As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Issues '07

Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state universityRegistered User regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
*Doesn't have to be in 2007 only*
*Try to keep the problems personal and not problems related to the industry*

In this thread we discuss your gaming related issues, whatever they may be. Do you buy way more games then are possible to play? Do you never finish or perhaps never even start them? Do you play games to the point that it begins to negatively affect your life(school, love life, family ect?) Do you play one game so much(looking at you MMO's) that you neglect all of the others? Has playing this one game in any way ruined other types of gaming for you? Have you ever stuck to a certain type of game so long that your skills in other genres have sunk to the point that seemingly average difficulty games have become hard and hard games impossible? Do you spend more money then you should on games? Do you barely game anymore these days but for whatever reason still keep buying more and more games/new consoles? Have you ever taken your gaming frustration to a place it shouldn't have been taken or let it get out of hand?

I'm sure there are plenty of other possibilities for issues to discuss but that should be enough examples to get this started. I'd also encourage everyone to discuss strategies that they've used to overcome certain problems they have or may have had. This could be backlog strategies, or perhaps a method you used to re-train yourself if you're gaming skill has slipped overall, or a way in which to properly vent frustration. If for whatever reason you wish to remain anonymous about an issue but still wish to post it you may PM me with your problem and I will re-post it for you anonymously. You may also e-mail me with some newly made hotmail account or something if you don't wish me to see your forum name as well.

I'll get this started. I am one of the strangest people to ever call himself(ignore the girl in my name it's my CoH character) a gamer. I have probably finished somewhere in the range of 5% of my games and started somewhere around 50%. I don't even know why I buy games anymore these days as I never start anything and if I do I barely get past the first bit. I used to play nothing but City of Heroes with all my console games just collecting dust on the shelf and I believe that for some reason this has ruined my single player gaming experience. I can't explain it but I really can't play single player games anymore and have fun. Then at the same time that this is going on I continue to buy games I will probably never even play. I don't think I've finished a game for 6 months atleast and I don't think I've finished a new game in a year.(The old one being KOTOR which I'd already beaten). I'm not sure exactly why I am like this but hopefully one day I can jump whatever hurdle it is that will allow me to once again become a decently versed console gamer.

And now PA let us discuss our woes and our counter-woes in great detail...BEGIN!

Gear Girl on

• Options
    DemerdarDemerdar Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I sit around, being bored all day. Can't even be arsed to play video games anymore. They bore me.

Sucks.

Demerdar on
    y6GGs3o.gif
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm kinda the opposite of the OP in the MP/SP camp: I simply don't find online multiplayer fun at all. Not any game ever, I get so bored. Of course, I'll have have a blast with split screen/lan parties with friends.

One this-year specific problem I have is finding a Wii-it's so frustrating and impossible, no stores tell me when they are getting them in (probably because they don't know, but still,) and on the off chance that I hear of a shipment coming in for the next morning, I've had to work. I'm willing to wait a few hours, I have the money, but it's still impossible, it seems like the only way to get one is to freaking live in a Best Buy or Kmart or something. The word on the street seems to indicate it'll be like this for a few months. :x

Darlan on
  • Options
    ThrymThrym Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Do something else?

Thrym on
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Is this another gaming confessions thread? I guess I'll make one.

I abuse the rumble feature... *cries*

FreddyD on
  • Options
    ZedroZedro Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    FreddyD wrote:

Oh who hasn't? :winky:

Zedro on
    sig.pl?Zedro
  • Options
    Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    FreddyD wrote:
    Is this another gaming confessions thread? I guess I'll make one.

I wanted this thread to be kind of broad and relate to problems in general when it relates to gaming. So confessions would work just fine if you consider it a problem I suppose.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    ToadTheMushroomToadTheMushroom Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Do not buy Burning Crusade and I might just get my life back.

Quitting WoW was probably the best thing I did last year, new years resolution is to not go back.

Like some sort of addict though I keep reading the PA WoW forums and it is oh so tempting.

Man fuck it though, the whole time I played it I bitched and moaned about how shit it was, as did nearly everyone else.

ToadTheMushroom on
  • Options
    Gaming-ModuleGaming-Module Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm horrible when it comes to buying bargain bin games. I never play them. It's sick. I just ordered Battalion Wars for $10 and Quantum Redshift for $6 knowing that I probably wont play them.

Thankfully, I'm working on my 360 stuff and moving along nicely. Hopefully Gears of War will be beaten by week's end and I will continue to work on Zelda TP. Once Gears is done I will begin either Rainbow Six Vegas or FEAR.

I did beat Justice League Heroes last night.
    Quitting WoW was probably the best thing I did last year, new years resolution is to not go back.

All I have to do is recall the sheer tedium of spending three hours begging an instance party together and then having some kid have to quit because mom rang the dinner bell or somesuch lameness and it all falling apart.

Instantly kills any and all urges to go back, which I haven't had for at least a year now, if not longer.

Gaming-Module on
  • Options
    MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I spend too much time reading gaming forums, while my games sit on the shelf waiting to be played. I feel guilty about playing games, because it seems like I am wasting time, but reading forums somehow doesn't seem as bad.

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I only beat, maybe, 60% of my games. Usually I just get bored with the repetitiveness of most games. If the storylines in games didn't usually suck maybe that would be enough to keep me playing but, lets face it, most games have terrible stories. Interesting ideas, sometimes, but almost universally poorly executed. This is starting to change somewhat and I'm beating more games because the story telling is getting better.

I too buy games and then don't play them. R6V for the 360 is still in the wrapper and I'm starting to wonder if it will ever come out. I'm terrible about it with PC games. I buy one and maybe install it but barely touch it afterwards. Part of it is because I know I can never trade in my PC game so I'm more inclined to try and get my kicks out of a console game first. I'm starting to hate PC gaming in general, though. Keyboard and mouse is NOT as conducive to good gaming as a controller, imho. Give me some rumble, tactile feel, and a coach any day over speed, precision, and a bunch of bindable keys. Hell I hooked up my PC to my LCD TV and got a wireless keyboard/mouse combo just to try and get the PCgaming love to return but it didn't help.

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Accualt wrote:
    I only beat, maybe, 60% of my games. Usually I just get bored with the repetitiveness of most games. If the storylines in games didn't usually suck maybe that would be enough to keep me playing but, lets face it, most games have terrible stories. Interesting ideas, sometimes, but almost universally poorly executed. This is starting to change somewhat and I'm beating more games because the story telling is getting better.

I too buy games and then don't play them. R6V for the 360 is still in the wrapper and I'm starting to wonder if it will ever come out. I'm terrible about it with PC games. I buy one and maybe install it but barely touch it afterwards. Part of it is because I know I can never trade in my PC game so I'm more inclined to try and get my kicks out of a console game first. I'm starting to hate PC gaming in general, though. Keyboard and mouse is NOT as conducive to good gaming as a controller, imho. Give me some rumble, tactile feel, and a coach any day over speed, precision, and a bunch of bindable keys. Hell I hooked up my PC to my LCD TV and got a wireless keyboard/mouse combo just to try and get the PCgaming love to return but it didn't help.

Hell, it's not even a matter of disliking console or pc gaming for me. I just never play anything. I don't really understand why.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Maybe you are just growing out of it. I go through cycles.

Accualt on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Marlor wrote:
    I spend too much time reading gaming forums, while my games sit on the shelf waiting to be played. I feel guilty about playing games, because it seems like I am wasting time, but reading forums somehow doesn't seem as bad.

That sounds just like me. I feel bad when I waste too much time gaming if it's not time I've planned and set aside for it, but yet I'll spend hours on here or other sites discussing it...

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I don't know if this is a bad thing, but if it seems to be taking a long time to beat one game (I'm talking more than two weeks) I say, "Okay, I gotta beat this game as soon as possible," and go really hard into it. I've been on FFXII for more than a month and I still haven't beat it.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Accualt wrote:

I also get bored with the repetition of a lot of games I get. Lost in Blue seemed awesome until like the 10th or 20th day in-game,... then I was just bored out of my skull and felt that even though I got a little farther every day, I never really got anywhere at all.
    Accualt wrote:
    I too buy games and then don't play them. (snip)

Well... at least I'm not that bad yet. I only have one game in my possession I haven't played yet ... but it was a belated Christmas gift that I got yesterday, so I've got reasons.

My gaming "issues" for 2007 continue from 2006 ... Not enough spare time, and not enough money (or rather, enough money, but I really really want to start saving more).

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    Mullitt The WiseMullitt The Wise Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Marlor wrote:
    The story of my life.

Mullitt The Wise on
    balloonssig.jpg
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I think an issue in 07 is that they need to start putting more coop in video games. Especially PC games. And more than two player too, because I did some research, asking some people I know and it turns out I know more than one.

We would like to progress through something other than shooting each other. Something to make up for that middle ground where I feel I need atleast 8 people for DM/TDM/CTF to be as hectic as I want, but we have 4 controllers. Remember survival? How hard can that be to add PC or console?

Also, on the subject of coop-it's 2007. Will we see player two in the cutscenes? Let us hope.

piL on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    My biggest 07 issue would have to be deciding when/if to sell my classic gaming collections. I'm at a point where they aren't getting played at all, and I'm thinking it might be time to move on as the DS is getting all my attention and I'll likely be getting a Wii soon which will make matters even worse. I've only sold on ebay once in my life, so deciding to put my collection into it's filthy whorish hands is going to be really tough.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Do not buy Burning Crusade and I might just get my life back.

Like some sort of addict though I keep reading the PA WoW forums and it is oh so tempting.

Man fuck it though, the whole time I played it I bitched and moaned about how shit it was, as did nearly everyone else.

I quit this year as well, just realised that I was spending too much time playing. I never really had too many complaints, I had a great time playing and I never could understand why people would keep playing a game they did nothing but complain about.

Marathon on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2007
    Demerdar wrote:
    I sit around, being bored all day. Can't even be arsed to play video games anymore. They bore me.

Sucks.

You know, I'm at this point too. I fully recognize that games are better and more engrossing than I've ever seen, but I can't be fucked to play them nowadays. It's the oddest thing, but I guess it's just a case of gaming ennui.

A duck! on
  • Options
    MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Gear Girl wrote:
    I don't even know why I buy games anymore these days as I never start anything and if I do I barely get past the first bit. I used to play nothing but City of Heroes with all my console games just collecting dust on the shelf and I believe that for some reason this has ruined my single player gaming experience. I can't explain it but I really can't play single player games anymore and have fun.

I'm the exact opposite. I was a fairly early-adopter of internet gaming, playing on a lot of MUDs in the mid-90s, and then playing Command and Conquer constantly (back when Westwood Chat still worked). I kept playing online games (e.g. Kali.net, Quake, Worms 2, Crossfire, Diablo 2, Warlords DLR, Quake 3, CounterStrike, Enemy Territory) pretty heavily up until about a year ago.

But the novelty of online gaming has really worn off. I'm absolutely sick of the immaturity of most of the players, and I find that every time I play online, I just come away totally stressed out and frustrated with the other players and their inanity. If I only have an hour or two to play a game before I have to get back to work, then putting up with asshats is the last thing I want.

So, I've gone from playing online almost exclusively, to totally avoiding online play. These days, I'd much prefer a good single-player game than the frustration and repetitiveness of online play.

The only multiplayer gaming I do these days is hotseat multiplayer and occasional online play with a small group of friends in what is basically a distributed LAN party.

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • Options
    ToadTheMushroomToadTheMushroom Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I feel that, especially with a game like Gears, I am somehow obligated to play it more than I do, so that when I go back to, say, Dead Rising for a few hours I feel I should really be playing Gears because it just came out and is a hyped game.

I hate that feeling.

Worse with a new console. I own a Wii, but it only comes out for parties or when friends are round. Zelda has been done and dusted and honestly, the Wii has no other use as of now. But I feel I should be playing it more, but I find myself on my 360 all the time instead.

ToadTheMushroom on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2007
    I feel that, especially with a game like Gears, I am somehow obligated to play it more than I do, so that when I go back to, say, Dead Rising for a few hours I feel I should really be playing Gears because it just came out and is a hyped game.

I hate that feeling.

Worse with a new console. I own a Wii, but it only comes out for parties or when friends are round. Zelda has been done and dusted and honestly, the Wii has no other use as of now. But I feel I should be playing it more, but I find myself on my 360 all the time instead.

Heh, I have to back you up on this as well. When I got my 360 I meant to play lots of games like Ninja Gaiden and Chromehounds and whatnot, but there I was, plugging away on my PS2 and a bit on the 'ole Cube. It also happened with Okami. I kept telling myself I should play this game and love it, but it just didn't happen, and I kept going back to Ace Combat 5 to get the special plane. I still haven't beaten Okami.

A duck! on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Marlor wrote:
    Gear Girl wrote:
    I don't even know why I buy games anymore these days as I never start anything and if I do I barely get past the first bit. I used to play nothing but City of Heroes with all my console games just collecting dust on the shelf and I believe that for some reason this has ruined my single player gaming experience. I can't explain it but I really can't play single player games anymore and have fun.

I'm the exact opposite. I was a fairly early-adopter of internet gaming, playing on a lot of MUDs in the mid-90s, and then playing Command and Conquer constantly (back when Westwood Chat still worked). I kept playing online games (e.g. Kali.net, Quake, Worms 2, Crossfire, Diablo 2, Warlords DLR, Quake 3, CounterStrike, Enemy Territory) pretty heavily up until about a year ago.

But the novelty of online gaming has really worn off. I'm absolutely sick of the immaturity of most of the players, and I find that every time I play online, I just come away totally stressed out and frustrated with the other players and their inanity. If I only have an hour or two to play a game before I have to get back to work, then putting up with asshats is the last thing I want.

So, I've gone from playing online almost exclusively, to totally avoiding online play. These days, I'd much prefer a good single-player game than the frustration and repetitiveness of online play.

The only multiplayer gaming I do these days is hotseat multiplayer and occasional online play with a small group of friends in what is basically a distributed LAN party.

Ya, multiplayer communities can be terrible. The only really good one I've seen was the City of X community, they we're far more mature then anything I've seen.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Gear Girl wrote:
    Ya, multiplayer communities can be terrible. The only really good one I've seen was the City of X community, they we're far more mature then anything I've seen.

I don't know if it has something to do with playing a super hero but, as a whole, I found more people to be nice in CoX than in any other MMO I've played. It might also have to do with the lack of an economy, so people weren't competing over items and whatnot.

Accualt on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    id say I beat 5% play 50% as well.

that's only because I buy a lot of old-ish games for collection purposes. If I go out and pay full price for a game (VERY VERY rare that I do this, I almost always wait for price drop) I do play it right away, and at least get pretty far into the game.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I want to buy 1, maybe 2, really good games at a time, finish them, and move onto the next ones.

bruin on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Gaming is an expensive hobby and I don't have the funds for it.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Same here. Thank god I didn't buy a 360 last year other wise I might not have gotten out of debt at the end of it.

Last year I bought only a few games, KH2, Giest, killer 7 and a couple of old PSX RPGs (Vagrent Story, BoF4, Alundra). That along with Gametap should keep me occupied for a while. Since I have no money, I figured by the time I complete those in addition to refinishing my PS2 Library (I lost my memory card with all my saves) I should be done with everything by the time I'm done with school.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    AntibodiesAntibodies Used to live in a psychic city. Never knew what would happen in a day. Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    My issue is certaintly coming to terms with the idea that I can NO LONGER BE A GAME COLLECTOR- it is simply too expensive these days for me to have every system and buy every game I have an interest in. It used to be I was buying 20-30 games a year. Fortunately with the advent of Live I was able to invest more time and energy into just a few good online games, the problem is I have a compulsion to beat EVERY SINGLE GAME I BUY before I can justify buying any more.

So now before I can allow myself to get into the next Gen I feel I must go back and finish off all the games in my backlog as well as play out the recent quality releases and maintain my online status. This gen I bought around 150 games and I've beaten about 120 of them. 8) I'm hurriedly pulling all nighters and frantically beating several games a week over this holiday in hopes of catching up, because really I almost never even make time or have it to waste on gaming worn out old last gen single player games.

Antibodies on
    XBL: thetinwoodsman
  • Options
    BoilerbirdBoilerbird Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Antibodies wrote:
    My issue is certaintly coming to terms with the idea that I can NO LONGER BE A GAME COLLECTOR- it is simply too expensive these days for me to have every system and buy every game I have an interest in. It used to be I was buying 20-30 games a year. Fortunately with the advent of Live I was able to invest more time and energy into just a few good online games, the problem is I have a compulsion to beat EVERY SINGLE GAME I BUY before I can justify buying any more.

So now before I can allow myself to get into the next Gen I feel I must go back and finish off all the games in my backlog as well as play out the recent quality releases and maintain my online status. This gen I bought around 150 games and I've beaten about 120 of them. 8) I'm hurriedly pulling all nighters and frantically beating several games a week over this holiday in hopes of catching up, because really I almost never even make time or have it to waste on gaming worn out old last gen single player games.

Get a DS. You'll be back to your compulsive collecting ways in no time. Every time I go to Best Buy to see if they have Wiis, I managed to come out with a DS game. I haven't even *touched* Castlevania: POR yet, and I've had it since launch. I've been playing Age of Empire DS and Neverwinter Nights 2 too much. Also, some friends have dragged me, kicking and screaming, back into WoW.

My gaming issue is that between my "real" office job, my other hobbies, and trying to maintain some semblence of a social life while living 400 miles away from all my college friends, I don't have time to game anymore.

Boilerbird on
    "The Lord of Murder shall perish. But in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos will be sown from their passage."
    -So sayeth the wise Alaundo

Mario Kart friend code: 227.692.747.075
    Tetris friend code: 742.696.731.030
    Pokemon code: 2921 5590 8486
    Super Smash Bros. Brawl: 0602-5937-3565
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Accualt wrote:
    Gear Girl wrote:

I don't know if it has something to do with playing a super hero but, as a whole, I found more people to be nice in CoX than in any other MMO I've played. It might also have to do with the lack of an economy, so people weren't competing over items and whatnot.

That makes sense to me, since people are not competing for items when they are co-operating to take down a enemy there is no sense to get stressed or angry with the other team members. The worst thing that can happen is you incur some debt if you get killed. COX is quite a stress relieving game really, no 'work' is involved, it's just a case of grabbing a mission, teaming up with some other heroes or villains and kicking ass. You can 'grind' but it is pointless as there are enough missions in there that have plenty of variety to them that provide your character with enough EXP anyway if you just do them and follow the story.

COX is about teamwork and ass-kicking, any other MMORPG is about team-work, ass kicking and figting over items, plus having to deal with all the crap that dealing with items causes.

A good tip for people who feel they are bored with games when they play them, if you don't want to play that game or a part of it, don't do it an do something more fun. For example, I found half of the songs on Guitar Hero 2 on normal mode exceedingly boring to play so I simply got a freind to beat them for me and read Dr.McNinja comics while I listened.

My afro sporting, groove inducing axe weilder enters a venue that has a tracklist of repettative death metal songs. "Screw this! I'm not playing this shit! Feel the might of TROGDOR!!!"

Instead of playing the songs I 'needed' to progress, I ended up playing Trogdor, Elephant Bones and Soy Bomb to a death metal crowd. After that I decided to start up Expert and play the first venue as I knew I wasn't going to have fun playing that death metal venue's songs. I eventually made myself go through that venue whilst yawning, but the point I'm making here is, don't feel like you 'need to' do something in a game if you don't want to. I only play games to have fun, not do the crap they tell me to do for a reward.

don't want to do a part of the game? Find a more interesting a fun way to do it. I'll never be able to get a high rating on Metal Gear 3 because I find sneaking around and being quiet boring. I have way more fun throwing dudes through windows and doing Rambo impressions, plus there is always the fun of seeing what reaction a guard gets when you throw wildlife at him.

Start of Zelda:TP? "Link! Come down here and save the world!". "Screw you!" and Link proceeded to chase a chipmunk whilst weilding a rock for the next 10 munites, ala that scene out The Simpsons where Homer Simpson chases those squirrels with a stick. I couldn't be bothered doing tasks for these guys, I just felt like screwing around and harassing things and had fun doing it.

A good thing you can try while playing a game is stop, think 'What do I want?' and find a way to do it/get it. I ask this whenever I'm starting to get bored in while playing something and it always leads me on interesting adventures. My D&D playing buddies must hate me but finding new and interesting ways around problems in games can lead to some fun results.

"Two huge orcs stand in front of you"
    "Can I impale them both with my sword whilst running full speed whilst screaming at them"
    "If you roll a natural 20"

*roll*

"You impale one, nothing happens for a few seconds as you nod towards him. He explodes"

"I throw my dual swords down and headbutt the remaining one"

"....why?"

*roll*

"His face comes out of the back of his skull"

"THATS why"

I love being experimental while playing games, trying to find other ways around problems that the programmers or designers have not intended you to do or try methods that may not work but are just plain fun to try. Everyone has to try bagging an orc with a tent, throwing him in a campfire and making him into a firey piniata. I could of just shanked him but wheres the fun in that?

If you find a game boring, can't get any fun out of it and only play it because you feel obliged, turn that game off and play something you want to play instead. This may be very obvious advice but not many people take it.

In regards to the subject of the thread, I enjoy games waaaayyy too much.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    variantvariant Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    sometimes im on here reading, and im like why am i reading when i could be playing, i dunno.

variant on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    variant wrote:
    sometimes im on here reading, and im like why am i reading when i could be playing, i dunno.

Or you could be reading Dr. McNinja.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    variant wrote:

How the fuck did you find out about my screenplay?

Darlan on
  • Options
    MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I don't know if this is a bad thing, but if it seems to be taking a long time to beat one game (I'm talking more than two weeks) I say, "Okay, I gotta beat this game as soon as possible," and go really hard into it. I've been on FFXII for more than a month and I still haven't beat it.

I got FFXII the first day it came out, and I only just beat it a few days ago. And, that was without doing all the extra crap (extra espers, hunts, etc.) I had something like 86 hours, which I've never put into any other FF game.

I don't want to go back to WoW either. It asked way too much, to get a little bit ahead. (And I think I have to go to therapy after Stranglethorn Vale).

I need to cut down on my games since I'm starting school, but hopefully not by much. :lol:

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Darlan wrote:
    variant wrote:

How the fuck did you find out about my screenplay?

DR. MCNINJA KNOWS ALL

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    WillisIVIIXWillisIVIIX Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Me and gaming go hand in hand. The good ol' days of playing RC Pro AM on the NES before going to Kindergarden. To almost getting into a fist fight with my brother playing Abadox. Then the one time we almost broke the TV because the SNES' RF Switch didn't work for some reason when we got it for Christmas. Has it lost it's control/magically feel as time has worn on? Of course. But as much as time has past, I've out grown fanboyism and elitism. Though sadly gaming is slowly becoming more about nostalgia, I spend more time playing NES with buddies while kicking back a few, then say beating DQ VIII.

My biggest problem now is MMO-addiction. Saddest part I'm not even really playing. I played FFXI for 3 years, took two 2 month long breaks. Quit in July to play WoW. Now I sit, waiting for the expansion because I'm just bored with everything else. But I spend time reading about FFXI, wondering if I just jump back on for a month. It'll be totally worth it, yea, just one month, kill the urge and remember why you left the piece of ####. But no, fight it off, just sit on WoW. Browsing the AH, looking for new gears for your new Alt........

Aside from burning time watching pixels or my screen saver, if I have a lull from Video Gaming, I end up spending my time working on some Pen and Paper stuff to kill off the time. And if my cousins call up looking for something to do we can do some Shadowrunning or pick up the campaign we left hanging in Star Wars. Just to play something else for sheer glee.

Games beaten that I own? Probably around 60%.
    Games boughten but never played? 5%
    Games started but unfinished? 35%

I've played games my whole life, video or board or pen and paper or card. I won't stop until my eyes go blind or I lose control of my limbs.

WillisIVIIX on
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I find that, like others, I'm not finding recent releases to be much fun. My last purchase was Final Fantasy XII. I'm a bit into it, after [spoiler:6b33d7033f]the part where Fran goes beserk on the airship[/spoiler:6b33d7033f], but I have no real desire to continue. I hate the MMO-esque gameplay, especially the camera (I don't like having to reset it after entering each new zone), and I'm really not that interested in the story. This saddens me because there was a time when I absolutely loved the franchise, but it just hasn't felt magical since VII. Hell, the last JRPG I loved was Xenogears, sizeable warts and all. I have Xenosaga Ep. 1, but it's just so tedious to get into.

I think the last game I really enjoyed was GTA:SA. How sad is that?

I'm just waiting for a true kick-ass game to break me out of this rut I'm in. Any suggestions? My systems are: PS2, PSP, and GBA.

Nightslyr on