As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Questions, Discussion and Tutorials

• MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I half hate myself for even having to ask this, but how do you set the background in photoshop? I need it to be black. I am used to just grabbing the paint bucket and doing the whole thing that way, however, I am trying to do a design and that way just won't cut it.

I guess this depends on what's on the canvas and how you organized things on your layers. Why don't you post an image? Did you separate things on layers or are they flat?

MagicToaster on
  • supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Mayday wrote: »
    How do I make an swf that has a transparent background? And I don't mean in a browser, I mean EVERYWHERE.

Do you mean transparent in a standalone Flash player? Because I’m pretty sure that any standalone app has some background.

supabeast on
  • XALXAL Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    i'm going to fucking cry

i was working on a digipaint project for my compimaging class in CS2 on my computer and i had been saving and i SAW THE FILE ON MY DESKTOP. and opened it and worked on it again and saved it. so i know it was saved and readable and whatnot.

and now the fucking file fucking vanished off of my goddamn computer. like it was never even there. i'm pretty sure the last time I used CS2 it crashed, but that wouldn't delete the whole thing off the computer. what the fuck happened I just lost 1/2 of my project that's due tomorrow.

XAL on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Run a search of your C: drive and check your recycle bin.....but you should probably prepare yourself for tears.

That mini cintiq looks awesome....I was thinking of upgrading my graphire 4 to an intuos 3 soon, but I might have to put some more away for one of these.
    EDIT: Then again, new tech is always too pricey and too prone to failure and performance issues.
    EDIT2: Never let it be said I'm not one for impulse, I just upgraded to an Intuos minutes ago, hope it's worth it.

Mustang on
  • The EarlThe Earl Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    XAL - I actually went back to using Photoshop 7 because of all the problems I was experiencing with CS/CS2. I currently work with CS3, which is working really well for me. So if you have the option to upgrade, I'd do so.

Earlier in the thread, you asked about a book on digital painting...I bought this one a while back, Digital Character Design it's for both Painter and Photoshop. It's pretty much a step one.

The Earl on
    | Flickr | Steam | KROQ | Game Center The_Earl
  • zeenkozeenko Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So I just got a neato wacom graphire4 and I'm getting this problem where the pen starts drawing before it even hits the tablet. Is there any way to fix this?

zeenko on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2008
    install an updated driver, that usually fixes all my tablet issues.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited June 2008
    Not to impune on your purchase zeenko.... but going from an A6 graphire to an A5 Intuos (see above post) is quite possibly the best $350 AUD i've spent in a long time. Being able to draw without being zoomed to the hilt makes getting dimensions right and clean lines so much easier.

Mustang on
  • ThylacineThylacine Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    zeenko wrote: »
    So I just got a neato wacom graphire4 and I'm getting this problem where the pen starts drawing before it even hits the tablet. Is there any way to fix this?

Like was recommended above, first update your drivers. If it still keeps doing that it's possible you might have a defective/broken pen. I stepped on mine for my graphire once and it wouldn't stop right clicking constantly when I was just holding it over the pad.

Wacom had excellent customer service when I called, so if you still have problems I would recommend calling...or perhaps e-mail.

Thylacine on
  • zeenkozeenko Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Thanks for the responses guys. I installed the updated drivers, but it's still acting up, yarg. Ah well no biggie, I got it for dirt cheap so I'm not too angry about it. As soon as I get some extra cash flow, I'll definitely keep the A5 Intuos in mind when I go tablet shopping again :)

zeenko on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    zeenko wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses guys. I installed the updated drivers, but it's still acting up, yarg. Ah well no biggie, I got it for dirt cheap so I'm not too angry about it. As soon as I get some extra cash flow, I'll definitely keep the A5 Intuos in mind when I go tablet shopping again :)

How do you hold the pen? Are any of your fingers very close to the nib? Sometimes I (intentionally) put my finger a little lower and press the pen up against that - it never touches the tablet, but for some reason it's more (comfortable? fun? I have no idea). I just do it sometimes, haha. Maybe you're doing this without realizing it? I would also wonder if the spring inside the pen is getting jammed at all - try pulling the nib out with a nail clipper (lightly), and replacing it gently. However, this problem usually only occurred in my old Wacom (GRAPHIRE 1! ANCIENT!) when I had already pressed the nib down, and the nib would jam, or get stuck, for just a little longer after lifting the pen off the tablet...which lead to many aggravations! Always making a longer line than I intended.

Try those out though, hopefully it helps somehow.

NightDragon on
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I have a bit of a technical question. I have a Fujitsu Lifebook T2010 and I just bought Painter X. Latest version of Windows XP (Up to SP3), and I've updated Painter X to the latest one on the site.

[strike]For some reason though, it simply refuses to acknowledge the pressure sensitivity on my tablet's pen. When I go into brush tracking, the velocity settings move, but the pressure sensitivity is ignored. Sketchbook 2009 is installed on this as well, and it handles pressure sensitivity just fine. If anybody has a tablet laptop and painter x, have you encountered this problem?

Edit: Checked for newer pen drivers, there are none.[/strike]

I installed the drivers for my Graphire onto the Lifebook and it appears to work just fine now on both apps. Go figure.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Red_ArremerRed_Arremer Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Ok, so I really want to try to paint more. I've painted with shitty acrylics in art class, and some not too great watercolor, and I really want to try oil. What are some cheap oil paints? What surface should I paint on to?

Red_Arremer on
    edited June 2008
    Ok, so I really want to try to paint more. I've painted with shitty acrylics in art class, and some not too great watercolor, and I really want to try oil. What are some cheap oil paints? What surface should I paint on to?

Don’t try to learn with cheap paints. The consistency will be terrible and they’ll have a high degree of transparency, which makes them a PITA to work with. You’ll end up spending just as much because you’ll waste so much trying to get colors right.

As for surfaces, if you like canvas, just order Dick Blick’s generic canvas boards, you can get bulk discounts if you buy entire boxes. If you want a smooth surface buy sheets of 1/8" masonite, cut it down to a size you like (unless you have a big truck just pay the store to do it), and then hit it with a few layers of gesso, sanding smooth between layers.

supabeast on
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Davinci is relatively cheap paint and it doesnt suck at all. I suggest buying materials online at misterart.com or something.

As for surfaces, what I use is insanely cheap and pretty easy to make. You go to home depot and buy a 4'x2', 1/4" thick fiberboard (all home depots carry it, just ask someone and they should be able to help you...its a very strong hardboard that wont warp until you start using it in very large sizes and it is only like 4 bucks), have them cut this to whatever sizes you want. I usually have them cut it into 24 6x8" boards (I paint small to improve dexterity and not waste paint). Then you get one of those grey spong brush things that people use in the corners when they paint a room in their house and you put two coats of liquitex basics acrylic gesso on the boards. By the time you get to the last board the first coast should be finished on the first board so just start the second right away. Let it setup for 6 hours and you have 24 awesome little panels to paint on. I dont sand it afterward because I like to keep some texture since I am not working on canvas.

After all is said and done each panel will probably cost you between 25 and 50 cents. And when you paint something that sucks just scrub it afterward and reuse the board instead of keeping it. That way the boards will last you even longer. Keep milestone paintings though, things you are particularly proud of at the time. So you have something to look back on.

*Edit* Well it seems my advice couldn't have been much more similar to Supabeast's but anyways that speaks all the more in support of not using really cheap paint and for working on gessoed boards.

rts on
    edited June 2008
    Damn, thanks guys. Lots of great info. This will definitely make me sound like an idiot, but what is gesso? Oh, and is Winsor and Newton paint pretty good?

Red_Arremer on
    edited June 2008
    Damn, thanks guys. Lots of great info. This will definitely make me sound like an idiot, but what is gesso? Oh, and is Winsor and Newton paint pretty good?

Gesso is an acrylic primer used to prepare surfaces for painting. Get big tubs of store brand stuff and just smear it on thick.

Windsor and Newton’s watercolors are great, I don’t know if I’ve ever even seen someone use the oils. Anyway, even if they’re bad they probably won’t be as bad as Lowell-Cornell or some of the really spotty store brands.

supabeast on
    edited June 2008
    Windsor and Newton Oils is what I use mostly. Just make sure it is Windsor and Newton and not Winton. Winton is student grade Windsor and Newton and it blows balls. Even for students. Worst paint ever.

rts on
    edited June 2008
    Ah, thanks. I should be able to get some W and N at the Michaels closest to me.

Red_Arremer on
  • NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    HTML/CSS question:

How do I center my WHOLE Web page?

MagicToaster, do you know?

NibCrom on
  • Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Hey.

So, I want to learn to draw. More specifically, I'd really like to be able to get up to the level of concept art and character design, and stuff. I've been on-and-off teaching myself for about six months (with help from Nikolaides and Loomis) but progress has been slow, and as a result, I've decided I'm going to work at it every single day, even if it's just a couple of doodles, or a little still-life. I'm unemployed right now, so I should make the most of that.

I guess what I'm asking here is - if I made a Rankenphile-style draw every day thread, would that be alright? And would that be particularly helpful? I've always been shy about my work because it's sucked, but eh, it's time for some critique and hard-goddamn-practice.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2008
    'tis better to ask forgiveness then permission

once you get a month of dailies under your belt, post em up. Get a workbook, like the Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain one, and follow it. Practice practice practice. And once you've gotten a month's worth of drawings, and you can start seeing the progress, post em. I don't see why anyone would object at all to such a thing.

Now, if you just did three sketches and tossed em up and planned on getting more daily, I'd expect a lock, most likely, as threads like that tend to end up forgotten once a video game or something comes out or people realize it's a giant pain in the ass to do dailies. But once you've got the dedication down and can show you're at it for real, yeah man, you'd have my full support at least.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited June 2008
    NibCrom wrote: »
    HTML/CSS question:

How do I center my WHOLE Web page?

MagicToaster, do you know?
    easiest way I've found is to set it all in a fixed-width div and set the margin-left and margin-right properties to auto.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited June 2008
    'tis better to ask forgiveness then permission.

That's bad advice for this forum. That'll generally get you an infraction pretty quickly if you fuck up.

However, in this case, he should go ahead and make his thread.

Grifter on
    edited June 2008
    Grifter wrote: »
    'tis better to ask forgiveness then permission.

That's bad advice for this forum. That'll generally get you an infraction pretty quickly if you fuck up.

However, in this case, he should go ahead and make his thread.
    that was very much tongue-in-cheek, don't worry

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited June 2008
    If you want to be a professional artist of almost any kind, a couple of doodles everday isn't going to get you there. You should be working 8 hours a day minimum to reach that goal (if you have the time...which it sounds like you do).

In any case drawing well takes dedication, so stick with your drawing program whatever it is. And really take the advice given on this forum, there is a lot of good information flying around.

rts on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    cakemikz wrote: »
    If you want to be a professional artist of almost any kind, a couple of doodles everday isn't going to get you there. You should be working 8 hours a day minimum to reach that goal (if you have the time...which it sounds like you do).

In any case drawing well takes dedication, so stick with your drawing program whatever it is. And really take the advice given on this forum, there is a lot of good information flying around.

Cripes, I don't know about 8 hours, minimum...who has that time? I would say you have to draw quite a bit, especially if you're a beginner, but I think saying "8 hours a day" is probably more discouraging than encouraging. Not everybody has the time to abide by an Atelier regimen, cake. I mean, if you can handle 8 hours? Go for it! But jesus I think I maybe draw for 8 hours a day once in a blue moon.

I agree that a few doodles a day isn't going to do anything...but try drawing as much as you possibly can, and keep almost all of your work as real-life studies. Drawing from your head will not really teach you what you need to be learning, at this point. Cakemikz, by the way, is an excellent life-drawer...you should check out his thread, maybe learn a few things. :)

NightDragon on
    edited June 2008
    I said if you have the time! And he said he was unemployed!

But yeah, 8 hours is a lot. I don't really draw 8 hours a day...but I also am not a professional. Are these two things linked? Probably. I am trying to get better and better about my work ethic though and I am working my way up to 8 hours a day.

Thanks for the compliment though!

rts on
    edited June 2008
    Thanks Rankenphile!

NibCrom on
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, maybe 8 hours is a bit too much.

MagicToaster on
  • Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    once you get a month of dailies under your belt, post em up. Get a workbook, like the Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain one, and follow it. Practice practice practice. And once you've gotten a month's worth of drawings, and you can start seeing the progress, post em. I don't see why anyone would object at all to such a thing.

Coo'. I'll just push on ahead for now and see where that takes me, then. Hopefully I'll amass some decent stuff along the way which I can put up for critique.

Don't worry, I'm with you. When I say a couple quick studies or whatnot, I mean at the very least, day-in, day-out, weekends included. I'm very keen to go full-tilt at it as the main activity every day, I'm just... well, only just getting started, and not totally sure how to structure my work.

Also I love your stuff. It's doubly heart-wrenching for me because value in particular is my weak spot.
    I agree that a few doodles a day isn't going to do anything...but try drawing as much as you possibly can, and keep almost all of your work as real-life studies. Drawing from your head will not really teach you what you need to be learning, at this point. Cakemikz, by the way, is an excellent life-drawer...you should check out his thread, maybe learn a few things. :)

Thanks for this, this is good stuff. As I said above, I'm having trouble structuring my work. I've got The Natural Way To Draw, which I've been working with recently and I like it a lot, but it's often quite focused on figure drawing (admittedly in a nebulous sort of way) and there's no way for me to get access to a live figure class here for the next few months.

So what kind of life drawing should I be gunning for? What makes a good, cheap subject, other than photographic material? I feel like this is kind of a stupid question with an obvious answer, but if there's anywhere you feel would be good for life-drawing, or a kind of subject which is especially useful for value and proportion, that's totally where I should be going.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Yeah, maybe 8 hours is a bit too much.

Not entirely. 5-8 hours is what I used to do and I progressed steadily. I can't get half that now and I haven't gone anywhere for too long.

I guess it depends on the person.

But yeah, 8 hours is a lot. I don't really draw 8 hours a day...but I also am not a professional. Are these two things linked? Probably. I am trying to get better and better about my work ethic though and I am working my way up to 8 hours a day.

Thanks for the compliment though!

If income is ever your goal, I think you could make a tidy sum doing portraits, cake.

Tam on
    edited June 2008
    Tam wrote: »
    If income is ever your goal, I think you could make a tidy sum doing portraits, cake.

Thanks Tam, I have had a few people try to commission me for portrait work but I never felt ready to take them on.

Don't worry, I'm with you. When I say a couple quick studies or whatnot, I mean at the very least, day-in, day-out, weekends included. I'm very keen to go full-tilt at it as the main activity every day, I'm just... well, only just getting started, and not totally sure how to structure my work.

Also I love your stuff. It's doubly heart-wrenching for me because value in particular is my weak spot.

Well if a live model is definately not an option working from photographs is fine. The main issue with drawing from photographs is that your drawings will never feel very life-like. I don't know how to explain the difference but you can usually tell whether somebody has drawn something from a photo versus life. There are exceptions but those are the guys who put in so many thousands of drawings from life that making something feel life-like is no trouble at all.

But you can certainly learn most core drawing skills from photos to an extent. It will be somewhat difficult to make the transition into life drawing afterward though. I would suggest picking up some good nude reference, and just working from those photos. The key is to get good reference. Not just any old naked picture from the internet.

Thank you for the compliment, I appreciate it. Just stick to your work and you will get to where you want to go. I highly suggest you find some good training though if you can. And a life drawing class or two at a local adult school or community college wouldn't hurt. Just be weary of what you are taught at those places because the teaching can be suspect. Though, I have more faith in just about any community college art program than just about any university art program. Getting any model time is good.

And if you really need a place to start I suggest right here: http://www.erikgist.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=131

The man who wrote that tutorial is one of my instructors and a good friend and he knows his shit. Here is a thread of his life drawing work on ca.org.

rts on
  • isaac17isaac17 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Hello one and all,

I'm 18 right now, just got out of high school, and I'm wondering what sort of careers are possible in art. I don't have really high expectations for income, but I DO plan on supporting a family sometime in the future, so I need to be able to move up to earning around 90,000 per year after a while. I have a year and a half of college generals done from AP Classes in high school, and I have enough money saved up that I'm going to a year of school starting in september. I know I should never have the 'I'm special' mindset, but I know I'm fairly intelligent and have a lot of confidence in going where ever I want to go in life. I also have an intense ability to focus and work hard on a project I feel passionately about.

Most of my interest lies in wanting to draw/do photoshop, but I want to work on my own projects. Ideally for me would be doing the comic thing, I obviously don't have the creative genius to do something as hilarious as Penny Arcade, but something along the lines of Megatokyo or Machall seem more within my reach (though I don't think Ian/Matt really made any money doing machall, I think Fred does megatokyo for a living). I don't like planning on my wife having a career, so income does play a big part. Other careers I've thought about include being a concept artist, art director, or just an artist on a game development team.

Like I said, I don't have any idea what the industry is like, or what my chances are. I plan on going to an art school when I get back from my mission in 3 years (I'll already have 2+ years of school done when I get back), but I really have no idea what kind of career options are out there.

Any and all advice is GREATLY appreciated, thanks.

isaac17 on
    edited June 2008
    If you are looking for art careers which rely heavily upon drawing you are looking at the following:

Fine Artist - You paint and make money through gallery work or portraiture.
    Illustrator - You paint work for reproduction on cards, covers, editorials etc.
    Concept Artist - You develope ideas and designs for games or movies.
    Penciler - You draw panels inc comic books.
    Inker - You ink the work of a penciler (comic books).
    Storyboard Artist - You setup compositions and scene for movies, television or games by doing very quick little sequential drawings.

Less heavily upon drawing:

Art Director - You hire and manage artists, their projects and the organizational aspects of different projects involving artists.
    3D Modeling - Taking concepts and rendering them in 3D for movies and games.

There are other careers that are more loosely associated with art such as graphic designer, etc.

As far as art as a career, there are few options that will make you $90k a year. The less actual artwork involved the higher you probably get paid.

Fine art (example) is a bit of a wild card because you could aim for more conceptual or abstract work and have a slim chance to make a lot of money, or for representational work and have a slim chance to make a lot of money. The difference being of course that representational work involves a decade of study before you are probably good enough to do very well, and conceptual/abstract work you could probably start doing tomorrow. Also, if you go the representational route and you are good you will make money. But you have to be able to compete with the best out there, and some of those guys are in their 70s and 80s and have been doing it for 50 years.

Illustration (example) is more about storytelling, but it requires an incredible amount of technical skill. Does not pay well, but if you really love drawing, painting and storytelling...this is probably where you want to be.

Concept art (example) is not as fun as everyone thinks it is. You are normally just drawing some basic soldier or something from front back and side so that a modeler can take that and turn it into something three dimensional without ever needing to learn to draw very well. Just remember that everything you see any a game has to be modeled these days, so if there is a lamp on a table some concept artist is drawing that lamp. I have heard of concept artists making $80k a year and up, but I imagine that is pretty fucking rare.

Storyboard (example) artists get paid pretty well. Or at least the good ones do. You are basically planning out the entire compositional feel of a movie or game so that a director or art director can take credit for it later. That doesn't matter to you though because you love doing it hopefully. In storyboarding the faster the better. If your storyboards look nice they are going to tell you to do twice as many next time because they don't want nice. They want fast. So if you like the idea of really diving into a scene and working out what something is going to look like in detail, this isnt for you.

Art directors don't normally know how to draw very well honestly. These guys are managers, not artists for the most part. Some have art backgrounds and they all have good eyes but they mostly are just giving out feedback to artists. I don't know what the money is like in this field.

Someone else will have to talk about web comics or comics in general because I don't know much about them.

rts on
    edited June 2008
    I DO plan on supporting a family sometime in the future, so I need to be able to move up to earning around 90,000 per year after a while…

If you want to make that kind of money, don’t go into creative work. Aside from big city senior art directors and a few very successful graphic designers (people who either own big firms or are partners in big ones) almost nobody makes that kind of money. And the people who do work 60-70 hours in a slow week—in other words, they work lawyer hours for a third the money. To get an idea of what creative salaries are like, check out the AIGA salary survey. Digital video and 3D work isn’t great for a working dad because the work is pretty unstable and the companies are constantly laying people off or going under.

Seriously, if you want to do creative work, do it because you’re so passionate about it that you can’t do anything else. Honestly, if you’re even asking about career options and financial reward you probably don’t have the burning passion that yields big financial success. So don’t go into this field because you expect to make a great income, raise a family without financial hardships, and retire well.

supabeast on
    edited June 2008
    If you want to do creative things, you can get a job that lets you do creative things during the day.

Or you can have a job that allows you to do creative thing outside of work.

NibCrom on
  • GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    As far as these illustration numbers go-

I'm not in the business of revealing anyones financial information, but good illustrators can make 90k a year from just free-lancing. Granted it could mean working a 60-70 hour week based on your speed and wether your job frequency is normal or not, but it is ceratainly done.

And out of solid habit of disagreeing with Cake, I'd like to contend this notion that illustrators require an incredible amount of technical skill. There is a large population of illustrators that are more in the folk, cartoon, conceptual, abstract, and collage area that are still quite successful without being able to draw like Raphael.

But to Isaac- Just about all successful art peoples have one thing in common- the love for art. If you want to do an art job becuase it sounds like a fun easy way to make money, you are going to be disapointed with the outcome.

Basically what supabeast said

Greatnation on
    edited June 2008
    And out of solid habit of disagreeing with Cake, I'd like to contend this notion that illustrators require an incredible amount of technical skill. There is a large population of illustrators that are more in the folk, cartoon, conceptual, abstract, and collage area that are still quite successful without being able to draw like Raphael.

I was wondering how long you would let me go on my art rampage.

In any case, we all agree that income had best not be the primary motivation behind an art career.

rts on
    edited June 2008
    It's horseshit that artists get paid so poorly, to do well in the industry you have to be incredibly passionate about what you do but only make the same amount of money as some IT hack (what I do) who could'nt give two shits about what he does (like I do).
    I'd love to switch careers one day, but I've got no misconceptions about hitting the big time, i'll probably have to take a pay cut but to get out of IT....shit, it'd be worth it.

Mustang on
This discussion has been closed.