As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Vanguard] SNEAK IS GONE SO THIS GAME IS DEAD.

• The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So wait, SOE is reactivating old EQ and EQ2 accounts for a month without you having to do anything except log in... are they doing that for Vanguard as well?

The Sneak! on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Goddamn. It seems after the first 18 hours I now have another 40 hours to go. WTF? AoC did not take this long and it was 30 some odd Gigs!

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    edited June 2008
    You know what? Fuck your h-scrolls.
    screenshot00009xw5.jpg

screenshot00007nj9.jpg

screenshot00006ek4.jpg

The Sneak! on
  • KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The Sneak! wrote: »
    So wait, SOE is reactivating old EQ and EQ2 accounts for a month without you having to do anything except log in... are they doing that for Vanguard as well?

EQ for a month, EQ2 for two months.

I don't think they're doing anything for Vanguard, as this is mostly a thing to build-up in interest in EQ2 before the next expansion is announced.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
    edited June 2008
    My shield is so gay. Seriously KingMole, look how gay my shield is.

The Sneak! on
  • RagRag Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It is pretty silly.

Rag on
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Draeven wrote: »
    combine all contients from Eq2s launch an dyou have Thestra. maybe shve off a few zones fromeq2 but thats just one of the 2 contients in vanguard. Qalia is prlly about 3/4ths the size of thestra. All fo them have content for every level. Kojan got screwed for content but its mainly a newb starting zone, gets you to lvl 20 or so but realy there is no reason to spend that long on kojan.

I wish someone would actually do a comparison in square miles of all the major MMOs of the past 10 years. I'm curious how they all stack up. I feel spoiled having Asheron's Call be my first MMO and the world was so well done on it that I've yet to see a game come close to its sense of scale and exploration. Vanguard is the only one I've seen touted as having a massive world and I wonder how it compares.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
    edited June 2008
    eelektrik wrote: »
    combine all contients from Eq2s launch an dyou have Thestra. maybe shve off a few zones fromeq2 but thats just one of the 2 contients in vanguard. Qalia is prlly about 3/4ths the size of thestra. All fo them have content for every level. Kojan got screwed for content but its mainly a newb starting zone, gets you to lvl 20 or so but realy there is no reason to spend that long on kojan.

I wish someone would actually do a comparison in square miles of all the major MMOs of the past 10 years. I'm curious how they all stack up. I feel spoiled having Asheron's Call be my first MMO and the world was so well done on it that I've yet to see a game come close to its sense of scale and exploration. Vanguard is the only one I've seen touted as having a massive world and I wonder how it compares.

Less square miles, but a fuck ton more in those square miles than Asheron's Call's sparse landscapes.

The Sneak! on
    edited June 2008
    My shield is so gay. Seriously KingMole, look how gay my shield is.

You could protect your face with it. Maybe.
    eelektrik wrote: »

Less square miles, but a fuck ton more in those square miles than Asheron's Call's sparse landscapes.

I think WWIIOL wins in square miles for MMOs.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I had forgotten how cool the world of this game was.

also they've made a ton of changes to classes it seems, I had like 10-15 new skills on my bard.

now more of you guys needs to come back and play, all the other pa'ers playing atm are like lv.10-15 and i'm lv.42 :(

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Aldo wrote: »
    More people need to look at Perfect World and do it like them. *nod nod*
    So, all the customization in the world for loli/bishi races, half the customization for generic catgirls (I guess the tacked on ears interfere with the sliders) and no customization for lolfurry races? Horde would be so fucked with this model. :P

Glal on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Jesus Christ, it's like you guys read my post and half way through think "you know, I should probably make a joke about this...now lets read it again and misinterpret in such a way that I can make a joke"

When I say "look at how PW did it" I meant the core system of having 30-something standard faces and a few basic sliders to adjust chest size, eye form etc and for the people who really want to go out of their way there's a few dozen advanced sliders allowing you to recreate Mr. T or George Bush. Besides that, they also load in characters in a sort of layer-by-layer approach: when characters first load in they have a standard face (that looks like a normal face and not the headless horseman bullshit of AoC) and when you get closer to them their own creation loads in.

What this means is that you can look truly unique (okay, now an option to dye your armor. :| ) but that it is not slowing down the game at all.

When a free to play game can pull this off I don't understand why other games still cling to their 3 types of skin, 5 hair cuts and 2 beards. People play MMOs to be their own big hero, that doesn't quite work when everyone looks exactly like you.

What I'm not saying is that Perfect World is a fun game, is better than MMOs with only 3 faces or that games that use their char creator should also copy the rest of the game with it.

Aldo on
  • meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    holy fuck this got to four pages? wow.

I know right?

You remember the last Vanguard thread? It's long since been deleted but basically consisted of an enthusiastic OP followed by a page of people making fun of the game and it falling out of reality. I admit, I was one of them :oops:.

Good to see they're trying to improve the game even if not a lot of people play it anymore. I might give this a try if we lived in an alternate universe where AoC wasn't out right now.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
    edited June 2008
    Jesus Christ, it's like you guys read my post and half way through think "you know, I should probably make a joke about this...now lets read it again and misinterpret in such a way that I can make a joke"
    Well, it might also be a problem with this being a "revive interest in a game" thread, so raising complaints that are nigh universal to all MMOs and making them sound critical (when they in fact are not to most people) kinda works against that.

"Hey guys, give this game another chance, it's actually good now!"
    "Holy shit, no water foam simulation, and the chargen is terrible!"

Glal on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Glal wrote: »
    Well, it might also be a problem with this being a "revive interest in a game" thread, so raising complaints that are nigh universal to all MMOs and making them sound critical (when they in fact are not to most people) kinda works against that.

"Hey guys, give this game another chance, it's actually good now!"
    "Holy shit, no water foam simulation, and the chargen is terrible!"

Oh, I'm sorry I'm coming off like that. I am in fact very interested in this game and am looking forward to trying it out.

Aldo on
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, meat flower actualy I belive i started that thread :D Anyways, fooms just start a new chr :D you will get to lvl 10+ in no time and we can all go hump up some lower lvl dungeans :D

Axen you might want to try stopping the patcher and restarting it. Helps a bit, took me ...3 to 4 days to download the game but im on glorified dial up right now. I suualy ust left it on over night, eh oh well. Hope it works out.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    More pictures please

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited June 2008
    Ill go run around tonight, my settings are shit but, still looks nice.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

edited June 2008
    Again, just more at-release screenies, at settings that made the game somewhat playable on a... Christ, I can't remember what graphics card I had back then. I think it was a GF6600GT.

I resized them because, leaning closer to the screen, I noticed that the JPEGs were actually quite poorly/overly compressed. Artifacting out the ass.

http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/9305/screenshot00075ae5.jpg
    http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/8454/screenshot00031fi3.jpg
    http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/5356/screenshot00032aa0.jpg
    http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/3662/screenshot00041vb2.jpg
    http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/9376/screenshot00051ya1.jpg

Glal on
    edited June 2008
    I will make more screenshots later, time to go to work for 10 hours

The Sneak! on
  • OscrethOscreth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Glal wrote: »
    Again, just more at-release screenies, at settings that made the game somewhat playable on a... Christ, I can't remember what graphics card I had back then. I think it was a GF6600GT.

I resized them because, leaning closer to the screen, I noticed that the JPEGs were actually quite poorly/overly compressed. Artifacting out the ass.

http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/9305/screenshot00075ae5.jpg
    http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/8454/screenshot00031fi3.jpg
    http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/5356/screenshot00032aa0.jpg
    http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/3662/screenshot00041vb2.jpg
    http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/9376/screenshot00051ya1.jpg
    Screens are nice. But I don't see any mobs. Is the world so expansive that there are no living creatures for miles?

Oscreth on
    Old man, family, works too hard, locked into a routine, but still plays with army men and video games.

If you want to play League of Legends, here is my refer a friend: So I get points
    edited June 2008
    They're "this is a nice view" screenshots, not "let's show people the game" screenshots.

Glal on
    edited June 2008
    I think i'll go get you some really nice pics later on tonight. I remember there being a wicked rainforest valley. and there should be a place I can get pics of the skies covered in dragons.

Foomy on
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Skies covered in...dragons?

My eyes must bare witness to this.

Accualt on
    edited June 2008
    Accualt wrote: »

From what I remember, occasionally dragons will fly over zones. From the buddy key I used ages ago, I remember seeing a massive red one flying over the Orc/Goblin newbie zone, and another one flying over the thestran barbarian newbie zone.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
    edited June 2008
    KingMole wrote: »
    Accualt wrote: »

From what I remember, occasionally dragons will fly over zones. From the buddy key I used ages ago, I remember seeing a massive red one flying over the Orc/Goblin newbie zone, and another one flying over the thestran barbarian newbie zone.

theres an old castle in thestra for about 25-30ish lv. people where theres smallish dragons flying about constantly. and theres quests to kill them.

in north Qalia theres a lv. 50ish area just crammed with dragons, or at least there used to be, I'll have to see if it's still around

Foomy on
  • chrpnkchrpnk Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    oh noes I installed this again.

OH NOES IT'S PATCHING RIGHT NOW!

OH NOES!!!

chrpnk on
    edited June 2008
    WOOOT! our corruptive influence have reached far and wide! mwhahahahahaha!!

Draeven on

• ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Alright people talk to me about the changes. I was playing a rogue and it was fun but my computer couldn't run the game for shit and it was terrible. GU5 was a few days ago and apparently shits awesome now. I might have $15 to spare since I already have the game but I need some convincing if anyone can facilitate.

Shogun on
    edited June 2008
    Alright I have ~30 mins left on the patcher. Lets hope it doesn't have another large ass download after it. So Seradon is the server I should pick? I will probably go with a human type race. Blood Mage sounds like a cool class. How does it perform in game?

Axen on
    edited June 2008
    Holy crap this game runs sooooo much better now.

I can pretty much max everything now.

I'll probably give this a serious try again if I get bored of AoC.

chrpnk on
    edited June 2008
    chrpnk wrote: »
    Holy crap this game runs sooooo much better now.

I can pretty much max everything now.

I'll probably give this a serious try again if I get bored of AoC.

Agreed. Expect for the last part, I am playing it now.

Once bitten twice shy they say, so I was expecting the worst. I am happily surprised at how well the game runs now. I think I have the settings one set below the max. Game looks good, runs good, now I need to find a race/class I like.

Axen on
  • AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This game had some seriously brilliant ideas that were ruined by a really poor execution.

Now I don't know what the fuck to do. I bought AoC to try it out, EQ2 has this free play thing going on, and I really really want to love Vanguard and now there's PA folks there again (holy shit it's Fooms! I remember him from way way back at launch).

Fuck it. I'm repatching this.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So is this game really grindy, or quest-heavy? I'm currently playing Age of Conan, which started off pretty strong with lots of quests, but now I'm running out of anything my level in the Aquilonian area, and am seeing that I will have to travel through many zones to go to some other starting area to try and make up a bit of extra XP so I can finish the stuff in my own zone.

Toxic Pickle on
    edited June 2008
    Your H-scroll is about to get raped.

Alright, while it's patching I've got some old screenshots from back in the buggy days of Vanguard. So this is with settings turned up to about Medium, because even an 8800GTS and an overclocked E6600 couldn't keep up with this game. If it's even more optimized now then it's got to look goddamn gorgeous. I haven't cropped anything so you can get some action shots of stuff.

First, the glitchy:
    OVER ONE BEEELLION DAMAGE (not really)
    PYrImhO4tah3Cfd5sNSzRuB7tYVbFi1jH4Tm_AR_N0SRh9URJdHCxBUMQmXaiY85ySK91DipcSIjZqq5y52BROJrg2Ew80yEKClOFaawUdbRlHD51djUGr8LIcpv1FIG

Someone killed the workbenches and left 'em all ghostly or something
    ggsRLfk1S0A7sE1eML1pyoMLZlrQv4Whh1RCCUEFE0HWHgHYuVcNU65wPfmi_eBrpC9mF7-ZGyx_axztOR1UKX-PfYaD4fw73KKqQUq5TnL7Xm_UmuAB633-ehqIF1D7

From a distance he still looks alive...
    jIhZGnTSg_9kyHRFK43Vyg-zwDtxnwi7gKUja5Bqb8ADqhQsXAJ5S7NXdxrbjkjYqcXydsYcbHu7XJwxMy6qP4LE38PwVpZu7ZEEPw2TUXwSZD8ZTNtJ-45ctPk754sL

Next, the funny:
    And you wondered what happened to him after his gaming career was over...
    hgKnF8UYDVT33ZYea_xdeQ6HlICGM_j8SvaCg27TMkDu9UkKhnC7XN8jF-Q4Qkh2JdYzrCwHz9mQo1OXTMSmZwN1dc9hn-ja4t36xwg_anYV4ZoKWzHU6Jfu90Q5tOT7

Hey, thanks for the sarcasm item-description-writer-guy.
    EKLTpb6KRUQwTjbWx4Xpvg4ZV762rCocbfiIYSUPoW9ZkplYlAECVVr6HT_9F6AUnmJQ12aJscYAmLWg-JB98SozdCZiWDxFsTC440rDwEWq9F2LNiUAixWQndVr-xgb

...man, just what is his problem anyway.
    1lKIj0GcmLdTNjp1bExeXvwHAJN02uB55SxcXx01a0v8GJJ3DxwrAbAixx4zKpvJS2ZcMgHJrL2ZruTNY4ae2GPg5DCBUo_RWhAultOVZ-2TUag0NBIoNAOnmkp855Hl

You can have some ridiculously long names in Vangaurd.
    n0RUfkOjoo4dB99x9wjWfIGaHuCdn7fWN01S-vSeV92w_kEUGvvsEILqQTuuUF60fBR_igbkK4LXanDyr7fHeBLdpGQdhR9S5J9oN8TrIB72i8Bi7lOMNi0KS100OZcq

And... well, there's nothing I can add to this one. Fooms can try to explain this.
    SqWAMz80OO9UurEAgfux7KCgDGFknqJjPzzmz5Mewkw4fGl0vNq8a0-FvE0aG91kqfmvVxqM-mdomaGMcQ5kFLZB3DPeWleQRH1xE5g6F48KipP5xt30fYGgq_Pi-nQu

Lastly, the pretty. This game looks really fucking good.
    Items and characters look great. Animations are a bit iffy, but screenshots never let you down.
    sGVZTp0R3Ptn_f2h4ZmnJX2vjV5ZQiHF5LI05M7iykcauacmLrGXTbpg3n11dJFr4wqFw6GL0l2uFMVSlRezbu4pbWBYCr1ENK8RwJTcLzoXbopewg7qFWmYtiwmhfAD

This was my guy! He looks exactly like the scrawny, pasty spellcaster I wanted.
    Ca7OSVG7lzVMMdDa6DDkXa0s-2KTP5VS-n29qdcxPXLO_egT2B9y4iHkA_u0tob37RJgaNFF-b3YykjcM6v0IlvJ1VZav4FoXLNT__HsWXtqccRbBS5TQtJX0jjuW7sB

The water here is about 2km away. Yeah.
    21tFUDfgRCU8t6kLIsKLdF86BrOnnlvgzqbmoxqLvkKQgyChmRRoWV7dRQiT8lWQ0qzo1GbglEE4XoXojDHL10r9xnLC1mY6NSK-Mo8JGlPCeqWWfsV_-RQvHdSakUtN

Bloom used... correctly, for once. The sun's rising behind that horizon, so there's lots of glare. Also, Loras has a potty mouth.
    oyN-dCGq0EAVTX0g-vv24rO0pOguVB0hcw-3eP2QeddR90gKJ1OLHfriTBctgKscXTKiYLxwYZiqhxJAr0k9wXyH5nPaVspgTmfSrp5FPIbTNNB-22Gs92AFeWB40IDc

Slightly to the right of that last shot, are mountains about 10km away. Qalia is probably the least impressive of the continents, landscape-wise, and it still looks amazing.
    4d-Lpx-gYrzs0GJS7lehbtK0WKIoFCSdqAga9UnopYm1kbOShxZ71ogqdW-A6OzvALGLxiXrPWQP7HYVCCamDGWx0uLKS4Ygtr8mskjRsoFEYeALHxNGu8wT5pa3YY9h

So that's what Vanguard looks like.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
    edited June 2008
    I'll only play this again if we can get Fooms to run around and find quests for us again.

chrpnk on
  • Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Next to AoC, when people say Vanguard looks really good, I kind of go all o_O. I just don't think it has anything on AoC, even comparing the different styles.

Now, is there any type of player housing in Vanguard?

Whiniest Man On Earth on
    edited June 2008
    Not only did I never expect this thread to get off the ground, I never expected anyone to actually reactivate and give the game another fair shake. Hope those of you that came back enjoy the everloving shit out of it now that it, you know, works.

The Sneak! on
    edited June 2008
    defrag wrote: »
    Next to AoC, when people say Vanguard looks really good, I kind of go all o_O. I just don't think it has anything on AoC, even comparing the different styles.

Now, is there any type of player housing in Vanguard?

That's because Age of Conan has a major emphasis on graphics, which causes the world to be cramped and clusterfucked, which then causes the zones to have to be instanced to high hell. Vanguard is one seamless, gigantic, pretty world.

Yes, there is player housing, which is also not instanced. Give me about 10 minutes, and I'll take screenshots of our guild's keep.

The Sneak! on
    edited June 2008
    chrpnk wrote: »
    I'll only play this again if we can get Fooms to run around and find quests for us again.

Fooms was a great guild bitch. The only way we could even get to our housing chunk below level 50 was to have him super-speed and group-invis us all and run up there. Which still took ten minutes at 250% run speed.

AresProphet on
    ex9pxyqoxf6e.png