As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I Need A New Game (DS and PS2)

Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam!with broken glassesRegistered User regular
edited May 2008 in Games and Technology
I'm almost finished The World Ends With You (love this game). The DS is region free, but I can only play PAL games on my PS2. I own:

DS games:

Mario Kart DS
New Super Mario Bros
Super Mario 64 DS
Pokemon Diamond and Pearl
Pokemon Blue Mystery Dungeon
Metroid Prime Hunters
LoZ: Phantom Hourglass
Guilty Gear Dust Strikers
Hotel Dusk
Phoenix Wright 1 and 2
Apollo Justice (not going to play this until I have bought and played Phoenix Wright 3)
Meteos
42 All Time Classics (also known as Clubhouse Games)
Animal Crossing
Elite Beat Agents

GBA games:

FFV
FFIV
Mario Kart Super Circuit

PS2 games:

Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2
FFX (I love this one) and X-2 (don't love this one)
FF12
Dirge of Ceberus (I love Vincent!)
God of War
Fatal Frame 2
Jax and Daxter, Jak 2, Jak 3
Devil May Cry
Fahenheit (this one is good)
MGS2 and 3 (liked MGS2, MGS3 not so much)
Psychonauts :)
Shadow of the Colossus (didn't like this)
Vexx

I want to pick up Rogue Galaxy, Shadow Hearts, Summoner or Summoner 2, Odin Sphere, and possiby XenoSaga. Are they any good?

I like RPGS (turnbased or whatever), puzzles, fighting games (like Mortal Kombat), racing games (like Mario Kart and WipeOut) and Pokemon.

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
Satanic Jesus on

• W2W2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time for the DS has kept me pretty well entertained so far.

W2 on
  • StasisStasis Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Rogue Galaxy is best described as mediocre. If you can find it in a bargain bin then yes, pick it up. Either that or rent it. It took a while for me to start enjoying it, but eventually it clicked and I had a good time with it. I still can't say it's good though. :lol:

Definitely pick up the first two Ratchet and Clank games (I've never played the third, so I can't recommend it.) I'm sure you can get them for a bargain by now and they're worth full price anyway.

Get the third Phoenix Wright. It's quite a bit better than the second one and maybe even better than the first.

Stasis on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    You're getting EO whether you like it or not.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, Rogue Galaxy is good until you reach the half-way point because then they just stopped caring and the story goes to absolute shit. Great graphics though.

Definitely pick up Shadow Hearts though. Fantastic games. Don't start on 2 or 3 without playing 1 though because 1 sets up the story for 2 and if you play 2 or 3 first you'll have a lot of trouble with the judgment ring in 1 because the colors are much duller.

Gilder on
  • SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I can Rogue Galaxy is good, as is Shadow Hearts although Shadow Hearts Covenant is better although you'd probably want to play SH1 first anyway. Other RPG recommendations include Radiata Stories, Dragon Quest 8, Grandia 3, Suikoden 5, Final Fantasy IV-V1 Advance, Castlevanias for the GBA and DS, Atelier Iris. So yeah.

Schide on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Shadow Hearts is great, and so are the Shin Megami Tensei games. In fact, they're the best JRPGs there are.

Xagarath on
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I just truncated a list I posted in another thread like a half-hour ago. I'll add comments...

-Devil May Cry 3 - totally better than 1, and even 4.
    -Ratchet & Clank Trilogy - awesomesauce.
    -The Hitman Trilogy - if you like thoughtful stealth games, you'll love this.
    -Prince of Persia Trilogy - also known as 'the good shit'.
    -Odin Sphere - is excellent - some people complain about the combat being shallow, but I loved it. The story, the audio, the graphics, all amazing - and I really enjoyed the combat.
    -Okami - frickin' masterpiece.
    -God Hand - go to youtube and enter god hand videogaiden in the search - it says it better than I ever could.
    -Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction - best superhero game ever.
    -GUN - best western ever.
    -GTA: San Andreas - best GTA short of 4
    -Fatal Frame 2 - scariest shit ever
    -Tenchu(s) - sneakiest ninjas.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
    edited May 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »
    Shadow Hearts is great, and so are the Shin Megami Tensei games. In fact, they're the best JRPGs there are.

This is not an accepted fact.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

I can dig it.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
    edited May 2008

It is in fact contradicted in the very post by mentioning Shadow Hearts in the same sentence.

Schide on
  • DelinatorDelinator Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I like RPGS (turnbased or whatever), puzzles,...

Puzzle Quest for the DS should make you happy.

Delinator on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Schide wrote: »

It is in fact contradicted in the very post by mentioning Shadow Hearts in the same sentence.

You're assuming that the "they're" didn't just refer to SMT, I see.

Xagarath on
  • ZuorZuor Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    God Hand.

Zuor on
  • MasoniteMasonite Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Shiren? I'm still at the puzzle dungeons, but that's because I haven't picked up my DS in close to two months.

Masonite on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Odin Sphere was terrible to me. The art was beautiful, but the game was just so fucking "meh" it's hard to believe.

Get anything SMT related. Seriously.

urahonky on
  • CrazybearCrazybear Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Limed for the truth, whole truth, and nothing but the freakin' truth. And that's the fact, Jack!

Persona 3 FES is a perfect example. You get the Persona 3 with some updates and changes, AND you get The Answer, which is a mini-followup to Persona 3. All for $30 bucks!

Gladius is also pretty damn good, a turn-based gladiator game.

Now for the DS, Professor Layton and the Curious Village, awesome puzzle game!

Crazybear on
    sig.gif
  • langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    You got balls to come around these parts and say you didn't like Shadow of the Colossus.

I also recommend the SMT games. I don't know if FES saw a PAL release, but from what I've gathered from these boards you can find all of the older ones easily in your region (cheap too).

langfor6 on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    langfor6 wrote: »
    You got balls to come around these parts and say you didn't like Shadow of the Colossus.

Oh you mean Boss Simulator? Yeah... Increase the FPS, and make it less of a chore to go from the temple to the other colossus... And maybe it'll be good.

urahonky on
    edited May 2008
    The SMT games are pretty average if you ask me. You always get the same thing out of them. Every once in awhile I get rebitten by the bug to play one after some forumers proclaim it to be the best thing ever, and then I play it.

Honestly I'm much more excited by EO than any of Atlus's other RPG efforts which are good but nowhere near the best ever. Unless you are some sort of goth kid or something.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • RonenRonen Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Oh man! I loved Elite Beat Agents and now I want more! Whatever shall I do?!?!?!?! O....

O...

O...

ouendaaaaan.png
    OUENDAAAAAAAAAAN!

OSU!

Pick up both Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! 1 and 2. I loved EBA and Ouendan is even better.

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    you could try Disgaea, its pretty great

Ah_Pook on
    edited May 2008
    Schide wrote: »

You're assuming that the "they're" didn't just refer to SMT, I see.

Ah, yes, the way you phrased it made me think you only meant the SMT games. My apologies then

Schide on
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
    Pre-Oder Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2

projectmayhem on
    edited May 2008
    [strike]Final Fantasy Tactics[/strike]
    Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
    Pre-Oder Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2

I agree 100%.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    langfor6 wrote: »

Oh you mean Boss Simulator? Yeah... Increase the FPS, and make it less of a chore to go from the temple to the other colossus... And maybe it'll be good.

I'm not saying that I love it, I've just noticed people tend to get defensive around here if you mention you don't like it.

Personally, I made it past the giant bird and started playing something else.

langfor6 on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    Odin Sphere was terrible to me. The art was beautiful, but the game was just so fucking "meh" it's hard to believe.

Get anything SMT related. Seriously.

The game takes a ridiculous amount of patience to see through, but once you get through the entire experience, there's nothing quite like it.

The story's epic in every sense of the word.

The gameplay, on the other hand... tedious is an understatement.

SotC is a fun single playthrough, but I wouldn't want to play it again.

The effect of the ending being a very big part of that.
    The SMT games are pretty average if you ask me. You always get the same thing out of them. Every once in awhile I get rebitten by the bug to play one after some forumers proclaim it to be the best thing ever, and then I play it.

Each SMT's a little different. Devil Summoner's an action RPG, DemiKids is a straight Pokemon-esque monster rancher, Persona (3) is part life sim, and Nocturne and the first two Personas are more about playing demonic diplomat.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png