As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[OOC] Exalted: War For The Throne

• RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Oh yes. Of course, they have loads of merit and work hard, etc, etc.

But for high-level politics? The Dynasts have a monopoly on that, and on any real power. And Patricians don't get to be Dynasts unless they marry into one of the families.

Rainfall on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Rainfall wrote: »
    EDIT: Also, Than, stop insulting Thrown. Sidereal Thrown kicks ass. If only Sidereals ever did anything besides MA, anyway.
    I wouldn't know, because after reading Sidereal Martial Arts, I didn't see any reason to look at any of the other combat trees.

Are you saying our Terrestrial Exalts have access to Sidereal throwing?

Thanatos on
    edited May 2008
    Thanatos wrote: »
    EDIT: Also, Than, stop insulting Thrown. Sidereal Thrown kicks ass. If only Sidereals ever did anything besides MA, anyway.
    I wouldn't know, because after reading Sidereal Martial Arts, I didn't see any reason to look at any of the other combat trees.

Touche.

Rainfall on
  • Paranoia833Paranoia833 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Oh come now; the Sidereal melee tree at least is pretty much deliberately designed to supplement Violet Bier of Sorrows. (A.K.A usuable with practically any weapon in the game and basically melee on crack style)

Paranoia833 on
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, but a Sidereal might as well save all their XP for an SMA so that they can become ubergods.

Go straight for Essence 4 and start buying those delicious charms.

But enough about that! How about those delicious Terrestrial Martial Arts?

Rainfall on
  • KrataLightbladeKrataLightblade Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, but a Sidereal might as well save all their XP for an SMA so that they can become ubergods.

Go straight for Essence 4 and start buying those delicious charms.

Orgiastic Fugitive Style, perfect for any Cynis, order yours today!

KrataLightblade on
    LEVEL 50 SWORD JUGGLER/WIZARD!
    edited May 2008

My character was originally going to be a White Veil practicioner, but there are so few charm slots I figured I'd be better sticking with thrown. Shame though as White Veil style kicks ass:

"You hit me!"

"No I didn't!"

"Yes you did! You just kicked me in the balls in front of half the the nobility of the Realm."

"Nu-uh! I just nudged you didn't I guys?"

"Yeah, you totally used you hidden chakra to administer the poison discree-" *whack!* "Uh, I mean, no boss."

"Wait? Poison? Bi-" *keels over*

Paranoia833 on
  • Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Is there any easy way to convert a character from Anathema to a text file, or must I do that by hand?

Also, regarding the Gauntlets of Distant Claws(Oadenol's Codex, pg 37). Can they be made of one of the magical materials? And am I correct in assuming that firing the claw would require the archery skill? The rate for them is listed as 15, thats supposed to be the range right?

Last Son on
    edited May 2008
    Last Son wrote: »
    Is there any easy way to convert a character from Anathema to a text file, or must I do that by hand?

Also, regarding the Gauntlets of Distant Claws(Oadenol's Codex, pg 37). Can they be made of one of the magical materials? And am I correct in assuming that firing the claw would require the archery skill? The rate for them is listed as 15, thats supposed to be the range right?

I'm pretty sure you have to do it by hand, sadly.

Yes, you can craft 'em with any of the 5MM. As a general rule, if it says you can't, you can't. Otherwise, feel free.

And yes, they use Archery for their ranged attack, with a Rate of 1 and a Range of 15.

Rainfall on
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Does the Guild have presence on the Blessed Isle (where would I find information on that?)

INeedNoSalt on
    edited May 2008
    Yes, the Guild is everywhere. More specific information would be in the Blessed Isle book, but I don't think there's much in there.

Rainfall on
    edited May 2008
    Ragara Adina, Polished Jade, Earth Aspect Terrestrial
    Motivation: Ensure that the Throne is occupied by one indebted to House Ragara

Attributes:
    Strength oo
    Dexterity ooo
    Stamina ooo

Charisma oooo
    Manipulation ooo
    Appearance oooo

Perception oo
    Intelligence ooo
    Wits oooo

Attributes:

Linguistics ooo
    Lore ooo
    Occult oo

Awareness ooo
    Integrity oooo
    Resistance oo
    War oo

Melee ooo
    Presence ooooo
    -Persuasion oo
    Socialize ooooo
    -High Society oo

Bureaucracy ooooo
    Investigation ooo
    -Digging Up Dirt oo
    Martial Arts oo

Archery oo
    Performance oo
    Ride oo

Backgrounds
    Artifact ooo (Jade Hearthstone Bracers oo; Jade Wavecleaver Daiklave oo; Jade Reinforced Buff Jacket oo)
    Breeding oooo
    Connections (High Society) oo
    Connections (Guild) oo
    Henchmen ooo
    Manse oo (Jewel of the Clever Merchant o, Stone of Passion o, Gem of Seduction oo)
    Resources ooo
    Reputation oo

Weapons
    Splitting Trees (Speed 3, Acc 10, 9L, Rate 2)

Defenses
    PDV 4
    DDV 4 (+3 dice to dodge attempts)

Soak
    8L/13B Hardness 5L/5B

Charms
    First Melee Excellency

First Integrity Excellency
    Oath of the Ten-Thousand Dragons (House Ragara)

First Presence Excellency
    Glowing Coal Radiation
    Aura of Invulnerability
    Warlord's Convocation

First Socialize Excellency
    Warm-Faced Seduction Style
    Smoothing Over the Past Technique

Essence oooo
    Personal 14
    Peripheral 35 (12 committed)

Willpower 6

Virtues
    Compassion ooo
    Conviction ooo
    Temperance oo
    Valor o

Languages
    High Realm
    Low Realm
    Old Realm

Health Levels
    -0 o
    -1 oo
    -2 oo
    -4 o
    Incap ooooo

1/125 exp left
    (50 into Essence, 12 into Specialties, 30 into Charms, 12 into Backgrounds.)

Backgrounds:
    Artifacts: Ragara Adina's artifacts, the Granite Bracers and Stone-Blessed Coat, are taken from House Ragara's vaults, and her daiklave sword, Splitting Trees, was a gift from House V'neef.

Breeding: Ragara Adina can trace her lineage back to Ragara on her mother's side, and although she is generations removed from the father of the House, Adina is the product of generations of Terrestrial Exalts

Connections (High Society): Adina is never out of place at classy social gatherings; she is on friendly basis with a great many of the wealthier members of the Great Houses, as well as very close connections with powerful Exalts of Houses Ledaal and Mnemon.

Connections (Guild): Adina knows that Ragara's power comes from it's treasury, and knows that the Guild is at no loss for economic power; although most Guild officials are distant, Adina has done what she can to reach them, and has at least one contact in a managerial position in the Guild.

Henchmen: Although Adina is a more capable combatant than most mortals, she is not blessed with the battle prowess of many other Terrestrials. In light of this, House Ragara has provided a small group of extremely capable (albeit mortal) soldiers to serve as Adina's personal bodyguard and retinue.

Resources: Adina has some investments in various House enterprises (as well as those of other Houses) that keep her personal coffers reasonably full, and she does not in want. Still, she has not accumulated as much wealth as many of her House have managed.

Reputation: More or less as a result of her broad range of high class social acquaintances, Adina is a somewhat recognizable figure among her peers (although her name may not be one noteworthy to the public at large.)

Hm hm.

INeedNoSalt on
  • LeshanLeshan Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Character Stats:
    Ledaal Kasai, the Sapphire Storm: Air Aspect Sorcerer

Motivation: Become Headmaster of the House of Well-Favored Aspect (Oadenol’s Codex, pg. 82)

Attributes:

Physical (4): Strength ●, Dexterity ●●●●, Stamina ●●
    Social (6): Charisma ●●●, Manipulation ●●●, Appearance●●●
    Mental (7): Perception ●●●, Intelligence ●●●●, Wits ●●●

Abilities:

Aspect Abilities: Linguistics ●●, Lore ●●●● (Manses), Occult ●●●● (Geomancy), Stealth ●●, Thrown

Favored Abilities: Integrity ●●●, Dodge ●●●●, Athletics ●●

Other Abilities: Archery ●, Socialize ●●, Craft (Air) (Glassware) ●●, Craft (Earth) (Manse) ●●, Craft (Wood) ●●, Martial Arts ●●, Melee ●, Performance ●●, Presence ●●, Resistance ●, Ride ●, War ●

Charms:
    Elemental Bolt Attack
    Second (Dodge) Excellency—Essence Triumphant
    Terrestrial Circle Sorcery
    Emerald Countermagic
    Summon Elemental
    Fugue of Truth (White and Black Treatises, pg. 48)
    Cirrus Skiff (White and Black Treatises, pg. 40)
    Peacock Shadow Eyes (White and Black Treatises, pg. 55)
    Flight of the Brilliant Raptor (White and Black Treatises, pg. 46)
    Sworn Brother’s Oath
    Ox-Body Technique
    Safety Among Enemies

Combo:

Fury of the Air Dragon: Second (Dodge) Excellency-Essence Triumphant + Elemental Bolt + Safety Among

Backgrounds:

Artifact: ●●● (Six dots of Artifacts)
    Manse: ●●● (Six Dots of Hearthstones)
    Breeding: ●●●●
    Connections (Heptagram): ●●
    Connections (Academic: Geomancy): ●
    Family: ● (Grandson of Ledaal Kebok *(pg. 36 of Dragon-Blood book))
    Retainers: ● (One Aide-de-Camp and one Steward)

Languages:
    High Realm
    Old Realm
    Low Realm

Virtues: Compassion ●●, Conviction ●●●, Temperance ●●, Valor ●●

Willpower: 6

Intimacies: House Ledaal, Geomancy

Essence: 4

Personal Essence: 14/14

Peripheral Essence: 20/34

Committed Essence: 14

Health Levels:

-0: o
    -1: ooo
    -2: ooo
    -4: o
    Incapacitated: o

Artifacts:
    Jade Discreet Essence Armor ●● (Wonders of the Lost Age, pg. 80)
    Jade Gloves of Martial Readiness ●●● (Wonders of the Lost Age, pg. 78)
    Jade Hearthstone Amulet ●

Hearthstones:
    Key of Mastery ●●● (Oadenol‘s Codex, pg. 88): Set in Amulet, Attuned to Cirrus Skiff
    Wind Jewel ●● (Oadenol‘s Codex, pg. 86): Set in Discreet Essence Armor
    Jewel of the Flying Heart ● (Oadenol‘s Codex, pg. 85): Set in Gloves of Martial Readiness

Weapon: Gloves of Martial Readiness: Speed 4, +2 Acc., +7L, +3 Def., Rate 3, Attune 8, M

Armor: Discreet Essence Armor: 5L/5B soak, 2L/2B hardness, Mobility -0, Fatigue 0, Attune 5

Bonus Points: 15 - 10 (Essence 3) = 5 - 2 (Breeding) = 3 - 3 (Artifact) = 0

*: Subject to Storyteller approval. Suggestions for situations influenced: discussions of Sorcery, Lore, and/or Occult

Experiance spending:
    125 Experience to spend: 125 - 30 (Essence to 4) = 95 - 10 (Peacock Shadow Eyes (White and Black Treatises, pg. 55)) = 85 - 10 (Flight of the Brilliant Raptor (White and Black Treatises, pg. 46)) = 75 - 10 (Eye of Alliance (White and Black Treatises, pg. 45)) = 65 - 12 (Ox-Body Technique charm) = 53 - 10 (Willpower to 6) = 43 - 5 (Occult to 4) = 38 - 5 (Lore to 4) = 33 - 3 (Craft (Earth): Manse specialty) = 30 - 2 (Athletics to 2) = 28 - 5 (Dodge to 4) = 23 - 10 (Safety Among Enemies charm) = 13 - 7 (combo: Fury of the Air Dragon, Second (Dodge) Excellency-Essence Triumphant + Elemental Bolt + Safety Among Enemies) = 6 - 3 (Craft (Air): Glassware specialty) = 3 - 3 (Integrity to 3) = 0

Background, description, and Backgrounds:
    Background:

From the day he Exalted, Ledaal Kasai showed amazing aptitude in dealing with Essence. He seemed to have an instinct for it; how to make it flow through himself and his surroundings. There was no surprise from his family when he was accepted into the Heptagram; merely the expectation that he would excel. He was the grandson of Ledaal Kebok; anything less would be an insult to the family.

His time in the Heptagram proved very rewarding. He took to sorcery as naturally as a bird flies, impressing his instructors with his talent. He also took especially well to the classes that dealt with geomancy. He threw himself into the study of geomancy, easily outstripping most of the other students in his understanding of it. His instructors began sending him to the House of Well-Favored Aspect to help develop his talents in that area. He always enjoyed his time studying there and constantly looked forward to the next few months he’d spend at the House of Well-Favored Aspect.

But his studies were interrupted by duty to the family. Sorcerers were needed in the ranks of the army, and his family tapped him to enlist. He dutifully obeyed and spent the next several years in the army. He was generally ordered to summon and bind elementals to serve the Dragon-Bloods as weapons. It was during his service he met his aide-de-camp, Nabe Kurobashi. He was a mortal who impressed Ledaal Kasai, with his knowledge, attention to details, and martial aptitude. After his time serving the army was done, Ledaal Kasai was able to have Nabe released from the army and into his employ.

Since his return to his return to the Blessed Isle, Ledaal Kasai has begun laying the groundwork to eventually become the Headmaster of the House of Well-Favored Aspect. It is there that he hopes to indulge his love of geomancy and shape the Realm’s view on creating new Demesne; allocating more resources and time to perfecting Creation.

Description: Ledaal Kasai generally turns heads whenever he enters a room. His hair is pure white and he usually keeps it in a pony tail that reaches just past his shoulders. His skin has a hint of sapphire blue in it that matches the color of his eyes. His body is lithe and well-toned; a result of his philosophy that a body should be treated like a Manse. He prefers to dress in blues and white, proud to display his heritage as touched by the Air Dragon. His clothes and hair always stir, as if touched by a faint breeze.

Artifacts: His Jade amulet, the Frozen Sky, was a present from his parents to mark the occasion of his acceptance into the Heptagram. His Discreet Armor, the Divine Wind, and his Gloves of Martial Readiness ,the Flensing Wind, were gifts from his grandfather once he became a sorcerer; in preparation for those who would seek to eliminate him due to his mastery of sorcery.

Manse: Due to his time in the House of Well-Favored Aspect, Ledaal Kasai has had access to many more Manses then he would have otherwise been expected to. His most powerful and prized hearthstone, the Key of Mastery, was once used by a former master in the Heptagram and Ledaal Kasai has vowed to be worty of the honor of possessing it.

Connections (Heptagram) and (Academic: Geomancy): With his sights on eventually running the House of Well-Favored Aspects, Ledaal Kasai realizes connections in the academic community is a must. He’s spent most of his time cultivating connections in the Heptagram, but has recently been opening up lines of communications in the Geomancy community. He even has the ear of an instructor at the House of Well-Favored Aspects now.

Family: Ledaal Kasai is the grandson of Ledaal Kebok; well renowned sorcerer, historian, and teacher at the Heptagram. His name carries a lot of wait, and Ledaal Kasai has won a debate or two by dropping his grandfather’s name.

Reputation: He has started to become known for his mastery of sorcery and geomancy. So far mostly only other sorcerers and geomancers have heard of him, but he looks to change that soon.

Retainers: His aide-de-camp, Nabe Kurobashi, entered Ledaal Kasai’s services mostly to deal with bureaucratic and secretarial duties, but does know how to handle a sword. Ledaal Kasai also has a cook, Miya Harawa, loaned to him by his family

Leshan on
    Character Sheet for Silver Squadron game: Kalen
    edited May 2008
    A final round of questions and my character should be done.

1) Are all Martial Arts assumed to be form weapons for all Martial Arts styles? Specifically for Five-Dragon style, it mentions that Straight Swords and Spears may be used in lieu of more traditional MA weapons, but does that mean you can only use those weapons or that you can use those weapons in addition.

2) Some Martial Arts charms require "a barehanded attack" or "a punch or kick", are these considered the same as an unarmed attack(meaning they can be made with form weapons)? Some charms specifically mention that they can't be channeled through a weapon(even a form weapon) so I think its implicitly allowed unless forbidden, but wanted to be sure.

Last Son on
  • PowerslavePowerslave Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

1) Are all Martial Arts assumed to be form weapons for all Martial Arts styles? Specifically for Five-Dragon style, it mentions that Straight Swords and Spears may be used in lieu of more traditional MA weapons, but does that mean you can only use those weapons or that you can use those weapons in addition.

2) Some Martial Arts charms require "a barehanded attack" or "a punch or kick", are these considered the same as an unarmed attack(meaning they can be made with form weapons)? Some charms specifically mention that they can't be channeled through a weapon(even a form weapon) so I think its implicitly allowed unless forbidden, but wanted to be sure.

1) It means exactly what it says, or it wouldn't bother listing other traditional weapons as usable. Presumably, this would make all Martial Arts weapons AND the sword and spear form weapons. Of course, the Dragon-Blooded book is also riddled with typos and errors (moreso than any other Exalted book so far), so that's a call for Rainfall.

2) That is the entire point of form weapons, yes. They count as unarmed attacks for the purposes of the Martial Arts charms of that style. If a charm says that they can't be used for that charm, however, they can't, such as with Five Dragon Fist (which I presume is what you're referring to).

Powerslave on
    "Never trust anyone who spells 'magic' with a K."
    edited May 2008

Five-Dragon Style uses straight swords and spears in lieu of traditional MA weapons. So no, you can't use MA weapons as form weapons with it.

As long as you're using Form Weapons, your attacks count as unarmed with that MA style, but if it says that they can't be used with a Form Weapon then you've gotta punch/kick.

@Leshan, check my clarification on Craft in the third post. You've got a little bit of leeway there. Also, Dragon-Bloods can use as many Reflexives as they want per action, you don't need that combo, since 2/3 charms in it are Reflexive it's just a waste of XP.

I like the character, though!

Rainfall on
    edited May 2008
    Well, since everyone else is posting there's publicly I may as well join in.

Character stats:
    Name: Ragara Cawnell
    Concept: War profiteer
    Player: Paranoia833
    Aspect: Air
    Motivation: Restore the legions to glory while making the Realm dependent on House Ragara.

Attributes:

Strength 2
    Dexterity 5
    Stamina 2

Charisma 2
    Manipulation 4
    Appearance 4

Perception 3
    Intelligence 5
    Wits 2

Abilities (* denotes aspect/favoured):

*Linguistics 2 (High Realm, Low Realm, Old Realm)
    *Lore 4 (Artifacts +2)
    *Occult 4
    *Thrown 5

*Craft 5 (Fire +1, Earth +1, Magitech +2)
    *Presence 4
    *Bureaucracy 3

Integrity 2
    War 1
    Dodge 2
    Melee 3
    Socialise 3
    Martial Arts 1
    Archery 1
    Performance 1
    Ride 1

Advantages
    Compassion 3
    Conviction 2
    Temperance 1
    Valour 3

Willpower 6
    Essence 4

Backgrounds:
    Allies 1 (Livia Swale, exalted patrician sorcerer who works under Cawnell as senior technician/summoner and occasional lover. Recruited by Cawnell after they graduated the Heptagram together for her Sorcerous expertise.)
    Resources 4 (Cawnell's business acumen has given him a considerable fortune, and his reputation allows him to get generous credit from House Ragara.)
    Artifact 4
    Air Dragon Armour **** (Recovered from an ancient Shogunate Factory Cathedral)
    Custom-Daiklave (Kiss of the Yesterwind) *** (A Daiklave dating back to the early shogunate and rediscovered by a rare air-aspected Ragara who tried to climb the Imperial Mountain, this blade is designed for use both in melee and at a range. When used in conjunction with the ‘Loyal Weapon’ charm, the user adds his essence in automatic successes on the Strength+Athletics roll to keep hold of it if someone attempts to wrest it from his grasp. Was given to Cawnell as a graduation gift by his ‘father’.)
    Jade Breastplate * (Forged by Cawnell while attending the Heptagram.)

Manse 3
    Windhands Gemstone ***
    Gemstone of Surface Thoughts **
    Stone of Healing *

Backing (House Ragara) 3
    Backing (All Seeing Eye) 1 (Recruited for his access to the arms trade and military connections)
    Breeding 3 (grandson of Ragara on mother’s side, believed to be from less pure Ledaal stock on father’s)
    Reputation 1 (Genius playboy)
    Retainers 2 (5 retainers: Cook, Aide and company staff)
    Connections (Legions) 1 (see background)
    Connections (House Tepet) 1

Charms:
    1st Socialise Excellency
    Sweeten the Tap
    Jade Defence
    1st Craft Excellency
    Shaping Hand Style
    1st Thrown Excellency
    Loyal Weapon
    Persistent Hornet Attack
    Whirlwind Shield Form
    Vengeful Gust Counterattack
    1st Presence Excellency

Combo:
    “Iron Wind Unleashed”-, Loyal Weapon, Persistent Hornet Attack

Experience:
    50 xp raising essence from 2 to 4
    1 xp raising Linguistics from 1 to 2
    3 xp raising resources from 3 to 4
    3 xp raising Artifact from 3 to 4
    3 xp raising connections legions to 1
    3 xp raising Backing All Seeing Eye to 1
    3 xp raising connections Treasury to 1
    12 xp on Attributes
    40 xp charms
    6 xp on combo

124 xp spent
    1 xp free

Background and description:
    Background:
    One of the younger grandsons of Ragara, his exalting as an air aspect was unusual considering his breeding and generally held to be a result of a fling between his mother and a much younger Ledaal scion.

A graduate of the Heptagram who passed with excellent grades in magitech-engineering and geomancy but whose lack of aptitude for sorcery and willingness to compromise his study with drinking and carousing notable even by dynastic standards (it’s common knowledge among Heptagram alumni that he entered his final exam so drunk he could barely stand. The fact that he survived at all is considered an achievement in itself) kept him from scholastic fame, Cawnell would seem an unlikely candidate for the Scarlet Throne.

Indeed it wasn’t until several decades later that he earned any kind of positive reputation in Dynastic social circles, when his flare for finance combined with several revolutionary improvements in ‘simple’ artifact construction won his nascent business a contract to resupply the Tepet legions, who in turn purchase these arms with money loaned to them from Ragara concerns including some owned in part by Cawnell. A very risky proposition given House Tepet’s reputation as being on the brink of collapse, but one Cawnell is convinced will pay off in the long run: Either because the Roseblack will try and seize the throne in which case he’ll be one of her main suppliers, or if she is executed before her claim can be made then a reinvigorated Tepet military will be a useful asset to whichever side Ragara decides to support (and Cawnell believes that with the number of Lost Eggs Tepet is incorporating into its structure Tepet’s armies at least will recover, though the loss of political influence will be such that they should side as their debts indicate). While the majority of his work is actually arranging deals with various third party armouries and even a few under the table deals with other houses, Cawnell also personally supervises a small-scale but highly skilled forge responsible for some of the finer artifact weapons of this age, and has worked as a consultant on several manse designs for other House Ragara concerns. A few months after accepting the contract and making inroads into the upper echelons of the Legions, Cawnell received the standard invitation into the All-seeing Eye, (much to his surprise, having privately horded a small arsenal of artefacts in preparation for fighting a one man war against his assassins) who apparently valued his outsider view on Legion politics and most particularly his knowledge on the inner workings of the Realm’s arms trade. (Most notably aiding from afar in uncovering a conspiracy selling cheap arms produced in Skullstone using undead labour in exchange for selling certain state secrets to the Silver Prince)

Cawnell has used his recent influx of wealth to finance research and scavengering into Shogunate technology. In particular he personally found the ruins of a shogunate factory cathedral located on the borders of a northern satrapy. While most of the machinery was beyond hope of repair, several potentially useful facets of shogunate construction were relearned and in particular Cawnell found a suit of Shogunate Air Dragon Armour that he has been working on restoring for several months now.
    Most recently, Cawnell has developed an interest in the Imperial Manse, and has used his newfound influence to acquire residence in the Imperial City and a permit to work in the palace where he can study some of the outer mechanisms that protect the Realm’s dormant defences. Currently it is just an idle interest compared to his preoccupation with turning House Tepet into a glorified arm of House Ragara; a vague power-fantasy of unlocking the gate and holding the Realm by the balls and he knows it. Still…

Description:
    A young dragon-blood not yet out of his first century, Cawnell’s mixed bloodlines have left him with many features traditionally found on Earth aspects; he possesses straight black hair that reaches just beneath his shoulders, dark eyes and tanned skin, though he is taller and somewhat less muscled than most pure-bred Ragara. That said, as the decades have passed since his exaltation his aspect is making itself more and more pronounced. His black hair is beginning to go white at the roots, his body temperature is a few degrees below the human average and cool, gentle winds flow about him.

Despite this he is quite attractive by dynastic standards and possesses an easy way with words and gestures that puts people at their ease around him. He has a love of drink, though surprisingly little tolerance for the stuff (there a more than a few wild stories told by the usual gossips) and he routinely hosts his own parties. While they’re usually quite modest he does attract a far more upmarket clientele than most Heptagram graduates; not being a sorcerer has its advantages sometimes.

Given their common familial routes and similarity of motivations, Cawnell would make an obvious ally for Adina in particular (or an interesting enemy).

Paranoia833 on
  • Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    pfft Adina and Celia are already BFFs thx

Super Namicchi on
    edited May 2008

Five-Dragon Style uses straight swords and spears in lieu of traditional MA weapons. So no, you can't use MA weapons as form weapons with it.

As long as you're using Form Weapons, your attacks count as unarmed with that MA style, but if it says that they can't be used with a Form Weapon then you've gotta punch/kick.

Ok, followup questions then. 1) Since a Daiklave is a form weapon for five-dragons could I make attacks using my martial arts skill or would I have to train both Melee(to attack) AND martial arts(for the charms)?

2) Terrestrial Hero Style says that it is "an unarmed style", does this mean I can't use any weapon with it?

3) I know that attacks with a form weapon are considering unarmed, I was asking if they were also considered "barehanded" or if using smashfists would count as a "punch". For example: 'Dragon-Claw Elemental Strike' requires a "successful barehanded attack", can the charm be performed while attacking with a form-weapon?

Last Son on
    edited May 2008

Ok, followup questions then. 1) Since a Daiklave is a form weapon for five-dragons could I make attacks using my martial arts skill or would I have to train both Melee(to attack) AND martial arts(for the charms)?

2) Terrestrial Hero Style says that it is "an unarmed style", does this mean I can't use any weapon with it?

3) I know that attacks with a form weapon are considering unarmed, I was asking if they were also considered "barehanded" or if using smashfists would count as a "punch". For example: 'Dragon-Claw Elemental Strike' requires a "successful barehanded attack", can the charm be performed while attacking with a form-weapon?

I'm pretty sure that since you're considered fighting unarmed if it's a form weapon, then no, you don't need Melee.

Terrestrial Hero Style doesn't work with weapons, but it does work in armor.

That last one is trickier but I would consider 'barehanded' to mean barehanded, not unarmed (hitting someone with a smashfist is a smashfist attack, not a punch, I think.) That is totally the GM's call though.

INeedNoSalt on
    edited May 2008
    pfft Adina and Celia are already BFFs thx

Adina is friends with everybody, especially if it means being able to dig into their resources :p

Also I'm going to make her Fire aspect at Rainfall's suggestion (and write up some background tonight)

INeedNoSalt on
    edited May 2008
    @Leshan, check my clarification on Craft in the third post. You've got a little bit of leeway there. Also, Dragon-Bloods can use as many Reflexives as they want per action, you don't need that combo, since 2/3 charms in it are Reflexive it's just a waste of XP.

I like the character, though!

Ahhh, see I thought that for a second about the combo, but I was all "Nawwww, I must be looking at something wrong". So thats another 7 experiance right there.

I'm not sure what you're trying to tell me about the craft rules though. I saw that they are now specialty based, that's why I even have specialties in more then one. In fact, I'll be upping my specialty in Manse. Unless you're trying to to say it'd be better for me to put the dots I have in the Crafts in other abilities, since I only need one to purchase the specialties.

Hrmm, I think that will change how I built my charcter just a bit. I'll post the new character sheet shortly then.

Leshan on
    edited May 2008
    Well, instead of taking two dots in three different varieties of craft, you just need two dots in Craft and then a variety of specialties.

Rainfall on
    edited May 2008
    Ah, I see now. Thanks.

Edit: New Character sheet:

Motivation: Become Headmaster of the House of Well-Favored Aspect (Oadenol’s Codex, pg. 82)

Attributes:

Abilities:

Aspect Abilities: Linguistics ●●, Lore ●●●● (Manses), Occult ●●●● (Geomancy*2), Stealth ●●, Thrown

Other Abilities: Archery ●, Socialize ●●, Craft ●●● (Manse*3, Glassware, Wood Carving) , Martial Arts ●●, Melee ●, Performance ●●, Presence ●●, Resistance ●, Ride ●, War ●●

Charms:
    Elemental Bolt Attack
    Second (Dodge) Excellency—Essence Triumphant
    Emerald Countermagic
    Summon Elemental
    Sworn Brother’s Oath
    Ox-Body Technique
    Safety Among Enemies

Backgrounds:

Languages:
    High Realm
    Old Realm
    Low Realm

Committed Essence: 14 Peripheral

Health Levels:

Artifacts:

Hearthstones:
    Key of Mastery ●●● (Oadenol‘s Codex, pg. 88): Set in Amulet, Attuned to Cirrus Skiff
    Jewel of the Flying Heart ● (Oadenol‘s Codex, pg. 85): Set in Gloves of Martial Readiness

Weapon: Gloves of Martial Readiness: Speed 4, +2 Acc., +7L, +3 Def., Rate 3, Attune 8, M

Armor: Discreet Essence Armor: 5L/5B soak, 2L/2B hardness, Mobility -0, Fatigue 0, Attune 5

*: Subject to Storyteller approval. Suggestions for situations influenced: discussions of Sorcery, Lore, and/or Occult

New experiance spending:
    125 - 30 (Essence to 4) = 95 - 10 (Peacock Shadow Eyes (White and Black Treatises, pg. 55)) = 85 - 10 (Flight of the Brilliant Raptor (White and Black Treatises, pg. 46)) = 75 - 10 (Eye of Alliance (White and Black Treatises, pg. 45)) = 65 - 12 (Ox-Body Technique charm) = 53 - 10 (Willpower to 6) = 43 - 5 (Occult to 4) = 38 - 5 (Lore to 4) = 33 - 9 (Craft Manse specialty*3) = 24 - 5 (Dodge to 4) = 19 - 10 (Safety Among Enemies charm) = 9 - 3 (Craft Glassware specialty) = 6 - 3 (Craft Wood Carving specialty) = 3 - 3 (Occult: Geomancy specialty to * 2) = 0

Background:
    Background:

From the day he Exalted, Ledaal Kasai showed amazing aptitude in dealing with Essence. He seemed to have an instinct for it; how to make it flow through himself and his surroundings. There was no surprise from his family when he was accepted into the Heptagram; merely the expectation that he would excel. He was the grandson of Ledaal Kebok; anything less would be an insult to the family.

His time in the Heptagram proved very rewarding. He took to sorcery as naturally as a bird flies, impressing his instructors with his talent. He also took especially well to the classes that dealt with geomancy. He threw himself into the study of geomancy, easily outstripping most of the other students in his understanding of it. His instructors began sending him to the House of Well-Favored Aspect to help develop his talents in that area. He always enjoyed his time studying there and constantly looked forward to the next few months he’d spend at the House of Well-Favored Aspect.

But his studies were interrupted by duty to the family. Sorcerers were needed in the ranks of the army, and his family tapped him to enlist. He dutifully obeyed and spent the next several years in the army. He was generally ordered to summon and bind elementals to serve the Dragon-Bloods as weapons. It was during his service he met his aide-de-camp, Nabe Kurobashi. He was a mortal who impressed Ledaal Kasai, with his knowledge, attention to details, and martial aptitude. After his time serving the army was done, Ledaal Kasai was able to have Nabe released from the army and into his employ.

Since his return to his return to the Blessed Isle, Ledaal Kasai has begun laying the groundwork to eventually become the Headmaster of the House of Well-Favored Aspect. It is there that he hopes to indulge his love of geomancy and shape the Realm’s view on creating new Demesne; allocating more resources and time to perfecting Creation.

Description: Ledaal Kasai generally turns heads whenever he enters a room. His hair is pure white and he usually keeps it in a pony tail that reaches just past his shoulders. His skin has a hint of sapphire blue in it that matches the color of his eyes. His body is lithe and well-toned; a result of his philosophy that a body should be treated like a Manse. He prefers to dress in blues and white, proud to display his heritage as touched by the Air Dragon. His clothes and hair always stir, as if touched by a faint breeze.

Artifacts: His Jade amulet, the Frozen Sky, was a present from his parents to mark the occasion of his acceptance into the Heptagram. His Discreet Armor, the Divine Wind, and his Gloves of Martial Readiness ,the Flensing Wind, were gifts from his grandfather once he became a sorcerer; in preparation for those who would seek to eliminate him due to his mastery of sorcery.

Manse: Due to his time in the House of Well-Favored Aspect, Ledaal Kasai has had access to many more Manses then he would have otherwise been expected to. His most powerful and prized hearthstone, the Key of Mastery, was once used by a former master in the Heptagram and Ledaal Kasai has vowed to be worty of the honor of possessing it.

Connections (Heptagram) and (Academic: Geomancy): With his sights on eventually running the House of Well-Favored Aspects, Ledaal Kasai realizes connections in the academic community is a must. He’s spent most of his time cultivating connections in the Heptagram, but has recently been opening up lines of communications in the Geomancy community. He even has the ear of an instructor at the House of Well-Favored Aspects now.

Family: Ledaal Kasai is the grandson of Ledaal Kebok; well renowned sorcerer, historian, and teacher at the Heptagram. His name carries a lot of wait, and Ledaal Kasai has won a debate or two by dropping his grandfather’s name.

Reputation: He has started to become known for his mastery of sorcery and geomancy. So far mostly only other sorcerers and geomancers have heard of him, but he looks to change that soon.

Retainers: His aide-de-camp, Nabe Kurobashi, entered Ledaal Kasai’s services mostly to deal with bureaucratic and secretarial duties, but does know how to handle a sword. Ledaal Kasai also has a cook, Miya Harawa, loaned to him by his family

Edit: We're not using Armorium stats, right?

Leshan on
    edited May 2008
    Leshan, the first excellency is your friend. Second excellencies are for celestial exalts, first excellences are for terrestrial.

Thanatos on
    edited May 2008
    Now that you bring it up, yeah, I probably should take that instead. *sigh* Sorry to keep ammending my character Rainfall, I'll send you a revised sheet shortly. Also this one will include DV's, since I just noticed I've been forgetting to put them on the sheet.

Edit: Final Character Sheet

Character Sheet:

Attributes:

Abilities:

Aspect Abilities: Linguistics ●●, Lore ●●●● (Manses), Occult ●●●● (Geomancy*2), Stealth ●●, Thrown

Other Abilities: Archery ●, Socialize ●●, Craft ●●● (Manse*3, Glassware, Wood Carving) , Martial Arts ●●, Melee ●, Performance ●●, Presence ●●, Resistance ●, Ride ●, War ●●

Charms:
    Elemental Bolt Attack
    First (Dodge) Excellency—Essence Overwhelming
    Emerald Countermagic
    Summon Elemental
    Sworn Brother’s Oath
    Ox-Body Technique
    Safety Among Enemies

Backgrounds:

Languages:
    High Realm
    Old Realm
    Low Realm

Committed Essence: 14 Peripheral

Defense Values:
    Dodge: 7
    Parry: 5
    Mental Dodge: 6
    Mental Parry: 3

Health Levels:

Artifacts:

Hearthstones:

Leshan on
    edited May 2008
    Leshan, the first excellency is your friend. Second excellencies are for celestial exalts, first excellences are for terrestrial.

You might not be able to tell but I limed this twice.

If you're buying any excellencies aside from the first as a Terrestrial, you are stupid.

*ahem*

Rainfall on
    edited May 2008
    This is acutally my first time really putting together a Dragon-Blood, so that was mostly just operating under the assumption that the Second Excellency was better then it was for Dragon-Bloods. Just used to taking it quite a bit for my Solar characters.

Leshan on
    edited May 2008
    Well, DBs get a half-price First Excellency, limited to Ability+specialty, so you can spend up to 4m for 8 dice, or you can spend 8 motes for four successes.

Whereas Celestials can spend 10 motes for 10 dice, or 10 motes for 5 successes. Both average to the same but the Second is a lot more reliable, and a lot scarier in combat.

Rainfall on
    edited May 2008
    I've never played a Dragon-Blooded, either. :?

I'll put something together tonight or tomorrow night. We're missing Fire and Water, correct? Anyone already planning on making either of those?

Thanatos on
    edited May 2008
    Actually it seems INeedNoSalt changed from Earth to Fire and Powerslave also submitted a Fire, so Earth and Water are the aspects no one has (publicly) submitted yet.

Edited: For some reason I listed Rainfall instead of INeedNoSalt

Leshan on
    edited May 2008
    Leshan wrote: »
    Actually it seems Rainfall changed from Earth to Fire and Powerslave also submitted a Fire, so Earth and Water are the aspects no one has (publicly) submitted yet.
    INNS submitted an Earth.

Anyone made a Water yet?

Thanatos on
    edited May 2008

You might not be able to tell but I limed this twice.

If you're buying any excellencies aside from the first as a Terrestrial, you are stupid.

*ahem*

Well isn't there a Socialize charm that for some reason demands you have two Excellencies before you can take it

I don't even see why you'd ever want two excellencies other than that

Edit: I was going to change my character from Earth to Fire at Rainfall's suggestion -- did Powerslave submit a sheet or just mention he was going to?

INeedNoSalt on
    edited May 2008
    Just mentioned it, so possible Powerslave hasn't

Leshan on
    edited May 2008
    I'm going to.

Powerslave on
    edited May 2008
    Powerslave wrote: »
    I'm going to.
    Fire, water, or both?

Thanatos on
    edited May 2008
    Ragara Adina, Polished Jade, Earth Aspect Terrestrial
    Motivation: Ensure that the Throne is occupied by one indebted to House Ragara

Attributes:
    Strength oo
    Dexterity ooo
    Stamina ooo

Charisma oooo
    Manipulation ooo
    Appearance oooo

Perception oo
    Intelligence ooo
    Wits oooo

Attributes:

Linguistics ooo
    Lore ooo
    Occult oo

Awareness ooo
    *Integrity oooo
    Resistance oo
    War oo

Melee ooo
    Presence ooooo
    -Persuasion oo
    Socialize ooooo
    -High Society oo

*Bureaucracy ooooo
    *Investigation ooo
    -Digging Up Dirt oo
    Martial Arts oo

Archery oo
    Performance oo
    Ride oo

Backgrounds
    Artifact ooo (Jade Hearthstone Bracers oo; Jade Wavecleaver Daiklave oo; Jade Reinforced Buff Jacket oo)
    Breeding oooo
    Connections (High Society) oo
    Connections (Guild) oo
    Henchmen ooo
    Manse oo (Jewel of the Clever Merchant o, Stone of Passion o, Gem of Seduction oo)
    Resources ooo
    Reputation oo

Weapons
    Splitting Trees (Speed 3, Acc 10, 9L, Rate 2)

Defenses
    PDV 4
    DDV 4 (+3 dice to dodge attempts)

Soak
    8L/13B Hardness 5L/5B

Charms
    First Melee Excellency

First Integrity Excellency
    Oath of the Ten-Thousand Dragons (House Ragara)

First Presence Excellency
    Glowing Coal Radiation
    Aura of Invulnerability
    Warlord's Convocation

First Socialize Excellency
    Warm-Faced Seduction Style
    Smoothing Over the Past Technique

Essence oooo
    Personal 14
    Peripheral 35 (12 committed)

Willpower 6

Virtues
    Compassion ooo
    Conviction ooo
    Temperance oo
    Valor o

Languages
    High Realm
    Low Realm
    Old Realm

Health Levels
    -0 o
    -1 oo
    -2 oo
    -4 o
    Incap ooooo

1/125 exp left
    (50 into Essence, 12 into Specialties, 30 into Charms, 12 into Backgrounds.)

Backgrounds:
    Artifacts: Ragara Adina's artifacts, the Granite Bracers and Stone-Blessed Coat, are taken from House Ragara's vaults, and her daiklave sword, Splitting Trees, was a gift from House V'neef.

Breeding: Ragara Adina can trace her lineage back to Ragara on her mother's side, and although she is generations removed from the father of the House, Adina is the product of generations of Terrestrial Exalts

Connections (High Society): Adina is never out of place at classy social gatherings; she is on friendly basis with a great many of the wealthier members of the Great Houses, as well as very close connections with powerful Exalts of Houses Ledaal and Mnemon.

Connections (Guild): Adina knows that Ragara's power comes from it's treasury, and knows that the Guild is at no loss for economic power; although most Guild officials are distant, Adina has done what she can to reach them, and has at least one contact in a managerial position in the Guild.

Henchmen: Although Adina is a more capable combatant than most mortals, she is not blessed with the battle prowess of many other Terrestrials. In light of this, House Ragara has provided a small group of extremely capable (albeit mortal) soldiers to serve as Adina's personal bodyguard and retinue. These Mortals are the children and grandchildren of the warriors that accompanied Adina after she left the Spiral Academy.

Resources: Adina has some investments in various House enterprises (as well as those of other Houses) that keep her personal coffers reasonably full, and she does not in want. Still, she has not accumulated as much wealth as many of her House have managed.

Reputation: More or less as a result of her broad range of high class social acquaintances, Adina is a somewhat recognizable figure among her peers (although her name may not be one noteworthy to the public at large.)

Background:
    Adina is born to House Ragara, generations removed but traceable back to Ragara himself (and the Empress thusly). Adina Exalted in her early teens, taking on the Earth aspect shared by the majority of her house, and it only made sense: she came from a line of Earth Aspect Terrestrials, and her calm nature served to exemplify her aspect even before her Exaltation.

Adina's early years primarily involved the necessary training in basic Dynast abilities; she was shuffled off to various tutors in the arts of combat and manners, language and arts -- and although she followed along and learned, it was more or less safe to say that Adina was possessed of a certain ennui when dealing with the better part of these things. She carried herself as a princess (and, as a Princess of the Earth, this was more or less valid), and only seemed interest when she was dealing with her peers or inferiors.

After her Exaltation as a young teenager (some two years before her graduation from Primary School), Adina's passion for social interaction (and disregard for most everything else) had been stubbornly accepted and her family's focus shifted from raising another soldier to raising a young, smart politician -- she was sent off to the Spiral Academy to learn more intensely the mechanics of politics and business.

Following her graduation from the Spiral Academy (and Adina graduated well, absorbing the material the Academy had to offer with frightening readiness), Adina left the Blessed Isle to travel alongside a retinue of Heroic Mortals borne of House Ragara. She meant to meet new people and experience the world, and (although she didn't really know it at the time), the men and women she travelled with served as her bodyguard. Adina spent years abroad, and absorbed the ideas and mannerisms of many cultures before her return to the Blessed Isle.

Since her return, Adina has spent her many years (she's still less than a century old, but old enough that those who nurtured and cared for her in her childhood have passed on) playing the ideal Ragara; she attends balls and parties with regularity, she has her fingers in the affairs of several other Houses as well as a great deal of Mortal concerns, and she has few real enemies. She lives happily.

Updated~

That's Adina, with Background and reworked as a Fire. Since I don't really want to oust Powerslave (or shoot myself in the foot by playing a non-Fire Socialite,) we'll see what Rainfall says, and if this is troublesome, I can switch her back to Earth.

Edit: Yeah just sticking with Earth

INeedNoSalt on
    edited May 2008
    Powerslave wrote: »
    I'm going to.
    Fire, water, or both?

Fire. I've been a bit tied up with having to make two sheets concurrently and edit another log for RF's other game, all in time to catch a plane to New York. I WILL have all this done before I leave.

Edit: I could try to rework Dog-Dragon Ezani as an Earth or Water if needed, it'd just be a little harder.

Powerslave on
    edited May 2008
    Ah, there are five people, so I'll withdraw.

If someone ends up dropping, Rainfall, let me know, and I can take their place.

Thanatos on
    edited May 2008
    Well, Rainfall did say it's not first-come first-served.

Paranoia, since we're both Ragara, we should probably decide how our characters stand regarding one another.

INeedNoSalt on