As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PS3 internet browser: YouTube only?

ChanceChance Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in Games and Technology
My PS3 is fast replacing my PC as the system of choice for scanning the net, reading reviews, forums et cetera. The only two issues I have are that the text-entering is a little limiting (only so many words can be entered in a single field - like this one) and it only seems to be able to play YouTube videos.

This is kinda' disappointing to me, as I enjoy GameTrailers as much as the next fellow. It's somewhat exacerbated by reading/hearing somewhere that I can supposedly watch GameTrailers streaming onling through the PS3 - but if I can, I haven't figured out how.

Help me, minds of technological might! Is there some way to get FlashPlayer working on my PS3? Are there other internet browser options or perks I should be aware of? Thanks for any help <3

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
Chance on

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    you've got the latest firmware, yeah? i think 2.20 had some significant refinements to the browser, but i'm not sure if that extended to the flash player

have you tried directly downloading the files to your ps3's hard-drive and watching it through the xmb? it works, but it still depends on the format etc.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Get linux

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    bsjezz wrote: »
    you've got the latest firmware, yeah? i think 2.20 had some significant refinements to the browser, but i'm not sure if that extended to the flash player

have you tried directly downloading the files to your ps3's hard-drive and watching it through the xmb? it works, but it still depends on the format etc.

I do have the latest firmware, but it seems all it's done is denied me from signing into my Kotaku account (PA thankfully remains open to me). I haven't tried (or even thought of) downloading the vids - that's a good idea, thanks!

edit: just tried downloading an MP4 (the same format as PS store's trailer vids) from GT, and it says it's an unsupported format... gosh durn it.

Chance on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Macro9 wrote: »
    Get linux

I am truly a technological idiot. My understanding was that PS3 runs on linux - but I guess that's wrong. I have no idea how to install... whatever linux is onto the PS3. Isn't it like the PC OS that's not Windows? No idea.

Chance on
  • Options
    ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I have the same issues with the Wii internet browser with a bunch of sites not working quite right.

Damn the Wiinternet

ANTVGM64 on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    ANTVGM64 wrote: »
    I have the same issues with the Wii internet browser with a bunch of sites not working quite right.

Damn the Wiinternet

It is a bother, but it occurs to me how incredibly fortunate we are to live in a Gaming Time when our most troublesome issues are that our awesome new-gen systems don't browse the internet quite as well as we'd like.

Life is good. I think I'll go give Oblivion a rent and see what all the fuss is about.

Chance on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Blame Adobe for not allowing flash 8 or 9 support on anything that's not a traditional browser.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Blame Adobe for not allowing flash 8 or 9 support on anything that's not a traditional browser.

They won't release the source code of their player even to other developers anymore, which is needed if you're going to build Flash into your device. It's why the iPhone doesn't have it, it's why the Wii and PS3 top out at Flash 7 (the last version Opera had access to). The only Flash 8/9-capable software is made solely by Adobe.

God damn I hope the Gnash project picks up quickly.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm too lazy to find it, but I read they are release implementation details for flash and making the format more transparent and open. Once they do that expect gnash to improve very quickly.

Ps3 Linux will not solve your problems by the way, as it only supports gnash.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    SilvoculousSilvoculous Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Chance wrote: »
    I am truly a technological idiot. My understanding was that PS3 runs on linux - but I guess that's wrong. I have no idea how to install... whatever linux is onto the PS3. Isn't it like the PC OS that's not Windows? No idea.

It certainly is a PC OS that ain't Windows. And, as is the nature of open source software, it'll run on damn near anything. A couple seconds on Google found a guide on how to install Ubuntu (best newbie-oriented distro) on the PS3, if you're really interested.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PlayStation_3

It looks straightforward enough, and it doesn't touch the PS3's standing OS or limit your ability to play games or anything of that sort. This is the first thing I would do if I had a PS3.

Silvoculous on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

It certainly is a PC OS that ain't Windows. And, as is the nature of open source software, it'll run on damn near anything. A couple seconds on Google found a guide on how to install Ubuntu (best newbie-oriented distro) on the PS3, if you're really interested.

It looks straightforward enough, and it doesn't touch the PS3's standing OS or limit your ability to play games or anything of that sort. This is the first thing I would do if I had a PS3.
    I'd read this as well if you want to learn more about Linux. Good luck!

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Zilla360 wrote: »

Man, it's pretty messed up how near the first bit of the wiki on Linux goes on about the gpl and Richard Stallman. If I were Linus i'd be pretty pissed at that. Also, why would it need a photo of Stallman? Linus of course, but Stallman?

Also, from what i've heard Linux on the PS3 is actually running under a hypervisor. A type of virtual machine, it doesn't have access to the hardware and there is no 3D. So that means no niceties like compiz etc.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    SnareSnare Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The Wii is just as bad as others have mentioned. Can hardly watch any movies except YouTube.

Snare on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    GrimReaper wrote: »
    Also, from what i've heard Linux on the PS3 is actually running under a hypervisor. A type of virtual machine, it doesn't have access to the hardware and there is no 3D. So that means no niceties like compiz etc.
    True, there is ongoing work/hacks however (I have the link somewhere from last year) that will eventually mitigate this problem, so PS3 users might get full GPU access eventually. :)

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    GrimReaper wrote: »
    Zilla360 wrote: »

Man, it's pretty messed up how near the first bit of the wiki on Linux goes on about the gpl and Richard Stallman. If I were Linus i'd be pretty pissed at that. Also, why would it need a photo of Stallman? Linus of course, but Stallman?

Not exactly. It has very limited access to the GPU, but still has direct access to the Cell (except for one SPE) and system (not video) RAM.

Daedalus on