As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's Play : Secret of Mana - Episode 15 : Over 30GB Served this month!

• Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Episode 13 is up :
    I'm back, fo realz

Please right click -> save as!

Man now that video embeds, I really need to clean up the OP.

Doc Holliday on
    PSN & Live: buckwilson
  • FreakleFreakle Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Great stuff! Glad to see you back doc.

Freakle on
  • gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Just watched the episode. It's great to have you back!

I'd offer sage (ha!) advice, but I never completed SoM, and you're farther than I got, so...

gilrain on
    edited May 2008
    Haha, it's great to be back. I was a bit tired during this last one so I got mentally lost a few times as to what I was talking about. Next time I'll chug some caffeine and get all wired. Next episode should be up Sunday. I'll go for 2 -3 a week , Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday.

Doc Holliday on
  • JellySalmonJellySalmon Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    YESSSSS.

Tip #1: There's a way to get a different map screen that is more like a traditional flap map rather than the globe one that is so useless.

After going to the map try pushing different buttons, L or R maybe? I forgot what activates it. It loads a bit slow, but it is muuuch more useful than the globe map.

Tip #2: For the Lofty Mountains, have Ivy Bracers (or whatever the accessory is in the mountain town). It will make you immune to sleep flower, which is really annoying when trying to get up the mountain.

Tip #3: Luna's magic is so sick. Moon Energy is amazing. It boosts your crit rate like crazy so you'll be whacking fools left and right. It wears off kinda quick at low levels, so just cast it on Doc. Mp drain doesn't work on those Metroids because they're Lunar monsters or whatever. Just like how fire magic is useless on fire monsters. Don't count it out just yet! Lunar Magic does some random effects, but I never really figured out what they all were. But it definitely doesn't just conuse you every time.

JellySalmon on
    What do you say we take a relaxed attitude towards work and watch the baseball game? The nye Mets are my favorite squadron.
  • Vangu VegroVangu Vegro Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Good to have you back.

You may already know this, and now that you have MP Absorb it's not as important anymore, but since I see you running out of MP a lot, it could be a good idea to cast Analyzer on a boss or enemy rather than just experimenting with Popo's spells until you find its weakness.

Vangu Vegro on
    In my PC: Ryzom, Diablo III, Naruto Shippuden UNSR, The Old Republic
    In my 3DS: Super Smash Bros, AC New Leaf
    Last game completed: Steamworld Dig
  • SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Oh. That's right. I never posted in here before.

Er...keep up the good work.

Schide on
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, Moon Energy + appropriate Saber spell = Doc kicking more ass.

I usually stay away from a few spells when I play; stuff like the 8 mp Dark spell (too overpriced), Lunar Boost (raises some stats but absolutely kills others, but the only one I never use is Lunar Magic. It's 8 mp for an effect that hits the whole screen, meaning you can boost your enemies if you're not careful.

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
    edited June 2008
    Awesome everyone. Thanks for the tips. I'll work on playing more strategically now with all of the spells-- I really had no idea what they did, and I forgot about analyzer. I'll also go buy some ivy bracers-- good thinking.

I'll be recording another episode today, so I'll put everyone's tips to good use, for sure.

Doc Holliday on
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Whenever you fly on Flemmie, you can press Start or Select and it'll give you an overworld map.

EDIT: Or is it L or R? :|

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • CraigopogoCraigopogo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The MP absorb spell you just got is one of the most important spells the Sprite has, so make sure you level it up. A lot, if not most, enemies have MP, so you'll never run out with the Sprite anymore.

Craigopogo on
    edited June 2008
    Sorry guys, instead of recording a let's play I went drinking. I'll record one tomorrow.

Doc Holliday on
    edited June 2008
    It's just like old times! ;P

gilrain on
    edited June 2008
    OP cleaned up. Encoding / uploading episode 14 now. Should be up in the wee hours of the morning.

Doc Holliday on
  • TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    OP cleaned up. Encoding / uploading episode 14 now. Should be up in the wee hours of the morning.

please tell me you did it drunk

Trus on
    qFN53.png
    edited June 2008
    Trus wrote: »

please tell me you did it drunk

Not this time but that sounds like a pretty good idea to me. To further involve you, my wonderful viewers, you could pick the alcohol and the shot conditions. And you can drink when I drink-- good times all around.

The more I think of it the more I like this idea.

Episode 14 is up : http://www.keepthewebweird.com/somlp/somep14.mov

You know the drill, right click -> save as.

Doc Holliday on
    edited June 2008
    I am currently inebriated on high-end scotch, and suggest the same of you. In particular, Islay scotch, such as Laphroaig, Lagavulin, or Ardbeg. Alternatively, whatever-the-heck you want. :P

I'll match you drink for drink, whatever you choose. I am better stocked than any bar. :P

(No, really.)

gilrain on
  • Vangu VegroVangu Vegro Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Heh, it figures: The first boss you get to use Analyzer on is one it's useless on (as far as weakness goes).
    But anyway, if you're having trouble with enemies that use Wall or Lucid Barrier, I think Dispel Magic (Shade) might help remove them.

Vangu Vegro on
    In my PC: Ryzom, Diablo III, Naruto Shippuden UNSR, The Old Republic
    In my 3DS: Super Smash Bros, AC New Leaf
    Last game completed: Steamworld Dig
  • Pixel BluePixel Blue Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    -

Pixel Blue on
    edited June 2008
    Now that you have Moon Saber I'd suggest using it, on bosses at least. It makes it so you get healed when you hit enemies, which can really help with longer fights. Once you have it leveled up it can almost replace Cure Water (though not quite, sometimes you need to heal *right now*).

Craigopogo on
    edited June 2008
    Craigopogo wrote: »
    Now that you have Moon Saber I'd suggest using it, on bosses at least. It makes it so you get healed when you hit enemies, which can really help with longer fights. Once you have it leveled up it can almost replace Cure Water (though not quite, sometimes you need to heal *right now*).

Oh really? Awesome. I need to look at my magic info screen and learn all of this junk. Thanks for the tip.

Doc Holliday on
    edited June 2008
    Oh man. Watching you fight Sheex is like watching a Greek tragedy. Dramatic Irony at its finest. When you were like "f it, i'm going to nuke him" i was like "noooooooooooo, he's got wall up!"

Wall, if you didn't realize, reflects your magic. Lucid Barrier diminishes effectiveness of physical attacks.

Now that you have Dryad, use dispel magic to get rid of these.

But don't feel bad. He's one of the hardest bosses in the game. Weird hitboxes, constant spelling, magic immune. Tough stuff.

JellySalmon on
    What do you say we take a relaxed attitude towards work and watch the baseball game? The nye Mets are my favorite squadron.
    edited June 2008
    Dispel Magic is actually in Shade, not Dryad (I think), but yeah, that's one of the worst fights in the game.

Craigopogo on
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, that was a very satisfying and surprising "way to go!"

Also, I got mentioned. :^:

gilrain on
    edited June 2008
    Yeah man, watching that boss battle is painful. I'm really not that bad at this game, it's just I lose concentration when I'm recording an LP for whatever reason. But yeah, learning that Wall == Reflect is a big help. Also it's nice to know there's a Dispel.

Coming up next episode-- hopefully I kick ass (instead of suck ass). Then I might do a drunken episode; that sounds pretty appealing.

Doc Holliday on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Good advice for Secret of Mana in general: if you don't know the weakness, try Earth Slide. It's strong against a ridiculous proportion of the bosses, including Sheex's Aegri-whatever form.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    edited June 2008
    I've got a fever. And the only prescription is more SoM!

gilrain on
    edited June 2008
    Must be contagious. I too have a fever for some SoMLP. Heal our pain Doc.

JellySalmon on
    edited June 2008
    I dunno, when people missed Simben, he got horrendous pictures-- so I'd better post soon.

I just finished recording it. Now onto encoding + uploading. Uploading takes so long :(

Personally, I think it's a pretty good one. I totally worked the crowd, you know?

Doc Holliday on
    edited June 2008
    Episode 15 is up.

Right click -> save as.

No name or picture yet, I'll do that later :P

Doc Holliday on
    edited June 2008
    Yay, awesome. I'll watch this over lunch.

gilrain on
    edited June 2008
    So according to my stats, 60 people downloaded my last LP, but there are, like, 3 people active in this thread.

Doc Holliday on
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Maybe they all downloaded it, like, 20 times?

ASimPerson on
    edited June 2008
    So, just finished watching. The they-get-healed-and-you-take-damage effect you were seeing... I have a theory. I don't know anything about SoM, but based on RPGs in general, I wonder if it's because you're using a vampire effect on undead creatures, thus reversing the effect, so to speak.

I wish I was going to PAX. Then I could be all like, "Dude! Heal Popo already!" in person. :)

gilrain on
    edited June 2008
    Those metal crawler guys are the most annoying enemies in the game. The Grand Palace in general is probably the most irritating part of the game. Even the Mana Fortress isn't that bad. Everything is uphill now.

Oh, and don't forget that the griffin feet guys in the Pure Land drop the best helm for the boy, and you can't go back after you finish. Luckily there are like 6 in the first two screens, so you can level up magic, earn money, and eventually get a Griffin Helm just going back and forth between the screens.

Craigopogo on
    edited June 2008
    They're obviously just shy. Come out fools!

Oh man. You upgraded 2 levels on the spear and so i think you missed Oceanid spear which makes people fall asleep on hit.

Use the Imp's Fork! Balloning enemies is not only effective, but strangely satisfying.

Oh shit. Should have warned you. Using Moon saber doesn't work against dark/undead enemies. Like those ninjas

JellySalmon on
  • RolloutRollout Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Some people just want to see Doc suffers at least a bit at bosses, therefore they have been avoiding to post anything while following the LP as they might unintentionally hint at a future threat.

For that I saw moments coming like the Effishes or that Vampire boss or the Snake boss and just held myself from posting to see how he will handle them. 8-)

Go Doc! :whistle:

Rollout on
    edited June 2008
    Haha I'm glad my pain entertains you all.

Jelly - I was totally using the Imp's fork and it totally wasn't ballooning anything. Stupid fork.

Doc Holliday on
  • GreenishGreenish Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    If I can remember correctly, the Imp's Fork is a Jav.

As for the question about dispeling.. To get bad statuses off of you, use Undine's Remedy (This works with most of the bad statuses.. Snowman, Engulf, Entangled, ect.) To get good statuses off of the enemy (Wall, Lucid Barrier especially), use Shade's Dispel. Dispel gets real handy real soon.

Oh and if you're having trouble lining up your charged attacks, hold L or R (L&R?) down while you charge and you'll always face the same direction.

Greenish on
    edited June 2008
    Yea, you were using the spear, not the javelin, gigas lance I think.

JellySalmon on