As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

CONTRACT - getting good reviews. What are your opinions? [images, mildly nsfw]

MAD!MAD! Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in Graphic Violence
Little shameless self promotion.

Contract is now listed in Diamonds May previews. With our SUPER-SIZED FIRST ISSUE!

contract01supsize.jpgcontractalrio01cover.jpg

Order codes are:
APR083502 CONTRACT #0 A $0.25 preview issue
MAY083541 CONTRACT #1 Which ships with 2 covers 50/50 ratio by Kevin Sharpe and Al Rio respectively.

Diamond recently did an interview with us which can be found here:
DIAMOND INTERVIEW
http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:E1npWRxDGRcJ:previews.diamondcomics.com/public/default.asp%3Ft%3D1%26m%3D1%26c%3D23%26s%3D126%26ai%3D68194%26ssd%3D+garan+madeiros+comic&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=5&lr=lang_en&client=firefox-a

It features the artwork of Dave Ross (Star Wars: Dark Times) Ariel Padilla (Tomo) Kevin Sharpe (X-Treme X-men) Sal Velluto (Black Panther) Mark McKenna (Countdown) and more.

In a capitalist world's dark future, Mercenary is no longer just a soldier for hire. It's a way of life. Law is enforced by cyber-powered Mercs and life or death is decided by the lowest bidder. There is no right or wrong beyond the price in hard currency. Jessie Garrett, however, is everything most Mercs are not: honest, selfless and determined to bring order to greed-hardened worlds, driven mad by money. But when a corporate kidnapping goes wrong, Jessie, and fellow Mercs, Panzer and Tsumi, get in over their heads. Strip clubs, black-market organ dealers, cyber-enhanced soldiers and the life of one young girl collide in Contract's first 3-part mini-series, and no one can predict the cost.

And if you managed to snag a CONTRACT #0 Preview issue at Nycomicon please shoot us an email at fansalvo@gmail.com and tell us what you thought.

MAD! on

• wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Sweet, I was wondering when this was going to get solicited.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Looks pretty sweet man, do you have an actual release date yet?

smokmnky on
  • MAD!MAD! Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The $0.25 issue #0 will be out in June.
    The first issue will be out July.

MAD! on
    edited May 2008
    I was interested anyway (since way back when you posted the preview), but putting out a zero issue is smart. More creator-owned works need to a low-cost/no-cost way for people to get to know the material.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
    edited May 2008
    wwtMask wrote: »
    I was interested anyway (since way back when you posted the preview), but putting out a zero issue is smart. More creator-owned works need to a low-cost/no-cost way for people to get to know the material.

Indeed, that was my thinking as well. A $0.25 is a NO RISK trial for a reader and retailer. as One reviewer said "A Gum-ball in a Gum-ball machine is like $0.25."
    On DCBS it was only $0.13 another reviewer response was "Hell a bag and board cost nearly as much, and I guarantee that the reading will be allot better on this book than on a bag and board."
    I though that was funny and cool.

MAD! on
    edited May 2008
    Oh yeah, if anyone orders through DCBS they have a Special Discount on CONTRACT #1

MAD! on
    edited May 2008
    Diamond just put this up on their Diamond Daily Retailer website:

A First Salvo Travels to Capitalist Future with Contract #1
    Product News, Diamond Daily, 5/23/2008

A First Salvo brings readers a look at a bleak capitalist future where soldiers-for-hire are the order of the day in Contract #1 (MAY08 3541F), the start of a three-issue limited series available for order now from Diamond!

From creators Garan Maderios and Charles Shell comes this new series that paints a picture of life in a world where being a mercenary isn’t just a job but a way of life. In this future, laws are enforced by cyber-powered mercs, while life and death is decided by the lowest bidder. Jessie Garrett is a rarity among mercs: honest, selfless and determined to bring order to worlds driven mad by money. But when a corporate kidnapping goes wrong, Jessie and fellow Mercs Panzer and Tsumi get in over their heads as strip clubs, black-market organ dealers, cyber-enhanced soldiers and the life of one young girl collide.

Easily marketed to fans of science fiction tales packed with ideas and action, the 48-page, full-color Contract #1 is available for order now, so confirm your quantities today!

Item Code Description Price
    MAY08 3541F CONTRACT #1 (OF 3) $3.99
    JUN08 3608F CONTRACT #2 (OF 3) $2.99

MAD! on
  • mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Those are some epic boobs

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
    edited May 2008
    Hmm, I think I can afford to add a 3 issue mini to my pull list.

wwtMask on
    edited May 2008
    Thanks for the comments guys, Heavy Ink recently did an Interview with me about CONTRACT too.
    It is now up on their website

http://heavyink.com/

http://heavyink.com/talent/5594-Garan-Madeiros#interview

Check it out.

Actually if there are any reviewers and industry pros who would like to review CONTRACT please just let me know and I can get you the issues in PDF. Just send me a PM. So far the reviews I am getting have been positive.

Here is the cover to the second issue,

JUN083608F.jpg

I don't have the newest previews here in Bermuda yet so I don't even know what page it is on.

MAD! on
    edited May 2008
    Have you gotten actual release dates yet for the 0 and #1 issues? I know you said June and July just wondering actual dates so I can check these out.

smokmnky on
    edited May 2008
    The #0 issue should be out in the June 4th shipment.
    Won't know for the #1 until a little closer to July.

MAD! on
    edited May 2008
    Sweet I will keep my eye open for it.

smokmnky on
    edited June 2008
    In an effort to help promote CONTRACT I'm sending out a call to all the readers and retailers out there.
    Here are some downloadable promo posters and an order form that can be printed and taken into your local comic shop.
    If you know of retailers, or are a retailer, who is supporting CONTRACT please email me at fansalvo@gmail.com with name and address of the store so that I may personally thank them with a listing in the issues.

Thanks for your help
    Garan Madeiros

jessiepromoposter.jpg

jesssadpromoposter.jpg

Teampromoposter.jpg

contractform.jpg

MAD! on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2008
    her breasts are ridiculous

Garlic Bread on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    ly awesome

Munch on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2008
    like, shouldn't they be popping the buttons off of that jacket?

or is it shaped that way? like when she hangs it up the chest droops down?

Garlic Bread on
    edited June 2008
    Mad, I added Contract to my pull list. I've got high hopes for your book.

wwtMask on
    edited June 2008
    Keith wrote: »

LOL, the SUPER SIZE cover is purposely overdone for comedic effect (and to grab attention) for the 48 page super size first issue.

But a quick answer your question her "costume" is custom made

MAD! on
    edited June 2008
    Mad, I added Contract to my pull list. I've got high hopes for your book.

Thanks much Mask, so far it is getting good reviews :)

MAD! on
    edited June 2008
    MAD! wrote: »

LOL, the SUPER SIZE cover is purposely overdone for comedic effect (and to grab attention) for the 48 page super size first issue.

But a quick answer your question her "costume" is custom made

ridiculous breasts are a turn-off, sorry

Garlic Bread on
    edited June 2008

ridiculous breasts are a turn-off, sorry

Hey mate no prob, everyone has their preference. Personally I prefer a brunettes and a darker complexion. :winky:

But you know, and Keith this is no reflexion on you so please don't take it as any sort of personal attack or insult, I don't understand why so many comic fans have a "I hate any sort of large breasted females in my comics." We are bombarded by sexual imagery on a constant daily basis, be it TV, magazines, commercials, heck even when a good looking women walks by on the street. But when we go into the comic shop we are expected to turn our nose and act like we are above all that.

Come on. I make no excuses as a male and my attractions to women. I have a wonderful wife, (who is busty by the way) but if I see a hot "thang" walk by I'm gonna look.

My heroine is chesty, but I wanted her to have the feel of the "hot farm-girl" I'm a fan of Adam Hughes (who isn' though eh?) Terry Dodson, Frank Cho and so forth and I wanted my heroine to reflect that.

(I'm so hoping I can get covers by those guys)

MAD! on
    edited June 2008
    I don't understand why so many comic fans have a "I hate any sort of large breasted females in my comics."

What? It's the complete opposite of that. You look at any cover with a female character on it and she's got triple-Ds going on. Yeah, some girls have large breasts and dress sexy, and that's okay if some characters are like that. But when every female character is a Playmate it's just ridiculous. Especially when the female star of four out of five indie books has giant breasts.

Garlic Bread on
    edited June 2008
    I don't understand why so many comic fans have a "I hate any sort of large breasted females in my comics."

What? It's the complete opposite of that. You look at any cover with a female character on it and she's got triple-Ds going on. Yeah, some girls have large breasts and dress sexy, and that's okay if some characters are like that. But when every female character is a Playmate it's just ridiculous. Especially when the female star of four out of five indie books has giant breasts.

Understandable, but there is a reason why there are not many comics with fat or skinny, or even just "plain janes" as their female lead.

Those books don't sell.

MAD! on
    edited June 2008
    I understand that.

But it still disgusts me that everyone uses "huge tits" as the focus point of their covers.

Garlic Bread on
    edited June 2008
    I understand that.

But it still disgusts me that everyone uses "huge tits" as the focus point of their covers.

Well man, I don't know what to tell you Keith. I'm sorry that your disgusted by boobage, but please don't let that hurt your enjoyment of the story inside the issue.

MAD! on
    edited June 2008
    Don't mind Keith. He's just upset that there isn't rippling man-flesh on the cover.

wwtMask on
    edited June 2008
    Don't mind Keith. He's just upset that there isn't rippling man-flesh on the cover.

Yep! And you like it 'cause it's a white woman, right?

Don't be a dick.

Garlic Bread on
    edited June 2008
    Rippling man flesh? I can't use the Blob on my comic covers, hes a marvel character

MAD! on
    edited June 2008

Yep! And you like it 'cause it's a white woman, right?

Don't be a dick.

I was making a joke, Keith. You know, like other people here have in the past, to which you did not get all defensive and stuff. Gosh

wwtMask on
    edited June 2008
    I still like you Mask, even though with your avatar change I keep wondering who the new person is. As for Keith...well I actually get his point.

That being said I like the look of your heroine MAD! and am looking forward to this $.25 0 issue or whatever it is.

smokmnky on
    edited June 2008
    MAD, what's the cover price going to be for the series? The standard $2.99?

wwtMask on
    edited June 2008
    The first Super Size issue is 48 pgs and has a $3.99 price tag. The following issues are the standard $2.99

So guys know the printing quality is very good, we use the same printers that Marvel and Image use for many of their books.

MAD! on
    edited June 2008
    Hey guys, here is a review from Heroine Addict! about the first couple issues

http://www.uberwillowtara.com/heroineaddict/issues080521.html

Check it out!

MAD! on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    dude, I wouldn't post a review by someone who liked Tarot and Bomb Queen as something to be proud of, ever.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • ZombieAsumaZombieAsuma Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I thought the first Bomb Queen mini-series was pretty funny. Although I can't say anything for 2-4 as I've never read them.

ZombieAsuma on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    man

man

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    I thought the first Bomb Queen mini-series was pretty funny. Although I can't say anything for 2-4 as I've never read them.

i read the fourth one, i think (maybe third) and i'll say this about it: it was filled with titties

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    SO I just wanted to let you know that this and Kick Ass are the first two books I have ever put on a pull list! Things look good so far and I'm really looking forward to issue #1!

Also I <3 big boobs.

Bucketman on
    edited June 2008
    Bucketman wrote: »
    SO I just wanted to let you know that this and Kick Ass are the first two books I have ever put on a pull list! Things look good so far and I'm really looking forward to issue #1!

Also I <3 big boobs.

Thanks mate, the support is appreciated!

MAD! on