As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mercenaries 2: Alot of people are gonna die...

• yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Darmak wrote: »
    nonplussed wrote: »
    Renzo wrote: »
    Very important question that needs to be answered: Is there co-op?

Last I heard, there is online co-op.

Fuck. Yes.

Fuck online co-op. It's better than nothing, but what it really needs is some motherfucking split-screen co-op.

The way you say it seems like split screen co-op should be the norm. I'm guessing you have a roommate or sibling you share the system with.

Find a friend. And if you don't, I'll play with ya.

Split-screen co-op should be the norm, and I do have a roommate to play with along with several friends. I also have friends online I can play games with, I just prefer actually having someone come over and sit and play with me. (I'm not saying split-screen should be the only co-op, because any form of it is awesome, I'm just saying it should be put in more games because I enjoy it most)

Co-op in general should be in more games.

yalborap on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    yalborap wrote: »
    Renzo wrote: »
    Very important question that needs to be answered: Is there co-op?

Last I heard, there is online co-op.

Fuck. Yes.

Fuck online co-op. It's better than nothing, but what it really needs is some motherfucking split-screen co-op.

The way you say it seems like split screen co-op should be the norm. I'm guessing you have a roommate or sibling you share the system with.

Split-screen co-op should be the norm, and I do have a roommate to play with along with several friends. I also have friends online I can play games with, I just prefer actually having someone come over and sit and play with me. (I'm not saying split-screen should be the only co-op, because any form of it is awesome, I'm just saying it should be put in more games because I enjoy it most)

Co-op in general should be in more games.

Word. The most fun I've ever had playing video games was playing games co-op.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The most fun I've ever had playing video games was playing games co-op.

This is why EDF2017 is so grand.

Haven't got my hands on the original Mercs yet but its on the back catalogue to play eventually. My bro has said many a good thing about it :)

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    God, I absolutely love the new trailer. It just screams "Buy me, I'm badass" in so many languages.

I really do hope that the populate the world more though. The only problem with the original mercs is that it is a little barren.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    There never was a Wii version planned.

Mercs 1 is on the small list of open world games I really like.

Incredibly baddass, really good atmosphere, and ace soundtrack (and Chris Tilton is back at the helm for the sequel), mostly spot on control.

All I hope for in the sequel is tightened controls, less constant respawning of enemies, and extra pretties and I am happy.

LewieP on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Oh man I forgot all about this when it was delayed!

Mercs 1 was so much fun. I loved playing as Indiana Jones.

I look forward to this very much.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
    edited June 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    There never was a Wii version planned.

Mercs 1 is on the small list of open world games I really like.

Incredibly baddass, really good atmosphere, and ace soundtrack (and Chris Tilton is back at the helm for the sequel), mostly spot on control.

All I hope for in the sequel is tightened controls, less constant respawning of enemies, and extra pretties and I am happy.

Just destroy the bunkers.

No more respawning once it's destroyed!

Also, the soundtrack is alright, I suppose, but it really doesn't fit. For me at least.

Antihippy on
    edited June 2008
    Hm, I love the soundtrack because it is so bleak. It really felt like I was in the middle of a warzone.

And some of the bunkers weren't destructible.

LewieP on
    edited June 2008
    Hm, I love the soundtrack because it is so bleak. It really felt like I was in the middle of a warzone.

Yeah, it fits most of the landscapes, but more work could be done to use it to make the firefights more frantic.

I don't know, really. I just don't quite like it.
    And some of the bunkers weren't destructible.

Really? Every bunker I've comed across has been bunker-buster'd.

Antihippy on
    edited June 2008
    I might have avoided using the bunker busters unless I needed to, they felt like 'cheating', so it could have been me.

LewieP on
    edited June 2008
    I might have avoided using the bunker busters unless I needed to, they felt like 'cheating', so it could have been me.

Wasn't this the whole point of the bunker busters? Some bunkers were just too tough and fortified to do anything but nuke it from orbit.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm okay with a bit of cheating when it comes with a $280,000 price tag. D:

LeumasWhite on
    QPPHj1J.jpg
    edited June 2008

Yeah, I think I just just crazy frugal with stuff, I'm the same with collecting ammo.

Unless I think it is absolutely essential, I hardly use stuff like that, maybe every now and again just to treat myself.

LewieP on
    edited June 2008

Yeah, I think I just just crazy frugal with stuff, I'm the same with collecting ammo.

Unless I think it is absolutely essential, I hardly use stuff like that, maybe every now and again just to treat myself.

Well theres your problem. :P

Mercenaries is not a game about being frugal. It got to the point where I was calling in fuel air bombs on random patrols just because I could and I wanted to see the explosion. Also the A-10 barrage cause I loved seeing that thing fly around.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Mercenaries is not a game about being frugal. It got to the point where I was calling in fuel air bombs on random patrols just because I could and I wanted to see the explosion. Also the A-10 barrage cause I loved seeing that thing fly around.

I mainly saved my funds for vehicles and ammo, though I used bombs when necessary.

I still loved this one moment I had in the game, though; the first Ace, where you get to try out the bunker buster. After I captured him, some 'copters showed up to wreck my day.

So, I casually called the Russian mafia, got an AA rawket lawnchair delivered to me, yanked it out of its box, and amidst enemy fire from said 'copters, sent them hurtling to the ground in a ball of firey death and decay.

Then I got my target and myself the hell out of there. It was EPIC, like something out of a movie.

yalborap on
    edited June 2008
    yalborap wrote: »

I mainly saved my funds for vehicles and ammo, though I used bombs when necessary.

I still loved this one moment I had in the game, though; the first Ace, where you get to try out the bunker buster. After I captured him, some 'copters showed up to wreck my day.

So, I casually called the Russian mafia, got an AA rawket lawnchair delivered to me, yanked it out of its box, and amidst enemy fire from said 'copters, sent them hurtling to the ground in a ball of firey death and decay.

Then I got my target and myself the hell out of there. It was EPIC, like something out of a movie.

Man, I just ran around like an idiot trying to capture those choppers.

I hate seeing awesome choppers go to waste aka not wasting everyone around me.

Then I realised that you can't hijack them. :(

Plus, I didn't have AA luanchers then.

Antihippy on
  • ErrorError Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You could hijack the Hind in that mission. The only helos you couldnt jack were the Allied Apaches. And they could be obtained....

Error on
  • WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    You could also hijack the Mafia helis as they came in to drop off your supplies. Really, its the most economical thing to do.

Witchsight on
    Witchsight.png
  • Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So can anyone confirm that this has online co-op?

Cause if it does then it's a day 1 purchase for me and my mates.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Oh, fuck, I just realised what I'm gonna be playing to Mercs 2 (just ingore the video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLsOPZNpFzg

I can't think of a better song to to be nuking 'stuff to :D

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Oh, fuck, I just realised what I'm gonna be playing to Mercs 2 (just ingore the video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLsOPZNpFzg

I can't think of a better song to to be nuking 'stuff to :D

I can.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    I am so in for this. It won't be as complex as GTAIV, but neither was Mercs 1 and it was still totally awesome. Been waiting so long for a sequel that I half suspected would never come, totally psyched that it finally is coming...woo! Blow stuff up, blow stuff up, blow stuff up. Actually, i think that's what makes it as good as GTA - you can pretty much just go on a rampage of destruction and totally get away with it whereas in GTA it's typically only a matter of time before you get gunned down once you hit six stars. Plus, GTA doesn't have air strikes. Why doesn't GTA have air strikes? Seriously? Why doesn't every game have airs trikes?

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Oh shit this game is coming soon!
    It fell off my radar after it got pushed back. Hot damn, I can't wait for this.
    Online multi will be the hottest shit.

Local H Jay on
  • Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I was doing the first Ace mission where you blow up the huge structure (Song tower?) and the card runs to the military base after the bomb hits. I actually felt sorry for the guy, I know I'd be fucking terrified if was running from someone who was chasing and slowly catching up to me in a god-damned tank. I hopped out, headbutted him and called in a chopper. I ended up running around my tank with the card heaved over my shoulder saying 'shitshitshitshitshit!' as a truck was determined to run me over while the chopper sat there firing at it for me until it exploded.

People need to share more war stories in here. Card capturing can lead to many tales of epicness.

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I should preorder this.

Fuel air bomb + 720p = social death.

Edit: Co-op? Really? Awesome.

Torso Boy on
  • PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I was doing the first Ace mission where you blow up the huge structure (Song tower?) and the card runs to the military base after the bomb hits. I actually felt sorry for the guy, I know I'd be fucking terrified if was running from someone who was chasing and slowly catching up to me in a god-damned tank. I hopped out, headbutted him and called in a chopper. I ended up running around my tank with the card heaved over my shoulder saying 'shitshitshitshitshit!' as a truck was determined to run me over while the chopper sat there firing at it for me until it exploded.

People need to share more war stories in here. Card capturing can lead to many tales of epicness.

Can't think of any card capturing stories off the top of my head, but one of the most awesome sights in the game is two factions duking it out. In this case, it's the South Koreans and the Chinese in the second area. The Koreans were all the special female commandos, and the Chinese were hitting them hard with tanks and infantry. The Koreans held their ground, though, and I look up and see a Korean attack helicopter come in and start cleaning up. It was just an awesome battle to watch.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So I know there's coop. The question for me is: since there are three characters, is there also 3-player co-op?

Either way, Co-Op is awesome, but the difference between two-player co-op and three-player co-op is literally the difference between a friend riding shotgun in my humvee and a friend riding shotgun in my humvee while another friend provides overwatch in an attack helicopter.

SammyF on
    edited June 2008
    SammyF wrote: »
    So I know there's coop. The question for me is: since there are three characters, is there also 3-player co-op?

Either way, Co-Op is awesome, but the difference between two-player co-op and three-player co-op is literally the difference between a friend riding shotgun in my humvee and a friend riding shotgun in my humvee while another friend provides overwatch in an attack helicopter.

So would that be Tri-Op instead of Co-Op?

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Only if Halo 3 is Quad-Op. And it isn't, because that would be retarded. :)

added: +5 for whomever can correctly identify the proper prefix for the sixteen-player coop maps in GRAW.

SammyF on
    edited June 2008

Only if Halo 3 is Quad-Op. And it isn't, because that would be retarded. :)

added: +5 for whomever can correctly identify the proper prefix for the sixteen-player coop maps in GRAW.

I dont think theres a Latin prefix for 16.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The explosions don't look as pretty.

Mercenaries 1 had pretty, pretty explosions.

I want my pretty explosions back :(

SilkyNumNuts on
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Antihippy wrote: »
    Really? Every bunker I've comed across has been bunker-buster'd.

:winky:

:winky:

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    First day purchase confirmed. So awesome.

Sagroth on
    3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Man I am excited for this game.

I wonder if Mercs 1 is on the BC list for the 360....

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • KupotheAvengerKupotheAvenger Destroyer of Cake and other deserts.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

I remember consistently and accidently killing every damn card in my first playthrough. And I mean I was literally trying to capture them every single time but SOMETHING had to happen and they get waxed. I believe it was the 10 of spades at an old temple that was the most hilarious. I accidently stumbled on that particular card and had a fuckload of angry chinese soldiers on my tail in a vehicle. Well I drive into the zone and the freakin Target runs down the steps. I hop out and turn to blow up the pursuit truck so it doesn't accidently hit him. I fire the rocket and it goes stray, nails the goddamn truck in the front drivers side wheel and the freaking thing explodes into a terrific fireball and flies over my head...

...and onto the goddamn card. fucking cursed. My second playthrough only had 3 casualties, but the horrors of playing it the first time made me love the game. Oh and also..

Man, I don't even play Mattias when I play Mercenaries.

<3 Jennifer Mui. Sneaking around as a cool ridiculously hot Asian British spy chick with the dragunov ftw.

if that accent were a weapon, consider me dead.

KupotheAvenger on
    fc: 1821-9801-1163
    Battlenet: Judgement#1243
    psn: KupoZero

• TarpoTarpo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I briefly forget sometimes how awesome Mercs is.. Then I get a bug up my ass and end up playing it for a week straight.. Looks like I have to start over again now since I game my Xbox to my GFs dad and picked up a 360. Man I can't wait for this sequel.

Tarpo on
  • TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

<3 Jennifer Mui. Sneaking around as a cool ridiculously hot Asian British spy chick with the dragunov ftw.

I like that gal at ExOps' voice, too. Between the two of them and that orchestral score, this game is ear candy.

Tiemler on
    edited June 2008
    Tiemler wrote: »

I like that gal at ExOps' voice, too. Between the two of them and that orchestral score, this game is ear candy.

Speaking of that the first time I learned of the Han Solo code I was playing as her. And naturally I'm like "Woah totally bad ass I get to play as Han Solo!" so I punch the code in and start running around only to realize "Uhh the voice is the same... D:D:D:"

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • 043043 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So my game keeps freezing, right after the first mission for the Chinese (with the APC and the captured Children's Museum, "Pest Control").

At first, I thought it was when I passed a certain point during the mission, but I finished it, saved, and then bam, I ordered some supplies and locked up. The disc is perfectly fine, but I'm playing it on a 360; is there some bug in the emulation, or should I try and get another copy.

I bought it used, but I might be able to get another copy if I talk real sweet to the folks at Hastings. :( I love it, so far, too.

043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2008
    It's probably the backwards compatability that's screwed.

See if you can get a used OXbox if you really want to play it.

Antihippy on