As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I need to HACK and I need to SLASH!

Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in Games and Technology
Can somebody please recommend a good hack'n'slash game in the vein of Diablo?

Here are things I'm looking forever:

+ Story!
+ Pretty Graphics! (I would love to have something that takes advantage of my powerful PC)
+ Online Play (Hopefully, THRIVING?)
+ Good, solid game play (I guess this should be obvious! :D)

Please help, I have a craving and I need to satisfy.

Regicid3 on

• ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Mythos, Sacred or Hellgate: London?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Give TitanQuest a shot as well. I didn't really like it all that much, but it might be right up your alley.

urahonky on
  • AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Age of Conan just came out, I think. That might be along the lines of what you're looking for. It is an MMO, though, so be fairly warned.

Atheraal on
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Titan Quest? Not sure if it fits the mold exactly, never played it.

freakish light on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    DMC4 is coming to PC, at a date only designated as the very nebulous 'soon'.

Local H Jay on
  • EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    2495553551_222ee28b07_o.gif

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Mythos, Sacred or Hellgate: London?

Mythos is closed beta currently, I want to so badly. I tried the Hellgate demo which I guess is shocking according to some people in the Hellgate thread so I am thinking about picking it up. I have never heard of Sacred before, I'll look it up.

I'm downloading the Titan Quest demo on Steam now. =)

Regicid3 on
    edited May 2008

I played the demo on 360. I was not crazy about it.

Regicid3 on
    edited May 2008
    Just remember, the HG:L demo is TERRIBLE compared to the real thing. Take that for what it's worth.

urahonky on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Regicid3 wrote: »

I played the demo on 360. I was not crazy about it.

Too bad, easily my personal favorite of the genre (certainly beats Dynasty Warriors....again...)
    and OH GOD REBOOT.
    For the longest time I thought that was I a show I made up.
    Then someone on this forum talked about and I knew I wasn't lying to myself. It existed!

Local H Jay on
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Titan Quest.

Seriously.

I actually like it more than the Diablos, even though I havn't had time to play it recently.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    edited May 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    Just remember, the HG:L demo is TERRIBLE compared to the real thing. Take that for what it's worth.

That's what I heard and I kind of enjoyed the demo so it does get me excited.

Regicid3 on
    edited May 2008

That's what I heard and I kind of enjoyed the demo so it does get me kind of excited.

Yeah the demo was basically pre-beta code. I don't think they used release patches or anything like that. So basically it was pretty stripped of everything cool.

urahonky on
    edited May 2008
    It is the first game that I played where I thought the transition from first person to third actually worked well.

Regicid3 on
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Also keep in mind that the Titan Quest demo is apparently not optimized very well and doesn't run as nicely as the full game.

I like the game, but I haven't made it very far.

SteevL on
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Icewind Dale and Icewind Dale 2.

There is hacking and slashing and dungeon crawling and such.

Also, they run on the Infinity Engine (aka The Best Engine Ever).

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Too Human when it comes out looks like the best iteration of an action RPG on the console yet from a western developer.

devoir on
  • PuddingSenatorPuddingSenator Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Man, Hellgate: London was one of the biggest disappointments I have ever faced as a gamer. It was just that awful. I mean, I haven't played it in a while, but idk how it could have been improved, I really liked almost nothing about that game (I was a huge Diablo 2 fan).

Titan Quest is fantastic though. If you're looking for something in the vein of Diablo 2, Titan Quest is basically D2 in 3D and transplanted into Greek mythology. If you're looking for something revolutionary, TQ is not it, but what it does, it does well.

Mythos I'm dying to play too. Open beta plz?

PuddingSenator on
  • redstormpopcornredstormpopcorn Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Man, Hellgate: London was one of the biggest disappointments I have ever faced as a gamer. It was just that awful. I mean, I haven't played it in a while,
    Give it another shot; the patches have made some significant improvements.

redstormpopcorn on
    emot-kamina.gifBELIEVE IN YOU, WHO BELIEVES IN YOURSELF emot-kamina.gif
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Man, Hellgate: London was one of the biggest disappointments I have ever faced as a gamer. It was just that awful. I mean, I haven't played it in a while, but idk how it could have been improved, I really liked almost nothing about that game (I was a huge Diablo 2 fan).

Titan Quest is fantastic though. If you're looking for something in the vein of Diablo 2, Titan Quest is basically D2 in 3D and transplanted into Greek mythology. If you're looking for something revolutionary, TQ is not it, but what it does, it does well.

Mythos I'm dying to play too. Open beta plz?

You're disappointed with Hellgate? I was hyped into getting the lifetime subscription, on top of one day shipping for the collector's edition, so imagine how I feel. I think one of the problems with the game is the incredibly boring, drab, and repetitive environments. The level design just felt weak, and it's far from exciting. Of course, it may be worth picking up on the cheap, but I DO NOT recommend subscribing to it.

Now Mythos, on the other hand, is absolutely fantastic. I believe Mythos started off as a way for Flagship to test their network, and now it's being turned into a big project. Once it's past beta stage, it'll be still be completely free. The open beta is coming soon, so it's definitely worth watching. I've been in the closed beta pretty much since day one and it just keeps getting better; they're even going to open up the game world instead of it being instanced!

Sacred was fun, too, although the plot is generic and the online community probably isn't thriving. Heck, when last I played it online, it was just full of hackers with cheated gear. I did like it, though, as it has a huge, completely open game world with hundreds of side-quests. I think the expansion brought the number of side-quests up to around 600. The classes are interesting and you could even make your own skills, and with a buddy it's a blast going through co-op.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Capcom PC ports can be described as "abominable at best".

DarkPrimus on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Considering how bad the actual game is the demo must give you hepatitis or something to be any worse.

-SPI- on
    edited May 2008
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Considering how bad the actual game is the demo must give you hepatitis or something to be any worse.

Okay, bagging on a game you haven't played recently is pointless, considering the fact that a lot has changed about the game.

devoir on
  • Saint JusticeSaint Justice Mercenary Mah-vel Baybee!!!Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    When you pick up HGL, let us know. You can play with us in the Broken Machine Guild.

Saint Justice on
    Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul. ~ Tycho
    edited May 2008
    devoir wrote: »

Okay, bagging on a game you haven't played recently is pointless, considering the fact that a lot has changed about the game.
    They patched out the dull repetitive environments, boring weapons, annoying characters that ruin the atmosphere, dull talent trees with lack of respecs and the complete lack of anything interesting in the world?

-SPI- on
  • EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Can somebody please recommend a good hack'n'slash game in the vein of Diablo?

Here are things I'm looking forever:

+ Story!
    + Pretty Graphics! (I would love to have something that takes advantage of my powerful PC)
    + Online Play (Hopefully, THRIVING?)
    + Good, solid game play (I guess this should be obvious! :D)

Please help, I have a craving and I need to satisfy.

Titan Quest + Expansion is the best post-Diablo 2 hack-and-slash I've played yet. The only issue is that it runs very poorly on machines that aren't past the recommended requirements (you end up with massive rubber-banding (which is where the game speed drops to near nothing, then suddenly increases to triple or quadruple speed), a nasty bug that THQ wouldn't allow Iron Lore to patch because it would be too expensive).

The story is about as engrossing as Diablo 2's, but the game is certainly pretty, there's some fairly good online communities out there (although the online is as over-hacked as Diablo 1 or Diablo 2 open), and the gameplay is fucking rock solid. It's Diablo 2 with HAVOK PHYSICS!

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
    edited May 2008

They patched out the dull repetitive environments, boring weapons, annoying characters that ruin the atmosphere, dull talent trees with lack of respecs and the complete lack of anything interesting in the world?

They've added more environments, more weapons, changed the characters that a vocal, petty minority had issues, with, added respecs, rebalanced a lot of the skills and added a whole new area.

devoir on
    edited May 2008

They've added more environments, more weapons, changed the characters that a vocal, petty minority had issues, with, added respecs, rebalanced a lot of the skills and added a whole new area.
    All for free players?

-SPI- on
    edited May 2008
    Everything except Stonehenge. So would you please stop shitting over a game because you think it's cool to hate?

devoir on
  • GreenleafGreenleaf Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It IS cool to hate.

Greenleaf on
    edited May 2008
    I'm not shitting on it because it's cool to, I'm giving an honest opinion of a game I bought and played and uninstalled because it was dull and crappy. I'll give it another chance, but if it still sucks I'm not going to pretend it doesn't.

See, you got me to reinstall. So stop being so overly defensive and angry at me. :P

edit- Ah fuck it, some games don't deserve second chances. Almost 3 hours of patching and it downgrading itself and then forcing manual patches and this shit brings up an error message. Fuck Hellgate, fuck those lazy Flagship guys and fuck you for making me install this crap again Devoir. The game sucks, get over it.

-SPI- on
    edited May 2008
    You would have looked like less of a prick if you had said it was bad at launch, which no one argues it wasn't, rather than saying it was currently a shit game without any idea of what had been changed.

devoir on
  • syrionsyrion Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Roguelikes really push those text-rendering cards to new levels.

syrion on
  • TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Kind of in the same vein, what do ya'll think of the Dungeon Siege games?

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • SuckafishSuckafish Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    It has been said, but Titan Quest + expansion. I don't like the mythology setting as much as the world of Diablo, but everything else about the game is awesome. Mythos is great, but better to wait for the actual release IMO.

Suckafish on
  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    MYTHOS

Dude, I am so sorry that I can't get you into the beta. Did you put your e-mail in at www.mythos.com?

From the looks of things, they're going to re-do the three current "zones" (think: acts from Diablo 2) and turn them into an open world, like a more traditional MMO, from the way they currently are (which is completely instanced). My guess is that after a bit of testing in the closed beta, they'll head to open beta. So, I dunno, maybe two months? I know it's terrible to hear, but Mythos will be well worth the wait.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I liked the DS games, the 'use it and it goes up' skill system appeals to me more than a typical D&D system.

Arrath on
    edited May 2008
    I put the email in for Mythos yesterday.

I just finished the Titan Quest demo and I had no problems running it. My machine is a beast, I ran everything on High at 1920x1200. Anyways, it was amazing. I had a lot of fun with it and I am probably going to pick it up later today (when I get paid).

It was really good.

Iron Lore is dead, aren't they?

=(

Regicid3 on
  • EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I put the email in for Mythos yesterday.

I just finished the Titan Quest demo and I had no problems running it. My machine is a beast, I ran everything on High at 1920x1200. Anyways, it was amazing. I had a lot of fun with it and I am probably going to pick it up later today (when I get paid).

It was really good.

Iron Lore is dead, aren't they?

=(

Sadly, yes. Titan Quest plus expansion sold like total crap, despite being totally fuckawesome. Original IP + no advertising + competing with Blizzard... Not a recipe for PC success. Fortunately, STEAM prevents us from losing gems like Titan Quest <3. Now if only Planescape and Fallout made it on there :D

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
    edited May 2008
    If I bought the game on Steam, I would be able to connect to Hamachi servers and such, right? I have seen it in the Target that I work at, I'll probably check there first before buying it because hard copies are a lot of fun!

Regicid3 on