As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Guitars are rad thread (I guess drums are too)

• arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    Telecasters with all the options look pretty slick.

They look pretty slick anyway in my opinion and simple as hell.

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
    edited June 2008
  • Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I really like the bottom one.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    arod_77 wrote: »
    Telecasters with all the options look pretty slick.

They look pretty slick anyway in my opinion and simple as hell.

Yeah it's gotta be the whole simple look to them.

t Dublo: Yah I used to think they were pretty average, but once I actually looked at them closer I fell in love.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
    edited June 2008
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    I really like the bottom one.

It would be a deal at twice the price--go try it out

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I've got a Yamaha FG-200 acoustic that my father bought in the 70's and gave to me. Still plays really well.

I've also got a cheapass Peavey electric that I picked up for like $70 from a department store after the holidays, with an amp.

It's got one humbucker knock off pickup, but it's got a pretty good blues sound to it for such a low quality guitar.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    I play a black / white 2007 telecaster. The action is nice and it gives a great sound.
    asset-43066.jpg

I'm not really a fan of my Gibson bass. Yeah it looks pretty but it cuts into my arm.
    ps3-guitar-hero-les-paul.jpg

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • QuirkQuirk Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I play a black / white 2007 telecaster. The action is nice and it gives a great sound.
    asset-43066.jpg

I'm not really a fan of my Gibson bass. Yeah it looks pretty but it cuts into my arm.
    ps3-guitar-hero-les-paul.jpg

waaaaitaminute!

THAT'S NO TELECASTER!

Quirk on
  • GRMikeGRMike The Last Best Hope for Humanity The God Pod Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    229117.jpg
    Fender Jaguar HH imo.

GRMike on
  • Jean Claude Van CalmJean Claude Van Calm 'sup? Awesome Possum.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I've played the guitar for a few years now (Off and on) within the last year I've finally buckled down and taken it beyond a hobby, it feels so good to actually be able to play more than a handful of songs and rip out your own badass stuff.

Anyways, no pics, but I have a Gibson Les Paul studio in white with gold hardware, this guitar is definetly my baby. My backup is a Carvin custom DC135 in bluebirst with flat black hardware, very pretty wish I could get a pic since no one seems to know wtf a Carvin is unless they've been around.

Both guitars I run into a Pod XT live and into a Steve Vai Legacy VL212 which sounds beautiful on the rare times I get to play with it cranked up. For recording I just hook up the Pod to my PC and record, or play through the PC speakers, either way it comes out ehhh. Not as good as through the stack.

I'm also lookin into getting an Alesis DM5 Pro electric drumset to help out my recording, planning on goin one man band here lol.

Forgot to mention, Mishra that LP is amazazing. My mother-in-law has an old old old maybe 60s Gibson SG, she never plays it and I'm thinkin I may build up the courage to kill her and steal it. Or maybe just ask to play it.

Jean Claude Van Calm on
    PSN: Grimmsy- Xbox Live: Grimmsy
  • themailedfistthemailedfist Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I used to play drums and tried bass but now I'm really wanting to try my hand at playing guitar. I'd like to hear some suggestions for something in the $400 range to get me started.

Amps, too, would be good to hear about.

themailedfist on
    edited June 2008
    First off, what is your genre preference? Or do you favor a wide range?

The best suggestion is for you to go guitar center and play at least one stratocaster/telecaster/les paul/Ibanez RG/Jackson

From there you can pretty much figure out what you are preferring

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Micro-Cube-Combo-Amp?sku=481169

And as a first budget amp you really can't go wrong with a micro-cube--its solid state, but the effects on it are actually very nice and specifically the british rock and marshall channels are eerily solid in the tone department.

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • SonnySonny Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Air guitar

Sonny on
    Untitled-1-1.gif
  • RotamRotam Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I play a shitty stratocaster copy which was made in China, probably by small children. The pickups are probably made from spare toaster parts.

I would like to think I'm a passable guitarist. But still pretty mediocre. Non musical people think I'm awesome though. If only they could hear the crap things I do, technique wise. I need to practice a lot more and actually attempt learning something. I can't remember the last song Iearnt. It was probably a Gamma ray song.

Rotam on
  • Riggs BlitzkriegRiggs Blitzkrieg Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    my mom bought a fender japanese strat a long time ago. It wasn't till recently that I bought an amp and started to really play. Lessons are a god send.

She knew I wanted a guitar. it was nice of her. She found it at a yard sale. It was $60 for the guitar and case. They said the pickups were broken, they were wrong.

I think I started lessons about 4 months ago. I've made so much more progress then I was just fucking around and trying to figure shit out. Totally worth the price.

Riggs Blitzkrieg on
  • SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I would like a nice ESP. The F series is so awesome. The necks are incredibly comfortable and easy playing even onn the the low end LTDs. Fret access is amazing and the heel is really comfortable.

I'm also considering selling my mexi strat (satin finish! oooo!) and my LTD EC-100QM (lp style body) to get money for the sax I want. I'll be hanging on to my Schecter C-7 though. That thing is sweet. I'll get some new pups for it eventually. Probably a Dimarzio D Sonic and a Blaze in the neck.

SirToasty on
  • JC of DIJC of DI I think we're fucked up. I know I am.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I found a Peavey Signature Series EXP used but in great condition at my local shop for like 270. Only guitar that sounded better in there to me was the Gretsch Electromatic Hollow Body which I still really really want to get someday.

Also I'm kinda in that "people say I'm good but I don't think so" range...but after looking up acoustic covers of songs just to get an idea of how a song sounds, I think I might be better than I give myself credit for. Because damn does mediocrity get praised on that site - but I know I can pull shit off better than some of those people.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
    edited June 2008
    Also really fighting the urge to buy a loop station for a birthday gift to myself.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    At my apartment I have some old-ass Gibson acoustic whose specifics I'm not sure of, that my dad let me take with me to college since he was about to get rid of it for his new Martin Acoustic/Electric in the house.

Though when I visit my parents my dad is a huge guitar buff, so I get to play with his 3 self-made acoustics, Martin Acoustic/Electric, Ovation Solid Body(Yeah that's right), and Gibson SG.

Khavall on
  • OmegaTofuNinjaOmegaTofuNinja Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I've got an Epiphone Les Paul right now. I'm saving up to get a new one because goddamn I want a guitar without a fixed bridge. Whammy dives are fucking awesome

But it's going to have to wait there's so much shit I have to buy. It's about third down on my list.

OmegaTofuNinja on
    Facebook Wii: 7912 0299 8667 6601 I tweet sometimes Poetry?!
  • SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Khavall wrote: »
    At my apartment I have some old-ass Gibson acoustic whose specifics I'm not sure of, that my dad let me take with me to college since he was about to get rid of it for his new Martin Acoustic/Electric in the house.

Though when I visit my parents my dad is a huge guitar buff, so I get to play with his 3 self-made acoustics, Martin Acoustic/Electric, Ovation Solid Body(Yeah that's right), and Gibson SG.
    Pics. I've never heard of that.

SirToasty on
    edited June 2008
    SirToasty wrote: »
    Khavall wrote: »

Pics. I've never heard of that.

Next time I go home I'll have to take some snaps of it. It's a really nice electric, I play it every time I go home, and it distorts real nice.

But yeah, Ovation Solid Bodies aren't exactly the most common guitars. Part of the Viper series.

Khavall on
  • World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I have a 1972 gibson eb-3 bass that I've been slowly learning over the past couple of months

it has lately taken a backseat to my ukulele, which I'm actually not too bad at, but I think I should take lessons on bass; I have a feeling I'll develop a lot of bad habits if I keep learning on my own

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Anybody wanna buy a boring ol' MIM Strat?

Aneurhythmia on
  • PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I've been thinking about blowing all my money on a new gibson

Any suggestions?

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
    edited June 2008
    WaM you've developed the terrible habit of neglecting that poor, lovely bass!

Also on the Solid-Body Ovation front I found these after a few minutes:
    viper.jpgviper2.jpg

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
    edited June 2008
    Phonehand wrote: »

Any suggestions?

If you're going to get an authentic Gibson you might as well go with something like a Firebird where they've got the market locked down.

Replica Les Pauls and V's are a dime a dozen. Agile makes really good replicas that have a good sound right away but after putting up the extra cash for the actual Gibson pick-ups (or better) you have the same thing for wayyyy less.

JC of DI on
    PJWczLu.png
    edited June 2008
    That's close, though mine's got sort of a more dull brown sheen to the body, and a white face.

Khavall on
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Also, from time to time, I get the chance to strum on a beautiful Taylor and a PRS.

NotASenator on
  • World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    JC of DI wrote: »
    WaM you've developed the terrible habit of neglecting that poor, lovely bass!

Also on the Solid-Body Ovation front I found these after a few minutes:
    viper.jpgviper2.jpg
    yes I know I have

I've found it difficult to want to practice something that is relatively unmelodic, but I know I need to because my fingers feel like raw hamburger after playing it for half an hour

World as Myth on
    kQwcZLJ.png
    edited June 2008
    JC of DI wrote: »

Any suggestions?

If you're going to get an authentic Gibson you might as well go with something like a Firebird where they've got the market locked down.

Replica Les Pauls and V's are a dime a dozen. Agile makes really good replicas that have a good sound right away but after putting up the extra cash for the actual Gibson pick-ups (or better) you have the same thing for wayyyy less.

I really like the archtops and I have an Epiphone SG that is pretty decent. I don't really like the look of the Firebirds.

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • The_RatThe_Rat Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    My first electric was this guy:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Tele-Custom-II-Electric-Guitar-with-P90-Pickups?sku=519584

and it works fine. Nothing fancy, cheap tele, but it's never broken on me, and I'm not terribly picky about pickups. Got mine in blonde.

I'd really like one of those Squier '51s before they get too expensive. They always seemed like awesome guitars.
    squier51med.jpg

And my dream guitar at the moment is one of these.
    EG00508.jpg
    Fender TC-90.

The_Rat on
  • Wombat!!Wombat!! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The_Rat wrote: »
    My first electric was this guy:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Tele-Custom-II-Electric-Guitar-with-P90-Pickups?sku=519584

and it works fine. Nothing fancy, cheap tele, but it's never broken on me, and I'm not terribly picky about pickups. Got mine in blonde.

I'd really like one of those Squier '51s before they get too expensive. They always seemed like awesome guitars.
    guitar

And my dream guitar at the moment is one of these.
    fail
    Fender TC-90.

Too bad your dreams were crushed by discontinuance.

Wombat!! on
  • The_RatThe_Rat Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm cursed to only like discontinued guitars.

The_Rat on
  • Wombat!!Wombat!! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    ...and men.

Wombat!! on
  • MitsuhideMitsuhide Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You guys like some weird guitars, no offence. :P
    That jaguar with all the knobbies? eek.

I love me some strats, though. As for guitars I have a really, really old Les paul'ish guitar that is super thin (thinner than a strat) that my dad was going to refurbish before he gave it to me. I guess you can say it was my first guitar, but I don't think it really counts.

When I was 8 I got a strat knockoff from Samick that is actually pretty cool looking. It's an HSS with vintage trem, a deepish red color with the wood grain coming through slightly, a rosewood fretboard and a pearloid pickguard. I still play it now. My dad even hand built me an amp the same day. I still have it, as well.

Recently, I bought myself this: an Ibanez RG321 in Mahogany Oil finish.

and this: A Raven RG60 60-watt amp.

Both the guitar and amp are fantastic. I was originally going to get a Micro Cube, but I wanted something I could do band practices with. :P

EDIT: Oh yeah, dream guitars. Well...
    Ibanez JPM P1 "John Petrucci Signature" Before he went to Ernie Ball/MusicMan169lpqq.jpg

Mitsuhide on
    edited June 2008
    The_Rat wrote: »
    I'm cursed to only like discontinued guitars.
    I really want a Sunn 1200s.

Aneurhythmia on
    edited June 2008
    hey annika what kind of gibson should i get

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
    edited June 2008
    Wait, me?

Aneurhythmia on
    edited June 2008
    hey annika what kind of gibson should i get

Stop being a little faggot and get a Les Paul.

9 pounds of manly shred

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg