As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Spielberg's Wii game "Boom Blox"

• FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    How much of a role did Spielberg actually play in making this game? Am I wrong in thinking he is mostly there for marketing purposes?

Food on
  • RenegadeDrizztRenegadeDrizzt Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Food wrote: »
    How much of a role did Spielberg actually play in making this game? Am I wrong in thinking he is mostly there for marketing purposes?
    actually, according to the article i read in electronic gaming monthly, spielberg stopped by and checked on the development of the game at least once a week -- offering various gameplay and style suggestions. so while i'm certain that marketing is surely a factor, he also had a pretty large influence on the game itself.

RenegadeDrizzt on
  • zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    actually, according to the article i read in electronic gaming monthly, spielberg stopped by and checked on the development of the game at least once a week -- offering various gameplay and style suggestions. so while i'm certain that marketing is surely a factor, he also had a pretty large influence on the game itself.

He was also heavily involved in Animaniacs and Tiny Toons so it's not like the guy's been sitting around doing nothing in between Jurassic Park and Indy Jones movies.

zilo on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Don't forget about Freekazoid.

Couscous on
  • CarolinaBBQCarolinaBBQ Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Oh god, he did Freakazoid?!?

I saw that the first time while shrooming.....freaked me the hell out. As soon as I started to wonder where a villian had gone to, he'd drive by and the story picked back up with him. Then I actually thought, "wish they'd do a musical number".....bam.........they went into a whole routine. Like I was controlling it with my mind or something.

If I'd been a braver man and not so freaked out, I would have asked to see something naked; preferably with big ole titties.

But yeah....boom blox is smooth. Hate the shooting. Wife loves the characters. The Graveyard area seriously pisses me off.

CarolinaBBQ on
    Scri33le.png
  • Fatty McBeardoFatty McBeardo Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    WILL OSKAR SCHINDLER SAVE THE JEW BLOX FROM THE NAZI BLOX BY PUTTING THEM TO WORK IN THE BLOX MUNITIONS FACTORY!?!

COME ON USE SPOILER TAGS JERK

I love pleasant surprises like Boom Blox. So many people dismissed this game because the early screens looked like nothing more than Jenga and Spielberg's name being tied to it seemed more like a liability than a plus. I know I had 0 expectations for this title, I figured it was going to be lame. Now I can't wait to play it.

Fatty McBeardo on
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    WILL OSKAR SCHINDLER SAVE THE JEW BLOX FROM THE NAZI BLOX BY PUTTING THEM TO WORK IN THE BLOX MUNITIONS FACTORY!?!

COME ON USE SPOILER TAGS JERK

I love pleasant surprises like Boom Blox. So many people dismissed this game because the early screens looked like nothing more than Jenga and Spielberg's name being tied to it seemed more like a liability than a plus. I know I had 0 expectations for this title, I figured it was going to be lame. Now I can't wait to play it.

I was skeptical at first. But I kept my mouth shut. Everyone who tries it (including myself) seems to really like it. The music gets a tad annoying but thats the worst part (ironically, thats the major flaw in "the world ends with you" also)
    I don't need to buy another game until chrismas with what I have now and my backlog.I may just skip on game shopping until I have everything worked down to a pulp.

Viscountalpha on
  • GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I was skeptical too but me and my extremely non-casual gamer friends enjoyed the hell out of this for several hours. I think we could have kept going if not for the music and our weak wii muscles.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    If the music is bothering people, why not go the usual annoying-gaming-music-is-bothering-me-route and mute the TV and turn on a stereo/radio or something?

Also can you turn down the music in the options?

slash000 on
  • Tails CorraTails Corra Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Any time I feel like I'm tired of the main game, Create mode saves the day.

I recently made a device similar to the cross-bow which I call the Shot Gun. I create a retangular housing with immobile blocks and make one wall out of a cluster of Bomb Blocks (it seems explosions favor quantity over size of said blocks), I then fill the inside with several single blocks stacked on top of each other, filling the 'barrel' for about five layers.

I usually compose my firing range of a collection of sheep and squirrels and if I'm feeling evil I end it with an imobile wall.

Tails Corra on
    Wii FC: 4136 3615 8283 3576
    Brawl: 3265 4738 2973
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    slash000 wrote: »
    If the music is bothering people, why not go the usual annoying-gaming-music-is-bothering-me-route and mute the TV and turn on a stereo/radio or something?

I wish I could have the sound-effects on and turn the music off. But like I said, Thats the very worst part and thats very minimal. I have yet to get to the creation part. Overall a very neat little game.

Viscountalpha on
  • mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I would really love to display this at work, but we have the Wii hooked up to a nice TV, but in a game where there is a lot of throwing, the possibilities for the wiimote to end up getting thrown into the TV by some idiot child is pretty high.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The fiancee and I have been playing this since Friday before last, and we are tearing this game up. It's so fun, and someone who doesn't play games can get used to this quickly. This is the first game my fiancee has played (ever.... seriously), and she's even beaten me on some of the castle siege levels (which are my favorite). This is a must buy in my opinion.

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    the easter egg was the thing that tipped me into buying this, and now knowing it's gone, I don't want to get the game anymore :|

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • TwistedFateTwistedFate Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    the easter egg was the thing that tipped me into buying this, and now knowing it's gone, I don't want to get the game anymore :|

What easter egg?

TwistedFate on
    thIs fOrUm dEsErvEs A bEttEr clAss Of OttEr, And I'm gOnnA gIvE It tO 'Em. yOU'll sEE, I'll shOw yA
    edited May 2008
    PikaPuff wrote: »

What easter egg?

Head tracking.

Couscous on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Bah, it's a useless gimmick that would've been more trouble than it's worth. You have to hold the sensor bar on your head, I'm sure Nintendo didn't want them endorsing "improper use" of their hardware. The game itself is more fun than head tracking would've been.

Plus I'm sure it's not long until we'll have a head tracking program available for free through the use of Twilight Hack.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

Watch Minority Report and then play this. Everytime I see someone play, it looks like they are navigating the screens in that damn movie.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • CyrixdCyrixd Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Boom Blox is incredible. It's so much more than I thought it was going to be, both in amount of content, creativity, available features, and pure fun. It's already shaping up to be one of my favorite Wii games.

I had a friend over today to play Sins of a Solar Empire on LAN, but first I wanted to show him Boom Blox and try out the party mode. We played for 2 hours, went to eat, came back and played for 2 more hours before we finally stopped. There's just so much to do, and so many different ways to play...

This is exactly the kind of game I want more of on the Wii. Unique, innovative experience completely reinforced by the controller, and unable to be done on any other console.

Cyrixd on
    Nintendo ID/PSN: CyrixD
    SteamID: FronWewq
    Battle.net: Orange#1845
    3DS Friend Code: 1289-9498-5797
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Listen up people, in order for me to rent this game, you're going to have to return it first.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • MooreningMoorening Registered User regular
    edited May 2008

I wish I could have the sound-effects on and turn the music off. But like I said, Thats the very worst part and thats very minimal. I have yet to get to the creation part. Overall a very neat little game.
    Good news, you can turn the annoying music off. At the main menu got to extras then options. Sound is there and you can shut off the stupid music and leave sound effects on.

Moorening on
    It would appear there ain't no rest for the wicked...who knew?
  • SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Moorening wrote: »

Good news, you can turn the annoying music off. At the main menu got to extras then options. Sound is there and you can shut off the stupid music and leave sound effects on.

I kinda like the music. :oops: I do agree that they could have had more variety in it though, like normal music when playing the Explore missions, but theme versions for the adventure modes. It wouldn't have been that bad then.

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
  • MooreningMoorening Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    SoulGate wrote: »
    I kinda like the music. :oops: I do agree that they could have had more variety in it though, like normal music when playing the Explore missions, but theme versions for the adventure modes. It wouldn't have been that bad then.
    Ah, I just got it yesterday and went through all the explore missions, haven't hit the adventure stuff yet. I'll have to turn on the music when I play those tonight and see what you're talking about.

I do have to say I did pretty well with the Explore mode right up until the laser section, then again at the grabbing section, I just don't have a quick enough trigger finger or a steady enough hand for either of those. I think those are the only things I got less than gold on. After playing for two and a half hours I've come to realize that I didn't play enough of the baseball in Wii Sports, because I'll be damned if I'm not sore today.

Moorening on
    It would appear there ain't no rest for the wicked...who knew?
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm thinking about renting this game as a "date night" thing for my wife, and I wanted to know if all the multiplayer modes are available from the get-go, or if they have to be unlocked. The other question is this: can the multiplayer modes be played with a single wiimote, or do you really need two?

Delzhand on
    edited June 2008
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I'm thinking about renting this game as a "date night" thing for my wife, and I wanted to know if all the multiplayer modes are available from the get-go, or if they have to be unlocked. The other question is this: can the multiplayer modes be played with a single wiimote, or do you really need two?

Bah, I just wrote a reply to your other thread but it became locked.

Yes, all multiplayer modes are unlocked from the get-go. I think in co-op mode you don't even need to beat levels in order to progress, but there are different medals you can try to achieve.
    I think you can play with one Wiimote, you just need to select both players using the same controller. I'm 99% sure, but I'll go test it.

EDIT: All multiplayer modes are unlocked, however, in cooperative mode only the first 'world' (out of four) is unlocked. There's a ton of content in the first world, but even still it's not hard to get a passing medal and unlock the next world rather quickly.
    You can share Wiimotes in all the turn-based modes. In the simultaneous head-to-head modes you cannot, for obvious reasons.

Cyrixd on
  • ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Do you unlock more towers to knock over in multiplayer?

Specifically the game mode where you're hitting the blocks with point values. There's only a couple of levels and it gets a bit repetitive.

ANTVGM64 on
    edited June 2008
    There's no unlocking in competitive mode. What you see is what you get.

However, don't forget about the extensive level creator utility, which you can use to edit multiplayer modes. I haven't played around with it very much, but you can alter existing multiplayer levels or make your own based on existing rulesets. There's as much content as you want there to be.

Cyrixd on
  • Myself980Myself980 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I like that the start of this forum is like "pshaw, this looks like dog turd" and the end of it is "OMG it's pretty cool I've got a beard now". I should go grab it.

Myself980 on
    Bad command or cheese. Abort/Retry/French?
  • Shoegaze99Shoegaze99 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Guek wrote: »
    I think Boom Blox is going to suffer [saleswise] at the hands of Mario Kart, and then Wii Fit.

not only that, i think it's going to suffer from having horrible, bland box art as well. they'll probably have a generic, forgettable marketing campaign to match.
    If Carnival Games can sell a million units, this game should do fine.

Carnival Games is inexpensive and has a clear-cut concept that a lot of people are familiar with, and it is apparently advertised pretty well, at least for kids' shows or something. I saw a TV ad once. It's a $20 game.

Carnival Games is $20.

Shit. I did not know that. I'm going out to buy it tomorrow. For real, I really wanted it for the family -- we love to play stuff like this together -- but I couldn't do full price for something like this. Twenty bucks, though, = sold.

Shoegaze99 on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Shoegaze99 wrote: »
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Guek wrote: »
    I think Boom Blox is going to suffer [saleswise] at the hands of Mario Kart, and then Wii Fit.

not only that, i think it's going to suffer from having horrible, bland box art as well. they'll probably have a generic, forgettable marketing campaign to match.
    If Carnival Games can sell a million units, this game should do fine.

Carnival Games is inexpensive and has a clear-cut concept that a lot of people are familiar with, and it is apparently advertised pretty well, at least for kids' shows or something. I saw a TV ad once. It's a $20 game.

Carnival Games is $20.

Shit. I did not know that. I'm going out to buy it tomorrow. For real, I really wanted it for the family -- we love to play stuff like this together -- but I couldn't do full price for something like this. Twenty bucks, though, = sold.

No, I made a mistake, it's actually $40, which is hard to believe, considering what it is..

slash000 on
    edited June 2008
    I got this for Father's Day and it's pretty pehnonemly phun.

Improvolone on
  • VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This game needs a good website to share levels you make, and a better way of creating them with special rules instead of just editing the ones with a rule you like. Other then that, its one of the best games out at the moment for people to play together.

Velmeran on
    Vechloran.png
  • Shooter McgavinShooter Mcgavin Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I gotta agree with you guys, this game is somehow crazy fun and addicting, especially when multiple people are involved. Good stuff.

I also believe it should sell well in the wake of Mario Kart and Wii Fit. I don't know about MK, but it's impossible to find Wii Fit anywhere, so this would be a good alternative to get instead.

Shooter Mcgavin on
    banner.gif
  • ANTVGM64ANTVGM64 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    The problem with this game is that the premis sound so boring you have to actually get people playing for anyone to enjoy it.

"What do you do?"

"Hit blocks...with a baseballs"

Not really the most exciting pitch in the world.

ANTVGM64 on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Velmeran wrote: »
    This game needs a good website to share levels you make, and a better way of creating them with special rules instead of just editing the ones with a rule you like. Other then that, its one of the best games out at the moment for people to play together.
    Yeah, that could've been way more intuitive, although the sorts of rules in many of the levels would be pretty complex to be able to set manually. But yeah, once I figured it out I just started deleting everything in the level and starting from scratch using their rules.

Even then, it's not perfect: I made a color Jenga using black and white blocks, but the color wheel lands on only the rainbow colors that were in that level, so it's basically normal Jenga.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Shoegaze99Shoegaze99 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    ANTVGM64 wrote: »
    The problem with this game is that the premis sound so boring you have to actually get people playing for anyone to enjoy it.

"What do you do?"

"Hit blocks...with a baseballs"

Not really the most exciting pitch in the world.
    It's the kind of game that would really benefit from a four- or five-level demo.

Ahhh, Nintendo, your online service. It lacks.

Shoegaze99 on
    edited June 2008
    The kitten levels are maddening.

I got gold on all of them, but still, my arm! It aches!

Improvolone on
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This game makes me sad that the Wii is not an option when it comes to DLC. I would totally buy new packs of multiplayer maps. 4-player Throw and Grab = awesome.

Djiem on
    edited June 2008
    Djiem wrote: »
    This game makes me sad that the Wii is not an option when it comes to DLC. I would totally buy new packs of multiplayer maps. 4-player Throw and Grab = awesome.
    There is DLC on the Wii. How big are the user created maps?

Couscous on