As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Guitars are rad thread (I guess drums are too)

Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in Social Entropy++
I remember there used to be a rad Guitar thread some time ago, and it turns out there were some rad guitarists amongst us (alas I'm only mediocre... at best).

What kinda axes do you guys have? Bass guitars count too!

Me, I have an Epiphone Les Paul (ugh how embarrassing). It's my first electric, and I've had it for 2 years now, and I'm looking at an upgrade, to one of these babies: (spoilered for huge)
0100202850_xl.jpg

There's something about a Tele that I just love. I think it's the shape. Anyway, I'm looking at one similar to what's above... except a whitish-yellow coating, but you can still see the woodgrain underneath. Fucking sexy. And that maple fretboard with jumbo frets... *splooges pants*

Anyhoo, talk about your guitars and other instruments.

Or show off your music skills.

Tweaked_Bat_ on

• Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    yeah I've got the old Tele

in cherry red

FAQ on
  • Options
    CrackedLensCrackedLens Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    i have a piece of shit slim body acoustic that i've never learned to play

CrackedLens on
    XBoxLive Gamertag: ZombieKyle Secret Satan Wishlist
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I've got an accoustic Ibanez

it's pretty awesome

Shorty on
  • Options
    Agent VesagoAgent Vesago Half Iago. Half Fu Manchu. All Bastard. Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I've got my grandma's old guitar she had when she was 18.

It's from Montgomery Ward.

And a shitty fender clone.

Agent Vesago on
    Clowns.jpg
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I have a Yamaha, an Ibanez and a real old Silvertone archtop. All acoustic of course.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    QuirkQuirk Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I have a few guitars and basses, but my favourite at the moment is an acoustic ibanez from about '83. It has a big ole dynamic range and damn it's comfy.

My dad has some excellent basses, including an ernie ball musicman of some sort which is amazing but got fucked by dutch customs/the airline when he was playing some gig over there, who managed to gouge a chunk out of the body and offer about £200 for a £1400 instrument

All my guitars are old second hand things, and I'm forever telling people not to count second hand instruments out of your search, as quite often they'll have been set up by someone properly and if you're lucky you could get some aftermarket modifications on the cheap

Quirk on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Yeah man. Second-hand guitars can be really awesome if you buy a quality one that's been looked after well.

A friend at work has a Black with gold/off-white trim Les Paul Custom. It's a genuine 1971 model he picked up in LA 10 years ago.

It's worth a small fortune now. I offered to buy it for $1,000 and he laughed.

EDIT: I have an acoustic too - an Epiphone Dove:
    EpipDove.jpg

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    my rhythm playing leaves allot to be desired

FAQ on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    My playing full-stop leaves alot to be desired.

You got pics of your cherry-red tele?

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I hate your friend, my dad nearly bought an old rickenbacker on the cheap a few years ago but instead opted for a Yamaha fretless bass he never even fucking uses! I could've had a rickenbacker for free when he kicks the bucket, and it woulda been worth a stupid amount.

My second hand guitars are pretty lame though, at least in terms of how much cash they're worth. A Columbus Les Paul from the 70s and a Hondo es355 copy from the 80s, the Columbus is surprisingly nice though, and I added an on board distortion to the neck pickup so it's very mine and I love it

Quirk on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I do, shitty mobile phone quality, I might put em up when I get back from work

maybe

FAQ on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    My lead playing is awful, but my fingerpicking is getting much better. I've always had trouble fingerpicking cos I'm a lefty playing right handed, which was excellent when I was learning the basic chords and whatnot since I was already using my dominant hand but is an ass when I try to do anything outside of my comfort zone with my right hand

Quirk on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Quirk wrote: »
    I hate your friend, my dad nearly bought an old rickenbacker on the cheap a few years ago but instead opted for a Yamaha fretless bass he never even fucking uses! I could've had a rickenbacker for free when he kicks the bucket, and it woulda been worth a stupid amount.

My second hand guitars are pretty lame though, at least in terms of how much cash they're worth. A Columbus Les Paul from the 70s and a Hondo es355 copy from the 80s, the Columbus is surprisingly nice though, and I added an on board distortion to the neck pickup so it's very mine and I love it

Yeah my other friend's dad collects expensive guitars and amps, because the filthy fucker can afford it. My friend is all like "Oh yeah, I was playing my dad's $4,000 Firebird on his authentic $3,000 Marshall Stack" (tube amp obviously)

EDIT: And he's also really good at it. Fucker.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    fucking rickenbacker is my dream guitar, from a purely visual standpoint

FAQ on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Gretsch White Falcon is my dream guitar, from a purely visual standpoint.
    gretsch-g6136t.jpg

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Yeah my other friend's dad collects expensive guitars and amps, because the filthy fucker can afford it. My friend is all like "Oh yeah, I was playing my dad's $4,000 Firebird on his authentic $3,000 Marshall Stack" (tube amp obviously)

EDIT: And he's also really good at it. Fucker.

My dad's friend Myf has a 1958 (i think) Fender Strat, which is worth a LUDICROUS amound of money, especially since it is all original and in mint goddamn condition. That guitar is essentially his nestegg, he will most likely be able to retire pretty comfortably just off that ignoring the money he made in some fairly big band back in the day and all the other mad old guitars he has

Quirk on
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Pfft, the piano is where it's really at :(

Janson on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    piano won't get you any babes

FAQ on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    FAQ wrote: »

psssh

tell that to Elton John

oh wait

CrackedLens on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    man the piano will get you SO many babes! Makes me wish I hadn't quit playing when I was young

Quirk on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    The Piano Man, Billy Joel, who is like 60 years old, is currently banging a girl i went ot high school with

CrackedLens on
  • Options
    Agent VesagoAgent Vesago Half Iago. Half Fu Manchu. All Bastard. Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    My lead playing is awful, but my fingerpicking is getting much better. I've always had trouble fingerpicking cos I'm a lefty playing right handed, which was excellent when I was learning the basic chords and whatnot since I was already using my dominant hand but is an ass when I try to do anything outside of my comfort zone with my right hand

hi5!

Same with me

Agent Vesago on
    Clowns.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    FAQ wrote: »

But the ROCK ORGAN will.

Or the KEYTAR.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm buying a new electric guitar soon.

I'm not sure what I should get though. I don't want to spend that much money. Maybe 400 dollars or so.

Anyone got any advice? I was thinking of getting an Epiphone SG.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    The Keytar is the pinnacle of human engineering and musical achievement, and anyone who plays it should be lauded as the leader.

OF EVERYTHING

Quirk on
  • Options
    MishraMishra Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    My Baby.
    dsc00679kr8.jpg

She's a 1993 Les Paul Classic Premium Plus. I got her off Craig's list. Definately never knock the used market, the guy who owned this was a songwriter who primarily focused on piano, it was in fantastic condition. Of course It's a way better guitar than i desrve considering my skill level, but that's just more incentive to practice.

Mishra on
    "Give a man a fire, he's warm for the night. Set a man on fire he's warm for the rest of his life."
    -Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Keytar is pretty rad.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    TeleADM3SB-large.jpg

I play this

but I want this

M1D1_Manson.jpg

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    rw360-1.jpg

Shorty on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I personally reckon you could shell out a little extra for a guitar. I mean, there are a few nice guitars you can pick up for around $400 (my Epiphone LP was $550ish), but I dunno, I just get the feeling that if I spent a little more I could've gotten something that was better.

I dunno though, for a first guitar it was good - I didn't really know much better then anyway - you know, like what felt good and what didn't.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    This is my acoustic
    230549.jpg

Standard little Yammy, but it gets the job done.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I personally reckon you could shell out a little extra for a guitar. I mean, there are a few nice guitars you can pick up for around $400 (my Epiphone LP was $550ish), but I dunno, I just get the feeling that if I spent a little more I could've gotten something that was better.

I dunno though, for a first guitar it was good - I didn't really know much better then anyway - you know, like what felt good and what didn't.
    Yeah, I'm still going to look around a bit. Hell, I might even get lucky on the used market.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Shorty wrote: »
    rw360-1.jpg

keytar_business_copy.jpg

CrackedLens on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Madonna-Wayne-Gacy2.jpg

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Shorty wrote: »
    rw360-1.jpg
    I believe you meant:
    henrikklingenberg1ck.jpg

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    I'm buying a new electric guitar soon.

I'm not sure what I should get though. I don't want to spend that much money. Maybe 400 dollars or so.

Anyone got any advice? I was thinking of getting an Epiphone SG.

Are Maton guitars cheaper in Oz? Local brands tend to be cheaper where they're actually from, but Maton are pretty expensive if i remember rightly.

Check second hand

If you find a guitar you really like, make sure you walk out of the shop with that exact guitar. Two guitars from the same manufacturer in the same batch and whatnot can be very different feeling/sounding or have a substandard build or something, so make sure you know what you're getting.

Quirk on
  • Options
    arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    Dublo7 wrote: »

Yeah, I'm still going to look around a bit. Hell, I might even get lucky on the used market.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Vintage-Mahogany-Electric-Guitar?sku=517536

Look no further than this in my opinion. Its even got the same pickups as the Les Paul Standard model (the 2000 dollar model)

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Mishra wrote: »
    My Baby.
    dsc00679kr8.jpg

She's a 1993 Les Paul Classic Premium Plus. I got her off Craig's list. Definately never knock the used market, the guy who owned this was a songwriter who primarily focused on piano, it was in fantastic condition. Of course It's a way better guitar than i desrve considering my skill level, but that's just more incentive to practice.

Lucky you. Better lock it up at night or I will fly to your house and steal it.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    this is what mine looks like

turns out it's "candy apple" which I almost typed originally but thought it sounded wrong
    60stele.jpg

FAQ on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I never used to think Telecasters looked that good. Now I reckon they look really rad.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]