Vanilla Forums has been nominated for a second time in the CMS Critic "Critic's Choice" awards, and we need your vote! Read more here, and then do the thing (please).
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

"No!" says Hollywood, "It belongs in the theatres!" BioShock: The Movie

1246

Posts

  • Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm still surprised that the bloke who played 'Quark' in Deep Space Nine, did the voice of Andrew Ryan

  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? peach treesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Tiemler wrote: »
    Worst case scenario: Michael Clark Duncan as Big Daddy.

    Dakota "All I do is scream" Fanning as Little Sister.

    Now, that's not fair.

    She stares and goes catatonic, too.

    Just like a little sister!

    Shut the fuck up, all of you

    Man on Fire is on and Dakota Fanning is adorable
    I'm still surprised that the bloke who played 'Quark' in Deep Space Nine, did the voice of Andrew Ryan

    You have to be kidding me

    7u0YG.gif
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | SCREENED | STEAM ID | BUY SOME STUFF!
  • IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Mr Bubbles wrote: »
    I'm still surprised that the bloke who played 'Quark' in Deep Space Nine, did the voice of Andrew Ryan

    I know, i found that really shocking after checking IMDB.
    But now i know, he does sound like him.

    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Klonoa of the Wind WAHOO!Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Fucking Principal Snyder, man. I still can't see that voice coming from him.

    BwQ9Ecd.jpg?1
    Magya! | Sometimes I stream PS4 games here | PSN: UnbreakableVow
  • MHYoshimitzuMHYoshimitzu Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    drhazard wrote: »
    Yeah, I loved arguing in favor of Bioshock's brilliance when the inevitable critical backlash came, and even I won't bother with this. When the main theme of the game is the futility and illusion of choice, rendered extremely well through personal interaction, and you decide to remake it in a non-interactive medium... you're missing the point.

    I mean, obviously I'd like the Bioshock story to be heard by as many people as possible, so dissemination is nice, but something essential will be lost. Pass.

    Maybe this is yet another element of the game.

    "But I don't want the game to be made into a movie..."

    "You don't have a choice"

    Spoiler:
  • darleysamdarleysam Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Mr Bubbles wrote: »
    I'm still surprised that the bloke who played 'Quark' in Deep Space Nine, did the voice of Andrew Ryan

    What?

    IMDB confirms this, but.. WHAT THE HOLY HELL?

  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, Ken Levine teased the whole Andrew Ryan voice actor mystery for the longest time on the official forums. No one guessed it, because he doesn't sound anything like his previous roles, but it's him alright.

    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    darleysam wrote: »
    Mr Bubbles wrote: »
    I'm still surprised that the bloke who played 'Quark' in Deep Space Nine, did the voice of Andrew Ryan

    What?

    IMDB confirms this, but.. WHAT THE HOLY HELL?

    MIND = BLOWN

    scarab you have mental problems
  • ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User
    edited May 2008
    The twist just wouldn't work in a movie format.
    Why ever not?

    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The twist just wouldn't work in a movie format.
    Why ever not?

    Because it relied mainly upon gaming conventions and mechanics to make sense.

    You literally couldnt progress in the game unless you picked up the radio, or did this or turned that.

    In a movie, where you are not constrained by these mechanics, it would look weird for the Jack character to be following orders so fanatically.

    Of course they could work around it a little, but it would be much more obvious what was going on.

    In the game, Atlas says to do this, and whether you want to or not you have to, because the game is forcing you to. If you take away these game mechanics then there is a less strong twist.

    scarab you have mental problems
  • Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    darleysam wrote: »
    Mr Bubbles wrote: »
    I'm still surprised that the bloke who played 'Quark' in Deep Space Nine, did the voice of Andrew Ryan

    What?

    IMDB confirms this, but.. WHAT THE HOLY HELL?

    MIND = BLOWN

    My work here is done

  • SzechuanSzechuan Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    The twist just wouldn't work in a movie format.
    Why ever not?

    Because it relied mainly upon gaming conventions and mechanics to make sense.

    You literally couldnt progress in the game unless you picked up the radio, or did this or turned that.

    In a movie, where you are not constrained by these mechanics, it would look weird for the Jack character to be following orders so fanatically.

    Of course they could work around it a little, but it would be much more obvious what was going on.

    In the game, Atlas says to do this, and whether you want to or not you have to, because the game is forcing you to. If you take away these game mechanics then there is a less strong twist.

    Not to mention that a big reason the twist was done so well is that it played out over ~6-8 hours of gameplay, by which time the clues are kind of sitting there in your mind, but not necessarily obvious. Try shoehorning the key lines and clues into a 2 hour movie and it's going to be really blatant - hell, the dialogue would be saturated with it.

  • Grammaton ClericGrammaton Cleric Registered User
    edited May 2008
    Szechuan wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Æthelred wrote: »
    The twist just wouldn't work in a movie format.
    Why ever not?

    Because it relied mainly upon gaming conventions and mechanics to make sense.

    You literally couldnt progress in the game unless you picked up the radio, or did this or turned that.

    In a movie, where you are not constrained by these mechanics, it would look weird for the Jack character to be following orders so fanatically.

    Of course they could work around it a little, but it would be much more obvious what was going on.

    In the game, Atlas says to do this, and whether you want to or not you have to, because the game is forcing you to. If you take away these game mechanics then there is a less strong twist.

    Not to mention that a big reason the twist was done so well is that it played out over ~6-8 hours of gameplay, by which time the clues are kind of sitting there in your mind, but not necessarily obvious. Try shoehorning the key lines and clues into a 2 hour movie and it's going to be really blatant - hell, the dialogue would be saturated with it.

    I don't think the dialogue would have to feel overly saturated with "would you kindlies". If the protaganist was perfoming actions that seemed logical for the most part and only engaged in more dangerous actions with a "would you kindly..." it would make sense when the twist comes up.

    It's a poor comparison; but the "nice coat" line got a big laugh in Batman Begins and was only stated three times. The movie doesn't have to be peppered w/ "would you kindly" left and right for the audience to get the gist of it.

  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer I'm Speed Racer and I drive real fast. I drive real fast, I'm gonna last.Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'd say you'd need, at max, 3 or 4 "would you kindlies." One for the short-wave radio, one for "WOULD YOU KINDLY KILL THAT SON OF A BITCH," and one or two more sprinkled in between the two.

    speedsig2_zps388d2098.jpg
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    -SPI- wrote: »
    So considering other video-game to movie translations this should be about "Big daddy" a cyborg cop in the year 2020, who fights crime with "Little sister" the AI that lives inside his hover ferrari?

    I'm heading to Fandango, baby...opening day!

    I've got a great promotional idea for this movie: free puppy with every ticket.

    (That's a terrible thing to say, and I should be ashamed.)

    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer I'm Speed Racer and I drive real fast. I drive real fast, I'm gonna last.Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Though I still think you could make a better movie by focusing on McClintock.

    speedsig2_zps388d2098.jpg
  • Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Video game to movie translation has never been done well? *points to Silent Hill* I'm sorry, it has been done well.

  • ArrathArrath Registered User
    edited May 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    darleysam wrote: »
    Mr Bubbles wrote: »
    I'm still surprised that the bloke who played 'Quark' in Deep Space Nine, did the voice of Andrew Ryan

    What?

    IMDB confirms this, but.. WHAT THE HOLY HELL?

    MIND = BLOWN

    keanureevesWoah.jpg

    cj iwakura wrote:
    Making for Oregon is suicide, as DOS games have shown.
  • MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Szechuan wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    The twist just wouldn't work in a movie format.
    Why ever not?

    Because it relied mainly upon gaming conventions and mechanics to make sense.

    You literally couldnt progress in the game unless you picked up the radio, or did this or turned that.

    In a movie, where you are not constrained by these mechanics, it would look weird for the Jack character to be following orders so fanatically.

    Of course they could work around it a little, but it would be much more obvious what was going on.

    In the game, Atlas says to do this, and whether you want to or not you have to, because the game is forcing you to. If you take away these game mechanics then there is a less strong twist.

    Not to mention that a big reason the twist was done so well is that it played out over ~6-8 hours of gameplay, by which time the clues are kind of sitting there in your mind, but not necessarily obvious. Try shoehorning the key lines and clues into a 2 hour movie and it's going to be really blatant - hell, the dialogue would be saturated with it.

    I don't think the dialogue would have to feel overly saturated with "would you kindlies". If the protaganist was perfoming actions that seemed logical for the most part and only engaged in more dangerous actions with a "would you kindly..." it would make sense when the twist comes up.

    It's a poor comparison; but the "nice coat" line got a big laugh in Batman Begins and was only stated three times. The movie doesn't have to be peppered w/ "would you kindly" left and right for the audience to get the gist of it.

    The only way to do this well is to completely reimagine the stories mechanics. Also it will probably be a lengthy film.

    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

    Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

    3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Though I still think you could make a better movie by focusing on McClintock.

    Was her ultimate fate ever even revealed?

    The last log I got of her was
    Spoiler:

    It would leave a fair amount open to explore if so.



    I'm also wondering- can/will the movie be a prequel (showing the fall of Rapture) if such is already (supposedly) the subject of Bioshock 2?

  • IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Antithesis wrote: »
    Though I still think you could make a better movie by focusing on McClintock.

    Was her ultimate fate ever even revealed?

    The last log I got of her was
    Spoiler:

    It would leave a fair amount open to explore if so.



    I'm also wondering- can/will the movie be a prequel (showing the fall of Rapture) if such is already (supposedly) the subject of Bioshock 2?
    Spoiler:

  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Businessman!Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    yeah, TVsFrank implied that the dead body was hers.

    anyway, why are you all so shocked Armin Shimmerman was Andrew Ryan? I mean, yeah, he was Quark and Snyder, but was this a big deal back when the game came out? I found out about it, and went "eh. alright"

    steam_sig.png

    I pronounce it bee-log. Most recent entry: VIDEO GAMES: GUNPOINT, OR A SCIENTIFIC STUDY ON WHAT HAPPENS WHEN GLASS MEETS TROUSERS.
    3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/TheJohnDarc
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Æthelred wrote: »
    The twist just wouldn't work in a movie format.
    Why ever not?

    Because it relied mainly upon gaming conventions and mechanics to make sense.

    You literally couldnt progress in the game unless you picked up the radio, or did this or turned that.

    In a movie, where you are not constrained by these mechanics, it would look weird for the Jack character to be following orders so fanatically.

    Of course they could work around it a little, but it would be much more obvious what was going on.

    In the game, Atlas says to do this, and whether you want to or not you have to, because the game is forcing you to. If you take away these game mechanics then there is a less strong twist.

    I think that's one thing that annoyed me about the game. If after that point, the game really opened up and became non-linear, giving you actual choices (more than just the harvest / save thing), then I think it would have been a really brilliant representation of that. That's what I was expecting when the command no longer worked, that all of a sudden the gameworld would open up and BE less linear to represent the fact that you no longer functioned with mental conditioning that only allowed you to see one path, that you could now see the possibilities for action in this world.

    If they had done that, I feel the post-reveal gameplay could have really made the game.

  • TharghorTharghor Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    There should propably be a spoiler warning in the thread title. I know we can't spoil the movie, but I guess some poor souls hasn't played Bioshock yet.

    I wonder how they will treat the dead smugglers and their bibles.

  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Tharghor wrote: »
    There should propably be a spoiler warning in the thread title. I know we can't spoil the movie, but I guess some poor souls hasn't played Bioshock yet.

    I wonder how they will treat the dead smugglers and their bibles.

    If I'm guessing right, as persecuted heroes.

  • EvanderEvander Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    darleysam wrote: »
    It could be an awesome film, and people would still find something to piss and moan about.

    Bioshock is the PROOF that games can tell a story just as well as movies.

    Making a movie out of it DEFEATS the purpose.

    georgersig.jpg
  • PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Evander wrote: »
    darleysam wrote: »
    It could be an awesome film, and people would still find something to piss and moan about.

    Bioshock is the PROOF that games can tell a story just as well as movies.

    Making a movie out of it DEFEATS the purpose.

    But it has not yet shown that it can properly integrate the storytelling with the gameplay in the least bit. What, exactly, did the big reveal change? Nothing. You still followed a linear path, driven by developer-directed objectives, following designated parameters. Your new 'freedom' meant nothing.

    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot WRIGGLY OMG WRIGGLYRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It's not the director and writer I'm worried about so much as the casting and Hollywood-spin they'll want to put on it.

    Will Smith as Jack. Suri Cruise as Little Sisters. Paris Hilton makes a cameo as a splicer. It goes on.

    0wSr10c.png?1
  • EvanderEvander Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Pureauthor wrote: »
    Evander wrote: »
    darleysam wrote: »
    It could be an awesome film, and people would still find something to piss and moan about.

    Bioshock is the PROOF that games can tell a story just as well as movies.

    Making a movie out of it DEFEATS the purpose.

    But it has not yet shown that it can properly integrate the storytelling with the gameplay in the least bit. What, exactly, did the big reveal change? Nothing. You still followed a linear path, driven by developer-directed objectives, following designated parameters. Your new 'freedom' meant nothing.

    I respectfully disagree.

    The great irony of the game is that in reality there is no free will either.



    As proven by science.

    georgersig.jpg
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Evander wrote: »
    darleysam wrote: »
    It could be an awesome film, and people would still find something to piss and moan about.

    Bioshock is the PROOF that games can tell a story just as well as movies.

    Making a movie out of it DEFEATS the purpose.

    Subjective's can't be held as proofs. :P

    I thought the basic plot of Bioshock was OK, but not brilliant (especially the harvesting aspect and how that played out with the ending). On the other hand I felt that the dialogue and voice acting were really good and made up for that. Also, as an actual attempt to deconstruct Atlas Shrugged I felt it didn't do too good a job, but then that's probably me looking for something that the game wasn't aiming for. I suspect Atlas Shrugged was meant to be the theme but not necessarily analysed as such, but I guess I'll never really know.

    As for a film, could be good, just depends on the script and acting and stuff. If nothing else, the underwater 1940's styled utopia is a pretty evocative setting and could easily make for an good film if used well.

  • PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Evander wrote: »
    Pureauthor wrote: »
    Evander wrote: »
    darleysam wrote: »
    It could be an awesome film, and people would still find something to piss and moan about.

    Bioshock is the PROOF that games can tell a story just as well as movies.

    Making a movie out of it DEFEATS the purpose.

    But it has not yet shown that it can properly integrate the storytelling with the gameplay in the least bit. What, exactly, did the big reveal change? Nothing. You still followed a linear path, driven by developer-directed objectives, following designated parameters. Your new 'freedom' meant nothing.

    I respectfully disagree.

    The great irony of the game is that in reality there is no free will either.



    As proven by science.

    Except that the game does not in any way attempt to portray this.

    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • redhaloredhalo Registered User
    edited May 2008
    Evander wrote: »
    darleysam wrote: »
    It could be an awesome film, and people would still find something to piss and moan about.

    Bioshock is the PROOF that games can tell a story just as well as movies.

    Making a movie out of it DEFEATS the purpose.

    I disagree. I think the story being so good warrants wanting to share it with as many people as possible; those who wouldn't touch video games because they believe that they can't have as good or better of a story than a movie.

  • EvanderEvander Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    redhalo wrote: »
    Evander wrote: »
    darleysam wrote: »
    It could be an awesome film, and people would still find something to piss and moan about.

    Bioshock is the PROOF that games can tell a story just as well as movies.

    Making a movie out of it DEFEATS the purpose.

    I disagree. I think the story being so good warrants wanting to share it with as many people as possible; those who wouldn't touch video games because they believe that they can't have as good or better of a story than a movie.

    The story is tied to the medium, though, and it isimpossible to translate it properly to a passive medium, since it is all about choice and action.

    I'd rather see it released on PS3 and other consoles, in order to reach a wider audience, than castrated and stuck up on the silver screen.

    georgersig.jpg
  • EvanderEvander Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Pureauthor wrote: »
    Evander wrote: »
    Pureauthor wrote: »
    Evander wrote: »
    darleysam wrote: »
    It could be an awesome film, and people would still find something to piss and moan about.

    Bioshock is the PROOF that games can tell a story just as well as movies.

    Making a movie out of it DEFEATS the purpose.

    But it has not yet shown that it can properly integrate the storytelling with the gameplay in the least bit. What, exactly, did the big reveal change? Nothing. You still followed a linear path, driven by developer-directed objectives, following designated parameters. Your new 'freedom' meant nothing.

    I respectfully disagree.

    The great irony of the game is that in reality there is no free will either.



    As proven by science.

    Except that the game does not in any way attempt to portray this.

    No, it DOES portray it, it just doesn't beat you over the head with it.

    georgersig.jpg
  • PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Aside from the fact that you are, in essence, stuck on a predetermined path with no way to avoid doing it, and all you can really do is make a few superficial choices along the path (something which applies to practically every linear videogame ever made), how does Bioshock portray it?

    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? peach treesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Bioshock uses genre conventions as a storytelling device

    It wouldn't work well as a movie because most moviegoers wouldn't be familiar with them

    Plus, the twist works because you have been in some level of control throughout the game and then it's suddenly taken away from you. That sense of being manipulated wouldn't make the transition from game to movie very well, if at all

    7u0YG.gif
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | SCREENED | STEAM ID | BUY SOME STUFF!
  • Saul MaloneSaul Malone Registered User
    edited May 2008
    Bioshock had a great setting but the story (especially its ending) was horrible.

  • redhaloredhalo Registered User
    edited May 2008
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Bioshock uses genre conventions as a storytelling device

    It wouldn't work well as a movie because most moviegoers wouldn't be familiar with them

    Plus, the twist works because you have been in some level of control throughout the game and then it's suddenly taken away from you. That sense of being manipulated wouldn't make the transition from game to movie very well, if at all

    Well that's why you hire writers and you don't film the story word for word exactly. It's called adaptation. I can't see any real reason that this can transcibe into film.

  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? peach treesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    redhalo wrote: »
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Bioshock uses genre conventions as a storytelling device

    It wouldn't work well as a movie because most moviegoers wouldn't be familiar with them

    Plus, the twist works because you have been in some level of control throughout the game and then it's suddenly taken away from you. That sense of being manipulated wouldn't make the transition from game to movie very well, if at all

    Well that's why you hire writers and you don't film the story word for word exactly. It's called adaptation. I can't see any real reason that this can transcibe into film.

    Well I suppose it would have to be more about action movie tropes rather than first person shooter conventions then, if we're going to take advantage of the medium the same way the game did

    But I still don't see how the twist is going to have the same power it did in the game. I mean, it worked so well because you had been playing the game up to that point and then when you lost control for the cutscene it made perfect sense in the story of the game

    7u0YG.gif
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | SCREENED | STEAM ID | BUY SOME STUFF!
  • redhaloredhalo Registered User
    edited May 2008
    Olivaw wrote: »
    redhalo wrote: »
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Bioshock uses genre conventions as a storytelling device

    It wouldn't work well as a movie because most moviegoers wouldn't be familiar with them

    Plus, the twist works because you have been in some level of control throughout the game and then it's suddenly taken away from you. That sense of being manipulated wouldn't make the transition from game to movie very well, if at all

    Well that's why you hire writers and you don't film the story word for word exactly. It's called adaptation. I can't see any real reason that this can transcibe into film.

    Well I suppose it would have to be more about action movie tropes rather than first person shooter conventions then, if we're going to take advantage of the medium the same way the game did

    But I still don't see how the twist is going to have the same power it did in the game. I mean, it worked so well because you had been playing the game up to that point and then when you lost control for the cutscene it made perfect sense in the story of the game

    What your describing is just a matter of filming it in third person rather than first. It could be said that any movie would have a bigger impact if we could experiance it in first person over the course of 40 hours or whatever. That isn't to say that the plot wouldn't work just becuase it's been scaled down to watching someone else experiance it over 2 hours.

Sign In or Register to comment.