As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Invincible Iron Thread: The Movies, The Comics, The Ephemera

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited May 2008
    It's not exactly a blockbuster kind of film, though. Probably too dark to break records, and all that.

DJ Eebs on
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It's not exactly a blockbuster kind of film, though. Probably too dark to break records, and all that.

Well yeah, but in terms of being the biggest this summer I could see it, that's what I meant.

smokmnky on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    When the majority of the movie-going public saw and adored Indiana Jones during the formative years of their lives, I think you'd be hard-pressed to come up with any justification for betting against a sequel.

There was a similar thought process involved in the making of a certain Speeds Racer film.

It didn't pan out so well.

Anywho, I just have this hard to shake feeling that Indy will do well, but not super-huge-omega-blockbuster well.

If it wasn't opening on Memorial Day weekend, I'd say it'd probably pull in as much as the average PIXAR film (About 75M first weekend).

HadjiQuest on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I was on campus at the local university on Friday, and happened to learn that the "welcome (back) to campus" events for August included a screening of Indy 4. And I couldn't help myself, opining aloud "Does anyone here (i.e, the staff) realize that the incoming freshmen weren't even born when the last movie came out?" One secretary laughed. No one else seemed to want to say anything. I think it's all hype, and will underwhelm. Also, God did I laugh at Speed Racer's "success."

Anyway, Iron Man was awesome. So awesome. I went into total fanboy mode.

Crimsondude on
    edited May 2008
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    When the majority of the movie-going public saw and adored Indiana Jones during the formative years of their lives, I think you'd be hard-pressed to come up with any justification for betting against a sequel.

There was a similar thought process involved in the making of a certain Speeds Racer film.

Indiana Jones is on an entirely different level in this country than Speed Racer could ever hope to be. I mean, seriously.

DJ Eebs on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Usually, you measure these things by the number of parodies a given film has. I'm guessing like 1,000 to 1 in Indy's favor.

Robos A Go Go on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Indiana Jones is on an entirely different level in this country than Speed Racer could ever hope to be. I mean, seriously.

people who grew up on speed racer are not part of the majority of the movie-going public anymore, they are too old.

Everybody who is between 20-45 grew up on Indiana Jones, it is not even remotley comparable

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RuinsRuins Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »

people who grew up on speed racer are not part of the majority of the movie-going public anymore, they are too old.

Everybody who is between 20-45 grew up on Indiana Jones, it is not even remotley comparable
    Also, Speed Racer was an acquired taste. And I have never met anyone who has disliked the Indy flicks.

Ruins on
    ach.png
  • MegamaniacoMegamaniaco Madrid, Spain (again!)Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    There was a thread about Iron man somewhere, I'm sure about it... :P

Now, seriously: Here people are looking forward to Indy rather than Speed Racer; apart from the fact that Indy is generally more liked than the old series, the wachowsky bros have managed to lose all appeal (mainly gained thanks to Matrix) after movies like Matrix 2 or 3.

Megamaniaco on
    Steam ID: Megamaniaco // LoL summoner: Corcorigan (NA), Megamaniaco (EUW) // Hearthstone: Megamaniaco.2120

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm not altogether sure how popular Speed Racer would have been in the UK, to be honest. Does anyone from Blighty remember it at all? I think it may have been just before my time.

Wildcat on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

20? Last Crusade came out 19 years ago.

Anyway, I'm not entirely surprised Speed Racer sucks. These are the same idiots who wrote Assassins, Bound and the Matrix movies (and V, although I am not going to get into that). It's not like, to paraphrase David Cross, they one day ran around taking genius pills. Even their masterpiece was basically the CSI formula of taking a couple of previously-done concepts and throwing as much random shit as they could into it to make it look smart, when instead it was just ... not.

Crimsondude on
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Wildcat wrote: »
    I'm not altogether sure how popular Speed Racer would have been in the UK, to be honest. Does anyone from Blighty remember it at all? I think it may have been just before my time.
    They used to play it on Sunday mornings on channel 4 with shows like Jason and the Wheel Warriors and that other one that I'm fairly convinced was based in the Battletech universe. It was on at like 6am though and was shit, normally the only reason I watched it was because Transworld Sport was on after.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
    edited May 2008

Anyway, I'm not entirely surprised Speed Racer sucks. These are the same idiots who wrote Assassins, Bound and the Matrix movies (and V, although I am not going to get into that). It's not like, to paraphrase David Cross, they one day ran around taking genius pills. Even their masterpiece was basically the CSI formula of taking a couple of previously-done concepts and throwing as much random shit as they could into it to make it look smart, when instead it was just ... not.

I'm 21, and I saw Last Crusade at least 5 times as a child. Same with the other films.

Robos A Go Go on
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

I'm 21, and I saw Last Crusade at least 5 times as a child. Same with the other films.

yeah man, im 22, and i actually attempted to change my name in kindergarten to "Indiana" because i loved the films so much.

in hindsight, it probably wasn't a good idea for a 4 year old to watch a dudes heart get ripped out of his chest. but i turned out fine, so whatever

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
    edited May 2008
    The Last Crusade is one of the very first movies I can remember watching in a theatre

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2008
    Indiana Jones and Star Wars are things that any parent with good taste would encourage their kids to watch.

DJ Eebs on
    edited May 2008
    Except Temple of Doom, which hasn't aged well at all.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Indiana Jones and Star Wars are things that any parent with good taste would encourage their kids to watch.
    I understand what you're saying and I enjoy both series, but that could be argued. Violence isn't the biggest deal to me, but I'd rather not raise my hypothetical children on stories that don't take killing very seriously. Not to fault the films, but how many fuckers has Harrison Ford killed?

I think it's important to establish certain things early on in life, such as, "it's never okay to take a life."
    Ever.

Torso Boy on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I disagree about it never being alright to take a life, but that's probably more D&D faire.

I agree that we should be careful what messages are taught to children, however I grew up watching Aliens, Ghostbusters, Gremlins, and the Star Wars / Indiana Jones series, and with parents establishing what was real and what wasn't, I think I turned out reasonably well.

And in simple terms, if it comes down to me or some random asshole intent on doing me harm, I'm siding with me.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    edited May 2008
    I definitely don't disagree with you, Forar. Notice I said "okay," not "necessary."

A good example would be the distinction Iron Man made:
    He needed to kill Stane when he did.

Torso Boy on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Torso Boy wrote: »
    I understand what you're saying and I enjoy both series, but that could be argued. Violence isn't the biggest deal to me, but I'd rather not raise my hypothetical children on stories that don't take killing very seriously. Not to fault the films, but how many fuckers has Harrison Ford killed?

I think it's important to establish certain things early on in life, such as, "it's never okay to take a life."
    Ever.

Tell you what: you explain to me how you can say that, given the necessary existence of an armed military and police force, and we can talk parenting.

I'm not saying there aren't issues with showing kids stories that include killings, but it's a naive stance at best to suggest that there is never a morally justifiable homicide. How about defending your own life? Or defending the life of another person? What about defending yourself or another person from rape? How about defending your property? What's the line?

mattharvest on
    edited May 2008
    Oh please lets not turn it into one of those threads

lets talk about how when I was 5 I used to have to fast forward past the scene in Ghostbusters when the first Terrordog comes out of the statue.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It was the arms coming out of the couch that fucked with my head.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The first thing I remember seeing be it on TV or Movie is fucking Friday the 13th: The Series

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The Librarian ghost was pretty damned scary, and Poltergeist was messed up as a 7 year old.

On the topic of Iron Man, I've seen people recommend Armor Wars, Demon in a Bottle, Extremis and Hypervelocity trades. I've read the latter two and skimmed the former two, any others come to mind that are worth picking up?

Oh, aside from the Mandarin one that just came out.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    edited May 2008
    whenever the first Invincible Iron Man trade comes out get that

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I didn't like Extremis because I pretty much always hate it when comic book characters get OMG NEW GOD POWERS

Accualt on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Accualt wrote: »
    I didn't like Extremis because I pretty much always hate it when comic book characters get OMG NEW GOD POWERS

I think they've done a pretty impressive job keeping those powers from negatively impacting the stories told about Iron Man. In fact, I think it's one of the rare examples where the higher-powered version made more sense (I never liked the original Iron Man concept, frankly, because it never made sense to not build an entire army of those seats).

mattharvest on
    edited May 2008
    stories like Demon in a Bottle and Armor Wars and every other Iron Man story ever make it pretty clear why he dosen't build an army of them.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2008
    Extremis is pretty much a logical step forward for the character. Iron Man's supposed to represent the future, and "guy in a suit of robot armor" can only take you so far.

DJ Eebs on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I don't know, allowing him to move and react at these super speeds and access all of this information instantly. He's like Marvel's version of Superman now just with a harder to explain reason for being unstoppable.

He doesn't seem like a human in a robot suit anymore, which was always part of the appeal. Just like Batman wouldn't be as interesting of a character if he was bulletproof.

Accualt on
    edited May 2008
    What stories are you reading because I have never seen his extremis powers portrayed as completley unstoppable as you are making them out to be

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2008
    Maybe because he's restraining himself a lot, but
    We all saw what Ultron did with full access to Extremis

Megamaniaco on
    Steam ID: Megamaniaco // LoL summoner: Corcorigan (NA), Megamaniaco (EUW) // Hearthstone: Megamaniaco.2120

• bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    BigDes wrote: »
    Wildcat wrote: »
    They used to play it on Sunday mornings on channel 4 with shows like Jason and the Wheel Warriors and that other one that I'm fairly convinced was based in the Battletech universe. It was on at like 6am though and was shit, normally the only reason I watched it was because Transworld Sport was on after.

Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors!

Man, I was so into that show when I was 5.

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
    edited May 2008
    Thats Ultron

Ultron is powerful enough to take on the Avengers by himself even without Extremis

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2008
    Well, yeah, but he/she/it said something like "I've never had the processing power to complete myself; now I do".
    Anyway...the thing is that Tony is way more powerful now than the classic good 'ol drunk Stark.
    Not saying it's a bad thing (I kinda like the change), but he's definetly not only "a man in a robot power suit"

Megamaniaco on

• NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    im not sure a human brain can do what ultron can do.

basically isn't extremis kinda like cable and the infonet? as far as getting information that is. i really don't think it's too powerful, and in fact has been shown as a weakness in the latest SI issue.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
    edited May 2008
    Torso Boy wrote: »

Ever.

Tell you what: you explain to me how you can say that, given the necessary existence of an armed military and police force, and we can talk parenting.

I'm not saying there aren't issues with showing kids stories that include killings, but it's a naive stance at best to suggest that there is never a morally justifiable homicide. How about defending your own life? Or defending the life of another person? What about defending yourself or another person from rape? How about defending your property? What's the line?
    It is. I referred to it being okay, or to be clearer, good. A fitting macrocosm is the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki- something that is in no way right, but was a means to a positive end. It's a pretty academic distinction, but it becomes a bit more significant when you apply it to a topic like abortion. Something wrong can absolutely be justifyable- but it's still bad.

An understanding of that is what separates heroes from villains in stories; or balanced human beings from zealots and psychopaths IRL.

Last derail from me, I promise.

Also: I hope Narnia doesn't beat Iron Man. How could it, assuming most people saw the first one? What a waste of time.

Torso Boy on
    edited May 2008
    Accualt wrote: »
    I don't know, allowing him to move and react at these super speeds and access all of this information instantly. He's like Marvel's version of Superman now just with a harder to explain reason for being unstoppable.

He doesn't seem like a human in a robot suit anymore, which was always part of the appeal. Just like Batman wouldn't be as interesting of a character if he was bulletproof.

I think it'd be tougher to buy a man who is supposedly a genius engineer would settle for just being in a robot suit. When your whole schtick is technology, you can't stop at just a robot suit.

DJ Eebs on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Thats Ultron

Ultron is powerful enough to take on the Avengers by himself even without Extremis

but he can't stand up to Daredevil and a stick.

DD276-Stick01.jpg

DD276-Stick02.jpg

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg