Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Dwarf Fortress: The goblin slams into an obstacle and blows apart!

Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Games and Technology
So I heard new version came out on the 14th of July or something.

OP shameless stolen from wavecutter who stole it from Mayday's other thread. I will write an original OP once the sun has died.

Welcome to Dwarf Fortress!!
(stories of bloodshed and pressure plates)

Get it here: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/
Extract the files from the zip into the folder of your choice, then run dwarfort.exe. Simple!


A tutorial is available here: Your First Fortress
A very helpful Illustrated Fortress Mode Tutorial

Welcome to the mountainhome of the dwarves! Starting out with a hardy band of seven pioneers, you will be beset on all sides by the threat of starvation, exposure, rampant idiocy, inexperience, tantrums, monkey attacks, hostile goblins, kleptomaniacal kobolds, accidental drownings, those goddamn hippy elves, being set on fire, upper class nobles that will make lives hell for your peasantry, and the mortal enemies of the dwarves, elephants. ELEPHANTS! OH GOD THEY'RE IN THE FORTRESS!

So what's Dwarf Fortress? It's a rather bizarre little roguelike/ fantasy world generator / colony management sim hybrid. With lots of dead dwarves guaranteed.
DFascii.jpg


So you start out with a tiny band of 7 dwarves, a few wagons, mules, horses, and enough supplies to make sure you don't starve... maybe.
With a little luck (and if those goddamn monkeys dont steal all your food off the wagon again), your fortress will make it past the first winter. Or more likely it will collapse and you'll start up a new fortress, avoiding the mistakes of the first.

...before it all ends in a tide of blood and dwarf parts

And then you start AGAIN!



The ever helpful Dwarf Fortress wiki
The First G&T DF thread
The second G&T DF thread.

And the SA DF thread, the Goons have plenty of DF chatter too.
And of course THE EPIC SAGA OF BOATMURDERED which is a must-read.


FAQ
AAAAA LETTERS EVERYWHERE OH GOD HOW DO I DO STUFF?!
A few keys will come up a lot. Pressing these keys will bring up a yellow X cursor which you control using the arrow keys. PROTIP: use the keypad to move the cursor around- it's more comfortable.

Q - assigns orders at workshops and structures, or used to create rooms from a placed structure, like tables, beds, archery targets, etc, or to destroy them.
T - much like Q, but works for sTructures. Use this when you want to examine/destroy a structure that is not a workshop. Also useful for peeking at the contents of a workshop to see how cluttered it is.
V - Examines an individual dwarf, where you can look at their stats, gear, thoughts and alter their job list.
K - If you'd like to see if that U is an attacking Unicorn or a friendly hUman trader, this is the key you want. Pressing enter examines the object in greater detail (if any).
D - Designates an area for tasks. Hit enter to start dragging out a rectangle, enter to stop. Or hold down the mouse button and draw it in. Everything in this area will now be designated for whatever task you had selected, from Digging out rock, cutting down trees, or picking plants, or whatever else it might have been. Use this to dig out your dwarf-hole.

ALSO!
Z - Brings up your fortress report and tells you how depressingly low you are on food.
U - displays a list of all units on the map, along with current job. Useful for finding idlers and wild animals
< and > - Change the levevel displayed by one (up and down, respectively). Since you'll be using these a lot, it might be wise to remap the keys (I use / and * on the keypad). To do this, press ESC and use the "Key Bindings" option ("move/view cursor up (Z)" and "down (Z)" )

I built a bridge, but it looked ugly so I demolished it. The new one never gets built because of pathing errors!
Common mistake. Never cut off the fortress. The dwarf builders are trying to get to material/worksites on the other side of the river/chasm, but cant because there's no bridge anymore. Avoid this by always having spare bridges. If this has already happened, build stone blocks at your masonry workshop and use those to build your new bridge, ensuring that you're using accessible materials.

They sent a diplomat from the mountainhomes and he's killing all my dorfs! What kind of a diplomat is he?!
Aye, the outpost liaison who comes with the dwarven caravan is a delicate fellow. When he arrives, ensure that your outpost leader (use the N key to find him) has all jobs turned off, so that he has the time to meet the diplomat. Otherwise the poor guy will feel unaccepted and get miserable/insane/berserk.

It took me ages to figure out farming in the previous version. Now what?!
Now you can just farm to your heart's content over any soil/sand tile, with no need of irrigation. (To mine on rock tiles use the good old floodgate system).

How do I change the game resolution/settings/colours/etc?
In the data/init directory is init.txt, a well documented file which contains all sorts of DF settings.

Can I run this on a Mac?
User Sleep reports that Crossover works fine. I've no experience with this though.

I'd play this if only it had graphics
RARRRGH, but if you must, there's replacement tile and object graphics you can use along with install instructions on these pages:
http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Tilesets

People are also sometimes interested in the tilesets I'm using. You can get a precompiled version here.
http://mayday.w.staszic.waw.pl/df.htm

This game is running slooooooooow! I thought ASCII graphics don't need a fast PC?
Make sure your starting area is suitably small for your PC. If you're already in the middle of a game, it may also help to turn off weather and/or temperature in the data\init\init.txt file. There is also a possibility you have set an FPS_CAP in the very same file.

What happens if I do this?
Just try it first! It's no fun if we tell you that you would have doomed all your dwarves to a horrible agonizing death beforehand. No fun at all!
Besides, it just means you get to do it better next time.

How do I back up my save game?
A good idea, since the game is only in alpha, and does crash (rarely), but if it does, it can corrupt your entire world.
Make a copy of the data/save directory and keep it somewhere safe. To restore, delete your entire data/save directory and replace it with your copy. NOT DELETING IT FIRST WILL CAUSE ERRORS. For the backing up of save games, you can also go into the init.txt file (\data\init\init.txt) and set
[AUTOSAVE:NONE] to
[AUTOSAVE:SEASONAL]
and
[AUTOBACKUP:NO] to
[AUTOBACKUP:YES]
You can make the autosave yearly as well, and making autobackup set to yes will make each autosave a new save instead of overwriting your current one.

(This introduction was edited by SynthOr, Bahamut0, J3p, and MD.)

Endless_Serpents on
«13456761

Posts

  • ValkunValkun Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    carp.jpg o_O

    The in game carp are beginning to make sense.

  • XtarathXtarath Registered User
    edited May 2008
    corcorigan wrote: »
    This game left me behind... This "third dimension" thing confuses and infuriates me. I remember the good ol' days when there were only two dimensions and life was as sweet as a ripe peach on a Summers day...

    Just wait 'til the 4th dimension mode is added. You'll get to build a fortress in the year 1000 and 1051 at the same time, causing ripple effects that change the technology in the 1051 game as you play.

    Of course, by then, spiecal computers will have to be built just to play it.

    It might even have graphics by then.

    And then your dorfs will just fall in the river and drown despite being right next to land.

    NASA on the new craze, Dwarf Fortress

    "It started out as a joke, but now we have a healthy fear of carp, and anything more then 2 dimensions"

  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Xtarath wrote: »
    corcorigan wrote: »
    This game left me behind... This "third dimension" thing confuses and infuriates me. I remember the good ol' days when there were only two dimensions and life was as sweet as a ripe peach on a Summers day...

    Just wait 'til the 4th dimension mode is added. You'll get to build a fortress in the year 1000 and 1051 at the same time, causing ripple effects that change the technology in the 1051 game as you play.

    Of course, by then, spiecal computers will have to be built just to play it.

    It might even have graphics by then.

    And then your dorfs will just fall in the river and drown despite being right next to land.

    NASA on the new craze, Dwarf Fortress

    "It started out as a joke, but now we have a healthy fear of carp, and anything more then 2 dimensions"

    Oh man just think if you could launch space ships in Dwarf Fortress. Maybe a dwarf NASA. Stone centrifuges!

    DORFS IN SPAAAAACE!

    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • ElGamalElGamal __BANNED USERS
    edited May 2008
    Personally I can't wait till the 5th dimension. That way you can switch between multiple parallel universes of your fortress and watch them all fail from every possible catastrophe you could imagine.

    Irond Will wrote: »
    MKR wrote: »
    I limed an image once. Thousands died trying to subdue the beast.
    Yes, but "limeparty" wasn't substantially better than "lemonparty"
  • InfestedGnomeInfestedGnome Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I want there to be dorf minecart races donkey kong country style. I don't know how it would be presented, or if its even possible. All I know is that it would be fun as balls and I want it!

    IGsig.jpg
    AKA [PA]Ilovepandas :D
  • XtarathXtarath Registered User
    edited May 2008
    I do think we need a more kick ass title though. Maybe like Child cancels eat: caged?, or Thief! Protect the thread from the skulking filth!

  • The One Dark KnightThe One Dark Knight Registered User
    edited May 2008
    A better title would be 'goblin crossbowmen are total cunts that like slaughtering your legendary dwarves fuck this is the first time I have actually defaulted to a save fucking goblins'

    That might be a little long though.

    [END]
  • wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    God damn I guess I trained up some fuckin spartans. I have 6 dwarfs with wrestler, swords, armor, and shield stats up to legendary and full adamatine armor. They chewed through 25 fire spirits in less than 30 seconds with little to no injuries.

  • LawlzorLawlzor Registered User
    edited May 2008
    ANTVGM64 wrote: »
    I am scared that if I play this game it'll turn into an almost XCOM level of addiction.

    Very, very scared.

    I started playing this at roughly the same time I picked up x-com and I’m starting to get into them both, I’m hoping the addictions will cancel each other out.

    So about those cages, what happens when you pull the lever? Do the mechanisms and cage just disappear or what?

  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I really really want to do a Necromancer Fortress mod.

    I want to have Mages gaining skill in Necromancy, Evocation, etc, all the while meditating at magic circles for mana crystals.

    I want my undead servants plowing away at the hills, mining for secret lairs.

    I want skeletal warriors digging corpses up from the nearby town so I can increase my ranks.

    I want to ambush attacking Goblin Forces with undead dire wolves to add their souls to my horde.

    I want to slowly enslave the populace of the nearby human town, so my Vampires can feed at night before unleashing horrible, bloody fury.

    Is that so wrong?

    time to crash, the dawn is up, the sun gleems out glorious ps4 sunbeams and i can trade those sunbeams and do whatever i want with them.
  • LawlzorLawlzor Registered User
    edited May 2008
    KiTA wrote: »
    I really really want to do a Necromancer Fortress mod.

    I want to have Mages gaining skill in Necromancy, Evocation, etc, all the while meditating at magic circles for mana crystals.

    I want my undead servants plowing away at the hills, mining for secret lairs.

    I want skeletal warriors digging corpses up from the nearby town so I can increase my ranks.

    I want to ambush attacking Goblin Forces with undead dire wolves to add their souls to my horde.

    I want to slowly enslave the populace of the nearby human town, so my Vampires can feed at night before unleashing horrible, bloody fury.

    Is that so wrong?

    I was thinking of something more basic like integrating my tombs with my defenses so that goblins would have something truly terrifying to speak of when the name Luckytombs is bought up. The whole idea of making your own wizard tower and a cross between adventuring and fortress building works too.

  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    ahhhhh new thread threw me off, i was like OH NOES WHERE IS MUH DORF FORTRESS THRAED?!

  • bombcarbombcar Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    There is a native Mac version now.

  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Lawlzor wrote: »
    KiTA wrote: »
    I really really want to do a Necromancer Fortress mod.

    I want to have Mages gaining skill in Necromancy, Evocation, etc, all the while meditating at magic circles for mana crystals.

    I want my undead servants plowing away at the hills, mining for secret lairs.

    I want skeletal warriors digging corpses up from the nearby town so I can increase my ranks.

    I want to ambush attacking Goblin Forces with undead dire wolves to add their souls to my horde.

    I want to slowly enslave the populace of the nearby human town, so my Vampires can feed at night before unleashing horrible, bloody fury.

    Is that so wrong?

    I was thinking of something more basic like integrating my tombs with my defenses so that goblins would have something truly terrifying to speak of when the name Luckytombs is bought up. The whole idea of making your own wizard tower and a cross between adventuring and fortress building works too.

    I picture endgame magic being really fun. Endgame Earth Mages creating huge meteors and caverns in the fortress map, entombing sieges as they begin, Endgame Water Mages fill entire Chasms with water, Fire Mages create legions of Magma Golems, etc etc.

    I also picture making portals to elemental planes be the end-all be-all project for any would-be mage, or a nice natural disaster for dwarf forts to be built around. For example, an Unbound Earth Portal would be constantly spitting ore and rock out, so any tunnels you dig in the, say, 1 to 20 squares around it would fill in over time. An unbound water portal would flood an area of the map like an aquifer, turning a canyon into an impromptu lake, or causing huge waterfalls to spread under it.

    And, of course, all portals would bring with them all kinds of elementals of varying strengths, which would give you all kinds of neat stuff for killing them (Earth Elementals would shit gems, for example).

    My theory behind this would be mages could do this on accident (an Earth Mage might create one as he dies, for example) or intentionally during a siege...

    time to crash, the dawn is up, the sun gleems out glorious ps4 sunbeams and i can trade those sunbeams and do whatever i want with them.
  • BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User
    edited May 2008
    KiTA wrote: »
    Lawlzor wrote: »
    KiTA wrote: »
    I really really want to do a Necromancer Fortress mod.

    I want to have Mages gaining skill in Necromancy, Evocation, etc, all the while meditating at magic circles for mana crystals.

    I want my undead servants plowing away at the hills, mining for secret lairs.

    I want skeletal warriors digging corpses up from the nearby town so I can increase my ranks.

    I want to ambush attacking Goblin Forces with undead dire wolves to add their souls to my horde.

    I want to slowly enslave the populace of the nearby human town, so my Vampires can feed at night before unleashing horrible, bloody fury.

    Is that so wrong?

    I was thinking of something more basic like integrating my tombs with my defenses so that goblins would have something truly terrifying to speak of when the name Luckytombs is bought up. The whole idea of making your own wizard tower and a cross between adventuring and fortress building works too.

    I picture endgame magic being really fun. Endgame Earth Mages creating huge meteors and caverns in the fortress map, entombing sieges as they begin, Endgame Water Mages fill entire Chasms with water, Fire Mages create legions of Magma Golems, etc etc.

    I also picture making portals to elemental planes be the end-all be-all project for any would-be mage, or a nice natural disaster for dwarf forts to be built around. For example, an Unbound Earth Portal would be constantly spitting ore and rock out, so any tunnels you dig in the, say, 1 to 20 squares around it would fill in over time. An unbound water portal would flood an area of the map like an aquifer, turning a canyon into an impromptu lake, or causing huge waterfalls to spread under it.

    And, of course, all portals would bring with them all kinds of elementals of varying strengths, which would give you all kinds of neat stuff for killing them (Earth Elementals would shit gems, for example).

    My theory behind this would be mages could do this on accident (an Earth Mage might create one as he dies, for example) or intentionally during a siege...

    "Miner cancels dig: Beheld the underdark. Looked away."

    Any sufficiently advanced friendship is indistinguishable from magic.
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    KiTA wrote: »
    Lawlzor wrote: »
    KiTA wrote: »
    I really really want to do a Necromancer Fortress mod.

    I want to have Mages gaining skill in Necromancy, Evocation, etc, all the while meditating at magic circles for mana crystals.

    I want my undead servants plowing away at the hills, mining for secret lairs.

    I want skeletal warriors digging corpses up from the nearby town so I can increase my ranks.

    I want to ambush attacking Goblin Forces with undead dire wolves to add their souls to my horde.

    I want to slowly enslave the populace of the nearby human town, so my Vampires can feed at night before unleashing horrible, bloody fury.

    Is that so wrong?

    I was thinking of something more basic like integrating my tombs with my defenses so that goblins would have something truly terrifying to speak of when the name Luckytombs is bought up. The whole idea of making your own wizard tower and a cross between adventuring and fortress building works too.

    I picture endgame magic being really fun. Endgame Earth Mages creating huge meteors and caverns in the fortress map, entombing sieges as they begin, Endgame Water Mages fill entire Chasms with water, Fire Mages create legions of Magma Golems, etc etc.

    I also picture making portals to elemental planes be the end-all be-all project for any would-be mage, or a nice natural disaster for dwarf forts to be built around. For example, an Unbound Earth Portal would be constantly spitting ore and rock out, so any tunnels you dig in the, say, 1 to 20 squares around it would fill in over time. An unbound water portal would flood an area of the map like an aquifer, turning a canyon into an impromptu lake, or causing huge waterfalls to spread under it.

    And, of course, all portals would bring with them all kinds of elementals of varying strengths, which would give you all kinds of neat stuff for killing them (Earth Elementals would shit gems, for example).

    My theory behind this would be mages could do this on accident (an Earth Mage might create one as he dies, for example) or intentionally during a siege...

    "Miner cancels dig: Beheld the underdark. Looked away."


    And then a diety of the element used to make the portal would show up with a legion of angels and ghosts-dwarves of your past forts and keell youu for this act against the very fabric of the universe!


    Adding races to this game is great fun, not to mention making adventure mode more interesting. Currently I only have hobbits, but I might add a bunch of 'em quickly today.

    Their first king was called Mudung Squarelocks. :3 Hobbity
    Ido Muffintwinkle is the current king. I think the names stem from giving them the [GOOD] tag.

    Hobbot gods on show, because they fit so well:
    -Shethbah the Lacy Oracle, depicted as a male hobbit, associated with inspiration and painting.
    -Apap the Leafy Brains, depicted as a female hobbit, associated with fish, fishing and scholarship.
    -Irol, depicted as a male hobbit, associated with travelers, festivals and fertility.
    :]

  • GenericFanGenericFan Registered User
    edited May 2008
    The real question here is how well do they get terribly torn to pieces in some vicious fight with what would seem to be a harmless animal?

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wabbitehwabbiteh Registered User
    edited May 2008
    Xtarath wrote: »
    I do think we need a more kick ass title though. Maybe like Child cancels eat: caged?, or Thief! Protect the thread from the skulking filth!

    I approve of the first one.

    Dwarf Fortress or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Butchering Kittens.
    EDIT: Something is wrong with the verb tenses or something in that sentence, but I can't figure out how to fix it without butchering the reference to the title. :(

  • EdgieEdgie TampaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Why has no one done a Let's Play of DF yet?

  • GenericFanGenericFan Registered User
    edited May 2008
    Somebody did one in SE++ recently but it ended after one update with him playing adventure mode and kiling the Mayor only to get beat up or something.

    But yeah, a real long good one or maybe a community fortress would be rad.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    GenericFan wrote: »
    Somebody did one in SE++ recently but it ended after one update with him playing adventure mode and kiling the Mayor only to get beat up or something.

    But yeah, a real long good one or maybe a community fortress would be rad.

    THIS.. IS.. BOATMURDER!!


    I don't think any lets play dorfs will top that one.

    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    GenericFan wrote: »
    Somebody did one in SE++ recently but it ended after one update with him playing adventure mode and kiling the Mayor only to get beat up or something.

    But yeah, a real long good one or maybe a community fortress would be rad.

    I tried, but yeah, I think I had a whopping 9 pictures, 4 of which were me getting raped.


    But I tore that fuckers eyes out, and that faggot will never forget

    sig-1.jpg
  • wabbitehwabbiteh Registered User
    edited May 2008
    There's a bloodline game going on in SE++ right now.

    I guess DF's Let's Play ended up being bloodline games. Which isn't really a bad thing, but it could be entertaining to do more of a group-choice thing.

  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Drowning on his own blood has been the fate of many a dwarf in my adventures as well. I never seem to get past the first couple towns, there's always a crossbowman somewhere.

    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • GenericFanGenericFan Registered User
    edited May 2008
    Why are crossbows so ungodly powerful?

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    GenericFan wrote: »
    The real question here is how well do they get terribly torn to pieces in some vicious fight with what would seem to be a harmless animal?

    I'll have to do tests, I'm not sure. However, elite macehobbits are as good as any other.

  • NiqleNiqle Registered User
    edited May 2008
    Damn it! Every time I get away from this game you guys and your threads pull me back in. The last time I played this I spent a few years training my military and my legendary miner/wrestler SOMEHOW got his leg lopped off and went stark raving mad and died outside of his tomb I had made.

    I was so pissed. He was in full adamantine kit too..and they were training with wooden weapons (after they had all gotten experience with shields).

    I hope I'm not alone in using useless peasants that have no job that I need done as an early sort of dwarven meat shield against wildlife and goblin crossbowmen right? MOST of them survive until my legendary wrestler and proficient marksdwarf arrives and fires bolts that send goblins flying 20 tiles (as she holds her baby in her other hand). Badass I tell you.

    KalTorak wrote: »
    The Blood God is unamused by your puny antics of food preservation. If you're not scarfing down arugula and cucumber slices in midair while attempting that cordless bungee jump, you're on your own.
  • VicVic Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    My latest fortress is going great, finally I have filled in almost all the spaces in my industries and made the fortress into a self-sustaining military machine. The four levels high outer wall is complete, which will hopefully save me from the never-ending goblin ambushes that have so far claimed four dwarves including two of my starting ones and two legendaries.

    One member of my newly formed axedwarf unit has managed to get a yellow wound in his spine. I am plotting his demise, but I cannot think of a good way to kill him since he will not leave his bed. The best plan I can think of is digging a deep shaft beneath his bed and then dig away the squares around it, causing a cave-in.

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The hobbits of The Righteous Coalition were different from the tales sung by that old drunk Kedcatten.
    dwa1.png

    My vision blurred. Well, I thought, perhaps I should...help him out? He just kept praising it. Yes.
    dwa2.png
    What happened? WHAT HAVE YOU MADE ME DO?

  • wabbitehwabbiteh Registered User
    edited May 2008
    I just spent a minute straight laughing at that. It's far better when you don't have any context, so it can be assumed he just ripped off his own head for no reason.
    Makes me wish I learned how to draw... My MS Paint depiction fails to deliver.

  • Tim JamesTim James Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Xtarath wrote: »
    I do think we need a more kick ass title though. Maybe like Child cancels eat: caged?, or Thief! Protect the thread from the skulking filth!
    We had a cancel one a few threads ago, and the latter is not absurdist enough.

    Hmm.. what's a goofy dwarf name?

    sig.gif
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yeah the thread title, Mac'hmm.

    What about HammerLord of the Flies?

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Tim James wrote: »
    Xtarath wrote: »
    I do think we need a more kick ass title though. Maybe like Child cancels eat: caged?, or Thief! Protect the thread from the skulking filth!
    We had a cancel one a few threads ago, and the latter is not absurdist enough.

    Hmm.. what's a goofy dwarf name?

    A goofy name? Hm. Chuck Berry? Pacman? Boris? Scuttlebum?

  • Tim JamesTim James Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Tim James wrote: »
    Xtarath wrote: »
    I do think we need a more kick ass title though. Maybe like Child cancels eat: caged?, or Thief! Protect the thread from the skulking filth!
    We had a cancel one a few threads ago, and the latter is not absurdist enough.

    Hmm.. what's a goofy dwarf name?

    A goofy name? Hm. Chuck Berry? Pacman? Boris? Scuttlebum?
    No, a goofy Dwarf Fortress name. Not too long. Because my suggestion is:

    Dwarf Fortress: [name] admired a fine trap recently.

    Or sublime.

    [EDIT] Maybe just Dwarf Fortress: He admired a sublime trap recently

    Hmm..

    sig.gif
  • Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Vic wrote: »
    My latest fortress is going great, finally I have filled in almost all the spaces in my industries and made the fortress into a self-sustaining military machine. The four levels high outer wall is complete, which will hopefully save me from the never-ending goblin ambushes that have so far claimed four dwarves including two of my starting ones and two legendaries.

    Four high? What's the point of that? Surely a one-high wall is equally effective at stopping things and takes a lot less b -> shift+c -> *scroll scroll scroll* -> enter than four stories. Or is there some epic megabeast that can just step over a three-high wall that you're anticipating?

    I just want my marksdwarves to be able to shoot from battlements. I built a lovely little above-ground fort guarding my entrance stairway with two moats and some battlements, only to find that apparently dwarves can't shoot between Z-levels. Or if they can, they won't for me D:

    Spoiler:
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Oh I see Tim James, yeah, well.

    Scuttlebum is a good name for a dwarf.

  • Tim JamesTim James Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Please, call me Tim. ;-)

    Thinking about this some more (I spend so much time thinking about DF thread titles), I think Dwarf Fortress: He has admired a fine trap lately would be the best. The "has admired...lately" gives you that not-quite-right feel about the auto-gen English sentences, the "fine" qualifier gives it a simple, folksy feel, and the trap provides both the absurdity of dwarven living and the excitement of killing goblins and kobolds.

    Thoughts?

    sig.gif
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Tim James wrote: »
    Please, call me Tim. ;-)

    Thinking about this some more (I spend so much time thinking about DF thread titles), I think Dwarf Fortress: He has admired a fine trap lately would be the best. The "has admired...lately" gives you that not-quite-right feel about the auto-gen English sentences, the "fine" qualifier gives it a simple, folksy feel, and the trap provides both the absurdity of dwarven living and the excitement of killing goblins and kobolds.

    Thoughts?

    Man, I don't know Tim, I just don't know. You put across some interesting points. Oh man. Oh man. If no one else puts a good idea out by tomorrow I'll make something like that the title. For a week, until I just change the thread title to Dwarf Fortress: Chilling wit' mah bitches.

«13456761
Sign In or Register to comment.