As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

ChicoBlue [CHAT] himself at the sound of Captain K's angelic voice...

• Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Forbe! wrote: »
    You haven't been to an art critique until you've seen a fist fight erupt at one.

Are you....speaking from experience? 'Cuz holy crap.

Yuh.

What thread did this critique happen in?

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • BelieveBelieve Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    You haven't been to an art critique until you've seen a fist fight erupt at one.

Are you....speaking from experience? 'Cuz holy crap.

Yuh.

What thread did this critique happen in?
    Uhh I'd rather not post it publicly because I don't want to encourage people going over there to pick fights. I can PM you the link if you'd like.

Believe on
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Believe wrote: »
    yes, I know it's animeforum.com but really. Let's ignore that for a second and focus more on the part where she asked for criticism and responded like a little bitch when she got it without sugar on top.

I went to the forum and yes, you were acting like a dick. Her rage (though somewhat exagerated) is totally justifiable seeing as you insulted her on several occasions.

Seriously, there is an air of superiority when you posted on that board... it even comes through when you're talking about her here: "yes, I know it's animeforum.com but really. Let's ignore that for a second". Why would this be an obstacle to drawing well or accepting criticism? It's like you already build a stereotype in your mind that makes it OK for you to talk down to them.

I think you were out of line and your criticism was somewhat high-and-mighty.

MagicToaster on
  • MaximasXXZMaximasXXZ Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Grifter wrote: »
    Man, fishing yesterday was awesome. Pictures and videos to be posted soon.

I've been thinking of going ocean fishing around the islands here (Hawaii). Is that hard to get into?

MaximasXXZ on
    zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg
    PSN: MaximasXXZ XBOX Live: SneakyMcSnipe
  • icebergiceberg Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

I can't wait to go out this summer. Also, boat rides+++

iceberg on
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008
    New Mars landing to be broadcast today!

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Ha! I ended up tuning in like 5 minutes before it landed. Awesome.

NightDragon on
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2008

To celebrate they handed out licorice (instead of cigars)!

• MangoesMangoes Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Me too!

I could've sworn I heard a french guy say "I would give a big hug to you if I were gay!"

Mangoes on
    edited May 2008
    There should be the first photos coming in within the next fifteen to twenty minutes...

• Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Incoming photos!

If you're looking to do some deep sea fishing then just look around for charter operators. If it's something you're going to want to do frequently, then you're going to be looking at a substantial amount for your gear and...well... a boat.

Uncle Long on
  • NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Ordered my new car today! comes in in june. What do you guys think? (i'm getting new rims obviously)
    http://www.autoblog.com/2008/05/16/scion-xd-limited-edition-release-series-1-0-starting-at-14-550/

NakedZergling on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited May 2008
    Ordered my new car today! comes in in june. What do you guys think? (i'm getting new rims obviously)
    http://www.autoblog.com/2008/05/16/scion-xd-limited-edition-release-series-1-0-starting-at-14-550/
    ...the poser package.

So let me get this straight, for the extra $2000 you are buying the image that you would be someone that would spend his time and effort ricing out their hatchback, but you're too lazy to be bothered?

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited May 2008
    It's called the Scion xD.

The thing is laughing at you.

AAAAAkvN_ikAAAAAAD2Z3w.jpg

Mangoes on
    edited May 2008
    I have a hatchback too!
    Suzuki Aerio gets all the ladies.

MagicToaster on
  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited May 2008
    iceberg wrote: »

I can't wait to go out this summer. Also, boat rides+++

Hmmm... I seem to be having issues with uploading. I'll have to sort out the videos form work tomorrow. Faster upload speeds there.

Grifter on
  • MaximasXXZMaximasXXZ Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Wo9ATFvHg0

Boredom hath driven me to upload my moto-video. No animals were harmed in the making of this, in fact they were loved.

MaximasXXZ on
    zombiegirl8ki.gif
    TL_Sigblock.jpg
    PSN: MaximasXXZ XBOX Live: SneakyMcSnipe
    edited May 2008
    It seems that somebody has made "The biggest drawing in the world."

http://biggestdrawingintheworld.com/drawing.aspx

Grifter on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    So awesome.

Godfather on
    edited May 2008
    Oh my god.

He draws better than me and he's using a briefcase.

Mangoes on
    edited May 2008
    I can't even imagine trying to actually get DHL to do that for him. I mean, he probably paid up the ass, but he probably came off as a nutjob at first.

amazing, though.

iceberg on
    edited May 2008
    Great googly moogly guys! Take a look at this!

http://www.candyrat.com/Tabs.aspx

Specifically this:
    Antoine Dufour : Transcriptions Set 5

This download comes with three songs in MP3 format and matching (Standard Notation & Guitar Tab Format) transcriptions in Adobe PDF and Guitar-Pro formats for the following songs:

Song for Stephen

30 Minutes in London

Reality

This is Song for Stephen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgsB_xA2G0I&feature=related

But wait! It gets better!
    Andy McKee : Guitar Tabs & Standard Notation : Set 2

This download comes with four songs in MP3 format and matching (Guitar Tab & Standard Notation Format) transcriptions in Adobe PDF format for the following songs:

Africa

Art of Motion

7-14

All Laid Back and Stuff

This is Art of Motion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRAiUzrmkMk&feature=related

It took forever, but Candyrat Records finally started selling tabs from some of their artists, and both of my favorites are up there! It's a little pricey ($20 for McKee, $15 for Dufour), but well worth it.

So yeah, i'm stoked.

Godfather on
  • NeoRedXIIINeoRedXIII Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I finally got to see what Portal's all about and play it. Awesome. I'm saving the last level for the next time I play.

NeoRedXIII on
    edited May 2008
    I can't even imagine trying to actually get DHL to do that for him. I mean, he probably paid up the ass, but he probably came off as a nutjob at first.

amazing, though.

It's actually part of an advertisement campaign for DHL so I'm guessing that they paid him.

http://gizmodo.com/393165/the-biggest-drawing-in-the-world-created-with-the-help-of-gps-and-dhl

Grifter on
    edited May 2008
    Godfather - those videos are amaaaaazing! Man, I wish I could play like that. Gorgeous songs, too. Very nice! :D

NightDragon on
    edited May 2008
    Godfather wrote: »
    awesome

I've been trying to learn guitar this summer, and my guitar playing friend says that I've been getting better faster than he thought I would, but man, when you see that kind of talent, you kind of realize how you'll never be that good.

iceberg on
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited May 2008
    My birthday is tomorrow. Prepare your tributes or suffer my wrath.

My friend got me a model of the DeLorean from Back to the Future. This will be perfect for my time travel experiments with mice.

DMAC on
    edited May 2008
    Godfather wrote: »
    awesome

I've been trying to learn guitar this summer, and my guitar playing friend says that I've been getting better faster than he thought I would, but man, when you see that kind of talent, you kind of realize how you'll never be that good.

Something you've got to realize is that guys like Andy McKee and Antoine Dufour not only have been playing for many years, but also have extensive training in music theory. I've been playing for almost a year, and i'm still struggling with stuff like bar chords (which is ironic, because i'm able to play Classical Gas by Mason Williams decently). It all comes down to practice really; just don't worry about what the other guy is doing and focus on you, and you should be fine.
    Godfather - those videos are amaaaaazing! Man, I wish I could play like that. Gorgeous songs, too. Very nice! :D

Glad you liked it.

It seems i'm having a bit of a decision crisis now. I found out that mr. McKee also has released the tabs for Rylynn, arguably one of his strongest pieces. It was written for a girl with the same name to left this earth too soon, and you can hear it reflected through the piece:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsD6uEZsIsU&feature=related

The problem? It's more difficult than Drifting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ddn4MGaS3N4&feature=related

Drifting is considered to be McKee's Magnum Opus, although I prefer the title be awarded to Rylynn.

If I pick up Rylynn, it's going to be years until i'm able to play that piece (especially with my school situation). Art of Motion might be the smarter choice.

Godfather on
    edited May 2008
    My birthday is Thursday. Prepare the to vomitorium and the ritual orgy room.

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
    edited May 2008
    I'm formating my computer today. When it comes around I would have installed all my programs on a separate physical drive from the OS drive. Lets see if the performance difference Adobe claims in all its suggestions is real.

EDIT:
    I'm not looking forward to updating my 150 gigs of files on an external USB IDE disk...

MagicToaster on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    This is the reply I got back for my Orphan Rights Act email:
    Dear Mr. Ghimire:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the Shawn Bentley Orphan Works Act of 2008 (S. 2913). I appreciate having the benefit of your comments on this matter.

As you know, S. 2913 was introduced in the Senate on April 24, 2008. This legislation provides a limitation on judicial remedies in copyright infringement cases involving “orphan works”—copyrighted works whose owners may be impossible to identify and locate. I strongly believe that we must protect the intellectual property rights of the authors, journalists, and artists who, through their creative pursuits, benefit all Americans. I also understand that the issue of “orphan works” presents a real problem to both content creators and to content users. Potential users of "orphan works"—such as the libraries and museums who work to preserve historical journals, records, and films—shy away from materials for fear of being sued should an owner emerge.

While potential users suffer as "orphan works" fade into disuse, the creators also lose. Not only do creators receive no monetary compensation for "orphan works" that are never used, but they also lose the benefit of having their work viewed and appreciated. For example, a vast treasure trove of documentary and artistic films from the early days of cinema are now disintegrating in their boxes because the film preservationists and historians who would restore them are afraid of copyright liability.

On May 15, 2008, an amended version of S. 2913 was passed by the Senate Judiciary Committee and awaits further consideration by the full Senate. This legislation is intended to help fix the "orphan works" problem while taking into account concerns expressed by content creators. You may be interested to learn that S. 2913 has been endorsed by the Recording Industry Association of America, as well as independent librarians, historians, and preservationists.

I appreciate the opportunity to represent Texans in the United States Senate, and you may be certain I will keep your thoughts in mind as S. 2913 and other relevant legislation is considered. Thank you for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,

JOHN CORNYN
    United States Senator

Tam on
    edited May 2008
    You may be interested to learn that S. 2913 has been endorsed by the Recording Industry Association of America

Oh yeah, that just makes me feel so much better!

I filled out one of every letter and this is the only response I got back (like seven separate times)
    Dear Friend:

Thank you for contacting me regarding S.2913, the Shawn Bentley Orphan Works Act of 2008. I appreciate hearing from you on this issue.

As you may know, "orphan works" are typically defined as copyrighted works whose owner cannot be found. S.2913 seeks to limit damages in copyright infringement cases for users exhibiting orphan works.

This legislation is currently being considered by the Senate Judiciary Committee, of which I am not a member. Rest assured, I will keep your views in mind should S.2913 come to the Senate floor.

Again, thank you for writing to me. Please feel free to contact me again about any issue of importance to you.

Barbara Boxer
    United States Senator

Please visit my website at http://boxer.senate.gov

My name is Mars goddamnit, not Dear Friend. I feel almost as if my views haven't been kept in mind...

edited May 2008
    A couple of quick videos from fishing the other day.

One of the guys pulled in a 55 pound tuna.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg4vSH_aats

Video about the charter boat that we were on.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C73-dCiHsEw&NR=1

And one more of Kevin carving up a rather small tuna that we caught.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayp80DW-k_c

[edit] And some photos from the day.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26958573@N03/sets/72157605261391581/

Grifter on
    edited May 2008
    Well, I spilled water on my 80 GB iPod a while ago.

Water damage isn't covered by any warranty, and I can't seem to pry the damned thing open. Not that I want to risk messing up the delicate wiring.

It it doesn't dry up and clear up, I guess I'll try again.

And just this morning I ordered a fancy pair of headphones. At least I wasn't expecting to use them with my iPod in the first place.

Mangoes on
    edited May 2008
    Congratulations, you made an expensive doorstop!

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
    edited May 2008
    Congratulations, you made an expensive, relatively ineffective doorstop!

NightDragon on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited May 2008
    It's plenty effective. You just need a compatible Apple-brand white plastic door*.

MSRP $3199.95

EDIT: This Wendy's salad is trash.

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited May 2008
    I've heard of someone using them as a card holder before. Neat idea.

But not neat enough. Maybe I'll get me one of them there Zune toys.

Wait, strike that. Why the hell would I ever want to do something stupid like that?

Mangoes on
    edited May 2008
    Wow... so when I was formating my computer, I accidentally deleted the main partition on my back up hard disk...

Anyone got any recovery ideas? It's an internal drive that doesn't show up on the My Computer window (because I erased the main partition).

MagicToaster on
    edited May 2008
    Wow... so when I was formating my computer, I accidentally deleted the main partition on my back up hard disk...

Anyone got any recovery ideas? It's an internal drive that doesn't show up on the My Computer window (because I erased the main partition).

Ummm... deleting partitions is really bad and hard to recover from as far as I know. You can try using the disk management tools but generally I think you'll need to get some third party software to help you out.

Acronis Disk Director is a tool that I've used in the past to expand and shrink partitions. Take a look at it. It may be able to help your situation. It costs about $50.

Grifter on
This discussion has been closed.