As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Rain-Slick Precipice] Handling Bugs!

• ChanningChanning Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Running Vista.
    I was at Pelican Bay fighting the fruit fuckers that hop out of the milk cartons. Everything is going alright, Gabe is attacking with his special and just as it hits (the game slows down for a dramatic effect) I open up my character's item section so I can do something or other. After I selected my item, time does not resume normally and everything is still in slow motion. I use items to kill the fruit fuckers (as it's the fastest way) and I hoped that upon leaving the battle everything would be ok.
    No dice.
    Everything moves really slow. I though maybe zoning someplace else would change that; exit screen left. Nope, still slow. Go to Hobo Alley, still slow. Go to Anna's place, still slow. Quit the game and reload from save - slow.

Could be worse, I suppose. This could've been my first run-through.

Channing on
  • jayctravisjayctravis Registered User new member
    edited May 2008
    I'm using the Mac version and I've noticed that using the cat special attack in the giant Cthulu-Mime battle at the end consistently crashes the game to desktop. I'm submitting it as a bug to the developers.

jayctravis on
  • strangemusicstrangemusic Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    jayctravis wrote: »
    I'm using the Mac version and I've noticed that using the cat special attack in the giant Cthulu-Mime battle at the end consistently crashes the game to desktop. I'm submitting it as a bug to the developers.

This is TRUE! I am having consistent trouble with crashes to desktop (in Vista) fighting the final battle. Using the Kemper attack seems to kill my session every time, as well...

strangemusic on
    "Always be wary of people who use quotes... I don't know who said that" - Murdoc Nicalls.
    Those Eve guys are creepy. :|
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

This is TRUE! I am having consistent trouble with crashes to desktop (in Vista) fighting the final battle. Using the Kemper attack seems to kill my session every time, as well...

Grooming or Dooming indeed.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    Channing wrote: »
    Running Vista.
    I was at Pelican Bay fighting the fruit fuckers that hop out of the milk cartons. Everything is going alright, Gabe is attacking with his special and just as it hits (the game slows down for a dramatic effect) I open up my character's item section so I can do something or other. After I selected my item, time does not resume normally and everything is still in slow motion. I use items to kill the fruit fuckers (as it's the fastest way) and I hoped that upon leaving the battle everything would be ok.
    No dice.
    Everything moves really slow. I though maybe zoning someplace else would change that; exit screen left. Nope, still slow. Go to Hobo Alley, still slow. Go to Anna's place, still slow. Quit the game and reload from save - slow.

Did you try reusing Gabe's special to fix it?

JustinSane07 on
  • ChanningChanning Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Channing wrote: »
    Running Vista.
    No dice.

Did you try reusing Gabe's special to fix it?

I didn't think to do that. Oddly enough, I resumed playing today to try that out and everything was ok again. Nothing I did the day it happened seemed to fix it (including quitting the application) so I'm not really sure what resolved the issue. But, oh well, I'll take good news for no reason anyday.

Channing on
  • ArenowArenow Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Willeth wrote: »

Grooming or Dooming indeed.

It happens to me too. Windows XP, I can use Kemper against the first form of Chtumime, but using it a second time crashed the game three times in a row.

A pity, because in the end I had him with 1 point of life. It would have been EPIC.

Arenow on
    steam_sig.png
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Bug for the 360 console.

Concerning saved games and attempting to overwrite them with a new game. I've completed three games (and the game assigns it the "Completed!" status), and decided to overwrite one of them with a new game. I was allowed to save like usual (and it added to my Leaderboard). However when I quit and come back, instead of giving the timestamp it'll still show the new game I overwrote with as "Completed!", and it will not allow any saves or travel.

I found this out after the Shithole incident. I saved before it, came back later (saw "Completed!"), beat the incident then went to save afterwards and it was greyed out. Also after you attempt to load an overwritten "Completed!" travel is not possible, and since you can't save either any kills you get do not go towards your Leaderboard.
    I have this exact same problem (for the 360, too). I was going to replay the game to try to get the "Invincible" achievement and figured I would overwrite the one that I didn't get everything for (I have beaten it twice, the first time just playing for fun, and the second to collect all the concept art and stuff). Things were going fine, I was in the "Hobocide" part, then shut it off and took a break. When I came back, it said that I had completed it. I was confused, so I tried loading it, and it worked, but then I couldn't save, exact same problem as Ashendark, too. Anyway, just wondering if there was anyone I could contact about it, or if I just have to start a new save, which would mean I would only have 5 saves.

Would like to note this as well, also XBLA version.

Unfortunately there appears to only e one file for all the saves so I couldn't just get rid of the first one where I basically just goofed off. I really want to over write this with a new game but it seems I'm stuck with a busted save in perpetual limbo.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Captain ElevenCaptain Eleven The last card is a kronk Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Bug for the 360 console.

Concerning saved games and attempting to overwrite them with a new game. I've completed three games (and the game assigns it the "Completed!" status), and decided to overwrite one of them with a new game. I was allowed to save like usual (and it added to my Leaderboard). However when I quit and come back, instead of giving the timestamp it'll still show the new game I overwrote with as "Completed!", and it will not allow any saves or travel.

I found this out after the Shithole incident. I saved before it, came back later (saw "Completed!"), beat the incident then went to save afterwards and it was greyed out. Also after you attempt to load an overwritten "Completed!" travel is not possible, and since you can't save either any kills you get do not go towards your Leaderboard.

I had this exact bug also. Really, really annoying. ><

Captain Eleven on
    steam_sig.png
  • DingusDingus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Dingus wrote: »
    Wigwam the wrote: »
    I checked I have the correct system requirements- but on launch I get this problem:

broked

running demo on Windows XP.

Getting this on the demo as well :|

Same here, except I bought the full version (had played the demo on my brother's computer).

Anyone else having trouble with getting it to go on laptops? I guess I should e-mail my info to them and see if they have an answer.

Mine happens to be a laptop, yes.

Me too! We're like brothers in screwedness!

Anyone find a fix for this yet?

Dingus on
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I've been playing the 360 version and have encountered a couple of weird errors.

1. On the Flying Pricks mini-game I'll occasionally start the game (after winning a token or downing the carnie, usually) with just a black screen. If I hit B it exits me out of the mini-game and returns to normal, just thought it was odd.

2. There's a moment just past the cataract where a little object unleashes four fruit-fuckers. Using Gabe's third special causes massive slowdown and graphical corruption if used on all four. This didn't happen when using it on four mimes, clowns, hobos, or barbershopist. Only with the four simultaneous fruit fuckers.

Taramoor on
  • JDspeeder1JDspeeder1 Registered User new member
    edited June 2008
    I'm also having the crash-to-desktop bug when I use T. Kemper on The Silent One. Anyone have any luck fixing this?

JDspeeder1 on
  • durilupdurilup Registered User new member
    edited August 2008
    Crashes just after meny. How do i fix this?
    IMG:
    http://c.imagehost.org/0899/freeze.png

Log:

//
    8/12/2008 -- 02:23:25
    Language English [parpg/data/language/english.lso] activated.
    Language English [parpg/data/language/english.lso] activated.
    Video Init:
    Accelerated OpenGL display device detected.
    Activating the OpenGL display device...
    Creating new display window:
    > Creating window (desktop: 1280x1024 window: 806x627).
    > Retrieving device context from window.
    > Choosing pixel format.
    > Setting pixel format.
    > Creating OpenGL context.
    > Making OpenGL context current.
    > Initializing OpenGL extensions.
    > Intializing glew.
    > Testing OpenGL extensions.
    > Retrieving multisample pixel format.
    > Clearing current OpenGL context.
    > Deleting OpenGL context.
    > Releasing the window's device context.
    > Destroying the window.
    > Creating window (desktop: 1280x1024 window: 806x627).
    > Retrieving device context from window.
    > Setting pixel format.
    > Creating OpenGL context.
    > Making OpenGL context current.
    > Initializing OpenGL extensions.
    > Intializing glew.
    > Testing OpenGL extensions.
    > Showing window.
    > Clearing front and back buffers.
    > Display mode: window 800x600x32
    OpenGL driver information:
    > Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
    > Renderer: ATI Radeon X1200 Series
    > Version: 2.1.7537 Release
    > 4x FSAA supported
    Initializing toon shader:
    > Initializing fixed-function toon shader.
    > Initializing ARB per-fragment toon shader.
    > Vertex program counts:
    instructions: 25/256
    temporaries: 4/32
    parameters: 16/256
    attribs: 4/16
    address registers: 0/1
    > Fragment program counts:
    instructions: 0/96
    temporaries: 0/32
    parameters: 11/32
    attribs: 0/10
    alu instructions: 15/64
    tex instructions: 0/32
    tex indirections: 2/4
    parameters: 16/32
    alu instructions: 25/64
    tex indirections: 3/4
    parameters: 20/32
    alu instructions: 36/64
    parameters: 24/32
    alu instructions: 48/64
    parameters: 28/32
    alu instructions: 60/64
    instructions: 0/0
    temporaries: 0/0
    parameters: 0/0
    attribs: 0/0
    alu instructions: 0/0
    tex instructions: 0/0
    tex indirections: 0/0
    ! Failed to create fragment program, program exceeds native limits.
    > Terminating ARB per-fragment toon shader.
    Initializing light-count shader.
    > Vertex program counts:
    instructions: 12/256
    temporaries: 2/32
    parameters: 13/256
    attribs: 2/16
    parameters: 2/32
    alu instructions: 5/64
    tex indirections: 1/4
    Initializing mesh shader.
    > Vertex program counts:
    instructions: 12/256
    temporaries: 2/32
    parameters: 13/256
    attribs: 2/16
    parameters: 2/32
    alu instructions: 5/64
    tex indirections: 1/4
    SimSet::isMember: PlayGuiBase is not an object.

durilup on
  • ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Episode 2
    X-box 360
    Bug: Loaded my save from Episode 1. did not get the Mime costume.

Artoria on
  • HH JoelHH Joel Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    dragonsama wrote: »
    Episode 2
    X-box 360

There has been some confusion over this feature.

Can you confirm that you:
    - didn't delete episode 1
    - didn't delete your episode 1 save game
    - entered the Agency Screen, chose the coat rack and then selected equip

Joel

HH Joel on
  • ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    HH Joel wrote: »
    dragonsama wrote: »
    Episode 2
    X-box 360

There has been some confusion over this feature.

Can you confirm that you:
    - didn't delete episode 1
    - didn't delete your episode 1 save game
    - entered the Agency Screen, chose the coat rack and then selected equip

Joel

Never deleted EP1 or my save for it at all.
    Went into the Costume option on the agency Screen and no Mine outfit.

I played through the game without it and even got the safari outfit thinking that maybe I had to unlock a costume in order for it to show up and it never did.

I completed Ep1 and all my stats/items ported over to Ep2 just no Mine outfit.

Artoria on
  • lain of the wiredlain of the wired Registered User new member
    edited March 2009
    I haven't even gotten to start the bloody thing. I have Windows XP, and I keep getting this message:

Could not find a compatible display device!
    Make sure your display device supports OpenGL 1.2 and the following extensions
    ARB_texture_env_combine
    ARB_texture_env_dot3
    ARB_texture_env_compression
    ARB_texture_env_compression_s3tc
    EXT_blend_minmax
    EXT_blend_subtract
    EXT_blend_colot
    (EXT/SGIS)_texture_edge_clamp
    Review the console.log file stored in the local settings directory.

Honestly, I'm pretty code illiterate, so I really don't know what to do here. Help?

lain of the wired on
  • xbskidxbskid Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Who do I complain to about the lack of updates for Steam users? From what I've read, Episode One has received at least three updates and back-ports of the difficulty select and Insane Mode from Episode Two, yet, as a Steam user, the game has never updated for me. I can understand prioritizing Greenhouse users, but to completely neglect those who have still supported the game, though through an alternate distribution, is disheartening at best.

xbskid on
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I'm on Ep.1, Vista SP1, 8800GT (latest drivers), Q6600.

I seem to be getting these crashes, usually at the beginning or ends of fights, where the screen will just default to white and then as soon as I click it will give me the standard "this program is not responding" message.

On the upside, the game kicks ass. On the downside, it just crashes once every forty five minutes or hour. Anyone else seeing this problem with similar specs?

MrMonroe on
  • CDHedCDHed Registered User new member
    edited May 2009
    For some reason, the PS3 version of PAA Episode 1 only runs in black and white on my PAL SDTV. I got it from the Euro store (as far as I know), so I'm assuming it's not meant to be an NTSC game. Any ideas?

Thus far the game is fun, but if I wanted to play in black and white, I'd have bought Echochrome.

CDHed on
  • YamiB.YamiB. Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I have Episode 1 on Steam and I'm trying to play through on my laptop to get a complete save file before I buy Episode 2. The problem is that I'm currently in the Shithole at the point where you need to look into the rooms. At the point I click on any of the screen goes white and I get what seems to be the standard Steam crash message. I already tried to replay through to see if it was some problem with the save file, but I have gotten the same error at the same point.

I'm running on Vista, not sure what other information would be important.

YamiB. on
  • CagameloCagamelo Registered User new member
    edited May 2009
    I have Episode 1 on Impulse and it keeps crashing me to the desktop if I set the settings to High, instead of "standard".
    Running on Vista Business 64 bit.

System Specs: Intel E7300, Asus P5Q PRO, Powercolor HD4770 512mb, 4gb G.Skill DDR2 PC8500.

Cagamelo on
  • SIL0KKISIL0KKI Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    when xbox 360 penny arcade 2 bugs (achievement bugs) are fixed? first page was written allmost a year ago so how long i have to wait to get this game updated and working ? this collect or robot parts (or something like that) achivement dont work + game freezes if you fail final boss battle and try again..
    loading times are really frustrating, no other game loads lasts this long. no offence but im dissapointed as i spent 1200 ms-points for unfinished game which doesnt work properly

SIL0KKI on
  • ThePieThePie Registered User new member
    edited February 2011
    I continue to have my copy of Episode 1 crash as well. I also have a problem with Steam having next to no updates. There are far better updates on other services. Hopefully these problems can be fixed soon.

ThePie on
    I am the shred monkey. I do the shredding. Do you have a problem with that?
    I also find the funny facebook status ideas.
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    In the character creation screen the model is just a jagged mess of textures for me. Just a jumbled, jagged mess.

ATI Radeon 4850, Windows 7 64 bit, playing the first episode on Steam.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • TheRobotGuyTheRobotGuy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've got both games on PS3. I'm happy to report no glitches or bugs. I'm waiting for Episode 3.

TheRobotGuy on
    Fuck You Bottle is the name of my Jonathan Coulton cover band.
    edited March 2011
    Hunh, the jagged weirdness only happens with "high" graphics set. And it happens in the main game, too. Lots and lots of massively fucked up vertexes, and not much else.

I kind of wish there was an option for advanced settings...

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    edited March 2011
    So is there absolutely not a fix for high graphics settings being completely impossible to play? I mean standard is fine, but seriously.

It seems like it's a problem with the Radeon 4800 series.

Are there updates for the game?

This... kind of sucks.

durandal4532 on
    edited March 2011
    Any ideas to help would be nice, not that it'll actually affect the current game, as I'm close to finishing.

durandal4532 on
  • TriskTrisk Registered User regular
    Uhhh? Should I post Episode 3 bugs here?

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Sure thing

• TriskTrisk Registered User regular
    32-bit Windows 7, playing off Steam
    1)Fight BGM loops weird in boss fights and particularily the 'bonus boss' of the Colliseum, there's a good 10-15 second delay before the song loops with a very obvious and weird silence.

2)When loading a game immediately after beating it I noticed that the cursor stayed locked on the second save file and when I moved the sound effect played but the cursor did not move, visually, it did move but simply didn't update.

• RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    Just uploaded a new build that fixes the music for the bonus boss of the Coliseum and should fix the occasional load cursor glitch after beating the game.

• Xavier219Xavier219 Registered User new member
    I have tried reinstalling Precipice of Darkness 3, .NET, XNA 4.0, and Windows media player and rebooting after both the uninstall of each and when they were reinstalled. Also tried different compatibility modes and running it as an administrator. Anyone have any ideas. Let me know if more information is needed.

Here is the error report by windows

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
    Problem Signature 01: rainslick3.exe
    Problem Signature 02: 1.0.0.0
    Problem Signature 03: 4feb68a3
    Problem Signature 04: System.Xml
    Problem Signature 05: 4.0.0.0
    Problem Signature 06: 4ba1dfec
    Problem Signature 07: 216a
    Problem Signature 08: 22a
    Problem Signature 09: System.InvalidOperationException
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: 0a9e
    Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
    Additional Information 3: 0a9e
    Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

• NecroCoreyNecroCorey Registered User new member
    Found a bug whilst playing the 360 version of Ep. 3.
    I had it happen to me twice for the same reason, but in different areas.
    I was using Gabe on Masochist and if I would use an attack that would kill me (Triple Edge with only 13 HP) The game froze and I had to return to dashboard.

I had the issue once when I had first gotten Triple Edge (forgot where though) and again I had it happen while fighting a Fire Elemental in the Evil Kingdom area.

I just stopped using them if it would reduce Gabe to 1 HP and had no more problems, but I would prefer to use them low on health for the benefits.

• CTMCTM Registered User regular
    Not a bug per se, but a typo:

In Content/Dialogue.xml, line 664: "Near the door, jumbled with with the shrapnel of the ages, are a few stray brooches whose mystic origin is utterly without question."

Emphasis on the "with with".

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Does it still count as a Tychpo when it's not in the comic?

steam_sig.png
    NecroCorey wrote: »
    Found a bug whilst playing the 360 version of Ep. 3.
    I had it happen to me twice for the same reason, but in different areas.
    I was using Gabe on Masochist and if I would use an attack that would kill me (Triple Edge with only 13 HP) The game froze and I had to return to dashboard.

I had the issue once when I had first gotten Triple Edge (forgot where though) and again I had it happen while fighting a Fire Elemental in the Evil Kingdom area.

I just stopped using them if it would reduce Gabe to 1 HP and had no more problems, but I would prefer to use them low on health for the benefits.

That's already fixed in the PC version but I'm only able to submit patches for XBLIG every 7 days (and then they have to go through approval which takes at least an additional 2 days).

• BenHolidayBenHoliday Registered User regular
    OK, let me preface this by saying I REALLY loved this game. I was not looking for bugs, I was checking how different skills interacted with stat bonuses so I could plan my classes better. In doing so, I noticed a few bugs on the XBLIG version. That being said, these are the bugs I have found:

Descriptions “Errors”:

Necromancer:
    Bottled Rage deals non-elemental damage. This may be intended so it does not interact so strongly with Terrastigma stacked x 4, but the description calls it a Dark Magic attack.

Dark Pact adds Dark element to basic attacks, and boosts existing Dark damage sources, but does not boost the damage of a basic attack which now deals Dark damage. The description may be misleading.

Gumshoe:
    As above, but with Wind Missile. The description is misleading as basic attack damage does not increase unless the enemy is weak against Wind.

Crabomancer:
    Imitation Crab's description does not state that it hits the entire group. Though, that may be inferred due to the pun on the name …

Elemenstor vs other class wordings:
    Physical abilities for the Elemenstor are worded: “Light Ice physical attack” or “Medium Fire physical attack.” All other classes with physical elemental attacks (like the Gentleman) are worded “Light Wind attack All” or “Medium Holy attack.” The inclusion of the word physical in some skills as opposed to others may be misleading.

Masochist:
    Souleater / Soulfeast deals Dark damage but is not listed as Dark element in the description. It can easily be inferred from the name, however.

Diva:
    Spotlight has the same description as Leer, but is not self-only. Again, this can be inferred from the name.

Gardenar:
    Garden of Inspiring Breezes randomly gives 1 MP to 2 characters each round when used. This is likely intended, but the word random in the description would make it clear.

Class Skill Bugs:
    Hobo: +25 STR never gets an improvement, even though the Hobo learns STR +50, +75, and +100.

Slacker: Gadget Fanatic has no effect.

Gardenar: Smell the Roses has no effect.

Also, this is my first post on the forums … I signed up just to give feedback on this fantastic game. Can't wait to play more of these, and until then I'm gonna go play Cthulu Saves the World.

BenHoliday wrote: »
    Class Skill Bugs:
    Hobo: +25 STR never gets an improvement, even though the Hobo learns STR +50, +75, and +100.

Slacker: Gadget Fanatic has no effect.

Gardenar: Smell the Roses has no effect.

Also, this is my first post on the forums … I signed up just to give feedback on this fantastic game. Can't wait to play more of these, and until then I'm gonna go play Cthulu Saves the World.

These have all been fixed in the PC version for a while now but due to the way that XBLIG is set up, new builds can only be submitted after a 7 day period (and the game hasn't been on XBLIG for 7 days yet).

Also, Smell the Roses works just fine even in the XBLIG version, but the description is wrong - it's supposed to increase the speed of gardens.

The other things you mentioned are just description issues and can be easily modified.