As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Organising large files...

DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
This may be a stupid question as the obvious answer is to break them up into different folders but I'll ask anyway.

I've been gradually ripping my DVD's to my HDD, some work better than others in the process but I'm slowly getting there. To those asking I think its easier and more convenient. When someone mentions something in a topic I can just click and see the scene in question.

Anyways. As it stands I have 122 movies at a size of 89.3GB on a single HDD. This HDD is partitioned into the movies drive and a drive for installing games. However I think the way that Vista organises files doesn't work very well with so many large files as while it works well it can generally be slow at accessing them which is a minor inconvenience but an inconvenience.

I'm wondering if there are any settings or tips on the organisation of so many large files short of putting them in different folders like "a-k" or something similar as its not ideally what I want to do. It also concerns me when it accesses slowly that it may be wearing on the HDD, again something I don't want to do.

So any advice or information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

DarkWarrior on

• Options
    bigwahbigwah Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Its probably slow because its trying to index the large files. Turning off the indexing should speed it up.

bigwah on
    LoL Tribunal:
    "Was cursing, in broken english at his team, and at our team. made fun of dead family members and mentioned he had sex with a dog."
    "Hope he dies tbh but a ban would do."
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I can do that but what exactly does turning off indexing do? Is it particularly bad?

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    ParoXoNParoXoN Registered User new member
    edited May 2008
    Indexing on an NTFS drive just creates a table (an index) of where every file on the disk is. If you don't search your HD very often (using the 'search' function) then you can probably turn indexing off. You'll notice a small performance boost. (You can do this in My Computer, I believe. Right click the drive in question and select 'Properties', there should be a checkbox concerning Indexing.)

In terms of Organization, there are many different ways you could go about this.
    I personally would sort things by Genre or popularity. Make sure, too, that you have a consistent naming scheme amongst the DVDs you rip to make searching/sorting easier on yourself.

Don't worry too much about the wear and tear on your HDD from accessing these files; hard disks are durable machines. If it IS taking a very long time to access your files, though, be sure to defragment your disk frequently. (I'd consider using Diskkeeper or PerfectDisk as trialware to get your drive into a good state, then maintaining that with the standard Windows defragger.)

Also, check out this site:
    http://www.windowsdevcenter.com/pub/a/windows/2005/02/08/NTFS_Hacks.html

Some very useful performance enhancing tips :)

ParoXoN on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Thanks for the help guys.

I don't search it at all, literally theres one folder with 100+ movies in it organised by name, works for me. I'd try genre but so many fall into multiple genres that it doesn't seem worth it. If all it does is make searching faster then indexing is gone.

I'll be checking out that site and the software to. :D thanks a lot.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Monolithic_DomeMonolithic_Dome Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I don't run vista but XP is always lagging like a dog when it decides to draw all the thumbnails for my video files (which is useless anyway since it takes the first frame which is almost always pure black).

Maybe turn off the thumbnails and see if that helps.

Monolithic_Dome on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I don't run vista but XP is always lagging like a dog when it decides to draw all the thumbnails for my video files (which is useless anyway since it takes the first frame which is almost always pure black).

Maybe turn off the thumbnails and see if that helps.

Vista seems to pick a frame further in now so it at least looks sensible. I have them on view as list though so thumbnails shouldn't be a problem.

DarkWarrior on