As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WoW] I, for one, welcome our Retribution overlords [Paladins]

• Options
    EriosErios Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yes, but it's also the prereq for holy shield D:

Erios on
    Steam: erios23, Live: Coconut Flavor, Origin: erios2386.
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    true. and Holy Shield is the meat of your AOE aggro against melee enemies until you get some serious spell damage.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    SabinXLSabinXL Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I always found BoSanc to be useful while leveling. It's not as useful in instances where kings does a better job overall. I think it'd be much better if the mitigation aspect was applied after DR and not before, but when it comes to raiding content that's negligible anyway.

SabinXL on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    SabinXL wrote: »
    I always found BoSanc to be useful while leveling. It's not as useful in instances where kings does a better job overall. I think it'd be much better if the mitigation aspect was applied after DR and not before, but when it comes to raiding content that's negligible anyway.

It tends to shine best when facing dual wielding mobs which hit fairly softly to begin with. I would love to see that blessing get reworked or get some better scaling with the expansion.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    rizriz Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    We're going to have the prot paladin tank RoS tonight. He's done most of phase 3 before when the warrior died, but phase 2 without reflected Deadens should be interesting! I'm really hoping that the warrior doesn't manage to get off work after all, I want to see if our DPS can pull it off.

riz on
  • Options
    LaurlunaLaurluna Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    riz wrote: »
    We're going to have the prot paladin tank RoS tonight. He's done most of phase 3 before when the warrior died, but phase 2 without reflected Deadens should be interesting! I'm really hoping that the warrior doesn't manage to get off work after all, I want to see if our DPS can pull it off.

So your Interruptors are going to kick shocks AND deadens?

I'd love to hear how that turns out. We missed 2 Deadens last night, and spent about 9seconds at "oom" before Desire died. Have your Inner Focus Dispels/Devour Magics/Lay on Hands ready!

Laurluna on
    Being casually elitist in WoW since 2005.
    First Blood 85 Priest 80 Mage 85 Paladin 83 Druid 80 DK 85 Huntard 85 Shaman
    "Tardo Wan" sounds like a Jedi that required 436 years to train and then killed himself by looking into his lightsaber while turning it on."
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

I've done P3 and it's pretty trivial and might even be better then a Prot Warrior for P3. But our kickers can't seem to manage deaden + spirit shock if they have to do both.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    rizriz Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Laurluna wrote: »

So your Interruptors are going to kick shocks AND deadens?

I'd love to hear how that turns out. We missed 2 Deadens last night, and spent about 9seconds at "oom" before Desire died. Have your Inner Focus Dispels/Devour Magics/Lay on Hands ready!

Yeah, like the theory is that a LOT of us just don't DPS during Deaden, myself (destro lock, I have a high chance of one-shotting myself) and the #1 hunter particularly, he says he just auto-shots during Deaden or he'll die... So without that restriction, full-on DPS the whole time, we're curious to see if it'll make up for the damage bonus from Deaden we'll be missing. The key thing is yeah getting them to kick Deadens instead of ignore them. Have to remind them to turn off those Deaden-hiding addons.

riz on
  • Options
    NismoGrendelNismoGrendel Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Just got done tanking kara, it was so much more fun than healing. One of our druid tanks went resto for the run. Now we both wanna trade roles for 25 mans too :p

Also, it figures that I dont see triptych for about a year straight running kara. I got mag's shield the other night, and guess what was in the chest at chess event :(

Ahh well

NismoGrendel on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    we have killed Jan'alai every reset for about four months now.

Our prot warrior wanted the Bulwark of the Amani Empire so badly, and I had the Nightbane one while he had Sha'tar crest so I was happy to pass it to him.

The one day he can't come to ZA and we bring our feral druid?

BAM, Shield drops. Mine!

Normally we bring at least one of our holy paladins to each run, sometimes two. I wonder what drops off him last night?

BAM, Enamelled Disc of Mojo.

Go me.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    Invoice NinjaInvoice Ninja Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    SabinXL wrote: »

It tends to shine best when facing dual wielding mobs which hit fairly softly to begin with. I would love to see that blessing get reworked or get some better scaling with the expansion.

I found the most fun in the world to be the standard Sanc + Ret Aura + Shield Spike + Holy Shield when facing those monks in SM Armory who hit very lightly and at 100mph. I discovered that I could stand there and have conversations with the mages in /say and periodically /wave at the healer while entire swarms of the little buggers would simply beat themselves to death on me. So much fun! :D

Also I was told to bring locks n' socks. I have a few to pass out if anyone needs them. Who were we mercilessly beating this time around?

Invoice Ninja on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Thoma.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Dhalphir.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    Invoice NinjaInvoice Ninja Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You two are confusing the angry mob here! ;-)

Invoice Ninja on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Thoma AND Dhalphir.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Thoma AND Dhalphir.

Meh, I had nothing to do with that abortion of a OP.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    its totally better now

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Ok, so another tanking question for you guys.

I can ALMOST offtank in ZA (this is according to our main tank, who's a bit of an elitist, and the same guy who has interesting opinions of pally tanks and stats I need) and I had a TON of problems tanking heroic MrT. Now, I'm running with over 350 spell damage and am doing fine, for the most part. It's just Kael at the end. He basically just raped my group. We ran with 2 'locks, priest, and a mage. Now, the healer grabbed aggro off me way too quick, so I guess I need more spell damage for increased threat? How much should I have in a threat set? I should note, that this is the usual group of guys I run with, so they're all decked out in full badge gear off the island, so they are basically threat rockets. Usually they do well, but when the healer pulls aggro 'cause I'm not dealing enough threat... So, I guess I'm wondering how much spell damage I should shoot for to get a good threat set? Maybe about 600-800? Apparently I need it...

Also, what stats SHOULD I have going into ZA for Off Tanking? If I listen to our MT, he says I need 18k health, 400+ SD, and some other stat I can't remember right now. Thanks again for all the help! You guys totally rock!

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    600-800 is way too much

i dont even know what the healer is doing to pull aggro

i run with 397 spell damage unbuffed, usually around 500 in instancing set and no healer is ever going to pull anything off me

and you do really need 18k health to survive in ZA. Both the bear boss and lynx boss do saber lashes that hit for ~5k in the case of the bear boss, but he hits hard as well, or 9k in the case of the Lynx boss, just the 9k and no other hits, but you do need to be able to survive two of them without heals, incase the healers are preoccupied

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    -Phil--Phil- Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Cokebotle wrote: »

I can ALMOST offtank in ZA (this is according to our main tank, who's a bit of an elitist, and the same guy who has interesting opinions of pally tanks and stats I need) and I had a TON of problems tanking heroic MrT. Now, I'm running with over 350 spell damage and am doing fine, for the most part. It's just Kael at the end. He basically just raped my group. We ran with 2 'locks, priest, and a mage. Now, the healer grabbed aggro off me way too quick, so I guess I need more spell damage for increased threat? How much should I have in a threat set? I should note, that this is the usual group of guys I run with, so they're all decked out in full badge gear off the island, so they are basically threat rockets. Usually they do well, but when the healer pulls aggro 'cause I'm not dealing enough threat... So, I guess I'm wondering how much spell damage I should shoot for to get a good threat set? Maybe about 600-800? Apparently I need it...

Also, what stats SHOULD I have going into ZA for Off Tanking? If I listen to our MT, he says I need 18k health, 400+ SD, and some other stat I can't remember right now. Thanks again for all the help! You guys totally rock!

Just to make sure, you do have Imp Righteous Fury and it is on correct?

Also, for Heroic Mgt I do the following:

1. Throw Shield
    2. Judge Command
    3. Get Seal of Vengance
    3. Max Consecrate
    4. Wait for 5 stacks of Vengance (Mind you, you should be consecrating and using Holy Shield when its up), then cast Avenging Wrath.
    5. Judge Vengance
    6. Cast holy shield again
    7. Consecrate

The main thing is that the DPS goes all out so that he doesnt get that freaking shiled up or youll get 1 shotted.

-Phil- on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    600-800 is way too much

i run with 397 spell damage unbuffed, usually around 500 in instancing set and no healer is ever going to pull anything off me

and you do really need 18k health to survive in ZA. Both the bear boss and lynx boss do saber lashes that hit for ~5k in the case of the bear boss, but he hits hard as well, or 9k in the case of the Lynx boss, just the 9k and no other hits, but you do need to be able to survive two of them without heals, incase the healers are preoccupied

I dunno. He said that I was taking more damage than I could generate threat, or something to that effect. Given that it was Kael, and counterspell being our only interrupt, I could see that being a problem. I dunno... no offense to the guy (he's an awesome tank and a damn good healer) but he seems to not really do anything wrong, from his eyes. It's always someone else's fault.

I'm sitting at 362 spell damage, but I don't run anything but 10 mans and only use either Greater Arcane or Adepts Elixirs, so I never break 400, really. Ah well... once I get another... 160 badges and get those last 2 upgrades it should be better... Hopefully... (armory would be posted if it was up right now... but my char's name is Arcadain on Silver Hand if you guys feel like poking fun at my stats.)

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    ScroffusScroffus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I remember when a paladin friend of mine was just gearing up. His gear was so bad that I had to heal for shed loads (I was a well enouth geared priest, so keeping him alive wasn't too hard). Doing 5k healing every 2.5 seconds at some points, I would pull aggro all the time.

Having salv helped a lot back then, as did fade.

Scroffus on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

400+ SD would be rather high for starting ZA. I only run with something like 430 base SD as a T6 geared Prot Paladin. 18k buffed health is pretty reachable and sounds about right. But the healer pulling aggro sounds off.

The formula for healing threat is (healing done * .5)/number of mobs. This would include Kael's spawns if they were up. But if you were doing 500 tps, he would have to be standing next to you and putting out 1100 hps, which would be pretty damn high for a five man. If he was at range and had any threat reducing talents it would be much higher.

The only thing that comes to mind is that he threw up a renew and you had a string of resists.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    if you're taking more damage than you can output threat, the answer is not to gear for more threat but to gear so you take less damage

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    formatformat Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You mean mixing SoR and SoV? I'll do that sometimes depending on mana and cooldowns.

http://www.retpaladin.com/warcraft/2008/05/how-to-seal-twist/

that. anyone do it?

format on
    You don't know if I am joking or not.
  • Options
    RyokazeRyokaze Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    If you aren't interrupting fireballs on Mr T's version of kael, then you're taking 5k damage every 3 seconds that has to be healed.

The problem isn't really with your threat, it's with your warlocks not helping with spell locks!

Ryokaze on
  • Options
    NismoGrendelNismoGrendel Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Just tanked heroic Arcatraz tonight. Super easy instance up to the last boss.

The 3rd cell opened and we had the tornado guy. He kept blinking and wiping agro. I could not pull him off our druid no matter what. I would taunt, after taunt ended it was back on the druid. Same with BoP, just bought a few seconds of time, then back on the druid.

In the fourth attempt when he blinked, the mage got agro before the druid, I taunted, and the thing stuck to me for the rest of the fight.

Seemed really wierd to me, I was so frustrated :(

Anyways, last boss dropped the spell dmg tank bracers, good for a threat set I guess.

NismoGrendel on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Sorry about not replying sooner!

Yeah, I keep taking a lot of what this guy says with a grain of salt. For the Kael fight, I didn't know that felhunters could spell lock him... I'm guessing noone else did since noone said anything.

For the damage thing, I have PLENTY of armor. Just not so much <insert elemental name here> resist.

Phil:
    I don't have vengenance. My talent build is pretty cookie-cutter Raid (didn't realize it at the time). I open with my Avenger's Shield, pop a full Concecrate, seal Righteous, and pop Holy Shield. Then I just keep spamming holy shield, sealing Righteous, and using a lower level consecrate when I can until the mob dies. For bosses, I keep Wisdom sealed and pop Avenging Wrath when the first cooldown on my Avenger's Shield is up.

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Dunno if it's been mentioned yet, and I'm too lazy to check...

But Stoneform only eliminates / makes you temporarily immune to Poisons, Bleeds and Diseases.

Hamurabi on
  • Options
    Coconut MonkeyCoconut Monkey Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I don't have vengenance. My talent build is pretty cookie-cutter Raid (didn't realize it at the time). I open with my Avenger's Shield, pop a full Concecrate, seal Righteous, and pop Holy Shield. Then I just keep spamming holy shield, sealing Righteous, and using a lower level consecrate when I can until the mob dies. For bosses, I keep Wisdom sealed and pop Avenging Wrath when the first cooldown on my Avenger's Shield is up.
    For the Kael fight specifically, if you're popping holy shield, there's not much point if he's not being locked down spell wise. Chain casting fireballs into your face won't proc any of those delicious holy charges. :(

Coconut Monkey on
  • Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Anyone know of any resources that can give suggestions on how to gear up a ret paladin from scratch? Basically what gear a ret paladin can get to prepare him for kara.

shadowane on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    shadowane wrote: »
    Anyone know of any resources that can give suggestions on how to gear up a ret paladin from scratch? Basically what gear a ret paladin can get to prepare him for kara.

Afk for 40 hours in Alterac Valley. Now you don't even need kara gear. Cheers.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Afk for 40 hours in Alterac Valley. Now you don't even need kara gear. Cheers.

alternatively PM Sabremau and he will tell you

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited June 2008
    format wrote: »
    You mean mixing SoR and SoV? I'll do that sometimes depending on mana and cooldowns.

that. anyone do it?

jugglerecordhz5.jpg

Echo on
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Get Rawr. Start from the top of the list in each slot (remember to set it to the Retribution model first. Scroll down until you get to the first piece that doesn't require zoning into a raid. It's actually a fairly powerful gearset. Only a few pieces off of what I actually use.

Head: Mayhem Projection Goggles
    Neck: Shattered Sun Pendant of Might
    Shoulder: Swiftsteel Shoulders
    Back: Cloak of Darkness
    Chest: Hard Khorium Battleplate
    Wrist: Bindings of Lightning Reflexes
    Hands: Gloves of Immortal Dusk
    Waist: Red Belt of Battle
    Legs: Legplates of Unending Fury
    Feet: Footwraps of Wild Encroachment
    Ring1: Hard Khorium Band
    Ring2: Angelista's Revenge
    Trinket1: Shard of Contempt
    Trinket2: Darkmoon Card: Crusade
    Weapon: The Blade of Harbingers
    Libram: Libram of Avengement (if Horde) / Libram of Divine Judgement (if Alliance)

And there. Using purely pre-raid-available materials, you're all geared up to go into Kara. In fact, you're probably all geared up to go into Sunwell, wearing that. With the downside that it'll probably take you about 5-6 months of farming to pay for it (a couple of 10k-ish plans, 6 hearts of darkness, 11 sunmotes...). And that's IF the server you're on farms those kinds of materials.

Anyway, with Rawr, start at the top and work down the list until you see the first piece that you feel you can get, then get it. Using more and more gear, run instances until you work up the list to what you actually want. It's a handy little tool.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    Zephyranthes91Zephyranthes91 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    600-800 is way too much

I think i have 257 or so unbuffed spell dmg, thats with full t4 (well 4/5 i dont use the gloves, though i have them, i sub them for the ones from maiden) and the CF sword, but needing the 18k health i have to disagree with, i OT'd the four avatar bosses in ZA with about 16.5k buffed health. Id have more health but i was having trouble making uncrushable so i am more gemed with avoidance gems than pure stam gems.
    Echo wrote: »
    format wrote: »

that. anyone do it?

jugglerecordhz5.jpg

Jesus fucking Christ, i added that up, rounding all the numbers, and i shat bricks. Around 16k dmg in 2 seconds! o_0

Also, is it just me or is the upgrade from t4 to t5 tanking shoulders fucking ridiculous? My guild has done a couple of attempts on VR now that we have Kara, Gruul, Mag, and the four Avatar bosses on farm, and we got him to 1% on monday and wiped. I was looking at the t5 tanking shoulder and they seem like a downgrade really. Over t4 they have about 100 more armor, 1 more base stam, same amount of sockets, about 6-8 more defense rating and id be trading block rating on my t4 for parry rating on t5. Although i am looking forward to the bracers dropping, im praying for those to drop first kill.

Zephyranthes91 on
    sig-919109.jpg
  • Options
    Lunatic ClamLunatic Clam Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Sweet, thanks guys - I'm the ret paladin in question.

The belt is on my list of to-do's in short order

Lunatic Clam on
    Friend Code 0302-1076-6730
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    For the Kael fight specifically, if you're popping holy shield, there's not much point if he's not being locked down spell wise. Chain casting fireballs into your face won't proc any of those delicious holy charges. :(

That's just in general, not that specific fight. :P

Cokebotle on
    工事中
  • Options
    Coconut MonkeyCoconut Monkey Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    That's just in general, not that specific fight. :P
    Had to be sure. >_>
    SabreMau wrote:
    And there. Using purely pre-raid-available materials, you're all geared up to go into Kara. In fact, you're probably all geared up to go into Sunwell, wearing that.
    All your ret paladin talk really makes me want to give it a shot SabreMau, even though I don't really have a paladin of my own. The mechanics of ret DPS appeal to me somewhat and I find the process of setting a gear goal and slowly putting it all together quite enjoyable.
    SabreMau wrote:
    With the downside that it'll probably take you about 5-6 months of farming to pay for it
    And then you brought that up. :cry:

Coconut Monkey on
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Oh, assembling a relatively cheap set of crafted gear that's sufficiently high-powered for Kara work is fairly simple, as well. I had a good ret set all ready to put on once I hit 70. A few more heroics and I was pretty much raid-ready. It's just that it's also possible, with time, patience, and borderline obsession, to wear a full suit of T6 quality gear without having to actually raid in the first place.

Although, at this point, with likely half a year or so to go until expansion, I'd aim for the former rather than the latter if you haven't already started work on it. Still quite doable.

SabreMau on
This discussion has been closed.