As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

good xbox games

2»

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I give Marvel:UA a solid 'meh'. But I haven't tried it multiplayer and I hear that's where it's at. Too bad I'm the only person in my group of friends that has an XBox. :( Having to buy three more controllers makes me a sad panda.

Anyway, preliminary report: Dead Rising is pretty much what I expected with the exception of the photography element, which think is really cool. The intro bit while flying over the city was brilliant. It certainly captures the feel of classic zombie movies. I haven't played very far into it and have already been munched on, so it's not the easiest of games. The controls are a bit stiff and the animations can be wonky, but for $30 I think it's a good deal.

Eternal Sonata is absolutely gorgeous. Fantastic design and art direction. The characters are beautifully rendered (If you like the cel-shaded style) and have great emotion and body language. Combat is cool, although some things are a bit confusing. Still working out some stuff. After only 90 minutes of play, the only real stand-out feature is the artwork, but if it's like any other JRPG then I've got about 30 hours of play ahead of me to evaluate. Interesting premise, to be sure.

Really, if you like zombies and beat-em-ups, Dead Rising is good for it's price. It you like JRPGs and manga/anime style artwork, Eternal Sonata is great (It's $40, so a bit cheaper as well).

Nova_C on
  • PrecursorPrecursor Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Tiemler wrote: »
    We need to talk about some Marvel Ultimate Alliance, The Outfit, and Fight Night 3. Super cheap and yet completely awesome! All less that $20 and offer some serious play time. Had such a blast with the Outfit.

I'll have to check out The Outfit. I had written it off as WWII entrenchingtoolware.

Fight Night 3 seconded, and Ultimate Alliance is justified by the awesome intro. Everything else is a bonus.

"Soulless machine! How dare you strike the Son of Odin!"

The Outfit is good. There are huge flaws, like the inability to SAVE YOUR PROGRESS when playing with 2 players. But it's pretty awesome getting completely butchered, only to air drop a tank and end up destroying the Nazi badguys. Also the story is shat, but even with all that, still a good ole time.

I'd like to give M:UA a try. If people are up for it, we could start a [game on]. I remember someone tried to start one before but it fell through. The game is LONG and pretty boring unless you're playing on Hard.

Precursor on
    Quashdom.png
  • CarolinaBBQCarolinaBBQ Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Precursor wrote: »

The Outfit is good. There are huge flaws, like the inability to SAVE YOUR PROGRESS when playing with 2 players. But it's pretty awesome getting completely butchered, only to air drop a tank and end up destroying the Nazi badguys. Also the story is shat, but even with all that, still a good ole time.

I'd like to give M:UA a try. If people are up for it, we could start a [game on]. I remember someone tried to start one before but it fell through. The game is LONG and pretty boring unless you're playing on Hard.

Saving with 2 players in the outfit is pretty screwy. I believe that it is only solved by having both players signed in with their own accounts. Either way, its way too easy to screw up. That did piss me off too. However, I do believe there are some cheat codes to open up all levels, which shouldn't really mess up your gamerscore if you do it after completing the single campaign. But yeah.....bullshit. Playing with your little army men made it worth it though.

I'd love to play some Marvel....I'm stuck at Mandarin and cant get any buddies to blast through it with me. :(

CarolinaBBQ on
    Scri33le.png
  • A raptor!A raptor! Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    slash000 wrote: »
    a lot of words

I was gonna post some recommendations, but, yep, that's pretty much it, right there. The only further recommendation I can give is hook that shit up to the internet and download every demo you can get your hands on. I survived on demos for a good while.

And it just reminded me that for some reason Doom isn't avaliable in my country's XBLA. It makes no fucking sense, but there you go. :(

A raptor! on
    StrummerJoe.png1.png
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    A raptor! wrote: »
    And it just reminded me that for some reason Doom isn't avaliable in my country's XBLA. It makes no fucking sense, but there you go. :(

That'll teach you for not being American!

Demo's don't matter much when you get a pretty big collection of fun games for cheap since the 360 has been out for a while.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    On the topic of xbox games - how is Jade Empire for oxbox? Worth $8? My GameStop (yeah I know /shudder etc) has several copies for that low, low price and I was wondering if it was worth it.

freakish light on
  • Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    On the topic of xbox games - how is Jade Empire for oxbox? Worth $8? My GameStop (yeah I know /shudder etc) has several copies for that low, low price and I was wondering if it was worth it.

I never played it myself, but I was told that it was basically KotOR with a different skin on it. That said, if you care enough to get into an oxbox game at this point, then I'd say it's worth it.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I liked it despite some problems I had with it.

Couscous on
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I sort of missed the whole oxbox thing -- I barely used mine, and it didn't help that it had a faulty lens or something, and brand new games would show up as "dirty or damaged" and I'd have to wrestle with the thing for half an hour to get it to read anything. I'm sort of getting back into them with the 360 now, though, so I might go back and pick it up...

freakish light on
    edited May 2008
    I sort of missed the whole oxbox thing -- I barely used mine, and it didn't help that it had a faulty lens or something, and brand new games would show up as "dirty or damaged" and I'd have to wrestle with the thing for half an hour to get it to read anything. I'm sort of getting back into them with the 360 now, though, so I might go back and pick it up...

I hear you. I was fighting with my oXbox for a while before I got rid of it at the end of 2005. I'd completely forgotten about the old DVD drive issues that system went through. So if you're looking into picking up a few oXbox games, I guess it wouldn't be a terrible idea if you never got to play them. Especially since they're so cheap nowadays.

Just because I feel like it, I'm going to recommend a few oxbox titles that are well worth your time.

-The Bard's Tale
    -Chronicles of Riddick (not backwards compatible, however)
    -Fable
    -Hulk: Ultimate Destruction
    -all 3 Prince of Persia's (only the first of which is backwards compatible)
    -Silent Hill 4
    -KotOR 1 & 2

All well worth their current prices.

Triple B on
    edited May 2008
    I played Riddick and Fable on PC, I have Hulk: UD and all three PoP's for PS2. I actually managed to get through quite a bit of KotOR, though I hit a wall with something in the ancient temple (force scorpions? it's been a while). I wonder where my copy is, I might play through it again, along with KotOR 2. I might end up getting the PC version though, because I hear with mods the ending is considerably less broken. Bard's Tale I never touched, so it might be worth checking out.

Thanks for the recommendations.

freakish light on
    edited May 2008
    I played Riddick and Fable on PC, I have Hulk: UD and all three PoP's for PS2. I actually managed to get through quite a bit of KotOR, though I hit a wall with something in the ancient temple (force scorpions? it's been a while). I wonder where my copy is, I might play through it again, along with KotOR 2. I might end up getting the PC version though, because I hear with mods the ending is considerably less broken. Bard's Tale I never touched, so it might be worth checking out.

Meh. I guess it's tough to remember that just about every good XBox game got thrown onto PC as well.

Edit: Ever play Beyond Good & Evil?

Triple B on
    edited May 2008
    On PC, through GameTap. :D

freakish light on
    edited May 2008
    >_<

You a LOTR fan? If so, I strongly suggest trying The Third Age.

Triple B on
    edited May 2008
    My brother has it on GameCube, but I've never tried it. I might fire it up if I think about it.

Also, my GameStop has $30 GameCubes. I'm thinking about picking one up and playing through the stuff I missed on that one too. Hm.

freakish light on
    edited May 2008
    Plenty of must-plays on the 'Cube if you've never owned one, for sure.

Triple B on
    edited May 2008
    Well, it was always my brother's, and I never got around to getting games for it. I played through the great stuff, MP 1&2, Wind Waker (well... some of it), Rogue Squadron, etc, but I missed some gems like Eternal Darkness (which I got recently, omg is it ever cool). I should browse through and see what's worth playing on it before I drop the $$$ on a dead system.

freakish light on
    edited May 2008
    Resident Evil 4. If you haven't already played it on PS2, that is.

Triple B on
  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Well, it was always my brother's, and I never got around to getting games for it. I played through the great stuff, MP 1&2, Wind Waker (well... some of it), Rogue Squadron, etc, but I missed some gems like Eternal Darkness (which I got recently, omg is it ever cool). I should browse through and see what's worth playing on it before I drop the $$$ on a dead system.

If you don't want to put money on a dead system, you could get a Wii, which is backwards compatible with GC games.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • MasoniteMasonite Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Triple B wrote: »

I hear you. I was fighting with my oXbox for a while before I got rid of it at the end of 2005. I'd completely forgotten about the old DVD drive issues that system went through. So if you're looking into picking up a few oXbox games, I guess it wouldn't be a terrible idea if you never got to play them. Especially since they're so cheap nowadays.

Just because I feel like it, I'm going to recommend a few oxbox titles that are well worth your time.

-The Bard's Tale
    -Fable
    -Silent Hill 4
    -KotOR 1 & 2

You'd recommend SH4 and not 2 & 3? o_O

Masonite on
    edited May 2008

If you don't want to put money on a dead system, you could get a Wii, which is backwards compatible with GC games.

It's true, I play Eternal Darkness on my brother's Wii. I also don't want to drop $250 for it, supply issues notwithstanding.

I think I'll go for it, it's not even as much as one game and I can dig out all the old stuff for it.

freakish light on
  • MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Masonite wrote: »

-The Bard's Tale
    -Fable
    -Silent Hill 4
    -KotOR 1 & 2

Not enough lime in the world.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Masonite wrote: »

-The Bard's Tale
    -Fable
    -Silent Hill 4
    -KotOR 1 & 2

Not enough lime in the world.

Did 2 and 3 come on the original xbox?

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
    edited May 2008
    2 did, at least in Restless Dreams format. I'm sending it out on goozex today, actually. I can only assume 3 did too.

freakish light on
  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    OK, so I picked up Forza 2/Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2-pack for $16. As a fan of Gran Turismo, Forza is pretty cool. MUA reminds me a lot of X-Men: Legends. I'm sure it'll be a kickass game to play with other people.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
    edited May 2008
    2 did, at least in Restless Dreams format. I'm sending it out on goozex today, actually. I can only assume 3 did too.

If 3 did, it's not on the backwards compatibility list. And I played 2 on PS2, so I wasn't about to recommend it for Xbox. There's a method to my madness, you see.

Triple B on
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

If 3 did, it's not on the backwards compatibility list. And I played 2 on PS2, so I wasn't about to recommend it for Xbox. There's a method to my madness, you see.

Silent Hill 3 never came out for the Xbox. Silent Hill 2 did with additional content, which was then later rereleased on the PS2 in the Greatest Hits version.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • KenninatorKenninator Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I didn't want to make another thread, but what live games would you all recommend? I already have Rez, and am considering Castlevania: SOTN.

Kenninator on
  • Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Dead Rising: I found that after goofing around for the first 3 days just exploring, leveling up, and doing occasional boss fights, that I had much much more fun the second time through attempting the story mode, amongst other things.

other then that, what everyone else said

Asamof the Horrible on