As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Democratic Primaries]: The End of the Beginning

• KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Kipling wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Obama is down with Native Americans: http://blog.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/05/19/obama_adopted_into_crow_nation.html . Also, he has a rad new Indian name.
    Obama addressed some issues of serious concern not only to the 12,100-member Crow Nation but to many Native American tribes around the country.

I had no idea there were that many Natives still living here.

What other country would Native Americans be living in?
    ummm...Canada?

edit: and the rest of the Americas?

Yeah, you know, most of the western hemisphere?

Being part Native American myself, I think this is awesome. Seriously, it's almost making me tear up to think that a President might actually give a damn about the reservations.

Kilroy on
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Kilroy wrote: »
    Obama is down with Native Americans: http://blog.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/05/19/obama_adopted_into_crow_nation.html . Also, he has a rad new Indian name.
    Obama addressed some issues of serious concern not only to the 12,100-member Crow Nation but to many Native American tribes around the country.

ummm...Canada?

Yeah, you know, the entire western hemisphere?

Being part Native American myself, I think this is awesome. Seriously, it's almost making me tear up to think that a President might actually give a damn about the reservations.
    Western Hemisphere includes parts of Europe and Africa.

Senjutsu on
  • SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I haven't been paying attention to Kentucky, so I don't know what the margins will be there. But I'm thinking that Obama's got at least a margin in the teens in Oregon.

Savant on
    edited May 2008

I edited it just for you, Senj.

Kilroy on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Webb is also doing quite the media blitz more so than your usual freshman Senator with a new book. Unless that Senator is famous for giving an awesome speech at the convention and is contemplating running for something national.

I think Jim might be playing coy a little, though I'd prefer he not get the nomination for reasons of Virginia.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008

ummm...Canada?

Well, that's one way to escape.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
    edited May 2008
    Savant wrote: »
    I haven't been paying attention to Kentucky, so I don't know what the margins will be there. But I'm thinking that Obama's got at least a margin in the teens in Oregon.

Kentucky is West Virginia + Louisville.

enlightenedbum on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

ummm...Canada?

Damn meridian.

I wonder if Paul Simon's influence on Dick Durbin and Dick Durbin's influence on Obama has anything to do with giving a damn for Indian Affairs.

moniker on
    edited May 2008

Kentucky is West Virginia + Louisville+Lexington.

Kilroy on
  • SalSal Damnedest Little Fellow Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Will there be a poll of polls?

Also,
    051908DailyUpdateGraph1_plkjyf9.gif

This deserves to grace another page. It's just so beautiful.

Sal on
    xet8c.gif

edited May 2008

Oh right, damn.

enlightenedbum on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Aurin wrote: »
    mtvcdm wrote: »
    No more touching ever! Woo!
    Hopefully what's being reflected there is the start of the healing process.

Takin' it to the limit!

I really see those lines as a Mario Kart race... and Hillary is finally spinning off into oblivion. So we can get on with electing a Democratic candidate already and I can watch McCain flounder about.

You just suggested the possibility of a blue shell.

ASSHOLE.

That was West Virginia.

Obama slammed on the breaks as Hillary whizzed past.

The Muffin Man on
  • SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Oh, I know it will be bad, but not how bad. Operation Chaos should be winding down a bit now.

Savant on
    edited May 2008
    2:1 is a good guess.

enlightenedbum on
    edited May 2008

Oh, I know it will be bad, but not how bad. Operation Chaos should be winding down a bit now.

There's also Paducah and Murray out here in the west end of the state. Paducah will probably split; there are lots of old people, but there's also a fairly large black population and a fair number of young, artsy liberals thanks to the city's Artist Relocation Program.

Murray's a college town (and by college town, I mean a lot of college and not much town). Our campus group did a lot of work getting the word out, so we should have a decent turnout for Obama. Again though, there are a lot of old fucks who will vote for Hillary.

And Republicans. The rural areas are swarming with Republicans.

Kilroy on
  • LionLion Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Jerome Armstrong is a shill of the highest fucking order and I want to see him die politically. Supporting Clinton out of attrition my ass.
    As we have known for a long time, the Democratic delegate selection process is a travesty. Starting with the disenfranchising caucus system, which shuts out legions of voters from the process, to the unbalanced proportional system of awarding delegates by congressional district (which produces such perverse results like a candidate winning 60% of the vote in a district receiving the same amount of delegates and a different candidate receiving 60% of the delegates with a 50.1% of the vote in another district), to the overweighting of regions arbitrarily and haphazardly (for example, in Nevada rural district were overweighted, in Texas urban districts were overweighted), to awarding low turnout states disproportional representation to high turnout states, the entire system is a travesty of democracy.

Let me put it bluntly, anyone holding up the pledged delegate count as representing the "will of the people" is simply full of it. It does not. It thwarts the will of the people. BY DESIGN.
    Sounds about right, especially now that 'pledged delegates' are switching sides.
    Jerome wrote:
    As I've said previously, the whole nomination is powered too much by process and not enough by people. ...this year it’s come back with full force, and people see how the mechanics of the process can really determine the outcome of the election."

Source

This is the dude that was saying how he was happy the Obama camp was playing up pledged delegates because that's where Hillary would nail him. Then it was the supers. Now it's the popular vote with Michigan and Florida counted with 0 votes for Obama and not counting any caucus state that doesn't provide official voting results. So on top of that, now the primary process isn't fair. Except guess who wanted this particular way of coming up with a Dem nominee and was on the DNC committee that does this shit. If you answered Terry McCauliffe, Harold Ickes, and Howard Wolfson, you are correct!

Lion on
    PSN: WingedLion | XBL: Winged Lion
    edited May 2008
    Any of the votes, delegates, states, polls, or systems which detract from Hillary Clinton's ultimate coronation as the nominee are undemocratic and a travesty wrought by man. We should start it all over again and let the people truly decide. By voting again and again, until Hillary wins.

moniker on
  • LionLion Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Hillary Clinton wins in states she doesn't lose. Why can't Barack Obama win these states? /Blitzer

Lion on
    PSN: WingedLion | XBL: Winged Lion
  • ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Lion wrote: »
    Hillary Clinton wins in states she doesn't lose. Why can't Barack Obama win these states? /Blitzer

Not only does he have one of the most boring voices/ways of talking ever, but he's also incredibly stupid. Why does he have a two (or is it three?) hour show on CNN?

"Next up uh on the uh Situation Room, we uh look into uh a story uh about uh..."

Clevinger on
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Clevinger wrote: »
    Lion wrote: »

Not only does he have one of the most boring voices/ways of talking ever, but he's also incredibly stupid. Why does he have a two (or is it three?) hour show on CNN?

"Next up uh on the uh Situation Room, we uh look into uh a story uh about uh..."

Probably because Ted Turner finds Blitzer's beard to be so snuggly.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The bit about "Pledged Delegates switching sides" is rich. I seem to recall only one campaign saying they could do that...

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    No more touching ever! Woo!

mommie2_D081AC3F-CDB2-9FE9-2A654A602C4AE98A.jpg

gtrmp on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited May 2008
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Continue your primary talk here. Poll forthcoming.

I see you find that option. Congrats.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    God I hate this kind of poll. Let me see if I understand this:

[ KY Obama over -25, OR Obama over +10 ]
    Means that Obama performs better than losing by 25 in Kentucky, and better than winning by 10 in Oregon?

Delzhand on
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Delzhand wrote: »

Means that Obama performs better than losing by 25 in Kentucky, and better than winning by 10 in Oregon?

Obama performs better than losing by 25 in Kentucky OR better than winning by 10 in Oregon

Senjutsu on
  • real_pochaccoreal_pochacco Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    what it do peeps, I dropped my ballot off at one of the boxes today, good times

I didn't vote for the other stuff though, I feel lame but I didn't have time to research the candidates for senate or the propositions and such

real_pochacco on
    edited May 2008

Obama performs better than losing by 25 in Kentucky OR better than winning by 10 in Oregon

Oh, I thought it meant the margin of defeat would be greater than a 25 point spread in her favour, and greater than a 10 point spread in his favour.

moniker on
  • SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I don't think it'll be an issue again for the primaries, but wouldn't it make a lot more sense to say KY Clinton over/under +25?

Smasher on
  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008

Oh, I thought it meant the margin of defeat would be greater than a 25 point spread in her favour, and greater than a 10 point spread in his favour.

Same here.

No-Quarter on
    edited May 2008

It means that Obama will overperform expectations in Kentucky (which Will calls 25 points down) and overperform expectations in Oregon (which Will calls a 10 point win).

In other words, Delzhand was correct.

enlightenedbum on
    edited May 2008
    And this is why Vegas took all my money.

moniker on
  • clownfoodclownfood packet pusher in the wallsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I really hope Obama does better than a +10 point win in Oregon and a -25 point lose in Kentucky. I think an emphatic win reminiscent of North Carolina and a very narrow loss as in Indiana would really show how Hillary's campaign is running on fumes. A split just keeps Hillary around while she waits for the big win in Puerto Rico.

If this was over with already, McCain's obvious campaign personnel issues would be getting a lot more air time.

clownfood on
    photo-4798.jpg?_r=1355437546
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Wonder why the younger generation is going liberal? It's all about the money.
    The two reports paint a picture of young workers who are faced with a combination of declining incomes, growing debt, high costs of education, homeownership and health care. In fact, say the reports' authors, this generation of young workers could be the first not to surpass the living standards of their parents.

One key finding is that young workers understand the role of unions in building economic and political strength to make changes in public policies and the workplace. In the CAP study, young workers gave unions an average ranking of 60 on a 0-to-100 scale (with 0 indicating a negative view and 100 being a positive view), the second-highest level of support of any age group in the more than 40 years the question has been asked.

* No matter what their level of education, incomes have declined for most young workers. The only young workers whose income rose between 1975 and 2005 were women with a college degree. Their incomes rose 10 percent, while incomes in all other education groups fell or remained stagnant.

* Even though their wages are declining, young workers' debts are rising. The average college graduate has a nearly $20,000 debt; average credit card debt has increased 47 percent between 1989 and 2004 for 25- to 34-year-olds and 11 percent for 18- to 24-year olds.

* Although more than half of women with a child under age one are in the labor force (up from 31 percent in 1976), public policy supports for young families are still lacking. Only 39 percent of women received paid maternity leave. Child care is expensive. Full-time care for a toddler ranges from $3,794 to $10,920 annually, while full-time care for an infant rages from $4,388 to $14,647 annually. In every region of the country, child care for two children exceeds the median rent and is as high or higher than the median monthly mortgage payment.

* Not surprisingly, young workers are more likely to support universal health coverage than any age group in the 30 previous years the question has been asked, with 57 percent of 18- to 29-year-olds saying that health insurance should come from a government insurance plan.

* Another 87 percent think the government should spend more money on health care even if a tax increase is required to pay for it, the highest level of support in the question’s 20-year history.

* An overwhelming 95 percent think education spending should be increased even if a tax increase is required to pay for it, the highest level ever recorded on this question in the 20 years it has been asked.

* And 61 percent say the government should provide more services, the most support of any age group in any of the previous 20 years the question has been asked.

Jragghen on
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Pat Buchanan just referred to Kentucky as a swing state and is demanding to know from Tom Daschle why Obama can't win that primary or West Virginia's.

This is what I'm greeted with when I get home from work.

EDIT: I spent part of the night trying to get some prospective nonvoters to a) vote, and b) vote Obama. I learned in that campaign session that "I think Obama could get shot" is very subtle code for "I'm a racist," because that is the direction the conversations, without exception, went when I tried to explain that Obama, by getting this far, has decided that that is a risk worth taking. (More specifically, the direction went to 'I don't think America's ready for a black President, nor will America in fact EVER be ready for a black President, or a female president for that matter.'

I somehow managed to hear 'we're not ready for a female President' from a female coworker, too.

Well, at least I helped deliver the primaries...

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • SpeakerSpeaker Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I don't know how you can even watch cable news.

Speaker on
  • GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Speaker wrote: »
    I don't know how you can even watch cable news.
    Very easily. After all, the only other viable option when I get home from work is Sunrise Earth.

That's the one on Animal Planet. They set up cameras at some place on Earth some sunny morning, and then record the sunrise. That's the whole show.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    what it do peeps, I dropped my ballot off at one of the boxes today, good times

I didn't vote for the other stuff though, I feel lame but I didn't have time to research the candidates for senate or the propositions and such

I have a system for when I haven't done enough research.

First, where possible, vote Democrat if there is a Republican contender. This is just a balance issue... we want to unbalance things towards the Democrats for awhile to counter 14 years of Republican malfeasance.

If there's no Republican, vote for the female candidate. Same reason as above, but change "Republican" with "male," "Democrat" with "women," and "14 years" with "all of recorded history."

If there's no female candidate or more than one female candidate, vote for the one with the coolest name. If you can think of an awesome epithet for them, so much the better.

Incidentally, this system is proven to work. In 1998, I voted for the female candidate with the coolest name for Hennepin County Attorney (there were no party affiliations for that race on the ballot). That county attorney became a Senator in 2006... her name is Amy Klobuchar... the Reaver.

Or, you know... you could just do the research.

EDIT: mtvcdm, don't sweat it. The polls on Wisconsin are stupid right now. Wisconsin is a college state, ultimately, and there's going to be a lot of pressure on the figiting Boomers to go for Obama from their children... remember, enthusiasm is infectious, and nobody is that enthusiastic about McCain. If you guys went for Kerry when you barely liked him, Obama is a shoe-in. I'd like to see McCain pull 5,000 people in Eau Claire.

Now to work...

Dracomicron on
    edited May 2008
    Someone on page 2 asked for the VP list. Since my last posting, I took off four names which have no chance in hell: Norman Schwarzkopf, Tony Villargairosa, Charlie Crist, and Ron Paul. I also deigned to add Hillary.

Janet Napolitano, Arizona
    Wesley Clark, Arkansas
    Jane Harman, California
    Nancy Pelosi, California
    Christopher Dodd, Connecticut
    Joseph Cirincione, DC
    Joe Biden, Delaware
    Bill Nelson, Florida
    Sam Nunn, Georgia
    Evan Bayh, Indiana
    Richard Lugar, Indiana
    Tom Vilsack, Iowa
    Kathleen Sabelius, Kansas
    Drew Gilpin Faust, Massachusetts
    Dick Gephardt, Missouri
    Claire McCaskill, Missouri
    Max Baucus, Montana
    Brian Schweitzer, Montana
    Chuck Hagel, Nebraska
    William J. Fallon, New Jersey
    Bill Richardson, New Mexico
    Michael Bloomberg, New York
    Hillary Clinton, New York
    Colin Powell, New York
    John Edwards, North Carolina
    Dennis Kucinich, Ohio
    Ted Strickland, Ohio
    David Boren, Oklahoma
    Bob Casey, Pennsylvania
    Ed Rendell, Pennsylvania
    Tom Daschle, South Dakota
    Al Gore, Tennessee
    Tim Kaine, Virginia
    Jim Webb, Virginia
    Mark Warner, Virginia
    Anthony Zinni, Virginia
    Russ Feingold, Wisconsin

Gosling on
  • clownfoodclownfood packet pusher in the wallsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    clownfood on
    photo-4798.jpg?_r=1355437546
  • deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    CNN's Roland Martin has a nice editorial on the flag pin and why it's so damn important that it deserves it's own amendment.

Sometimes, I can't stand the guy, but he hits it spot on this time for where I'm at on the issue.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.