As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A tale of pods and casts, eternally retold: Gaming podcasts

Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Games and Technology
Simply put, what gaming podcasts do you listen to, do you find them to be informative, humorous, or both? What about them do you like/dislike, and what do you wish there were more of?

I've only started listening to gaming podcasts within the past few months, and now they're something I look forward to quite a bit. So here are the ones I've been enjoying, and why.

Downloadable Content - Being that this is PA, I wanted to mention their podcast first. It's not a conventional gaming podcast, but it often acts as one through the opinions voiced by G&T on various games and topics as they create their comic.

1UP Yours - Not much to say other than it's usually very good, though Garnett Lee and Shane Bettenhausen can be overbearing at times.

GFW Radio - Probably my favorite regular podcast.

Giant Bombcast - Hate the name, but it's still a pretty good show. I like Jeff Gerstmann a lot, particularly after the whole Kane and Lynch debacle.

Legendary Thread - 1up's MMO podcast. It's kind of thin on info, but it can be funny.

The Instance - Probably the leading WoW podcast. I listen on and off. I think it's over-produced, the host is too heavy on the sound effects. They regularly have Curt Schilling as a guest host, and he's a pretty serious WoW player who is currently putting together his own MMO with a studio he launched.

World of Warcast - Another WoW podcast. What's interesting about this one is that the host "Starman" is pretty bad. He's flat and kind of whiny. But his co-host "Renata" brings a crazy amount of technical information to the table. They did an entire podcast dedicated to the Reputation system, for example. The detail and thoroughness of it was amazing. If you farm rep in WoW, that guide will come in pretty handy.

The 1UP Show - Video podcast, mostly improvised dialogue that's shot "candidly" as if the hosts were just talking to each other in random locations, without a camera present. It's pretty short, but it's often very good. It's a big download but I think it's worth it.

Joystiq - More often than not it's good, though I usually don't listen to the whole episode.

Fatty McBeardo on

• Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I only really listen to GFW these days, that pretty much gives me all the industry news and humour I want.

Aside from that though, I've started do watch the odd "battlecast", which is basically a videocast of a multiplayer RTS match. Started watching with Tales of Heroes (Company of Heroes videocast), which I'm finding really fun. If you're into Company of Heroes, I suggest looking it up (or even if you're not, it might interest you in the game).

If you listen to GFW on a regular basis you know that Shawn Elliot (Shawn Malloy? I always get the two confused) is a MASSIVE fan of CoH. They had a special match recently where he played the staff at Relic in a 3-on-3 multiplayer match. It was awesome.

I've heard the C&C battlecast is good as well so I'm going to try looking that up, although I've never actually played it myself.

subedii on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=51334

Other than the ones you listed, I listen to the CAGcast and Crash FM, the Criterion/Burnout podcast. And occasionally, the Bungie Podcast.

I think I only listen to CAG out of familiarity. There's a lot about it not to like, but I still listen every week.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Cheapassgamer CAGcast is my Ichiban.

http://digg.com/podcasts/CAGcast

Because they talk about gaming, poop, and Japan.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    CohsaeCohsae Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Hopefully this thread gets many podcasts added to it because so far the only ones that I know about are at 1UP (GFW, 1up Yours and Retronauts). While it's not technically a podcast people should definitely check out RSVP, which is some sort of offshoot of the 1UP Show where they get a bunch of games developers together for a chat. They've only done one so far (that I know of) and it was pretty good. Erik Wolpaw from Valve, a guy who works at the developers of Pixeljunk and the dude that made Everyday Shooter. Interesting stuff.
    Oh and everyone should listen to the 'classic' 1UPYours that was posted the other day which was recorded at the end of E32006. Hilarious. Plus it's always fun to listen to people's predictions and see if they panned out.

Cohsae on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Cohsae wrote: »
    Hopefully this thread gets many podcasts added to it

http://digg.com/podcasts/view/games_hobbies

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Does anyone know when season 4 of One Life Left is supposed to start? Got to be my favorite podcast, but their homepage is frustratingly uninformative.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    CohsaeCohsae Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Lord Jezo wrote: »
    Hopefully this thread gets many podcasts added to it

http://digg.com/podcasts/view/games_hobbies

How convenient. Thanks.

Cohsae on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Oh and everyone should listen to the 'classic' 1UPYours that was posted the other day which was recorded at the end of E32006. Hilarious. Plus it's always fun to listen to people's predictions and see if they panned out.

PS3 will dominate, it's inevitable :^:
    Low reliability will hurt the PS3 :^:
    Wii=Fail, should have just made the wiimote for the GC :^:

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Do not forget podcastlogolx5.jpg. You can click that link for the latest episode. We are a gaming podcast and you'll recognize most of the names in it from G&T although we are not a G&T podcast. We all know how that worked out.

(not at all)

Atlus Parker on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The_Scarab on