As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Fitness Thread v. 3.0

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited May 2008
    Do pulldowns instead, and learn to do squats. Google will teach you the rest. Both the routines in the OP are easy routines, man up and learn a new skill.

Tube on
  • mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    ellipticals are the whip. No impact whatsoever and you get that resistance up it works the shit out of your legs and ass. And leg muscles are huge and burn shittons of calories.

Or an exercise bike. If you don't have access to a gym, these are much, much cheaper than elliptical machines

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    you get the side benefit of gaining a bunch of fat as your metabolism slows down too
    That's not really acceptable.

I read earlier in the thread that I should lift and then run. Since running at my weight would kill the shit out of my knees and ankles and stuff, is there a viable alternative? Also I'm a little too much of a fag for the posted workout. Pullups are out entirely, and I don't know anything about squat form. The last time I tried to do squats my knees felt fucking wrecked. Also I only know what about 1/3 of the other stuff is.
    Losing muscle is easy: just maintain a calorie deficit while not lifting weight. As long as you bump your cardio up substantially, you should just drop any excess muscle.

Thanatos on
  • DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Thanatos wrote: »
    you get the side benefit of gaining a bunch of fat as your metabolism slows down too

I read earlier in the thread that I should lift and then run. Since running at my weight would kill the shit out of my knees and ankles and stuff, is there a viable alternative? Also I'm a little too much of a fag for the posted workout. Pullups are out entirely, and I don't know anything about squat form. The last time I tried to do squats my knees felt fucking wrecked. Also I only know what about 1/3 of the other stuff is.
    Losing muscle is easy: just maintain a calorie deficit while not lifting weight. As long as you bump your cardio up substantially, you should just drop any excess muscle.

I think I finally understand what I need to do. If I didn't know better, I'd say this room I'm sitting in just became substantially brighter. Thanks a lot.

Oh wait. No. One more question. How do I know how many calories I'm burning?

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    You don't. Just work out a lot and I guarantee you'll be burning some. Those numbers on the machines are averages of people running on them with masks on measuring the heat and co2 levels as they exhale and constant pulse measuring and it's a lot of witchcraft. There's charts of activities too, but everyone is different and works out at different intensity levels.

Just don't forget, diet is the most important part of losing weight. And intensity and keeping your heart rate up for when you're exercising.

but if you got a machine and you use the same one all the time, find a number that appears to be ensuring you lose weight and use it as your goal for each workout. And increase it as often as you can.

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
    edited May 2008

I think I finally understand what I need to do. If I didn't know better, I'd say this room I'm sitting in just became substantially brighter. Thanks a lot.

An average-height average-build male burns around 2200 calories a day from sitting on his ass, but you'll be exercising, which increases it. Generally, a solid calorie-controlled diet for healthy weight loss will have you eating 1800-2200 calories a day.

Thanatos on
  • SaniusSanius Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

An average-height average-build male burns around 2200 calories a day from sitting on his ass, but you'll be exercising, which increases it. Generally, a solid calorie-controlled diet for healthy weight loss will have you eating 1800-2200 calories a day.
    that's the thing, because I eat about 2200-2500 a day and lift & run 5-6 days a week, but i'm losing fat and gaining muscle, the last part I find weird because I am not losing muscle even though I do not take in a lot of calories. Is it because a lot of my meals are protein?

Also, CT mentioned this but low reps and more weight doesn't help for beginner lifters, but this week I went from 135 bench to 145, doing 3x5, meaning my rep weight has gone up to 145 (last week I couldn't hit 145 more then twice.) Whats a really good way to make sure that I get more reps out of the 145? I hear it's good to do a weight and wait till you can get 10 reps before moving onto more weight. My problem is I was doing 95 pound bar curls last week, but this week i'm back down to 80. Is it weird to fluctuate like that?

Sanius on
    edited May 2008
    Sanius wrote: »
    that's the thing, because I eat about 2200-2500 a day and lift & run 5-6 days a week, but i'm losing fat and gaining muscle, the last part I find weird because I am not losing muscle even though I do not take in a lot of calories. Is it because a lot of my meals are protein?
    You're doing that because you're 17, you lucky whipper-snapper.
    Also, CT mentioned this but low reps and more weight doesn't help for beginner lifters, but this week I went from 135 bench to 145, doing 3x5, meaning my rep weight has gone up to 145 (last week I couldn't hit 145 more then twice.) Whats a really good way to make sure that I get more reps out of the 145? I hear it's good to do a weight and wait till you can get 10 reps before moving onto more weight. My problem is I was doing 95 pound bar curls last week, but this week i'm back down to 80. Is it weird to fluctuate like that?
    You can just be having a bad day, or you could be getting tired because you're doing more weight on other stuff. Could be any number of things. One day like that isn't a big deal.

Thanatos on
    edited May 2008
    I have a sneaking suspicions that if you're curling 95 pounds your form sucks.

Tube on
    edited May 2008
    I have a sneaking suspicions that if you're curling 95 pounds your form sucks.
    My form is fine. I don't throw myself around or do what most people do to cheat their curl.

Usually my bar curl rep is 80 which I guess is fine

Sanius on
    edited May 2008
    can you do them with your back pressed firmly up against a wall

Tube on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008

Lying inclined on your chest would also decrease cheating ability, yeah?

TL DR on
    edited May 2008
    I haven't, I do mine standing straight in a squat rack. I do it as a lot of professional sites show.

Sanius on
  • Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Its just hard to believe when you're benching as much as you say you are, but curling that much.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
    edited May 2008
    Its just hard to believe when you're benching as much as you say you are, but curling that much.
    I can do several reps of 40lbs dumbbell curls, and on a good day 45 which is usually my max.

It's weird, I know. But I didn't start benching until six months ago, which I was hitting the bar. and I used to do lots of curls just because I had some dumbbells sitting around the house.

Sanius on
    edited May 2008
    For the record I both bench and curl jack shit.

Tube on
  • Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Its just weird b/c I bench similar numbers as Sanius and can't curl that much at all. Then again, I never really did any curls. If I do any bicep work its from chin-ups. Maybe if I integrated curls into my workout I might curl that much. Maybe its not as far fetched as I first thought.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • DragDrag Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    This isn't strictly related to health and fitness, but I know in one of the previous incarnations of the thread, CT or someone posted a link to an article by a health fitness expert about how he was trying to save the life of a renowned douchebag powerlifter who had pretty much the worst diet ever. Just felt like giving that a read again.

Drag on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • big lbig l Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I haven't, I do mine standing straight in a squat rack. I do it as a lot of professional sites show.

Let him have it, boys.

big l on
  • noobertnoobert Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Stupid gym membership ran out and I am poor. .: I can't afford a new one.

I have some dumbbells and nothing more, not even a fucking bench at home. How do I move heavy things around properly now?

noobert on
  • UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    I can do several reps of 40lbs dumbbell curls, and on a good day 45 which is usually my max.

It's weird, I know. But I didn't start benching until six months ago, which I was hitting the bar. and I used to do lots of curls just because I had some dumbbells sitting around the house.

45 lbsx1/40x6 like this: http://www.youcanlearnseries.com/WeightLift/Images/DumbbellCurlOnLeg1.jpg ?

Not to call you a liar or anything but that is insane for benching 135x5. Maybe if you did it as soon as you got to the gym and had plenty of energy, good food for the day, basically in absolute peak condition. I do 35x6/8 and usually go down to 32.5x6/8 by the third set and i'm at the same bench as you. But then again you might have a body type that lets you do really good curls or something, I don't know.

Urian on
    edited May 2008
    Urian wrote: »

45 lbsx1/40x6 like this: http://www.youcanlearnseries.com/WeightLift/Images/DumbbellCurlOnLeg1.jpg ?

Not to call you a liar or anything but that is insane for benching 135x5. Maybe if you did it as soon as you got to the gym and had plenty of energy, good food for the day, basically in absolute peak condition. I do 35x6/8 and usually go down to 32.5x6/8 by the third set and i'm at the same bench as you. But then again you might have a body type that lets you do really good curls or something, I don't know.
    Yes, i've also done them like that. I don't know if i'm a strange mutant or not.

Sanius on
    edited May 2008
    Drag wrote: »
    This isn't strictly related to health and fitness, but I know in one of the previous incarnations of the thread, CT or someone posted a link to an article by a health fitness expert about how he was trying to save the life of a renowned douchebag powerlifter who had pretty much the worst diet ever. Just felt like giving that a read again.

Look up the Dave Tate project. Also he wasn't a douchebag, Dave Tate is awesome.

Tube on
    edited May 2008
    Seriously though don't curl in the squat rack. That is absolutely unforgiveable.

Tube on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    That's not true tube.

If you are curling say 600 pounds (spot the guy who chose a random stupidly high number), go on, do whatever you like, because I'm fairly sure you can eat anyone that disagrees with you.

Otherwise yeah get the hell out.

Blake T on
  • WuckFarcraftWuckFarcraft Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    big l wrote: »

Let him have it, boys.

Haha. Nice........

WuckFarcraft on
    edited May 2008
    Seriously though don't curl in the squat rack. That is absolutely unforgiveable.
    I do this when there is me and maybe three dudes at my school. at the gym I sit near the free weights and lift there.

Sanius on
  • Phil G.Phil G. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    I am having a problem with my left deltoid and it is kind of pissing me off. Whenever i do anything, like trying to get into position for flies or when benching something, my left deltoid cuts out, hurts and almost fails. What is going on? Is it just weaker or less trained than my right deltoid?

Phil G. on
    edited May 2008
    which part of your deltoid?

Tube on
    edited May 2008
    Lateral, the middle one. Even after I work out it hurts, but not the good kind.

Phil G. on
    edited May 2008
    Go to the doctor man. Shoulders are really finickity and shouldn't be fucked around with. Don't lift until you do, the last thing you want is to tear something.

Tube on
  • Durandal InfinityDurandal Infinity Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    My shoulders are a bitch at times, especially my right now.

Also a curl to Bench ratio is sort of a bad way to go about lifting. Curling isnt something you should do too heavy to begin with as biceps are small muscles and when doing isolated workouts for them, you dont usually need alot of weight.

For instance I bench from 245-315(rarely do I do 315 at this point) from 12-4 (1 if its 315 and im feelin frisky) and with curls I think I can only do at most 6x60lbs comfortably but even so Id rather take 40s and do 3 sets of 20 per arm and get them pumped. They will get bigger doing back workouts more then anything and the heavier you deadlift the thicker you get all around. I am up to a 455 deadlift and after my back day I feel like a tank

Durandal Infinity on
    edited May 2008
    hey durandal is back! did you do that show yet

Tube on
    edited May 2008
    nah I decided against it. People whom I knew that went were not exactly "natural" in sport. That being said attempting to compete with people double your weight and 7 inches less then you is impossible. The sport of bodybuilding is a fun one but when taken to a pro or semi pro or even basic competition level the amount of people that juice is astronomical. Not that I truly have anything against someone taking a steroid, it is their own body but if they want to compete that way I want something for naturals.

that being said, Im going to law enforcement either with my Dad's badge in the NYPD or Federal service, so needless to say the weight lifting will always continue =]

Durandal Infinity on
    edited May 2008
    That's a shame man. You could still go for it even if you don't win. What's your training like these days?

Tube on
    edited May 2008
    Go to the doctor man. Shoulders are really finickity and shouldn't be fucked around with. Don't lift until you do, the last thing you want is to tear something.

Aw damn. Well I'll see the doctor then. Thanks!

Phil G. on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    what are some good exercises for my STOMACH AND BACK MUSCLES

Orikaeshigitae on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    this dietary section is pretty good, kudos thanatos

(this would be a post edit except i'm jailed)

Orikaeshigitae on
    edited May 2008
    what are some good exercises for my STOMACH AND BACK MUSCLES

working out all of your muscles equally in a balanced weightlifting program!

Tube on
    edited May 2008
    Same as it always was 5 day spread. My only additions have been heavy bag punching, heavy bag lifting and throwing, and some running and that is mainly for occupation. All of my workouts are still the same and in full strength with these additions at the end of them.

My dad was a cop, so I have Class 3 body armor lying around. So basically I run 4 half mile sprints with Class III balistic armor on with a sweatshirt over it heavy khakis, and occasionally holding a cinder block.

Durandal Infinity on
This discussion has been closed.