As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Afrika

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So we have the underwater Pokemon Snap game: Endless Ocean

And the above ground rendition: Afrika

Seriously though this looks really cool.

Renzo on
    edited June 2008
    syndalis wrote: »
    The threat of being eaten, stung, trampled, or drowned should exist.

that would sell it for me.

Yeah that's what I'm hoping for too.

Renzo on
  • SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Looks nice but the animals don't seem to have much weight to them. It's especially noticeable when they run. They just seem to touch the ground and lift their feet off. It's not like they are actually propelling themselves off of the ground to move.

SirToasty on
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

even if the screen just faded to black as soon as a lion locked eyes on you

the darkness says everything

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited June 2008
    bsjezz wrote: »

I want to take frantic pics of a lion eating me.

Or a head on shot of a stampede of Rhinos, seconds before they obliterate my body.

Or jump off a high cliff, taking pics as I fall to my death.

Basically, just make it an insane photography sandbox, I'll make my own damn game out of it.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Renzo wrote: »
    So we have the underwater Pokemon Snap game: Endless Ocean

And the above ground rendition: Afrika

Seriously though this looks really cool.

I'm totally waiting for the Astronomical version.

Also, ideally, you should be able to influence animal behavior.

I want to lure the hippos into a wildebeest stampede.

Incenjucar on
    edited June 2008

I want to take frantic pics of a lion eating me.

Or a head on shot of a stampede of Rhinos, seconds before they obliterate my body.

Or jump off a high cliff, taking pics as I fall to my death.

Basically, just make it an insane photography sandbox, I'll make my own damn game out of it.

And if you could store pics on SD or USB stick. The insane stories you could tell.

Renzo on
  • ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Here's to hoping that you can customize your gear. Sony Alpha A900 + Zeiss lenses plskthxbai

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You should be able to ride animals... elephant surfing anyone?

Falx on
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    undoubtedly i'm going to get this and be severely disappointed in the bird diversity

oh great, an ostrich. how exotic.

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This game needs David Attenborough.

I'm not joking. If this was nothing more than a real time version of Planet Earth, it would be so fucking bought.

Shame it's not.

A virtual planet encyclopaedia narrated by David Attenborough would be amazing. You can explore different environments of the world and view the local wildlife interacting with their habitat with him narrating hunting characteristics in the background.

Something like that would probably take up more of my time than a game would.

subedii on
    edited June 2008
    Threepio wrote: »
    Here's to hoping that you can customize your gear. Sony Alpha A900 + Zeiss lenses plskthxbai

That's for high level players. You should be able to move up from "tourist" to "amateur hobbyist" rank if you grind the molehill run a few times and get the right drops.

subedii on
  • ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    undoubtedly i'm going to get this and be severely disappointed in the bird diversity

oh great, an ostrich. how exotic.
    Yes, but those necks. So slender.

ben0207 on
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Holy crap, I recognized that one bird at the beginning. It's a superb starling.

Hot damn, I've lived in the country where this takes place. Though, personally, I'd say if you have the three thousand bucks to go on a good safari in Tanzania (that'll get you to Ruaha, which pwns the Serengeti any day) IRL, do it.

EDIT: The teaser seems to be somewhere near Ngorongoro Crater by the way the mountains look.

Mortal Sky on
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So it's confirmed as Pokemon Snap Next-Gen? Damnit, I wanted to play as the animals.

Stalk down a zebra Metal-Gear style with a cheetah, then pounce on it, hold L2+R2 to bite, and shake your SIXAXIS to break it's neck. Use the D-pad to call up menu commands to summon your offspring to feast upon its carcass.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So it's confirmed as Pokemon Snap Next-Gen? Damnit, I wanted to play as the animals.

Stalk down a zebra Metal-Gear style with a cheetah, then pounce on it, hold L2+R2 to bite, and shake your SIXAXIS to break it's neck. Use the D-pad to call up menu commands to summon your offspring to feast upon its carcass.

I... don't think that that is what you do.

But it would be AWESOME.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008

And as you do so the game streams in David Attenborough commentary that matches the on screen action.

-SPI- on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I thought that trailer looked pretty good. I liked the real footage and information of all the creatures you can bring up, too. I don't believe the character can be hurt or get into any danger, but hopefully that's not true. It would make it that much more exciting.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    edited June 2008
    subedii wrote: »
    Threepio wrote: »

That's for high level players. You should be able to move up from "tourist" to "amateur hobbyist" rank if you grind the molehill run a few times and get the right drops.

"Guys... guys... I got a G-series lens!!"

Did the manage to get the license to the song from Toto?

DID THEY?

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Hopefully they will add guns to the NA version.

Couscous on
    edited June 2008
    titmouse wrote: »
    Hopefully they will add guns to the NA version.

They're coming for the inevitable 360 port.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
    edited June 2008
    So I finally had a look at he video, and honestly it didn't look all that impressive. The whole thing just felt "uncanny valley", especially the animation. The animation really throws off the whole thing, especially when they show the real-world footage part way through and you can see how unnatural the movement looks. Watching any of the animals run just looked stiff and unnatural, like it was animated all the way back in 2000.

I understand there's problems with trying to mimic animal behaviour without mo-cap, but it is possible, and it's very important for a game that's going to be all about observing animals.

That and I felt that they probably would've been better off with the Far Cry 2 or Cryengine 2 engines. I know, wasn't an option when they started development, but the scenery in those games looks far more natural than it does here.

subedii on
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, the animation does seem pretty bad. I wasn't sure if that was the game or the video.

Couscous on
    edited June 2008
    Well, the release date is set for TBA 2009, so it's still got time in the oven. Here's hoping they fix up the animations by release.

Dashui on
    edited June 2008
    Dashui wrote: »
    Well, the release date is set for TBA 2009, so it's still got time in the oven. Here's hoping they fix up the animations by release.

It has been announced for August 2008 in Japan.
    http://ps3.ign.com/articles/879/879784p1.html

Couscous on
  • ze swift classze swift class Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So I finally had a look at he video, and honestly it didn't look all that impressive. The whole thing just felt "uncanny valley", especially the animation. The animation really throws off the whole thing, especially when they show the real-world footage part way through and you can see how unnatural the movement looks. Watching any of the animals run just looked stiff and unnatural, like it was animated all the way back in 2000.

I understand there's problems with trying to mimic animal behaviour without mo-cap, but it is possible, and it's very important for a game that's going to be all about observing animals.

That and I felt that they probably would've been better off with the Far Cry 2 or Cryengine 2 engines. I know, wasn't an option when they started development, but the scenery in those games looks far more natural than it does here.

So you're saying it would have been much much easier (and probably more interesting to more people) to redo pokemon snap because they are all fake.

ze swift class on
    edited June 2008

So you're saying it would have been much much easier (and probably more interesting to more people) to redo pokemon snap because they are all fake.

Uh... I don't actually recall saying anything about Pokemon snap. o_O

I did say the animation needs work.

subedii on
    edited June 2008
    titmouse wrote: »
    Dashui wrote: »

It has been announced for August 2008 in Japan.
    http://ps3.ign.com/articles/879/879784p1.html

No kidding? Damn, they're getting it a lot sooner than we are. I was just looking at the release date side bar on the Afrika page, and it still lists TBA for all regions. Hooray IGN for not updating their release dates.

Dashui on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Does it have a Thirty Lions vs One Elephant like in Planet Earth?

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    edited June 2008
    Cantido wrote: »

I was hoping more for a "thirty lions vs one overly inquisitive photo journalist".

subedii on
  • dachishdachish Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Cantido wrote: »

I was hoping more for a "thirty lions vs one overly inquisitive photo journalist".

Haha. I'd totally buy it for that.

Though I'm pretty interested as is. Seems pretty unique.

I liked the new trailer (I didn't see them mentioned, sorry if they already were).

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/34897.html - I especially like the cheetah in the tree and the night time shot (crazy, glowing eyes!)

dachish on
    My heart it ceases, my breath undrawn.
    Eyes forever focused, on the sanguine, metal dawn.
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    I guess this will play well with the same audience that bought Endless Ocean.

Which is not me.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • MJMJ Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Looks cool.
    It would add alot to of extra depth to me if you become any of the animals in Africa, you know, act out the species. But that would be too boring or complex for the casual audience this is probably going for.

Endless Ocean was pretty good but no so endless, and since this is PS3 there should be a larger area to explore rather than a few kilometers like in that so called "endless" ocean.

It would be also neat if there were some interactions you could do with the animals. Ride, feed, etc.
    I'm going to keep my eye on this.

MJ on
    mino_mirror_punch2_sig.gif
  • FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The animals look good but they seem out of place in the half-assed environment.

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
    edited June 2008
    The animals look good but they seem out of place in the half-assed environment.

I was thinking quite the opposite... the cheetah doesn't seem to touch the ground. I don't know if that's an environmental issue or a model issue, but it looks manufactured - and that's not something I would expect to see out of this game. It breaks the illusion for me.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • PjstelfordPjstelford Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I was somewhat hoping for Afrika: The RTS. Use your hippos to buffer their rhinoceros charge, while your cheetahs flank towards their rear, protected only by the elegant ostriches.

Pjstelford on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Pjstelford wrote: »
    I was somewhat hoping for Afrika: The RTS. Use your hippos to buffer their rhinoceros charge, while your cheetahs flank towards their rear, protected only by the elegant ostriches.

SPAWN MORE POACHERS!

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Pjstelford wrote: »

SPAWN MORE POACHERS!

YOU REQUIRE MORE BLOOD DIAMONDS!

Falx on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    heh

LewieP on
  • WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So, can this game basically be summed up as:

Sony presents; yet another game that has no gameplay, nobody understands and nobody will play, exclusive to the PS3!

:?: :winky:

WMain00 on