As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Gameplay Discussion

• Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Taximes wrote: »
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Triple B wrote: »
    Loving the game so far. The only gripe I have is not even related to gameplay. The game looks like it was designed to make SDTV users go blind. By that, I mean the text is holyshit hard to read at times. Dialogue is mostly easy, but gets a bit unclear at certain intervals, and the post-battle screen where it shows how much XP your party gained is damn near impossible to read. The game itself is fantastic, though. I'm impressed.

can someone confirm the issues with Text on SDTV? If that's the case that sells me on the PC version right now.

I'm playing on an SDTV and I can see where he's coming from, but it's still possible to read everything without TOO much difficulty. I am sitting about 4 feet away from my TV, though.

Probably depends on the size of your TV. Mine's not all that big and while I can read nearly all the text in the demo, the screen does feel very cramped sometimes and you can tell you're missing a lot of detail in the text and character textures and so on.

That said, I'll probably go for the 360 version anyway, because the controls are really nice.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • StrikerkcStrikerkc Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    wunderbar wrote: »
    can someone confirm the issues with Text on SDTV? If that's the case that sells me on the PC version right now.

Just download the free demo and see if you can read the text. If it's a little smaller than you want, there is a zoom funtion in that will make everything larger (it will cut a smidge off the sides or top depending how much you zoom).

Strikerkc on
    edited May 2008
    Missed that option. I'll try it out and see if that helps.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    BlackDove wrote: »
    Idoliside wrote: »
    How are special attacks done. I tried to do my char and Tycho's special attack and neither worked. I clicked on the button and then clicked on the enemy but nothing happened.
    Any help?

A button appears over the enemy and you have to click on THAT as well (because sometimes there'll be two, and you'll have a choice, when two characters specials are available).

Aahhhhh, this helps alot. I remember seeing that. Thanks.

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • RestartRestart Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I have a few suggestions that I think could help the gameplay after trying the game out.

1. Make it so you can do standard attacks even if the bar isn't full. Especially when you're alone, you're left to stand there with nothing to do but pull out an item. Why not change it so the bar determines how accurate your attack is (50% complete bar=50% hit rate)

2. A larger indicator for when to block. Maybe a flash or a sound or something. The timing wouldn't need to be changed, and it'd help the player know when they should be timing the attack.

3. Disable word bubbles when in battle. I clicked on a towns person then went into battle, and the bubble was still there and obscuring a few things.

Most of the gameplay seemed solid otherwise, and the 'minigames' for special attacks were pretty fun to complete. It's strange to have such a simple click interface for an adventure game, but there's nothing really wrong with it.

Restart on
    spritesWalk.gif
  • IdolisideIdoliside Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'd like it if i could pull items without it effecting my attack timer. But thats just me.

Idoliside on
    Proud member of Noah's Wangship Steam Group
    iusb_760x100.8161697.jpgBunting, Owls and Cushions! Feecloud Designs
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Now that I've got the hang of the combat, blocking and counterattacking is mad easy, and it all flows quite well. Loving this so far. :^:

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • StrikerkcStrikerkc Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I keep picking up these "80 fire damage" molotov cocktail things, but I can't seem to use them in a fight... any one else figured that out?

Strikerkc on
  • METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, blocking gets a lot easier. I'm gonna have to say that the game is possibly too easy. However, that might just be the jrpg "grind to beat every new enemy because we want to inflate the number of gameplay hours" conditioning, so it's not a big deal at all.

Going into it, my biggest worry was the music. I have to say, though, the audio is excellent in every department.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • Furious FishFurious Fish Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Strikerkc wrote: »
    I keep picking up these "80 fire damage" molotov cocktail things, but I can't seem to use them in a fight... any one else figured that out?

Just click on the use item button (below regular attack), click on the bottle, then click on an enemy. Shouldn't be any more to it than that.

They do extra damage (a lot) against Fruit Fuckers, by the way.

Furious Fish on
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    HOLY AWESOME

The cat
    CAN COUGH A HAIRBALL. 999 damage to every enemy. FUCKING SWEET.

SniperGuy on
  • KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Im playing the Mac version (probabl the only person in the world who is) on my Macbook and I am finding it impossible with the touchpad. Like, im-possible.

How is the mac version running for you? I'm trying to decide whether to buy the mac version, or buy the PC version and bootcamp it. :|

Kris on
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    HOLY AWESOME

The cat
    CAN COUGH A HAIRBALL. 999 damage to every enemy. FUCKING SWEET.

I had that happen, its pretty awesome. Mainly I use him to give more time for the special bars to fill up.

The combat is great though, it plays a lot like the redheaded bastard stepchild of Chrono Trigger and that JRPG with the combat ring, Shadow Hearts I think it was.

Kelor on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Is anyone else finding combat very item use heavy? Just curious if it was designed this way, or if I am doing something wrong. Basically, on some of the hobo alley fights, if I don't use buff and debuff items, I'll lose pretty easily. Currently Tycho and Gabe are level 5 and my player is level 4.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Kris wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Im playing the Mac version (probabl the only person in the world who is) on my Macbook and I am finding it impossible with the touchpad. Like, im-possible.

How is the mac version running for you? I'm trying to decide whether to buy the mac version, or buy the PC version and bootcamp it. :|

It doesn't matter. Buy one licence, use it on Linux, Mac or PC versions, just download the appropriate file.

devoir on
  • AngrySpoonAngrySpoon Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Is anyone else finding combat very item use heavy? Just curious if it was designed this way, or if I am doing something wrong. Basically, on some of the hobo alley fights, if I don't use buff and debuff items, I'll lose pretty easily. Currently Tycho and Gabe are level 5 and my player is level 4.

I pretty much don't use any items except the ones that speed up recharge times, the countering clicked with me well enough that I hardly ever take any damage at all

AngrySpoon on
  • PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Wait a minute...I can't grind in this game?
    I don't even know if this counts as an RPG anymore.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
    edited May 2008
    Is this true? Huh.

Having only played the demo, I wouldn't know.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
    edited May 2008
    Yes you can. Go back and forth between areas. Guys respawn.

SniperGuy on
  • Squidget0Squidget0 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I hit max level at the end of the game without grinding at all. I assume that's by design, so grinding doesn't give you more than a transient advantage.

Great game, well worth the money.

Squidget0 on
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I am very bad at this game.

however, I love it.

Xaquin on
    edited May 2008
    So, after playing through the demo I'm still not entirely sure what Overkill is or how I'm meant to go about getting it.

devoir on
  • OatsOats Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So about the third support-NPC:
    Does Fuchsia have a damage cap at all? I got it (her?) up to 350 or so.

Also, most awesome NPC since the weighted-companion cube.

EDIT:
    devoir wrote: »
    So, after playing through the demo I'm still not entirely sure what Overkill is or how I'm meant to go about getting it.

Kill an enemy with a perfectly timed power-attack.

Oats on
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Overkill is doing a whole lot of extra damage to them in addition to their normal health. I found using regular attacks then a special or team up when they are at less than 10 health seems to work.

Kelor on
  • noluitnoluit Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Kelor wrote: »

Overkill is doing a whole lot of extra damage to them in addition to their normal health. I found using regular attacks then a special or team up when they are at less than 10 health seems to work.

I thought it was by killing the "human" enemies with full powered special attacks.

noluit on
    edited May 2008
    Guys.

Roll a 20 in the agency.

SniperGuy on
  • Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    How are all of you getting the support characters to attack for so much?
    Temper does 1 and Fuschia does 25. Anne is the only one who attacks are strong.

Regicid3 on
  • muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I am... disappointed.
    It seems like I cant control the camera, the manual is shit, and I dont even have an option to turn up mouse sensitivity or assign hotkeys... hell I dont even know how to access any option menu or inventory in-game.... clicking corners does nothing.
    At full rez the game also runs like shit...

muninn on
    edited May 2008
    Regicid3 wrote: »
    How are all of you getting the support characters to attack for so much?
    Temper does 1 and Fuschia does 25. Anne is the only one who attacks are strong.

Temper is just terrible, unless you get REALLY lucky.

The 2nd
    Fuschia gets more powerful the more you use it.

SniperGuy on
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    muninn wrote: »
    I am... disappointed.
    It seems like I cant control the camera, the manual is shit, and I dont even have an option to turn up mouse sensitivity or assign hotkeys... hell I dont even know how to access any option menu or inventory in-game.... clicking corners does nothing.

And I have none of those problems or they just don't bother me.

I negate your criticism! Combined we are a not a net change in opinion!

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
    edited May 2008
    I am... disappointed.

1. No you can't.
    2. You need a manual?
    3. Lack of hotkeys kinda sucks, but having more than one character, the way the combat works it's not needed.
    4. Click the symbol in the upper right. Anything else you might need is done automatically. Which is awesome.

Beat it!

SniperGuy on
  • muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I am... disappointed.

1. No you can't.
    2. You need a manual?
    3. Lack of hotkeys kinda sucks, but having more than one character, the way the combat works it's not needed.
    4. Click the symbol in the upper right. Anything else you might need is done automatically. Which is awesome.

Beat it!

Is there a way to use bandages when not in a fight?

muninn on
    edited May 2008
    You don't need to. You heal to full after each fight.

SniperGuy on
  • onidavinonidavin Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Man, the gameplay is good times. You have to do a lot of stuff despite it being very traditional RPG style -- the timing and blocking made it fun.

I want more. Four months is a long time to wait. I will have to try to find the last shreds of concept art I missed.

onidavin on
    der+Davin.png
    edited May 2008
    Hrm. After playing the demo on the PC one briefly, that certainly looks a hell of a lot better on my crappy laptop than it did on the SDTV with the 360.

Question is whether I can get a HD monitor soon enough to justify getting the 360 version, because I do prefer using a controller.

Although the point and click adventure bits bring back a fair bit of nostalgia using the mouse.

devoir on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Is there a button-timing to make a hit more powerful? My Super Mario RPG senses tells me that there is, but it doesn't seem like I've found it for any of the characters yet.

Speed Racer on
  • ultrapeanutultrapeanut Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Kelor wrote: »
    Some of the mailboxes are fantastic.
    "Dear Occupant, buy some fucking gold already."

Having a ball so far.
    "He's like the fucking Pope for mimes"

This has had me laughing more than I have in a long time.
    My favorite little inspection message so far (I've just opened up the agency in the XBLA trial version) is from a garbage can:
    "This garbage can is full of cats. It's cool, they're all having fun."

ultrapeanut on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2008
    The super charge attacks are mini-game based.

devoir on
  • METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    onidavin wrote: »
    Man, the gameplay is good times. You have to do a lot of stuff despite it being very traditional RPG style -- the timing and blocking made it fun.

I want more. Four months is a long time to wait. I will have to try to find the last shreds of concept art I missed.

I'm definitely feeling teased by this episode - I want to see so much more of this world.

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    Woah now I hit Hobo Town and got DESTROYED. Fuck me.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる