As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's Play : Secret of Mana - Episode 15 : Over 30GB Served this month!

1789101113»

• Vangu VegroVangu Vegro Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I hate to break this to you, but ending the video the way you did may have been a mistake - IIRC you're gonna have to go through the whole dungeon/subway thing again. Going on through that place with the Heck Hounds would have been a better idea. Oh well, at least you know the way now, and the bosses will still be dead...

Vangu Vegro on
    In my PC: Ryzom, Diablo III, Naruto Shippuden UNSR, The Old Republic
    In my 3DS: Super Smash Bros, AC New Leaf
    Last game completed: Steamworld Dig
  • Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I hate to break this to you, but ending the video the way you did may have been a mistake - IIRC you're gonna have to go through the whole dungeon/subway thing again. Going on through that place with the Heck Hounds would have been a better idea. Oh well, at least you know the way now, and the bosses will still be dead...

Ugh-- really? It looked like the water dried up to me, allowing me to enter the middle door.

Doc Holliday on
    PSN & Live: buckwilson
  • Vangu VegroVangu Vegro Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

Ugh-- really? It looked like the water dried up to me, allowing me to enter the middle door.

Well, it has been a few years since I played that part of the game, so I might be wrong. But hey, prepare for the worst and hope for the best, Í guess...

Oh, and it's advisible for you to search well for weapon orbs - once you complete the dungeon and the continent sinks again, they're lost forever...

Vangu Vegro on
    In my PC: Ryzom, Diablo III, Naruto Shippuden UNSR, The Old Republic
    In my 3DS: Super Smash Bros, AC New Leaf
    Last game completed: Steamworld Dig
  • Pixel BluePixel Blue Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    -

Pixel Blue on
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So according to my stats, 60 people downloaded my last LP, but there are, like, 3 people active in this thread.

Maybe they like watching lets plays but don't have anything to contribute?

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • CulverCulver Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Goumindong wrote: »
    So according to my stats, 60 people downloaded my last LP, but there are, like, 3 people active in this thread.

Yep! Like me! (except now of course)

Granted I've posted in here before, but honestly I'm mostly a lurker here in PA n' shizz. Anyways keep it up Doc! I've never really played SoM before, so every episode is a new experience for me. 8-)

Culver on
    Brawl FC: 3050-7350-3428
    360 GamerTag: Culver42
    Sc2 Beta ID : Culver. Culver
    edited June 2008
    Goumindong wrote: »

I'll have none of your so-called logic; everyone has something to contribute.

Everyone.

No contribution too small. :winky:

Doc Holliday on
  • SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I watched a few of your videos then got sidetracked by other stuff, then forgot about it when you disappeared for a bit, and haven't quite got around to start watching it again. Which I will, probably in like an hour or so, actually.

And that's how I contributed to the thread.

Schide on
  • Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I don't feel like reading 20 pages or watching all the LP's :P, but I wanted to offer some random advice.

First, based on an early video, don't say "uh," "um," and "sooooooooo" so much! Just don't say anything when you're collecting your thoughts. We know you're there with us and it sounds much better. I'm watching #12 right now and it's much better, so maybe this has already been addressed.

Second, a gameplay hint. The level 1 boomerang attack (and maybe the whip attack as well, I can't remember) can hit twice if you use them at close range - once on the windup motion and once on the actual attack. This makes it one of the most powerful weapons in the game. I haven't seen you using this but I haven't seen many of the vids yet.

Marty81 on
    edited June 2008
    Marty81 wrote: »
    I don't feel like reading 20 pages or watching all the LP's :P, but I wanted to offer some random advice.

First, based on an early video, don't say "uh," "um," and "sooooooooo" so much! Just don't say anything when you're collecting your thoughts. We know you're there with us and it sounds much better. I'm watching #12 right now and it's much better, so maybe this has already been addressed.

Second, a gameplay hint. The level 1 boomerang attack (and maybe the whip attack as well, I can't remember) can hit twice if you use them at close range - once on the windup motion and once on the actual attack. This makes it one of the most powerful weapons in the game. I haven't seen you using this but I haven't seen many of the vids yet.

Ah, interesting. I didn't know that about the boomerang and whip.

Regarding "ah, uhm soo" yeah it's been addressed. It's also been addressed that I also have long areas where I don't speak, which weirds people out, too. Really it all just depends on my mood when I record the game.

Since I've never played it before it actually requires a bit of brain power to play, and then a bit of brain power to talk, leaving me with not enough brain power to say interesting things.

However! I think the latest episode is pretty good as far as my commentary.

Doc Holliday on
  • JellySalmonJellySalmon Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm downtrodden because of Celtic happiness. Perhaps a Let's Play will brighten my day.

JellySalmon on
    What do you say we take a relaxed attitude towards work and watch the baseball game? The nye Mets are my favorite squadron.
  • FreakleFreakle Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Rawr thanks for ep 15! I'll leave some comments after i check it out.

Freakle on
    edited June 2008
    I'll try and record an LP tonight. The in-laws were in town so I didn't really have the time this past weekend.

Doc Holliday on
  • Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Ahh, there's nothing like a glass of wine and some SoM let's play after a long day. I thoroughly enjoyed eps 14 and 15.

Dude, you're so ADD when you play. I'm pretty sure you're underleveled right now, and it's no wonder why - even when you fight enemies, you hardly ever kill them! You just poke them a couple of times and move on. It's simultaneously frustrating and hilarious to watch. Also, I'm probably not the only one watching who's tense when you charge into the next set of enemies without pausing to heal yourself and you have a guy at like 6 hp.

(PS make more vids)

Marty81 on
  • gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Marty81: in general, he levels between episodes, so we don't have to watch him wade through tons of enemies. I agree that he does, however, let the characters get a bit low. I've come to enjoy it, actually.

That's right. Doc Holliday gave me the sadisms. :(
    :winky:

gilrain on
  • NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I just wanna say great job again, I'm really loving this let's play. I'm sad you're coming to the end.

Tip:
    I don't know how useful this is so ymmv, but you can set you other characters to charge their weapons on the right side of their attack AI screen. Sure it's kind of annoying when walking around trying to getting through masses of enemies but could be very useful during boss fights. Especially if you're focusing on spamming magic with Popo. Nothing like level 5 or above mind you just like have them charge level 2 or 3 or 4.

NeoToma on
  • AmpixAmpix Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I really like this Let's Play, but I've really got a lot of catching up to do :P
    So is this finished or anything, or are you still going on?
    Anyway, keep up the good work (or not, w/e)

Ampix on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2008
    :cry:

gilrain on
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    gilrain wrote: »

You had a good thing goin' here Doc, any chance of finishing?

ASimPerson on
    edited October 2008
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    gilrain wrote: »

You had a good thing goin' here Doc, any chance of finishing?

I daresay right now he's going to be a bit busy with something else going on around here.

Schide on
    edited October 2008
    That's actually why I bumped it. I had honestly not seen Doc on the forums in like 3 months.

ASimPerson on
    edited October 2008
    I was sneaking around the PAX forum and such.

Honestly I was a little disheartened by apotheos's post in the rules thread :

"Do you want to make one? If so, ask yourself, can I make it actually funny? Evidence submitted to this forum strongly suggests that no, you can't."

I tend to agree.

Doc Holliday on
    edited October 2008

"Do you want to make one? If so, ask yourself, can I make it actually funny? Evidence submitted to this forum strongly suggests that no, you can't."

I tend to agree.

So do I, which is why I stopped doing mine.

I would suggest, however, there are exceptions.

ASimPerson on
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, who cares if you're entertaining people if some random mod makes a broad generalization that has nothing to do with you specifically.

Schide on
  • TVs_FrankTVs_Frank Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Most aren't funny. Not even on Something Awful. Sometimes they're good because of nostalgia. Sometimes they're good because you like watching people suffer a BS game. Sometimes they're good because of the skill involved. Right now I've been watching a Hexen one and it's just a straight run through on Pope difficulty with very little commentary and he makes it look easy. It's still entertaining.

TVs_Frank on
    edited October 2008

I tend to agree.
    It's a shame you feel that way. I very much enjoyed them, and quite looked forward to each episode. I really hope you find your way to finishing up the game. If you do, you have my viewership and thanks, anyway.

gilrain on
  • FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yup, I was enjoying this thread also. I'd rather have a person whose simply likable and entertaining do a Let's Play than someone who's trying to crack a joke every 3 seconds. If you ever start this up again, I'd watch it.

Food on