As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Quick Resume Questions

Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
edited June 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Having recently graduated, I'm in the process of updating my resume to reflect my last year of study.

What's a good way to specify the fact that I graduated in May? My previous iteration has a line under "Bachelor of Science in Computer Science" that states "Expected date of graduation: May 08" and I'm not sure if I keep that on a separate line or work it into the previous lines.

Also, is it cool for the thing to spill out onto a second page? I'm having a damn hard time summing up my internship experiences and last projects but don't want to remove references to previous meaningful projects.

Big Dookie wrote: »
I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
Steel Angel on

• ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Will it really matter when you graduated?
    One page only, as you'll be lucky for anyone to read past the first few lines. Two pages are fine if it's a high level job that requires alot.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I tend to list a range of time. So mine is like:
    1998-2002      University of Awesome      Awesomeville, NY
    BS in Awesomeness
    * bullet points about the awesome things I did in school.

But that's just me. I tend to list all of my sections in a similar format, so my jobs are listed the same way with the year, company, location, and bullet points with relevant information about the job.

Daenris on
  • MisterAlexMisterAlex Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm in Canada, but the workshops I went to prior to graduating University (also this semester) all said that 2 pages are usually fine; just make sure to adapt the objective to whatever the job is. I think the 'when' you graduated does matter, as it attests that your skills are up-to-date, as would be expected with recent graduates - that's at least one good asset us new-to-the-workplace folks have.

MisterAlex on
  • supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    What's a good way to specify the fact that I graduated in May?

Also, is it cool for the thing to spill out onto a second page?

Don’t list the month you graduated at all, list the years you attended and the degree(s) awarded.

Don’t go over one page. Your internships weren’t that awesome, and you need to start editing the descriptions down, because even if you were doing a lot more than keeping the coffee pot clean and answering the phone, most people are still going to think you’re embellishing. And if you really did intern somewhere amazing, the name will be more important than the details. If you’re coming out of undergrad there’s little reason for your resume to go over one page unless you’re a prodigy of some sort. Focus on having one really, really well-written page rather than fluffing things up.

supabeast on