing gamers dressed in flannel who couldn't spell their own last names, but could take all comers in all tournaments, would all these boys be complaining now?

    Mullets are the only thing that could make the fragdolls any cooler.

    "Contact with alien races always renews one's faith in humanity. It is my belief that foreign travel narrows the mind wonderfully"
    -Helem Boesch-
  • SphyxSphyx Registered User
    edited August 2004
    1. Read today's summary of PAX from Tycho.
    2. Play Jet Set Radio Future.

    To me, this thread is all about people acting like dicks to people who are outside of their typical parlance.

    So what if there were cosplayers?
    And
    So what if you got taken to school by a bunch of hot chicks?

    Whine whine whine all you want, but unless you can find a real reason cosplay/girlgaming sucks (aside from "it's weird and different"), you're really taking no more superior a mindset than an intolerant high school bully.

    What the hell are you talking about. Did you even read my previous posts? Obviously not, therefore your comments are negated.

    If there was even a small focus on cosplaying, you would've seen people who've cosplayed before (me) doing it as well. This con was created for the purpose of (as well as most of us were there for) gaming, thus everyone was, you guessed it, GAMING. You cosplay for the attention. You don't need to wear an outfit to talk about cosplaying with anyone. I assume we all know how to hold conversations?

    There's a time and place for everything.

    I was the blue-haired girl at PAX 2005.
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2004
    TheMountie wrote:
    how many other girls won tournies at PAX?

    i was on the team that placed second in the counter-strike tournament. you all probably didnt see the finals because they were at 4 in the morning...and its probably a good thing you didnt. :oops: we got whooped on by some guys who play together all the time!!! all in all, i was happy with our placement 1) because none of us usually play together and we arent an organized clan, 2) we had a random ringer to complete our team, and 3) we thought we weren't even going to make it through the first or second round! Even though we were occupied by counter-strike for about 12 hours, it was an awesome experience! my first tournament ever and we placed second!! woohoo!!!

  • terrixterrix Registered User
    edited August 2004
    They cosplayed as game characters which was perfectly relevant to the con's theme, and anime and gaming go hand in hand and one influences the other, there also was an anime booth at the convention. There is no reason why there shouldn't be some cosplaying, it isn't gonna turn the con into and anime convention and as long as it is game related.

    Shoot you go to anime conventions and they have video game booths and video game cosplayers, you don't hear them complaining.

  • slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Drasiir wrote:
    I think that the real problem with the frag dolls stems from not who they are, but how they go about it....<snip>

    Okay, I'm calling "bullshit" on this right now.

    Women in games: The female demographic on FPS games is irrelevant. They are neither marketed to, nor designed for. The fact that a team of women can get together and win a tournament breaks stereotypes (of male spacial-relationship superiority) and exalts teamwork.

    Second, it encourages women to play these games. This is not only good for the industry, but it's also good for us, the male gamer. Did you notice how many women were at this expo? Not enough! And I was keeping track.

    And let me say this again, because I don't think I understood your point: you're griping about women being attractive? Good lord, man!

    If you're going to be a role model, as the Frag Dolls are, you should try to look and act as best you can. The fact that these women pulled it off after two 12+ hour days shows they've got the right stuff. I say kudos to them.

    Yeah, this was a gaming convention, and the point was games. But appearance counts in a public place, and I really wish a lot of the unwashed, stinking gamers I encountered would realize this.

    And maybe this takes us to the real point: by having good-looking people at a convention aimed at people who happily refer to themselves as "geeks", it's possible the open acceptance of gamers and all their eccentricities may be compromised. Instead of having a get-together of fans, we'll see cliques of annoying egotists who show up not for the games, but to hit on chicks.

    Believe me. That ain't gonna happen. You get no respect if you can't play ; without respect, you have no chance. Besides, the collective wit of nerd culture will be as shark infested waters to those who take themselves too seriously. We all love to see the loudmouth braggart fall on his arse.

    Don't fear the Frag Dolls. Be thankful.

  • TheMountieTheMountie Registered User
    edited August 2004
    Dreamer wrote:
    TheMountie wrote:
    how many other girls won tournies at PAX?

    i was on the team that placed second in the counter-strike tournament. you all probably didnt see the finals because they were at 4 in the morning...and its probably a good thing you didnt. :oops: we got whooped on by some guys who play together all the time!!! all in all, i was happy with our placement 1) because none of us usually play together and we arent an organized clan, 2) we had a random ringer to complete our team, and 3) we thought we weren't even going to make it through the first or second round! Even though we were occupied by counter-strike for about 12 hours, it was an awesome experience! my first tournament ever and we placed second!! woohoo!!!

    good job, hats off to you.

    Dear PAX, next year may i have an enforcer shirt instead of just a staff badge. Love, Tyler.
  • BorfaseBorfase __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2004
    i call shenanigans on your bullshit but i'm not gonna type an essay because i'm lazy

    duhhhh i like spaghetti-o's lolz
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited August 2004
    A) I am a girl (and I think I am at least moderately attractive)
    B) I had no problem with the fragdolls

    I know this sounds cliche and like an easy out, but for all you men out there, you really just CAN'T understand in the end how it feels to be in a traditionally male-dominated area like gaming. I get a lot of shit just from my friends (mostly male) in many forms (they gain up on me if I am winning games often)... And I get a lot of guys asking me if I actually game or if my boyfriend does (sigh). Men are 90% or so of the gaming industry.
    The "image" of the traditional gamer girl is also rather unflattering. We are seen as social misfits or as though we should be soda slurping overweight girls who can't get laid unless we frag you 50 times and have a great personality. Also, growing up a lot of us who are over the age of 20 or so (and definately 25) had the disadvantage of stereotypes for kids... the son gets a nintendo, the daughter gets Barbie. Son gets computer, daughter gets makeup kit.

    So the fragdolls, they are hot, they are good, and damnit... I see no issue with them powdering their noses or giving birth while playing quake (although that image is hilarious and yeah, I know it was sarcasm)...

    my 2 cents

  • slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited August 2004
    Borfase wrote:
    i call shenanigans on your bullshit but i'm not gonna type an essay because i'm lazy

    Shenanigans? I'll get my broom.

  • BorfaseBorfase __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2004
    slacktron wrote:
    Borfase wrote:
    i call shenanigans on your bullshit but i'm not gonna type an essay because i'm lazy

    Shenanigans? I'll get my broom.
    calling shenanigans on something sounds funnier than calling bullshit, so that's what i use

    duhhhh i like spaghetti-o's lolz
Sign In or Register to comment.