As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Badly Wonderful Sword and Sorcery Movies

mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I've had a hankering lately for some really cheesy fantasy movies from the days of yore. As of right now I've seen:

Conan
Beastmaster

Any other recommendations? Deepdiscountdvd is having their semi-annual 20% off sale so I'm looking to stock up.

mightyspacepope on

• LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You've definitely got to check out Krull.

Also, Red Sonja is awesomely bad and has the Governator in it.

The second Dungeons and Dragons movie is a step up from the first one, which, if you haven't seen the firest one, consider yourself lucky.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • TrowizillaTrowizilla Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Seconding Red Sonja!

Also, Ladyhawke.

Trowizilla on
  • Peter PrinciplePeter Principle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Flesh + Blood, perhaps one of the most appropriately named movies ever. Another Rutger Hauer vehicle. (may not be any sorcery in this one, I can't remember).

Willow

Dragonslayer

Highlander!

Dragonheart

Time Bandits (kinda)

http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0027379/

Peter Principle on
    "A man is likely to mind his own business when it is worth minding. When it is not, he takes his mind off his own meaningless affairs by minding other people's business." - Eric Hoffer, _The True Believer_
  • D.T.D.T. Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Check out Legend and Krull. You'll be amazed at how many familiar faces are in Krull.

D.T. on
    DxTiddy.png
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Also, the live action He-Man and The Masters of the Universe.
    So terrible.
    So good.
    Skeletor4.jpg

Local H Jay on
  • grendel824_grendel824_ Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Oh, jesus, I just sat through "Sinbad" (starring Lou Ferrigno). You may hate me forever for bringing it to your attention, though, but holy crap it was completely insanely bad. It might be really awesome if you took some kind of hallucinogen, though.

grendel824_ on
  • LukinLukin Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    There's a series called Deathstalker. They are deliciously shitty.

Lukin on
    cancer.jpg
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm thirding (fourthing?) Red Sonja. It's one of my all time favorite guilty pleasures.

Regina Fong on
    edited June 2008
    Man, Krull and Willow are not cheesy. They are legitimately good films for their [admitedly weak] genre.

Regina Fong on
  • EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Krull is just bad.

Endomatic on
  • chaosbearchaosbear Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The Barbarians
    Yor, Hunter from the Future
    Ator the Fighting Eagle...also known as The Cave Dwellers
    Beastmaster 1 and 2
    Flash Gordon (not exactly what you are looking for, but has many of the same elements)
    Kull the Conquerer
    the Deathstalker movies

chaosbear on
  • MosanaMosana Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Eragon is pretty recent but does a decent job of channeling everything that makes these movies bad

Mosana on
  • Ado-sanAdo-san Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Willow!

Willow is great, a fond memory as a kid indeed.

Ado-san on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FantasmaFantasma Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I saw not long ago a movie called: Pan's Labyrinth, it is in Spanish, but with English subtitles. I enjoyed every bit of it, it is a very recent movie.

Fantasma on
    Hear my warnings, unbelievers. We have raised altars in this land so that we may sacrifice you to our gods. There is no hope in opposing the inevitable. Put down your arms, unbelievers, and bow before the forces of Chaos!
  • CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Fantasma wrote: »
    I saw not long ago a movie called: Pan's Labyrinth, it is in Spanish, but with English subtitles. I enjoyed every bit of it, it is a very recent movie.

While Pan's Labyrinth is an excellent movie, it's nowhere close to what the OP wants

A few more so bad they're good Sword and Sorcery movies

Steel Dawn

Excalibur (the early 1980s version)

Merlin (the miniseries version)

The Sword and the Sorcerer

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • 1ddqd1ddqd Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Just "The Labyrinth"

1ddqd on
  • FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Endomatic wrote: »
    Krull is just bad.

It's good and has Liam Neeson.

Also check out Hawke the Slayer and Lady Hawk.

Edit: Swap the e's. It's Hawk the Slayer and Ladyhawke

Fellhand on
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'd back up Ladyhawke, that's a good movie, and Willow is awesome too. Princess Bride is sword and sorcery but it's comedic, I'm sure you've seen it though.

There was also a good miniseries about Merlin in the 90s staring sam neil which I thought wasn't too bad.

If you haven't seen it, the Adventures of Baron Von Munchausen is so awesome. Also, let's not forget Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal. The list goes on with The Never Ending Story.

A lot of people seem to hate it, but I really liked the animated movie The Black Cauldron, of course I haven't seen it since I was a kid, two other guilty pleasures in the Animated Fantasy Genre would be the Last Unicorn (shut up) and the Secret of NIMH.

Some of those aren't really Sword and Sorcery, but they come close, and they're all worth a watch if you haven't seen them, for good or for bad.

Dissociater on
  • FantasmaFantasma Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    While Pan's Labyrinth is an excellent movie, it's nowhere close to what the OP wants

Steel Dawn

He said "Fantasy movies", Pan's Labyrinth contains fantasy, but not only that, Magic, and animal behavior :winky:

Fantasma on
    Hear my warnings, unbelievers. We have raised altars in this land so that we may sacrifice you to our gods. There is no hope in opposing the inevitable. Put down your arms, unbelievers, and bow before the forces of Chaos!
  • Sunday_AssassinSunday_Assassin Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Bloodrayne may be the worst movie I've ever seen.

Sunday_Assassin on
  • OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Army of Darkness.

Maybe that old animated Hobbit.

Octoparrot on
  • DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Clash of the Titans
    Jason and the Argonauts
    Heavy Metal

Edit: I don't know about Ferrigno's "Sinbad", but "The 7th Voyage of Sinbad" with all the Harryhausen effects is awesome. Jeez this thread makes me feel old.

Djeet on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Steel Dawn

He said "Fantasy movies", Pan's Labyrinth contains fantasy, but not only that, Magic, and animal behavior :winky:

He also said "cheesy", and Pan's Labyrinth was... not.

There's a recently released animated version of Dragons of Autumn Twilight that, well, I'm a fan of the book and turned it off after the first twenty minutes.

Also, really bad fantasy? Should check out In The Name of the King. Still waiting for my friends to get together so I can do a bad movie night with it. This one is also recent, though. The "days of yore" films I can think of have already been mentioned.

A lot of the above are also good suggestions.

Tomanta on
  • LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    Flesh + Blood, perhaps one of the most appropriately named movies ever. Another Rutger Hauer vehicle. (may not be any sorcery in this one, I can't remember).

Willow

Dragonslayer

Highlander!

Dragonheart

Time Bandits (kinda)

http://www.imdb.com/character/ch0027379/

You should be permabanned for mentioning Dragonslayer as a cheesy fantasy film. It was years ahead of its time!! :evil:

Anyways...

A good classic is these if you can find them on DVD :

Jabberwocky
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jabberwocky_%28film%29

There is a shit load of cheesy animated fantasy films as well.

Fire and Ice
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_and_Ice_%281983_film%29

Original LOTR animated films:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lord_of_the_Rings_%281978_film%29
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Return_of_the_King_%281980_film%29

The Last Unicorn
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Unicorn_%28film%29

LondonBridge on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Dungeons and Dragons...

not only is it the a bad fantasy movie... it could very well be the worst movie of all time.

This movie is so bad, the Batman and Robin movie walked out on it.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    Sentry wrote: »
    Dungeons and Dragons...

not only is it the a bad fantasy movie... it could very well be the worst movie of all time.

This movie is so bad, the Batman and Robin movie walked out on it.

I agree. The OP is looking for 'Badly Wonderful,' not something that would give ocular herpes.

LondonBridge on
  • Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Cheesy? I'm going to recommend Flash Gordon, because space opera and S&S are essentially the same genre in terms of story structure, particularly in this case - and I have a feeling that Flash Gordon might be exactly what you're looking for.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • ihmmyihmmy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Tomanta wrote: »

Steel Dawn

He also said "cheesy", and Pan's Labyrinth was... not.

There's a recently released animated version of Dragons of Autumn Twilight that, well, I'm a fan of the book and turned it off after the first twenty minutes.

Also, really bad fantasy? Should check out In The Name of the King. Still waiting for my friends to get together so I can do a bad movie night with it. This one is also recent, though. The "days of yore" films I can think of have already been mentioned.

A lot of the above are also good suggestions.

I actually kind of enjoyed In The Name of the King... but my brain went "this is a fantasy movie, refuse to take it seriously". It's certainly not a great or truly amazing film, but it was kinda fun if you refuse to take it seriously

Dragon Wars
    you might like Gabriel, though it's not quite so sword and sorcery, but it's about angels vs demons on earth. It was better than I expected
    Last Legion was super cheesy, it was an Excalibur story set in Rome
    Beowulf is a newer sword n sorcery, not old, not horribly cheesy (though it wasn't exactly perfect either)
    if you want something utterly shitty, watch Pathfinder

you are also required to watch Equilibrium (not cheesy, not sword and sorcery, just awesome) and Serenity. Just because they're both so damn good.

ihmmy on
  • DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    God I love Dragonheart.

I still always imagine Joffrey in ASoIaF as that asshole king.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'll throw in one that has already been thrown in and one that hasn't:

The Dungeonmaster

Dalboz on
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    It's animated, but the Pagemaster cartoon is pretty bad/good

as is the Oddysey (sp?) miniseries movie with Armand Assante

My vote goes with the others though that Krull has to be the best of the best for great shitty fantasy movies.

That man had the worlds finest beard, and the best hero laugh I've ever heard on film.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Well, if we're throwing in those old high-budget miniseries, I'll add The 10th Kingdom to the list. I also liked the Gulliver's Travels miniseries with Ted Danson.

Dalboz on
  • RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Willow, I think it's a fun movie to watch.

13th Warrior was also pretty awesome. I enjoyed it, but it was about 7 years since I last saw it. Not sure if it's what you're looking for.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Fellhand wrote: »
    Hawk the Slayer

This, this, a million times this. This movie has come to define cheesy fantasy flicks for me and anyone I know who has seen it. It can't be described, you must witness it for yourself.

SlickShughes on
    edited June 2008
    Ryadic wrote: »
    Willow, I think it's a fun movie to watch.

13th Warrior was also pretty awesome. I enjoyed it, but it was about 7 years since I last saw it. Not sure if it's what you're looking for.

I watched this again last week. It's actually a quite good movie. It's definitely something the OP would enjoy.

Regina Fong on
  • grendel824_grendel824_ Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Oh, jesus, I just sat through "Sinbad" (starring Lou Ferrigno). You may hate me forever for bringing it to your attention, though, but holy crap it was completely insanely bad. It might be really awesome if you took some kind of hallucinogen, though.

Just to cover my ass, apparently trying to be slightly funny can be construed as being mean to the OP - so for the hard-of-reading/completely without the slightest sense of humor people out there, this was a JOKE. Meaning, it was actually only bad, and not a serious suggestion of a good/wonderful movie to see. Even though I actually DID find it badly wonderful, peeps be gettin' "infractions" for being anything other than deadly serious, and if I remember my fellow mods from when I used to admin boards, nothing gets you more infractions than pointing out how crazy and wrong someone would have to be to refuse to undo their mistake... so unless mods have common decency and courtesy these days, I'll soon be chatting with you folks under a different IP and ID... :(

grendel824_ on
    edited June 2008

Just to cover my ass, apparently trying to be slightly funny can be construed as being mean to the OP - so for the hard-of-reading/completely without the slightest sense of humor people out there, this was a JOKE. Meaning, it was actually only bad, and not a serious suggestion of a good/wonderful movie to see. Even though I actually DID find it badly wonderful, peeps be gettin' "infractions" for being anything other than deadly serious, and if I remember my fellow mods from when I used to admin boards, nothing gets you more infractions than pointing out how crazy and wrong someone would have to be to refuse to undo their mistake... so unless mods have common decency and courtesy these days, I'll soon be chatting with you folks under a different IP and ID... :(

This is a really poor way to do what you're trying to do.

Regina Fong on
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    How cheesy was Legend (starring Tom Cruise!) ? I think I remember enjoying it the last time I saw it.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Fireflash wrote: »
    How cheesy was Legend (starring Tom Cruise!) ? I think I remember enjoying it the last time I saw it.

While Tim Curry (he played the Devil in Legend) is no stranger to cheesy movies... I don't think you can count Legend among them. Frankly, that movie is both frightening and beautiful... I would consider it a classic of the genre, if I could figure out what the hell genre it fit in.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
    edited June 2008
    Fireflash wrote: »

Sentimental favorite of mine. Some would probably consider it cheesy, and it probably hasn't aged well.

Regina Fong on