As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gods and Mortals [Phalla] - Game Over: Village Victory!

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Only the dead can be seered at the moment LPM.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008
    Only the dead can be seered at the moment LPM.

She's talking to whoever the other seer might be. Shamus just got his role as dead-seer guy. I think we're all assuming one of the objects allows seering or one of the initial roles passed out was a seer role.

Medopine on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Fuzzy being a villager doesn't mean that he knows anything about who to vote. I hate it when people throw up the "If I die, look at these people tonight" things.

It only confuses and causes problems 90% of the time.

That being said, I still don't know who I am voting for, but I have a good idea.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    VarcaynVarcayn Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Richy wrote: »
    Anyway, that leaves !Varcayn, who has not been very active or useful so far anyway.

My apologies, I have been quite busy the last couple days. That's all over now though, and I think I've had time to catch up and grasp everything. This is one of the more complex phallas I've been in.

First, Red Bird, in the interest of self-preservation. I RNG'd it between him, Satan, and Aldo. DUE is the only other one with a vote and I'm willing to give him another day, even if he is using rather suspect logic at time.

I agree with most of you who are saying that the items could be randomly assigned to followers of the snake, raven, and I guess now West Wind, thanks to Shamus' reveal. We should not blindly trust those who receive an item.

I'm not inactive, and will continue following the thread, and I'd like to see some of the questions already posed to Shamus, specifically relating to his abilities, answered.

Varcayn on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I am going to !vote Ultarune.

Dispite the popular vote, he chose to kill Fuzzy by using his dust.

Not only can that be seen as going against the village, it is downright rude.

I don't trust him farther than I can throw him.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm waiting on this one. We still don't have any good choices, dammit.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    I am going to !vote Ultarune.

Dispite the popular vote, he chose to kill Fuzzy by using his dust.

Not only can that be seen as going against the village, it is downright rude.

I don't trust him farther than I can throw him.
    To be fair, the way in which the vote violently swung away from fuzzy on day one was a bit suspicious. I can kind of see why he would have done that.

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I don't care. If he wanted to try and convince the village otherwise, he should have done better.

Instead, he took it upon himself to change the outcome.

And I think that makes him more suspect than anyone else here (other than DUE)

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Given an item that affects voting, I don't find it odd that you'd use it as you see best.

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    El Skid wrote: »
    Given an item that affects voting, I don't find it odd that you'd use it as you see best.
    Then consider my vote a grudge vote.

I don't like how he used it, especially since I trusted Fuzzy.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    !durax

I think it's kind of weird that somebody went out of their way to pull him out of the fire yesterday, going as far as using up a (presumably one-shot) item that (presumably) could have been saved for later.

but on the off chance that the item is reusable, I don't want to vote off the person that actually has it.

But there are still no good choices today and I'm more than willing to change this vote if somebody points out how I'm stupid.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    HilgerHilger Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm going to vote !Ultarune

He deliberately swung the vote to FCC, who most of us believed was innocent. At worst, he's a baddie who got a villager killed on purpose, at best he deliberately contradicted the will of the majority and might pull that kind of bullshit again.

Hilger on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »
    I think it's kind of weird that somebody went out of their way to pull him out of the fire yesterday, going as far as using up a (presumably one-shot) item that (presumably) could have been saved for later.

but on the off chance that the item is reusable, I don't want to vote off the person that actually has it.
    According to the three alleged item holders who came forward, the items are one-day only, then they are randomly given to someone else. That seems to imply they are not one-shot (as the first person to get them would use them and that would be it for the game).

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2008

According to the three alleged item holders who came forward, the items are one-day only, then they are randomly given to someone else. That seems to imply they are not one-shot (as the first person to get them would use them and that would be it for the game).
    Didn't DUE say he could save his item for later?

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Hmm...

Still is weird that durax got saved. I mean, there wasn't anything that really made him any more believable than FCC, other than FCC's crazy rants.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    James wrote: »
    I'm curious about your seer role. Does this mean you seer the dead or you can seer whether or not they're Syl's Champion (who I guess is undead)?

You say the dead do come back to life "in a fashion." Do you have more info on this? Are we going to see people actually come back or will they just have some power beyond the grave?

Not sure exactly on how the undead mechanics work. All I know is that I can choose one of two actions; I can either seer a dead person, to see if they have come back, or I can "destroy" an undead, and send them back to hell. I put destroy in quotations, because if I target someone who isn't an undead, I really don't do shit to them.

My role is permanent.

Also, I have no ability to affect anyone else but the dead. This leads me to believe that the Champion is one of the dead, as I need to destroy him or her.

Furthermore, this puts us in an interesting situation. Aside from my village win condition, I'm no real threat to the Twins and their pawns. My abilities don't work on them. The only threat I pose is by voting for one of them. In my opinion, it doesn't seem like the Twins and Syl would be up for sharing the world, once this is all done and over.

What I'm proposing is, that the agents of the Twins don't attempt to kill me. Leave me alone until I can find the shared threat in our midst. Once that's finished, feel free to disembowel me, pluck my eyeballs out, or both.

Shamus on
  • Options
    edited May 2008

Didn't DUE say he could save his item for later?

Yes.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Hmm...

Still is weird that durax got saved. I mean, there wasn't anything that really made him any more believable than FCC, other than FCC's crazy rants.
    Well honestly, I almost voted for FCC myself to put an end to the crazy ranting :P

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I haven't read the thread, still at work. Ultarune for saying he hated me night one. I hope to get back home before vote closes.

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Hmm...

Well honestly, I almost voted for FCC myself to put an end to the crazy ranting :P
    He was only ranting because this happens to him every game.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    UltaruneUltarune Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I used my item because the monkey said I couldn't save it and there would be consequences if I didn't use it. I swung the vote from durax to fuzzy in order to prove I had the item, not for any disrespect of the villages voice or favorism over one or the other. If it had been Fuzzy 1 vote over durax I would have used the powder as well. I hadn't thought of comparing pms in order to validate item holders because its banned in the op and is frankly unsporting. It would seem some of us have a simple difference of opinion on the validity of items falling in evil people's hands. You guys seem to think its gamebreaking for the village to only receive them but don't think its gamebreaking for the evil players to receive them. I can't say anything to that except I disagree.

Ultarune on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I don't think we should fault someone for using a one shot item when there is a network. Dying with an item feels much worse than using it on your volition.

Ultrarune is either a good villager who held and item and wanted to prove it (how else could he prove it the vote was nearly tied) a baddie with an ability, or in the worst case scenario a baddie with an item.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Comparing PMs is not the same as paraphrasing.

Ulta, what about 4 (or 5) fucking free seerings a night is not broken.

Random is equal. Not random is not equal.

I can't wait until the end of the game where LaOs calls you a moron. Then again, he'll probably nicer about it, but I think you should know better by now.

Edit: ANd I don't "think" that evil people can get items, I know it 100%. I would bet on it every time and put phallas up as the bet. I will quit phallas forever if baddies can't get items. That's how sure I am.

I like to think that I know a thing or two about the gameplay that goes into these.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    You keep saying that these seerings are broken, and I agree to an extent, I just find the bad guys having as good a chance as anyone to get the good guys special roles, which are what these items seem like to me, to be even more broken.

Ultarune on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    A 1 shot ability hardly constitutes role stealing, Ulta.

Don't worry, the badguys wont tookerjerbs.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    get a room, you two

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    They aren't 1 shot abilities. They are redistributed every night. They are our special roles, and to think that the gm would include a mechanic that the bad guys have a chance to have 2 kills, a 3rd vig kill, ability to bend a close vote to their whim, leaving the village with nothing, seems farfetched to me.

Ultarune on
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Ultarune wrote: »
    You keep saying that these seerings are broken, and I agree to an extent, I just find the bad guys having as good a chance as anyone to get the good guys special roles, which are what these items seem like to me, to be even more broken.

Look at it this way. There are forty people playing. Let's say ten of them are bad, fair enough, because there's two different factions. If four items are randomly distributed per night, according to probability the village will get three of them, one baddie faction will get one, and another faction will get none. Each of the three factions (village, raven, snake) get one kill a night at the least. Adding in items where statistically the village will get more of does not cause a balance problem. Especially if you take into account that any baddie item's effectiveness is cut in half if the factions don't know each other, because that one item they get would probably bounce between the two factions. I'm pretty sure this is good reasoning, though I could be wrong (I've been awake for over 24 hours so I might not be thinking clearly).

SCIENCE!

James on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Generally, a 2 vote manipulation ability is useless.

The beginning of this phalla was crazy and that kind of thing rarely happens. You know this.

And by 1 shot, I do mean it isn't reusable by the same person more than once. ONE SHOT.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Hmm...

He was only ranting because this happens to him every game.

What, he accuses somebody of being a bad guy using retarded logic and then gets voted off when people get sick of him? And yeah, just because he died innocent doesn't mean he knew what he was talking about re: werehippy/redbird.

As for who to vote for tonight, I'm going to make a placeholder vote on Aldo for now. I'll see what else comes up as I re-read the last few pages.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008

What are you trying to say?

Daedalus on
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2008

The beginning of this phalla was crazy and that kind of thing rarely happens. You know this.

And by 1 shot, I do mean it isn't reusable by the same person more than once. ONE SHOT.

1 shot implies to me that the item is only good once and is not reusable at all

/shrug

I'm still not convinced there aren't static good specials out there (like the Roommates, who weren't item-related)

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I'm fairly sure that there is a seer role. Otherwise it would be difficult to get a network rolling by use of an item seering that switches hands each night.

So there's at least that.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Medopine wrote: »

/shrug

I'm still not convinced there aren't static good specials out there (like the Roommates, who weren't item-related)

It's hard to have item-related roommates.

I'm hoping roles are item based, so the bad guys can't kill them off as easily, but what do I know? RNGs never favor me; I've got no items.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I'm off for a few hours.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Apparently I'm a moron.

Aldo

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Stew_StickStew_Stick Dinner UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    !Ultarune because I'm not sure that he's entirely trustworthy. If not him then his contact. If he could PM a couple of suitable people his contact then it would help out a fair bit. However he could be lying about even having a contact so my vote is with him.

Stew_Stick on
  • Options
    Stew_StickStew_Stick Dinner UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Medopine wrote: »

/shrug

It's hard to have item-related roommates.

I'm hoping roles are item based, so the bad guys can't kill them off as easily, but what do I know? RNGs never favor me; I've got no items.

For clarity, I never had an item and I think mtvcdm would've told me if they did so I seriously doubt all roles will be item based.

Stew_Stick on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    James wrote: »
    Ultarune wrote: »

Look at it this way. There are forty people playing. Let's say ten of them are bad, fair enough, because there's two different factions. If four items are randomly distributed per night, according to probability the village will get three of them, one baddie faction will get one, and another faction will get none. Each of the three factions (village, raven, snake) get one kill a night at the least. Adding in items where statistically the village will get more of does not cause a balance problem. Especially if you take into account that any baddie item's effectiveness is cut in half if the factions don't know each other, because that one item they get would probably bounce between the two factions. I'm pretty sure this is good reasoning, though I could be wrong (I've been awake for over 24 hours so I might not be thinking clearly).

SCIENCE!

Statistically yes, but in my experience the worst that can happen often does. Gms have to be careful not to put to much of any one sides power in a single individual because hey, anyone can die to a day 1 non-sensical bandwagon or misguided vig kill. With the setup tehspectre is suggesting my worst case scenario is a possibility, not incredibly likely, but definitely possible. I just don't think LaOs would give the village that % chance of being totally screwed. In any case, I'm going to play the game the way I'm going to play it. I'm operating off this theory currently, and will continue to do so until I see compelling evidence otherwise. If you want to help me, great, if you want to vote me off, thats your call.

Ultarune on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    One bonus vig kill is hardly ZOMGWORST CASE SENARIO, VILLAGE AUTOMATICALLY LOSES

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
This discussion has been closed.