As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Red Alert 3

• UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    Peewi wrote: »
    I've considered buying Kane's Wrath in order to get a RA3 beta key, even though I don't own CnC3. One of the reasons I haven't done so, is because it'd probably run like crap on my computer.

If CnC3 runs like crap then RA3 won't run any better. From that video the graphics look at least slightly improved over CnC3.

Urian on
  • LeztaLezta Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Sigh, the little mens still seem to suffer from 'stand out of cover perfectly still and die' syndrome though. Can't we cure that now? Please? I mean, CoH...

Lezta on
  • BurguBurgu Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I hope they can still set up those little sandbags around themselves in 1.5 seconds!

Burgu on
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Lezta wrote: »
    Sigh, the little mens still seem to suffer from 'stand out of cover perfectly still and die' syndrome though. Can't we cure that now? Please? I mean, CoH...

Well, CoH is a smaller-scale game with greater detail. C&C is bigass scale, so that's a lot harder to do.

yalborap on
  • zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Captain K wrote: »
    PLUS IT HAS ARMORED BEARS WHAT MORE DO YOU NEED

How about armored bears that you can load into a transport and launch with the Man Cannon, so that you may then marvel at their graceful parachute-assisted descent to earth?

We call 'em bearachutes.

zilo on
  • GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The amount of colour suggests that this will be a sequel done right

Red alert games need plenty of red.

Gumpy on
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Meh, I loved RE1's setting, crazy robot stuff isn't as interesting as spooky cold war. :(

815165 on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The fact that they used hell march in the trailer shows they have a fucking clue what the fans want.

The_Scarab on
  • UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    God yes the music was the best thing about that preview

Urian on
    edited May 2008
    Gumpy wrote: »
    The amount of colour suggests that this will be a sequel done right

Red alert games need plenty of red.

And blue.

And sometimes a third color.

yalborap on
  • ZealotZealot Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    If DoW2, Starcraft 2 and Red Alert 3 would all come out within this year I would call this the Year of the RTS.

Zealot on
    steam_sig.png
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Zealot wrote: »
    If DoW2, Starcraft 2 and Red Alert 3 would all come out within this year I would call this the Year of the RTS.

Only one will. Fact.

The_Scarab on
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Starcraft 2 please!

e: I live in a world of pointless dreams :(

815165 on
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Fuck yeah Hell March!.

And Armored Bears.

I hope they retained the Sean Connery spies.

Kelor on
  • X3x3nonX3x3non Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I have been a huge fan of the C&C series and have played all C&C games and all expansion packs including Covert Ops for C&C1 and Red Alert Counterstrike, and RA The Aftermath. From what I could see in the trailers though it looks like a rehash of RA2 which in my opinion was inferior to the original RA1. When I watched that trailer very few things stuck out and caught my interest it all just looks a bit too much of a graphical update to me. They seem to be emphasizing the sea battles in the trailer, and I don't think I am alone here when I say that there have been very few RTS games that have made sea warfare a fun experience. I want it to be cool, but it always just ends up a with a rock/paper/scissor combination of 3 vessels that beat each other out.

I have fond memories of C&C games and I hope this one won't disappoint, but game mechanics have evolved in a good way since its inception and I hope that didn't just pass the developers by.

Fuck armored bears. That and laser dolphins is a bit too over the top for me.

X3x3non on
    edited May 2008
    X3x3non wrote: »
    I have been a huge fan of the C&C series and have played all C&C games and all expansion packs including Covert Ops for C&C1 and Red Alert Counterstrike, and RA The Aftermath. From what I could see in the trailers though it looks like a rehash of RA2 which in my opinion was inferior to the original RA1. When I watched that trailer very few things stuck out and caught my interest it all just looks a bit too much of a graphical update to me. They seem to be emphasizing the sea battles in the trailer, and I don't think I am alone here when I say that there have been very few RTS games that have made sea warfare a fun experience. I want it to be cool, but it always just ends up a with a rock/paper/scissor combination of 3 vessels that beat each other out.

I have fond memories of C&C games and I hope this one won't disappoint, but game mechanics have evolved in a good way since its inception and I hope that didn't just pass the developers by.

Fuck armored bears. That and laser dolphins is a bit too over the top for me.

First, you're evil and hate fun.

Second, sea warfare sucks BECAUSE they don't put emphasis on it. On the other hand, when half your buildings can go onto water and we've seen about as many ships as most games have in TOTAL, I can only assume there will be far more sea warfare.

Third, if that's a rehash then C&C3 was a rehash of Tiberian Sun.

yalborap on
  • X3x3nonX3x3non Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yeah I just wonder if they actually have the balls to do the sea combat thing or whether it is a half assed attempt at a novelty thingy. I think bears a a threat to national security so I cannot endorse them.

X3x3non on
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I think we can all forgive Warcraft 2 for its sea combat due to the comments the units make after double clicking on them for a while.

Kelor on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    What else is out in March?

I'm pretty bad at keeping track of release dates.

LewieP on
  • gneGnegneGne Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    They'd better patch those imba bears in armour....

gneGne on
    pasigcopyox6.jpg
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Dr Snofeld wrote: »
    So who else has a beta key here? Think we can get a Let's Play going on come beta time? I'll be rubbish, I always am at online RTSes, but it'll still be fun.

I do!

Possibly.

I'm worse.

Tamin on
  • LawlzorLawlzor Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    *snip[/QUOTE]

Second, sea warfare sucks BECAUSE they don't put emphasis on it. On the other hand, when half your buildings can go onto water and we've seen about as many ships as most games have in TOTAL, I can only assume there will be far more sea warfare.

Third, if that's a rehash then C&C3 was a rehash of Tiberian Sun.[/QUOTE]

The problem with focusing on anything to do with water is that it’s a waste of time unless you make sure to use water on every map, which I don’t think command conquer really needs.
    And I too have to wonder where the idea that it’s a rehash comes from.

Lawlzor on
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So will this be horribly imbalanced like RA2? Don't get me wrong I loves me some C&C but damn if it's not the epitome of imbalanced RTS play.

SkutSkut on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Zealot wrote: »

Only one will. Fact.

THREE REAL TIME STRATEGIES GAMES ENTER

BUT ONLY ONE WILL LEAVE

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited May 2008
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    So will this be horribly imbalanced like RA2? Don't get me wrong I loves me some C&C but damn if it's not the epitome of imbalanced RTS play.

Base RA2 wasn't TOO bad about the balance. And even the allies and soviets in YR weren't too bad. It's just that the Yuri side was blatantly unbalanced. Still fun, though.

yalborap on
    edited May 2008
    yalborap wrote: »

Base RA2 wasn't TOO bad about the balance. And even the allies and soviets in YR weren't too bad. It's just that the Yuri side was blatantly unbalanced. Still fun, though.

True, certain countries had vastly superior tech though. Let's see, some snipers or a big ass cannon that decimates everything, hmm.

I guess it wasn't as bad as Tiberium Sun and it's expansion.

SkutSkut on
  • darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    This game is so, so bought. The C&C series is nothing but huge fun all around. The water effects as well as the colorful environment all give a really vibrant look. They really captured what RA2 looked like on 3D. Impressive. Plus, armored bears. Hopefully they balance it too. I'm tired of seeing NR5mnFnY when browsing for an RA2 game. But, seeing EA's decent job in balancing C&C 3, I think they can do it.

Hell March is also the greatest music ever composed and is way better than any music in any era of time. Yes, even that one.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
    edited May 2008
    darksteel wrote: »
    This game is so, so bought. The C&C series is nothing but huge fun all around. The water effects as well as the colorful environment all give a really vibrant look. They really captured what RA2 looked like on 3D. Impressive. Plus, armored bears. Hopefully they balance it too. I'm tired of seeing NR5mnFnY when browsing for an RA2 game. But, seeing EA's decent job in balancing C&C 3, I think they can do it.

Hell March is also the greatest music ever composed and is way better than any music in any era of time. Yes, even that one.

What if we replaced the marching with bears growling?

SkutSkut on
  • darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

I had Hell March on when I read that. I tried to imagine it for a second. Then I just burst out laughing.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
    edited May 2008

I had Hell March on when I read that. I tried to imagine it for a second. Then I just burst out laughing.

I've been listening to it since watching that trailer, and it is undoubtedly the best music for any RTS ever made, now in the future and in the past.

SkutSkut on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    X3x3non wrote: »
    Yeah I just wonder if they actually have the balls to do the sea combat thing or whether it is a half assed attempt at a novelty thingy. I think bears a a threat to national security so I cannot endorse them.

colbert_bears.jpg

Goddamn fuck you EA. I want to not give you any more money. Why you gotta do this shit.

(plz no more psychotic drm schemes kthnx)

Zxerol on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Peewi wrote: »
    I've considered buying Kane's Wrath in order to get a RA3 beta key, even though I don't own CnC3. One of the reasons I haven't done so, is because it'd probably run like crap on my computer.

The graphics scale extremely well so I wouldn't worry too much about your specs. It won't look gorgeous but it'll still be a lot of fun. Also you can get C&C3+Kane's Wrath as a bundle and it still includes the beta key.

Speaking of which I should get around to registering that sucker sometime.

HappylilElf on
  • SparrowSparrow Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    In Soviet Russia....

So are crazy mind melting psychic infantry troops back for another go around?

Sparrow on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    In Soviet Russia, Bears lol at armoured humans?

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
    edited May 2008
    I think this is appropriate.

f_bearcavalrym_821d6a1.jpg

SkutSkut on
  • IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Aslong as it has a rules.ini. Ill be happy :D

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Idoliside wrote: »

hi5.

It's running on a modified SAGE engine, I think, so the setup will probably be more like the one for Generals.

Daedalus on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Oh man, I remember screwing with that. Nuclear grenade soldiers ftw.

-SPI- on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    -SPI- wrote: »

Tanks that can run over tanks.

Daedalus on
  • LordHomsarLordHomsar Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »
    -SPI- wrote: »

Tanks that can run over tanks.

I remember making TeslaDogs. I mean, dogs were one-hit kills anyways, but when they turn into Lightning and can leap the width of the screen, they are even more impressive. I also made NukeDog firing Cruisers that could fire across the map. Nothing like seeing the front half of a Dog nuking an entire base.

LordHomsar on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.