As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dwarf Fortress: The goblin slams into an obstacle and blows apart!

• Options
    wabbitehwabbiteh Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Xtarath wrote: »
    I do think we need a more kick ass title though. Maybe like Child cancels eat: caged?, or Thief! Protect the thread from the skulking filth!

I approve of the first one.

Dwarf Fortress or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Butchering Kittens.
    EDIT: Something is wrong with the verb tenses or something in that sentence, but I can't figure out how to fix it without butchering the reference to the title. :(

wabbiteh on
  • Options
    EdgieEdgie TampaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Why has no one done a Let's Play of DF yet?

Edgie on
  • Options
    GenericFanGenericFan Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Somebody did one in SE++ recently but it ended after one update with him playing adventure mode and kiling the Mayor only to get beat up or something.

But yeah, a real long good one or maybe a community fortress would be rad.

GenericFan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    GenericFan wrote: »
    Somebody did one in SE++ recently but it ended after one update with him playing adventure mode and kiling the Mayor only to get beat up or something.

THIS.. IS.. BOATMURDER!!

I don't think any lets play dorfs will top that one.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008

I tried, but yeah, I think I had a whopping 9 pictures, 4 of which were me getting raped.

But I tore that fuckers eyes out, and that faggot will never forget

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    There's a bloodline game going on in SE++ right now.

I guess DF's Let's Play ended up being bloodline games. Which isn't really a bad thing, but it could be entertaining to do more of a group-choice thing.

wabbiteh on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Drowning on his own blood has been the fate of many a dwarf in my adventures as well. I never seem to get past the first couple towns, there's always a crossbowman somewhere.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    GenericFanGenericFan Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Why are crossbows so ungodly powerful?

GenericFan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The real question here is how well do they get terribly torn to pieces in some vicious fight with what would seem to be a harmless animal?

I'll have to do tests, I'm not sure. However, elite macehobbits are as good as any other.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    NiqleNiqle Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Damn it! Every time I get away from this game you guys and your threads pull me back in. The last time I played this I spent a few years training my military and my legendary miner/wrestler SOMEHOW got his leg lopped off and went stark raving mad and died outside of his tomb I had made.

I was so pissed. He was in full adamantine kit too..and they were training with wooden weapons (after they had all gotten experience with shields).

I hope I'm not alone in using useless peasants that have no job that I need done as an early sort of dwarven meat shield against wildlife and goblin crossbowmen right? MOST of them survive until my legendary wrestler and proficient marksdwarf arrives and fires bolts that send goblins flying 20 tiles (as she holds her baby in her other hand). Badass I tell you.

Niqle on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    My latest fortress is going great, finally I have filled in almost all the spaces in my industries and made the fortress into a self-sustaining military machine. The four levels high outer wall is complete, which will hopefully save me from the never-ending goblin ambushes that have so far claimed four dwarves including two of my starting ones and two legendaries.

One member of my newly formed axedwarf unit has managed to get a yellow wound in his spine. I am plotting his demise, but I cannot think of a good way to kill him since he will not leave his bed. The best plan I can think of is digging a deep shaft beneath his bed and then dig away the squares around it, causing a cave-in.

Vic on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    The hobbits of The Righteous Coalition were different from the tales sung by that old drunk Kedcatten.
    dwa1.png

My vision blurred. Well, I thought, perhaps I should...help him out? He just kept praising it. Yes.
    dwa2.png
    What happened? WHAT HAVE YOU MADE ME DO?

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I just spent a minute straight laughing at that. It's far better when you don't have any context, so it can be assumed he just ripped off his own head for no reason.
    Makes me wish I learned how to draw... My MS Paint depiction fails to deliver.

wabbiteh on
  • Options
    Tim JamesTim James Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I do think we need a more kick ass title though. Maybe like Child cancels eat: caged?, or Thief! Protect the thread from the skulking filth!
    We had a cancel one a few threads ago, and the latter is not absurdist enough.

Hmm.. what's a goofy dwarf name?

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Yeah the thread title, Mac'hmm.

What about HammerLord of the Flies?

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Tim James wrote: »

A goofy name? Hm. Chuck Berry? Pacman? Boris? Scuttlebum?

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

A goofy name? Hm. Chuck Berry? Pacman? Boris? Scuttlebum?
    No, a goofy Dwarf Fortress name. Not too long. Because my suggestion is:

Dwarf Fortress: [name] admired a fine trap recently.

Or sublime.

[EDIT] Maybe just Dwarf Fortress: He admired a sublime trap recently

Hmm..

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Vic wrote: »
    My latest fortress is going great, finally I have filled in almost all the spaces in my industries and made the fortress into a self-sustaining military machine. The four levels high outer wall is complete, which will hopefully save me from the never-ending goblin ambushes that have so far claimed four dwarves including two of my starting ones and two legendaries.

Four high? What's the point of that? Surely a one-high wall is equally effective at stopping things and takes a lot less b -> shift+c -> *scroll scroll scroll* -> enter than four stories. Or is there some epic megabeast that can just step over a three-high wall that you're anticipating?

I just want my marksdwarves to be able to shoot from battlements. I built a lovely little above-ground fort guarding my entrance stairway with two moats and some battlements, only to find that apparently dwarves can't shoot between Z-levels. Or if they can, they won't for me D:

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Oh I see Tim James, yeah, well.

Scuttlebum is a good name for a dwarf.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Please, call me Tim. ;-)

Thinking about this some more (I spend so much time thinking about DF thread titles), I think Dwarf Fortress: He has admired a fine trap lately would be the best. The "has admired...lately" gives you that not-quite-right feel about the auto-gen English sentences, the "fine" qualifier gives it a simple, folksy feel, and the trap provides both the absurdity of dwarven living and the excitement of killing goblins and kobolds.

Thoughts?

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Please, call me Tim. ;-)

Thinking about this some more (I spend so much time thinking about DF thread titles), I think Dwarf Fortress: He has admired a fine trap lately would be the best. The "has admired...lately" gives you that not-quite-right feel about the auto-gen English sentences, the "fine" qualifier gives it a simple, folksy feel, and the trap provides both the absurdity of dwarven living and the excitement of killing goblins and kobolds.

Thoughts?

Man, I don't know Tim, I just don't know. You put across some interesting points. Oh man. Oh man. If no one else puts a good idea out by tomorrow I'll make something like that the title. For a week, until I just change the thread title to Dwarf Fortress: Chilling wit' mah bitches.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    No offense to the individual that created the last thread title, but something bothered me about it. Maybe it was the lack of colon. Or the witty zinger was put in quotes. Or that the name, Toady One, grates on me more than a thousand 13-year-old-kid handles on Xbox Live. Excellent tribute to the man, though.

I'll stop being so anal and hypersensitive now.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Let it go Tim, that thread is dead.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    CalenthCalenth Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

One member of my newly formed axedwarf unit has managed to get a yellow wound in his spine. I am plotting his demise, but I cannot think of a good way to kill him since he will not leave his bed. The best plan I can think of is digging a deep shaft beneath his bed and then dig away the squares around it, causing a cave-in.

You could try walling off his bed and just waiting till he dies of starvation/thirst.

Calenth on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Might be too long, but how 'bout "Dwarf Fortress: On the fortress is an image of a Dwarf Fortress in dwarf bone"

... I got nuttin'.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I was debating using a engraving title Sorenson. Some, um, ho hum.

What about, "Oddum has admired a tastefully arranged corpse lately."?

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    Four high? What's the point of that? Surely a one-high wall is equally effective at stopping things and takes a lot less b -> shift+c -> *scroll scroll scroll* -> enter than four stories. Or is there some epic megabeast that can just step over a three-high wall that you're anticipating?

Walls four stories high are more epic.

xzzy on
  • Options
    hmxmosshmxmoss Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Dwarf Fortress: Explosive Flaming Cat Fury

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Mr Ray wrote: »

I just want my marksdwarves to be able to shoot from battlements. I built a lovely little above-ground fort guarding my entrance stairway with two moats and some battlements, only to find that apparently dwarves can't shoot between Z-levels. Or if they can, they won't for me D:

The reason I built it four high was that my fortress was built in the side of a mountain, and I did not want goblins to take potshots from the hills above my wall. It also allowed me to build barracks and weapon stores inside the wall towers. And finally it is more cool than a 1 high wall. I am going to put some catapults on the top, purely for aesthetic reasons.

I'll try to figure out how to upload the fortress onto that cool map site when the wall is finally completed.

Vic on
  • Options
    SterlingSterling Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    My dwarfs have suddenly all turned into guards except for my farmers.

I'm in my first spring. I have seven dwarfs. I cannot stop them being guards. They're not activated and they're doing regular jobs, but... guards.

Sterling on
  • Options
    DudeMaYnDudeMaYn Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So I started a fortress last night in a Terrifying Environment.

It didn't seem all that terrifying, with only fire imps showing on the unit list and an ogre somewhere else on the map (who later disappeared from the list). So I didn't think anything of it.

Then an imp jumps out of the volcano and proceeds to open a can up on a dog, a hammerdwarf, and another poor soul that I recruited to try and bring it down. I ended up recruiting my woodcutter who proceeded to hack the freaking thing to pieces.

Then the harpies came...

That whole fortress was a big D:

Edit:
    Oh yeah, in the fortress I started after that, everything seemed to be going really well. Then I noticed that my miner keeps falling unconscious. Turns out a freaking raccoon ripped out his eye, so now he runs around and passes out every once in a while for a second or two.

DudeMaYn on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    InfestedGnomeInfestedGnome Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Bah I don't know what to do. My current fortress is a pretty big success, but the only cool stuff happens when sieges/megabeasts come, and that doesn't happen very often because it's running at 15 fps. I don't know whether to start a new fort and abandon all that I have created, or continue drudging along until something cool happens.

InfestedGnome on
    IGsig.jpg
    AKA [PA]Ilovepandas :D
  • Options
    Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    harpies =/= good omens.

Anything that flies, like giant undead eagles are the worst.

Dignified Pauper on
    PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Options
    RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    sworddorfum2.jpg

I met my old adventurer with a new one. This went on for several minutes.

edit: now he's re-introducing himself D:

RichardTauber on
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So... the caravans filled with goodies...

I am not so much about trade as I am about killing them all and taking the goods for myself, but I am also not really about getting physical with swords and axes and all that stuff.

Instead is it possible to have the trade depot surrounded by walls with two floodgates and then fill the room with water, drown the lot of them and take the slightly soggy goodies from there fat bloated water logged corpses?

I would like to know if these options are available.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    RedThornRedThorn Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Wait, what? "Bane of Kutsmob Tickcurse, whose potency I question after his ineffective thrusts"?
    I can't decide if that's really creepy, or really really awesome.

RedThorn on
    League of Legends: Drokmir
    Steam: Drokmir
  • Options
    CalenthCalenth Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    DudeMaYn wrote: »
    Oh yeah, in the fortress I started after that, everything seemed to be going really well. Then I noticed that my miner keeps falling unconscious. Turns out a freaking raccoon ripped out his eye, so now he runs around and passes out every once in a while for a second or two.

How do you tell what specific injuries your dwarves have? the "wound" menu doesn't seem general enough, and I know they can get blinded etc. but all it seems to show is "head wound, dark brown" or wahtever.

Calenth on
  • Options
    TediakTediak Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So I think adventure mode has driven me completely insane. After getting mercilessly slaughtered by bowmen I didn't even see for like the last ten games, I've finally infiltrated a goblin fortress.

As a hammerdwarf, I camped out on the top level and waited. The goblins came one by one, or in pairs, and I broke them mercilessly. But I decided death was too good for these filth. Instead I am patient, and wait for them to wake up, to crawl a couple feet, and then, systematically and ruthlessly snap their limbs like twigs. I pop out their eyes, snap their wrists, never enough to kill them, but enough to make the rest of their short lives spent in utter agony. The lucky ones have bled to death, but most of them moan in a semi-conscious horror, their organs maimed and their limbs useless.

Tediak on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Tediak wrote: »
    So I think adventure mode has driven me completely insane. After getting mercilessly slaughtered by bowmen I didn't even see for like the last ten games, I've finally infiltrated a goblin fortress.

As a hammerdwarf, I camped out on the top level and waited. The goblins came one by one, or in pairs, and I broke them mercilessly. But I decided death was too good for these filth. Instead I am patient, and wait for them to wake up, to crawl a couple feet, and then, systematically and ruthlessly snap their limbs like twigs. I pop out their eyes, snap their wrists, never enough to kill them, but enough to make the rest of their short lives spent in utter agony. The lucky ones have bled to death, but most of them moan in a semi-conscious horror, their organs maimed and their limbs useless.

For you, dwarfomega0.gif

Endless_Serpents on