As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Constructive Criticism

• PhawxPhawx Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I bought it for 360 so I can't manipulate any files. But I do agree with you however that the battle system fucking rocks.

Phawx on
  • devotfeigedevotfeige Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I figure the 'constructive criticism' thread pretty much serves the same purpose as a comment drop box, so rather than waste space starting new boards, here we go...

Things I would like to see more of:
    1. Depth to dialog trees. Being able to influence the conversations and the resulting reactions (such as 'siding' with either Gabe or Tycho in both the 'estranged speech habits' and the 'stealing hair off of corpses' scenes) is great, but I do wish there were more instances of that and that they could go further than just one or two alternate lines.
    2. A wider array of character portrait expressions for the dialog scenes would be great; there were a number of times things seemed a little awkward simply due to there not being an expression that suited the situation particularly well. *shrugs* Nit-picking, I know.
    3. More puzzles please and thanks. Already heard this has been addressed in Episode Two; glad to hear it.
    4. Enemy respawning would be nice, although with the way the leveling system seems to work, there's not really a point to that... I'm not sure how that would be worked around, but I just thought I'd mention it because there were points where rather than going on to face the next boss or challenge I really would have preferred to just fool around and practice my special attacks some instead.
    5. Echoing everyone's cries of more customization for the player's character.
    6. BACK STORY! The tidbits about Gabe and Tycho's lives and the creation of the Startling Developments detective agency had my interest piqued--further added to by the four-page comic that led up to the game's release. I'm calling Gabe on his relayed-news post a few days back and demanding/politely requesting some of that background info he mentioned (Tycho and those 'lectures', too). I think it's safe to say we're interested, and that--as always--we do indeed like text. :wink:

As far as the complaints about length I've heard around; the game took me ~11 hours or so from start to finish, all collectibles and whatnot accounted for. The thing is that the game FEELS so much faster than that. I have no idea why. I'm replaying it now and trying to figure that one out, but really I guess the only answer I can come up with is that it's too damn much fun and you hate to see it over when it's done. :P

All of that said: very solid game, immensely satisfying to play as a fan of the comic, and I can hardly wait to see what's next~ <3 I have faith that it can only get better from here.

devotfeige on
    sig.gif
  • Dr_ZaiusDr_Zaius Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    this may be difficult to code. you probably don't have a physics engine but I'd like the mini games to be a 3D "real" game.

especially "balls and holes", it felt very difficult to control properly.

Dr_Zaius on
    gamertag: Zaius3000

(it's Zay-us not Z-eye-us)
  • MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'd much rather Pelican Bay be chalked up as an unfortunate mistake, and never attempted again.

Mumblyfish on
  • KurtKurt Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I feel that Gabe's special moves were very annoying to do. Spamming the space bar until my keyboard breaks is not really my idea of fun, but on the other hand the Main Characters and Tycho's special moves were unique and fun to do.

Overall I really enjoyed the game but I ended up never using Gabe's special attacks and use him as my item mule. It would be really great to see in the next episode that you guys would avoid the "Single button spam it as hard as you can to win" mechanic for specials.

Kurt on
  • yuttyutt Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I with preface by saying I loved the game.

I felt the game's "value" was probably closer to $15. I'm just being honest, $20 is close enough to not_real_money that I'm not upset in any way. Just comparing to other games I can get at the price range, their length and production quality; Rain Slick E1 doesn't quite meet that bar.

For now I considered it an investment in the continuation of the series, but I sincerely expect future episodes to either be meatier or cheaper.

Let's see if I can think of other nitpicks...

The character customization was a bit underwhelming. I was honestly shocked that you even included females since it clearly was unfinished. Males were a little better off, but not much.

I've mentioned this on the Greenhouse site, but the carnival games were truly poor. There are flash advertisments with comparable gameplay and quality.

The team up attacks, as mentioned above, rarely seemed worth the investment. I realize given their implementation they can't be too powerful, which is why I would suggest changing the way they work, possibly giving them a seperate cooldown similar to the summons.

Gabe's special ability was sort of annoying. First I mash my keyboard insanely quickly, then I have to immediately stop and press it at an exact time? It really seemed to work against itself and have a rather poor design. Tycho's and Yutt's systems were much better.

The group Weaksauce debuff coming from enemies was *extremely* annoying. It needlessly lengthened fights without making them at all more fun or challenging.

I would have loved to have acheivements on the PC version. It was kind of disappointing to find out they weren't added. :/

Having more random respawning mobs could have added some more challenge and fun. After your first clear through an area the whole world became barren.

>_<

I know that seems like a lot, but I am racking my brain here trying to think of every minor niggle I can. I loved the game and just want the next to be even more awesomer.

yutt on
  • devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    They should survey all the people who have bought the episode from Greenhouse in about a month's time.

devoir on
  • Kenny28Kenny28 Registered User new member
    edited May 2008
    20 bucks was a bit much. I would've been more comfortable with 15, easy.

Examining items on the 360 was a pain. It'd be nice if I could "target" with the triggers like in KOTOR or something. Also, readable text for folks who DON'T have super expensive HDTVs. I had to squint quite a bit.

Kenny28 on
  • MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    yutt wrote: »
    The group Weaksauce debuff coming from enemies was *extremely* annoying. It needlessly lengthened fights without making them at all more fun or challenging.
    I can only recall two enemies who used such an ability, and they were both bosses. There were a few means of countering this. The obvious, and easy solution is that a perfect block or counterattack prevents the effect from being applied. Solution two is to remove the effect by using one of the positive effect items. It's (fairly) assumed that you will start a boss fight with a full stock, and the effect does not have to be removed on characters who aren't using physical attacks. Solution three is to not let the boss use that attack at all. Chain support characters, offensive items and normal attacks so that the "player turn" effectively never ends.

Mumblyfish on
  • DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Mumblyfish wrote: »
    I'd much rather Pelican Bay be chalked up as an unfortunate mistake, and never attempted again.

What's wrong with Pelican Bay? I thought it was fun killing clowns and mimes and a barber shop quartet. I hate all those people.

Drool on
  • zelgadissanzelgadissan Registered User new member
    edited May 2008
    Add a ditto from me on the 360 textsize. I never did actually learn how much HP my dudes had and rarely saw how much damage they took, I just had to go off a colored bar and a suddenly grayed out dude.

Amazing game, BTW. I personally compare it to Portal:

20 bucks? Check.
    Knew it would be awesome before going in? Check.
    Came out even more awesomisized? Check.
    Great gameplay? Check.
    Hilarious? Check.
    Wish it was longer? Check.
    Can't wait for extended sequel? Check.

Keep it up guys.

zelgadissan on
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008

Christ, you're a negative Nancy, the mini games were cute and simple, there was nothing wrong with them at all.

sarukun on
    edited May 2008
    And it's not like you had to do them very often. The balls in holes one, but even that one I only muffed up a couple of times. You have to do each one 5 times from memory?

devoir on
    edited May 2008
    I only just discovered that you can cause the carny bodily injury in two of the three Pelican Bay mini-games.

Fuck yes.

These have officially been bumped up to among my favorite parts of the game.

devotfeige on
    sig.gif
  • David J ProkopetzDavid J Prokopetz Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Most of the obvious ones have already been covered in detail, but I'd like to touch on one that's been mentioned in passing: the lack of options for female characters. Unless I'm missing something, it breaks down like this (male/female):

Body shape: 3/2
    Head shape: 5/2
    Hairstyles: 8/8*
    Eyebrows: 5/1 (!)
    Eyes: 5/2
    Noses: 5/2
    Mouths: 8/2 (!!)

That's a pretty sorry showing. Yes, I realise that there's an argument to be made that it wouldn't have been an effective expenditure of development resources to put more than a token effort into the options for female characters, since the vast majority of the target audience consists of men who will prefer to play male characters, but it's still irksome. The perennial tendency for all female video game protagonists to look pretty much the same apart from their hairstyles has been annoying me more and more lately, and it's jarring to see it crop up even in a game that theoretically lets you design your own character. This isn't a political correctness thing - I just like being able to tell my protagonists apart.

(Or, if you'd prefer me to phrase it in a slightly more inflammatory manner: give me distinguishing features or give me death! :P )

* As a personal peeve, I'm annoyed that female characters can't wear the top hat (who doesn't love ladies in top hats?), but I suppose that's compensated for by the larger hat selection.

David J Prokopetz on
  • PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I actually didn't make a male character. I just assumed there were not a lot of options all around.

I think the game needs brightness and other simple display options.

Next time they should just get Sleeves to do the narration. It would make the voice-over bits a million times more amazing.

http://www.atomsmotion.com/ (For reference. I think Episode #32 is on the front page and should give a good idea of what I mean)

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • JaysonAychJaysonAych Registered User new member
    edited May 2008
    I just finished the X360 version of the game last night...great great fun. The dialog, the jokes, and the storyline were excellent. I was laughing aloud at much of the game, and I had a good time with it. I enjoyed the combat system quite a bit. One of my favorite RPG combat systems is Grandia II, and the timing system involved in the attacks on this game reminded me quite a bit of that. The game's simple-to-use pick-up-and-play interface are very engaging.

As far as things that could be improved, I do have the following recommendations:

The dialog text was very difficult to read at times. I played this game on a couple of different SDTVs, and even with component cables and using the game's picture zoom feature to enlarge things a bit, the text was still hazy and often required squinting. I was showing this game to my father, who's 54 and uses reading glasses, and it was difficult for him to read most of the time, especially when it came time to choose what you wanted to say. It seemed there was plenty of room to make the text more legible, and that was probably my #1 gripe with the game.

The game was a bit too easy for my tastes. As fun as the combat system was, it didn't require much time to master, and I never really felt like I was in danger of royally messing up. If it was a relaxing, methodical experience that was desired, I think it went a bit too far in that direction. The items were extremely easy to acquire what with the immediate respawning of items once one returned to an area, and at times very unbalanced. I never really felt like I might have a chance of losing a fight until the very last battle. A lot of the offensive items needed to be more difficult to attain or use (for instance, maybe throwing a Hot Toddy should require a bit of extra controller manipulation a la the characters' special attacks to get the full effect). The puzzles were also not very difficult to figure out, and needed to broken up a bit with different ways of achieving goals rather than the bring-this-guy-something-so-you-can-get-that formula. The mini-games at Pelican Bay were a good idea to help break that up, but they were also pretty easy. All of the above made for a great interactive story, but it was not a very challenging game.

That being said, I'm very much looking forward to the next episode.

JaysonAych on
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    My ideas are few and far between, and hinge mostly on convenience.

1. A run button, or if that seems nuts the ability to switch rapidly between panels if you've already visited the one you're headed for (and there are no enemies in the way)

2. I agree that the Gabe specials need a different mini-game just to avoid that certain tediousness. You've got timed button presses with the player, sequenced button presses with Tycho, and I think something akin to a slot machine or the swing meter from Gladius might suit Gabe's "Brute Force" characterization a little better. For some reason I keep thinking of the Tifa limit break from FF7 as a good example, but can't be sure.

3. Implementing mini-games for the support characters to maximize damage might also be a lot of fun.

I'll have more once I finish, probably, but I'm taking my time, so we'll see.

Taramoor on
  • DraxoDraxo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    You can kind-of, sort-of do that in Precipice. The save files are easily read and altered in notepad.

I have had a look, but cannot find any save files named 'savegames' or the save file name.. where are the save games stores? Are they hidden?

Draxo on
    edited May 2008
    C:\Documents and Settings\(Your user name)\Local Settings\Application Data\HotheadGames\RainSlickEp1

devoir on
  • DraxoDraxo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Afraid i'm using Vista.

I can see the folder, ive explored it, I just see no save game files in the main folder or any subfolders.

[edit] I dont want to spam the thread any more, so i'm just going to put a note here that I cannot find the save games, if anyone else is on Vista and could find them, please give directions, thank you =)

Draxo on
    edited May 2008
    Do a file search for "*_autosave.sav"

devoir on
  • Archr5Archr5 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    the controls on the 360 are a little off. I like combat, but exploration needs a "cycle through nearby targets" button or a "stand still and look around" targeting reticle. I have a feeling that I missed collectibles on my first play through because I couldn't wheel my dude around in the exact correct direction to get the examine option to show up. I mean I clicked on everything I could discover while going long the perimeters (and interior walls) of every location and i still didn't find everything.

Other than that my only complaints are that i want more of everything, more basic attack options, more fluff more enemies.

Archr5 on
    somalia_banner.jpg
  • ShujaaShujaa Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Just finished it on the PC.

Writing, art and audio were superb.

Very polished, aside from 2 of the carnival games. The balloon one seemed fine, the other two just seemed unfinished. I would have been happy with them if they had something funny or interesting in them. Maybe some way for your guys to cheat (I spent several rounds of Flying Pricks trying to down the carnie, and got a token when I succeeded :) ). There could have been a way to make Tycho to use his gun on the bottle one (maybe if you knock out the carnie again!)

I really liked the one buff/debuff system in the combat, and the items too. Especially how most bosses were not immune to debuffs, which really annoys me in other games of this style.

- I'd like the team-attacks to be fleshed out a bit better, give them special effects like inflicting weaksauce/sloth for example, or good area-effect damage
    - The dialogue exchanges in certain battles went way too fast for me read it all, since I was too busy clicking stuff to realise it was happening. pause the battle timer while it goes on or something
    - The overkill system seemed a bit unrewarding to me, and i maxed it out on 2 of my guys. The damage increase just seemed low. I think it should let you choose to boost a stat of your choice (damage/speed/health), which would also let you customise your characters a little

The length was a little on the short side for me, but I'm hoping that with the groundwork laid in this episode, it'll give you more time to spend fleshing out the game in future instalments.

Shujaa on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    Xbox 360 version here...

My only issue was finding objects on the main maps. Using the D-Pad or Right Stick to cycle through the objects would have made tremendous difference in picking up items and checking places for hidden content.

Well, I lied, I had one other very minor issue. Some sort of movement button, to make your characters run would be nice for the main maps. Going back across an entire zone for one thing was a little bit slow and annoying.

JustinSane07 on
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Art and cutscenes are absolutely gorgeous, sometimes the 3D parts (I played a female character with glasses) looked a bit odd, sometimes they looked perfect. If the price is going to stay the same, please offer a bundle a la Sam and Max at a cheaper price for collected episodes.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Hardly a spoiler, but I will protect it anyways.
    The carnival games were really boring and just poorly designed. It was tedious to have to play game after game just to get the coins. The only one that was at least somewhat interesting was the darts one. The others were just "click at the right times."
    The only one I didn't like was the "break the bottles" one, because the timing seemed off. Aside from that I thought they were easy and quick enough to be sorta fun.
    Once I found out I could peg the duder in the sack, I was less concerned with the tedium

Meiz on
  • SykusSykus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Just gonna weigh in on a few of the issues here.

Combat system: Loved it. It had to grow on me because at first I had a lot of the same complaints (screen too busy, things charge up too slow, special attacks are useless, difficulty spikes, etc). But I realized a basic rule - blocking takes priority over selecting items or queueing attacks. Once you start playing that way, the system becomes manageable (and fun) and the difficulty goes from crazy to manageable.

Combat difficulty: Special attacks charging up too slow? Use a haste item. Enemies too tough? Debuff them or buff yourself, find their strengths in the dossier and counteract them with your items. I actually felt this was a rare game that not only encouraged but damn near required you to use the items you pick up. It's easy to stay at the max quantity for those items and their presence added a nice level of strategy to the combats. The only gripe I have about the buffs and debuffs is that it is hard to tell which buffs and debuffs are up at any given time - all the icons by the health bars look the same. It would be nice, if you hover over or select a given character/enemy, if a comprehensive list of their applied status effects would display somewhere.

One other suggestion for ep 2: while I loved "double mild weak sauce" it would be kind of cool to have the different characters capable of certain buffs/debuffs. Would add a level of strategizing. "Do I use Tycho's speed debuff, or do I use his atk buff on a PC?" Instead of just having every character self-buff, or every character debuff the boss in a round-robin fashion.

Price Point: I got no problem paying $20 for the first title. They had to set up the engine, get the basics down, and I gotta say it is damn fine first effort. There's a lot of love in this title and it shows. I really enjoyed it not just as a PA novelty, but as a game. It grabbed me and pulled me away from WoW for a little while, and not much can do that these days : )

Now, that said, it would be nice if the next game were either longer, or the price came down a bit. $20 for a 6 hour title is fine for a novelty, but is not really sustainable in the long term I don't think. I'd buy episode 2 at $20, but if the engine was much the same as Ep 1, I'd probably pass on Ep 3 without a change in price.

Sykus on
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Something that would be interesting for the special attack mechanic may actually be to switch it to a limit-break type system. Just a random thought.

ASimPerson on
  • tehgamer74tehgamer74 Registered User new member
    edited May 2008
    As much as the writing grabbed me, I had to shelve it. I am lousy at a game unless I can pause the combat. I was looking forward to this game ever since it was announced. Pardon me while I go cry myself to sleep.

tehgamer74 on
    edited May 2008
    tehgamer74 wrote: »
    I am lousy at a game unless I can pause the combat.

Opening up the item inventory pauses the combat. It's difficult to tell, but it halts anything that wasn't already in effect before you clicked the inventory. Try that.

(Try opening the inventory while somebody/something is attacking and just watching to see what I mean. If stuff continues to happen, then that was already in effect. If you wait long enough, actions will cease and you can do whatever it is you normally need to do with paused combat.)

devotfeige on
    sig.gif
  • JazmeisterJazmeister Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Opening the inventory stops all the recharge timers. You can concentrate on blocks and stuff.

I've found that you're actually screwing yourself if you do this while one of your own party is attacking, using an item, or one of your summons appears; normally, they wouldn't be charging, but you would. Now, neither of you are; you threw away your advantage.

Jazmeister on
  • OberonfoxOberonfox Registered User new member
    edited May 2008
    Enjoyed the game, and here's my 2 cents.

Combat was enjoyable, the characters were hilarious and I was pleasantly surprised how well the art transitioned into 3D.

All three characters felt the same, they just attacked. Whether it was punch,rake or gun there was no real difference in the play style for any of them. I was seriously disappointed that Tycho had no 'spells' at his disposal given his eldritch knowledge of things profane and arcane. He carried a damn book, why didn't he learn anything?

I'll mimic the lament at the lack of any true detective work done. Claire, although a great opportunity for dialog, was little more than a plot advancer with very little reward. The investigative service was completely incapable of progressing further at Anything without the help of a niece? Doesn't really make much sense given the supposed expertise of Tycho and Gabe.

I longed for more combat encounters like the early fruit fucker swarm in the first level where they kept arriving and lengthening the battle. 3vs2/3/sometimes4 got repetitive.

-differentiation between characters please
    -customization of stats and items. (rakes are only funny for so long)
    -needs more arcana
    -team ups reworked (added benefit for use?)

hope this made sense.

Oberonfox on
  • KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The criticisms I'd levy are ones that have been put forward before, but I'll repeat them for the sake of adding another voice to the chorus.

It would be nice to have even a rudimentary class system. Something as simple as a choice, made at character generation, between being the glass cannon, the tank, or the support unit would be a wonderful addition for at least two reasons. First of all, the player spends a great deal of time in combat, so allowing them to define (however crudely) their combat abilities would improve their sense of projection into the world. It would also greatly improve the replay experience by giving the player a completely different set of combat experiences to explore.

I don't really like that the difference between the different levels of special attacks are merely a matter of degree. The difference between the player's three special attacks are increased damage output and a stronger "bleed" effect at the cost of having to clear a harder minigame. The problem is that once you master the highest level, you functionally have one special move: the best one. The other two are superfluous. The story is pretty much the same for Tycho. Only Gabe has a real tactical choice between a weaker version that hits all enemies and the level below it, which does more damage to a single target. From a strategic standpoint, it's frustrating knowing that I have a few options sitting around which are basically irrelevant. I'd prefer to see the weaker abilities remain relevant, but in fewer situations than the higher-level abilities. If you'll indulge the armchair game designer in me, here's an example based on a hypothetical support-type character:

First-tier power: An attack with roughly the same power as a normal strike. Performed well, it inflicts a random debuff on the target.
    Second-tier power: Shields the player from debuffs temporarily. Performed well, the effect extends to the rest of the party.
    Third-tier power: Heals and gives a random buff to the player. Performed well, the effect extends to the rest of the party.

I'll admit that they're a bit skewed and would require some balancing, but it demonstrates my point. There's a reason to use all of these powers. The third-tier power is the strongest by far, but if the party is already buffed and at full health the second-tier power becomes more significant, since it allows the player to prevent the party from losing its advantageous position. Once the shield is in effect (and if the party isn't taking a great deal of damage), they can then go on the offensive with the third-tier power. It allows for a great deal more decision-making on the player's part than going straight to "strongest rake attack possible".

Moving away from that subject, I think it's annoying how use of special attacks and regular attacks are mutually exclusive. As has been noted before, high-level play tends to involve a flurry of normal attacks, support characters, and attack items while special attacks fall by the wayside if your Overkill bonus is maxed out. I think a workable solution would be to allow the special attack initiative to continue to fill even if other actions are used, but it freezes momentarily when some action is performed. That is, if the player chooses to use a normal attack, it means that it will take longer for the special attack initiative to fill up, but it will still fill eventually. Then the player must make another decision: special attacks either soon or eventually, as opposed to never and good riddance.

Thank you for your hard work on Penny-Arcade Adventures, and thank you for your time spent in reading this humble forum post. I look forward to Episode 2 and the continued saga of the Startling Developments Detective Agency!

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Uhg I wish you hadn't said anything about the save file, its spoiler for the next episode in there for sure. (I was going to give myself the extra overkills since I had been farming them but have grown tired of doing so and Im at the last boss)

I loved the game, I just had a crash at 1000 life left on the final boss......

My only issue with the game so far, is gabes special. It fits perfectly with his style, and attitude (SMASH EVERYTHING TO MAKE IT WORK), but it just sucks to do compared to the rest of the moves. I personally feel like I shouldn't complain, because I cant think of a better way to handle his attacks. More of the short cutscenes could work well in this, I felt like they were very limited so far in such that when they did come up, it was a reall head scratcher.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I keep getting this icon with the SD logo and a Y button in the upper right corner of the screen but I have no clue what the hell it's for. I tried going to the SD office and clicking on everything but no luck.

edit: Hey I figured that out finally...after completing the game....

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • tehgamer74tehgamer74 Registered User new member
    edited June 2008
    Wow, I need to slow down and pay more attention to things. I was making it harder than it is. I made some decent progress last night. Thanks.

As far as the setting, I dig the 1920s and think that is a great idea. As far as the main character's weapon, I think an umbrella would also be cool. Remember, almost everyone owned one back then. They protect you from the elements and you can beat the snot out of somebody if need be. You can also have a gun and a shot glass built into it. In addition, they are quite stylish.

Yeah, it would make sense if Tycho had spells or some skills befitting a person whose head is always in a book. And the niece is definitely underused. Good stuff here, though.

tehgamer74 on
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    My only real criticism is that I want more. If it's the same length in episode 2, I will be slightly disappointed. Another hour or two would have been awesome.

Also, in the characters dossier, there should be the ability to see the character/enemy model in 3d. Let me rotate the model around and admire the excellent animation. Make the attack names clickable, so that when click it I can see the 3d model do it. I just love all the models and animations in the game, id love to be able to see them whenever I want.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Here are the main things I would like to mention:

1. price. $20 for ep1? Ok. $20 for every other one? hmmm.... no
    2. The flow of the game is a little wierd. I got stuck when I could go to pelican but couldn't get in. I then went back and had to search every area until I found the urinoligist. It felt a little clumsy.
    3. Weirdly enough, I think the main thing this game has going for it is humor, so you need to focus on that even MORE. More little funny things, More inside jokes.
    4. Character development lacking

I liked it, no doubt.

altmann on
    Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • cixelsyDcixelsyD Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I played through 3 times, and here's what I think could be improved. These things probably have been mentioned, but if they're mentioned more than once it will probably give them more weight.
    - Customization of weapons. Maybe something like making specials do more for less normal attacks. Or attaching items to your weapons (like materia...?) so that your attacks can give statuses for a drawback.
    - More combos for 2x or 3x attacks. Since you get new specials for individual attacks, why not for combo attacks too! Maybe if you use a certain 2x attack enough times you can level it up.
    - More cutscenes. I know this is gonna be improved on in ep. 2 but I really enjoyed them. Though that's a lot of work for Gabe to make them.
    - Harder puzzles. Most of the puzzles in ep 1 consisted on clicking on things to pick something up, and then finding out you had to use them later... not very hard (like the switch for madame zodora). Or they were just roaming around killing everything, like "silence the laughter". I'd really like something clever that makes me say "oh that's neat and makes sense when you think about it" when it gets solved.
    - Just a little less linearity. Everything felt like it had to be done in an order in ep 1. But maybe that's for the best since enemies later can kick you around like nothing if you haven't leveled up on all the weaker people.

cixelsyD on