As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I need to HACK and I need to SLASH!

124»

• SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Is Titan Quest really worth picking up considering that the game has no support from the (now defunct) developer?

Silpheed on
  • DoronronDoronron Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    I wanted to like Mythos, but I couldn't get into that either. I don't know what it was, but it felt so... Generic. Of course, it's probably because it is still in BETA, but I don't have high hopes for the final product (I say that so if it's even remotely good I may actually enjoy it then).

I think what got me really interested in Mythos as a game was discovering how to interlace skills to make characters not so gear based -- my neverending flame thrower pyro was great fun to run in just his boxers. One thing that turned me off with Mythos was the discovery that some classes and skill combinations were significantly more effective than everything else, making it impossible to party actually get any real XP unless you're playing one of them.

Over all the game is a lot of fun, though. I need to check if the new interface update is out, yet. I downloaded the client again after the introduction of Zone 3 and the Cyclops race, but haven't played it much. My gaming computer has been more or less mothballed as an entertainment machine due to my 360 and (currently) Chromehounds (nee Vegas, Vegas 2, and GRAW2).

EDIT: Titan Quest is fun. I can not stress enough the XMAX mod and the superflying bodies mod, though. That first bridge of Satyrs? Twenty to thirty of them. Watch them go every which way.

Doronron on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Silpheed wrote: »
    Is Titan Quest really worth picking up considering that the game has no support from the (now defunct) developer?

Yes. Not only is it a great game, but there's a decent sized modding community that is working on new content and fixes for it.

RainbowDespair on
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I see, maybe I'll check Titan Quest out once I manage to get a Battlemage through the campaign+expansion in Sacred.

Silpheed on
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Silpheed wrote: »

Yes. Not only is it a great game, but there's a decent sized modding community that is working on new content and fixes for it.

Any mods in particular you're watching?

Tamin on
  • Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Age of Conan actually has a pretty good hack and slash component. The combat satisfies my hack and slash urges well.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • WhifflebatWhifflebat Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Diablo-esque games are a funny bunch. It's such a simple game design (click til dead -> get loot -> kill things faster), but it is so difficult to get right. The gameplay is extremely repeatative in nature, so it's a supreme challenge to the designers to make sure the fun lasts. In my opinion, the three things a Diablo-clone must have are: 1. a streamlined interface, 2. a good loot system and 3. satisfying combat.

Like clockwork, I usually get the itch to play D2 or a Diablo-clone every year or so. Here are the games I've tried.

Titan Quest: The Immortal Throne: Hands down, the best D2-clone out there presently. $20 on Steam for the package is an absolute steal. Biggest cons: it can have inconsistant performance and your avatar looks about the same at level 1 and level 40 (I've only gone through on Normal). I like when a game is all about loot, for the loot to look cool.
    Fate: A simpler, kinder D2. Plus, you get pets! And fishing! Decent game.
    Dungeon Siege: Played through this with a friend on co-op. Fairly fun. I didn't like the single player as much. You have to manage a party, not just yourself. Never tried the sequel.
    Hellgate: London: Granted, I only was in the open beta, but good lord, was this game boring. It didn't have any of the three things listed above. Patches might have improved this, but YMMV.

Can't comment on Sacred, Divine Divinity or Dungeon Runners as I haven't played them. Mythos looks all kinds of awesome, but I haven't tried it yet. From what I can tell, it will probably be the Diablo-clone of choice once it is available in the Fall.

Whifflebat on
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Whifflebat wrote: »
    Diablo-esque games are a funny bunch. It's such a simple game design (click til dead -> get loot -> kill things faster), but it is so difficult to get right. The gameplay is extremely repeatative in nature, so it's a supreme challenge to the designers to make sure the fun lasts. In my opinion, the three things a Diablo-clone must have are: 1. a streamlined interface, 2. a good loot system and 3. satisfying combat.

Like clockwork, I usually get the itch to play D2 or a Diablo-clone every year or so. Here are the games I've tried.

Titan Quest: The Immortal Throne: Hands down, the best D2-clone out there presently. $20 on Steam for the package is an absolute steal. Biggest cons: it can have inconsistant performance and your avatar looks about the same at level 1 and level 40 (I've only gone through on Normal). I like when a game is all about loot, for the loot to look cool.
    Fate: A simpler, kinder D2. Plus, you get pets! And fishing! Decent game.
    Dungeon Siege: Played through this with a friend on co-op. Fairly fun. I didn't like the single player as much. You have to manage a party, not just yourself. Never tried the sequel.
    Hellgate: London: Granted, I only was in the open beta, but good lord, was this game boring. It didn't have any of the three things listed above. Patches might have improved this, but YMMV.

Can't comment on Sacred, Divine Divinity or Dungeon Runners as I haven't played them. Mythos looks all kinds of awesome, but I haven't tried it yet. From what I can tell, it will probably be the Diablo-clone of choice once it is available in the Fall.

Hellgate london had the one thing titan quest didn't, your guys looks all kinds of awesome towards the end of the game...I'm just playing through Titan Quest now with the expansion and am thoroughly enjoying it

Dixon on