As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

iPhone

CasperCasper __BANNED USERS regular
edited June 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I have been going through at&ts nightmare of a website and have been unable to find out if you can use the iphone as a ipod without signing up for phone service or do you have to sign up for phone service for the thing to work at all.

Casper on

• ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Buy an iPod Touch if you have no need for the phone features.

But yes you can, if you unlock it using ZiPhone.

ben0207 on
  • CasperCasper __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    It is not that I do not want the phone feature it is that I just broke my old mp3 player and plan on buying a new one and I would like it to be an iphone, I am however in a location that does not support iphones. So just out of box the iphone does not work without signing up for cell phone service?

Casper on
  • CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    If you can't use the phone features why do you want the phone instead of the ipod touch? Save yourself a hundred + dollars and just get the touch.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
    edited June 2008
    In 5 months I will be able to use the phone function because I will be living in the states again. I figured I need a new mp3 player and a phone(for when I get back) I could just pick this up now.

Casper on
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The only thing you can do with the phone out of the box is dial emergency services. If you unlock the iPhone with a 3rd part app you can use the features but you've got an unlocked iphone that may or may not work when you get back to the states and hook it up to ATT's network.

Shogun on
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, the touch pretty much does all the iPhone does except make phone calls. It still has wifi and stuff for interneting.

Edit: Oh, well, I guess that might be a reasonable reason. Although even then, you could just sell the touch once you were back in the states. Depending on where you are, the iPhone is probably cheaper in the US anyway.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Honestly, just wait the five months and use a $20 USB MP3 in the interim. By then the new-gen iPhone will be out anyway.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Basically what Willeth just said. Check out buy.com, they have some ridiculous deals on refurb mp3 players, and with their first time google checkout coupon you can get them for practically nothing.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
    edited June 2008
    Willeth wrote: »
    Honestly, just wait the five months and use a $20 USB MP3 in the interim. By then the new-gen iPhone will be out anyway.

this looks to be what I will be doing until I go back to the states. Thanks.

Casper on
    edited June 2008
    Casper wrote: »
    Willeth wrote: »

this looks to be what I will be doing until I go back to the states. Thanks.

I'd even consider getting a nano or a shuffle. A secondary iPod can be surprisingly handy anyway. After getting my iPhone, I held onto my incredibly old iPod because it's useful as a secondary music player in the car - I can load it chock full of tracks, stick it in the dock and forget about it, doesn't need to do anything fancy except play music and it keeps my iPhone free for doing everything else. Maybe you work out or something and a smaller, simpler music playing iPod would be handy, maybe it'll be a neat gift to give to a girlfriend when you get back, who knows. I don't even know why I'm trying to sell this so hard, I don't get a commission.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, the touch pretty much does all the iPhone does except make phone calls. It still has wifi and stuff for interneting.

No camera. I don't know about others but this is a big thing for me.

edit: also AFAIK the iPod Touch doesn't have a speaker which sucks. Then again... wait, can the iPod function on the iPhone play through the built-in speaker, or is that only for phone services?

Well, either way it has a camera. :D

Organichu on
    edited June 2008
    Organichu wrote: »

No camera. I don't know about others but this is a big thing for me.

edit: also AFAIK the iPod Touch doesn't have a speaker which sucks. Then again... wait, can the iPod function on the iPhone play through the built-in speaker, or is that only for phone services?

Well, either way it has a camera. :D

Yeah, it can do that. It doesn't exactly sound great, but it can be handy if you're trying to describe a song to some one - find it on iTunes, play the preview over the speaker, job done.

Szechuanosaurus on